Hair Growth and Weight Loss Challenge 2013

Duchess007

The Fitness Blender channel on YouTube is SO awesome. I highly recommend that channel for anyone.

Had another giant salad today, courtesy of Walden Farms. No turkey bacon today tho.

I also had a tilapia roulade. I neglected to take a pic of mine, but here's a pic of the slightly different ones I make for my hubby.

image-440073380.jpg

Tilapia roulade

1 filet of tilapia
2 TBSP of the crab mixture upthread (minus the avocado)
Old Bay
Paprika
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Pam or other cooking spray

Preheat the oven to 400
Spray a baking dish with Pam
Sprinkle the "wrong side" of the filet with Old Bay.
Place the crab mix on the wrong side of the filet, as if filling a burrito
Roll the tilapia as if rolling a burrito.
Place on the prepared dish.
Sprinkle the top of the roulade with garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven, spray the top with Pam, and set the oven to broil.
Return to the oven and cook until golden brown (make sure you're watching- this happens in just a couple of minutes).

Occasionally, I put a chunk of cheese inside the filet if I'm feeling decadent. Mozzarella and pepper jack both go well with this recipe, but significantly increase the calories (this is how I prepare for my hubby).

These freeze well, so I usually try to keep about a dozen in the freezer.

I'll update with calories after I calculate.

As for my hair, I'll be doing a length check on Friday. I'm hoping to get to BSL by the end of the year. I'm in Princess Leia buns today.

image-2657579426.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

Duchess007

Didn't feel like cooking so I grabbed some sushi. Dragon California Roll and a salad. Salad: 40 calories (iceberg, onion, tomato, carrot, Walden Farms Sesame ginger dressing). Sushi: 410 calories.

image-210774420.jpg

Hair-wise, I'm doing a heated DC for an hour and then twisting it up.

image-1094016918.jpg

image-91800512.jpg

image-190667202.jpg

Last edited:

Duchess007

Awful quiet in here....

Today i have eaten: a salad for lunch (40 cal), pistachios as a snack (100 cal), 2 apples (150 cal) and a V8 (120 cal) for breakfast, celery (25 cal) and a TBSP of vanilla almond butter (90 cal- go buy some today y'all), and Philadelphia roll sushi (400 cal). About to have about four cups of popcorn (150 cal) and watch The Avengers.

About 1200 calories today. Did a 50 minute workout, but no idea how many calories I burned.

Down four pounds.

image-3835807561.jpg

Duchess007

Had veggie soup (75 cal) and a salad for lunch. Salad was: iceberg (15 cal), salsa (40 cal), about an ounce of taco-seasoned chicken (30 cal), and 1/4 cup shredded cheddar jack(100 cal). Oh, and Walden Farms bacon ranch (0 cal)
75+185=260

It was great. Black beans would have set it off.

image-1607405618.jpg

In hair news, I gained about an inch of growth last week using the inversion method.

image-2819636328.jpg
image-707515413.jpg

Last edited:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Had veggie soup (75 cal) and a salad for lunch. Salad was: iceberg (15 cal), salsa (40 cal), about an ounce of taco-seasoned chicken (30 cal), and 1/4 cup shredded cheddar jack(100 cal). Oh, and Walden Farms bacon ranch (0 cal)
75+185=260

It was great. Black beans would have set it off.

In hair news, I gained about an inch of growth last week using the inversion method.

Girl I swear I need you to cook for me lol. Your meals be looking and sounding so good. And best part is they are good for you. Where do you get your recipes?

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

Duchess007

Girl I swear I need you to cook for me lol. Your meals be looking and sounding so good. And best part is they are good for you. Where do you get your recipes?

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

Thanks, HairPleezeGrow! Girl it's a Top Chef quick-fire challenge in this house. :) I just buy a ton of produce each week and pick 3 or 4 proteins. And then I use what I have to make whatever I can think of. I don't use recipes, just cook to taste.

I try to stick to a "theme" every week to give me ideas. And I try to always have one soup option, one salad option, and a main dish.

This week I'm going Cajun. So, we have gumbo (with brown rice for hubby), blackened fish, southern style cabbage, and sliced blackened chicken for salad. Made cornbread and ribs for my hubby.

Next week I'll do Americana- smoked salmon (will use in salad), pot roast for hubby, roast chicken, veggie soup, roasted zucchini, and stuffed peppers.

I tend to post less frequently these days because it's really quiet in here. But I'll post my recipes this week. Maybe one a day.

Last edited:

Duchess007

Gumbo

image-3998366879.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
20 stalks of celery, diced
3 red peppers, diced
3 green peppers, diced
3 yellow onions, diced
3 bags frozen diced okra
2 28 oz. cans diced tomatoes
3/4 cup bacon fat (can sub margarine or coconut oil)
2 cups flour
4 pounds raw, peeled, deveined shrimp
2 pounds diced chicken breast
1 pound sliced andouille sausage
5 cups beef broth
5 cups chicken broth
10 bay leaves
1/4 cup Onion powder
1/4 cup Garlic powder
1/4 cup Smoked Paprika
1/4 cup Black pepper
2 TBSP Cayenne Pepper
2 TBSP water
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
Your favorite hot sauce

In your largest sauté pan, cook sausage in 2 TBSP bacon fat on medium-high heat for 5 minutes, turning often. Add chicken and cook until golden, about 2 minutes. Remove meats from pan, reserving drippings.

