Hair Growth and Weight Loss Challenge 2014

BGT

Some of you ladies were asking about this challenge so here it is! This is for ladies who are both growing their hair long and want to lose weight. Contrary to popular belief, healthy hair and healthy body are not mutually exclusive!

Like this post if you want to enter the challenge and I'll update the thread.

@ajacks
@ajargon02
@All4Tris
@AmiJay
@ArinaDonne
@Barbie83
@blackeyes31626
@BGT
@BmoreCoco
@BranwenRosewood
@brookse2
@BronxJazzy
@Bunnyhaslonghair
@
camilla
@Chrissy811
@Ceemarie82
@ckisland
@cllncindy
@
cutiebe2
@cynd

@Dabaddest
@DivineNapps1728
@D.Lisha
@EnExitStageLeft
@Evallusion
@faithVA
@Froreal3
@GettingKinky
@Golden75
@HairPleezeGrow
HappyAtLast
@IronButterfly
@JassyMo
@jennwantslonghurr
@KaramelDiva1978
@Kareha
@Kerryann
@lacreolegurl
@ladybug71
@levette
@MangaManiac
@my1goodnerve
@myfaithrising
@Ms_CoCo37
@Nightingale
@pettymetty
@sharifeh
@shortdub78
@sj10460
@SkySurfer
@SunySydeofLyfe
@surecutie
@Veeology
@Whimsy
@xu93texas
@xxinsanexxchels

Last edited:

BGT

Hair Goals
Current Length: BSL
2014 Goal Length: Full MBL or grazing WL
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: relaxed
Hair type: 4 A/B
How you will achieve goal: 10-12 week stretches, co-washing, bunning, sew-ins, roller sets

Weight/Fitness Goals

Current Weight: 188
Goal Weight: 155
Current Dress Size: 12
Goal Size: 6-8
Fitness Goal: build my booty, lose the back fat and flatten my tummy
How you will achieve goal: I use My Fitness Pal to calculate my perfect caloric intake, which is 1280. I'm also making the goal to exercise 45+ min, 4-5 days a week. I love lifting weights and can't wait to get my muscles back!

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
I'm down:

Hair Goals

Current Length: NL Barely SL
2013 Goal Length: Full SL grazing APL
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: Natural
Hair type: 4 B/C
How you will achieve goal: Protective Styling mostly wiggin' it.

Weight/Fitness Goals

Current Weight: 130
Goal Weight: 125-130
Current Dress Size: 0
Goal Size: 0
Fitness Goal: I fluctuate between 125 and 135 pounds. (I'm 5'7) I'm not looking to loose weight but I certainly need to tone up.

IronButterfly

I need some inspiration!

Hair Goals

Current Length: SL
2014 Goal Length: I swear if I don't see APL (at least!) by the end of 2014, I'm going to need to be medicated.
Texture: Natural
How you will achieve goal: co-washing, bunning, intense protective styling (mostly using my scarves as protection)

Weight/Fitness Goals

Current Weight: 180-ish
Goal Weight: 145
Current Dress Size: 14
Goal Size: 10-12
Fitness Goal: burn fat/cellulite, build lean muscle.
How you will achieve goal: By making life changes rather than target weight goals. Exchanging a high fat/sugar diet for more protein, fruits and vegetables. Rather than going all balls out at the gym and getting bored, going to make daily exercise as routine as brushing my teeth. Going to start slow so I don't get frustrated and quit. Keep my diet simple so I don't get overwhelmed.

Last edited:

sj10460

Don't Come for me unless I send for you!