Add celery and onion to the pan and cook in reserved drippings over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until onions begin to appear translucent. Season with onion powder, paprika, black pepper, and garlic powder to taste.

Add red and green peppers to celery and onion mix. Add 3 TBSP water and cook the mix for another 2-3 minutes. Set the mix aside. Turn heat to medium.

In the same pan, add remaining bacon fat and heat through until melted. Add flour and stir constantly, creating a roux. Cook- stirring constantly- for about 10 minutes.

Add 1 tsp each of onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, and cayenne and mix well. Add 1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce, mixing well. Continue cooking- stirring constantly- over medium heat for another 10 minutes.

Transfer roux to a stock pot. Heat burner to high. Add 2 cups chicken stock and whisk to incorporate. Gradually add remaining stock.

Once all stock is incorporated, add veggies, bay leaves, remaining onion powder, paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, and cayenne. Mix to incorporate.

Turn heat to low and simmer for one hour. (This is a good time to clean up, bake cornbread, or cowash and mix your DC!)

Add Worcestershire, hot sauce to taste, okra, and shrimp. Cook over low for another 45 minutes. (This is a good time to cook your rice/sides, clean up, or apply your DC!)

Done- enjoy!

220 calories per 1 cup serving
Can serve in a bowl over a 1/4 cup scoop of rice (if so, be sure to note nutritional information)

Last edited:

Duchess007

Southern style cabbage

image-641334668.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
1 head cabbage, cored and sliced
2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
1 TBSP bacon fat or preferred oil
1 cup of your 1:3 ACV rinse
2 packets Goya jamón
2 TBSP onion powder
2 TBSP garlic powder
2 TBSP smoked paprika
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne

Heat bacon fat (or oil) in your largest lidded sauce pan over medium-high heat.

Add cabbage and onions. Add seasonings, turn to coat, and cook five minutes.

Add ACV mix, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover.

Cook 30 minutes or to your preferred tenderness. Can add hot sauce, but be mindful of the sodium!

Done- enjoy!

45 calories per 1 cup serving.
My hubby likes this with his ribs. I like to eat a bowl of this all by itself.

Last edited:

polished07

Hair Goals Current Length: Grazing APL 2013 Goal Length: BSL/ grazing MBL Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: natural Hair type: 4 C How you will achieve goal: 90% PSing with wigs/weaves, updos, buns, crochet braids anything to keep my hands outta my hurr! Take vits/drink water/ Dc/cowash as needed KISS my way to BSL and beyond ! Weight/Fitness Goals Current Weight: 168 Goal Weight: 145 Current Dress Size: 9 Goal Size: 6 Fitness Goal: run a 10k, finish turbofire stick with it, have great endurance, juice and eat a clean diet How you will achieve goal: cook often pack lunches always have a snack on me to avoid buying bs food, keep calorie count, motivation is my graduation looking and feeling fab and losing desired weight for tummy tuck next fall that I've been wanting for over 10+ yrs!

Wow! I forgot I was in this challenge

Fitness update: I'm 155 want to lose 10 by NYE
Hair update: I'm BSB and hoping to hit BSL by Dec I need about another inch to hit the top of my bra ill sub to this to remind me to continue to work hard!

Duchess007

Found 35 calorie bread at my grocery store and am going to make a PB&J tomorrow.

Comparison:
Regular PB&J is 440 calories: 70 per slice bread x 2= 140, 2 TBSP PB = 200, 2 TBSP Grape Jelly= 100

Light PB&J is 115 calories: 35 per slice bread x 2 = 70, 2 TBSP PB2= 45, 2 TBSP Walden Farms grape spread = 0

image-190947550.jpg
image-1677479304.jpg
image-1955762297.jpg

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I'm exercising consistently. It feels good. Eating is ok. It is clean, but not the cleanest. I have to go grocery shopping for some healthy snack items.

Duchess007

Wow, that 35 calorie bread is DRY. it's like eating Kleenex. iCan't.

PB2 and Walden Farms were great tho! I tried both the wheat and the white. 1 TBSP of PB2 and 1 TBSP of grape spread on each sammich. With bread, would be 185 calories for both (had I finished them both, which I didn't even come close to doing!).

I'm okay with 80 calories a slice if that will get me a regular food-like consistency. :-/

80x2=160 cal. (bread) + 45 cal. (PB2) + 0 cal. (Fruit spread) =205 calories. I can live with that. :lol:

Last edited:

Duchess007

Saw this 1200 Calorie (full-day) menu on Allrecipes.com and wanted to share. Also attached.

Allrecipes.com: “How low-cal can you go? This day’s menus do it in 1200 little old calories, with great taste and without skipping a meal—from Hawaiian kabobs to a nutty brown rice salad. There's even a fresh fruit yogurt pop for a snack.”

Meals: 4
Recipes: 10

Shopping List:45 items

Low-Calorie, Low-Fat, Summer

2 Hrs 30 Min
Dinner

Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs
Change Recipe

Appetizer | Main Dish
A light marinade of soy sauce, brown sugar, and sherry with sesame and spices tenderizes these chicken pineapple kabobs into an aloha grilled dream of a dish!
Prep 10 Min | Cook 20 Min | Ready in 2 Hrs 30 Min
Brown rice*
Change Recipe
Side Dish

Cucumber Sunomono
Change Recipe

Nutrition*
Calories: 230| Total Fat: 4 g | Cholesterol: 61 mg
See Details »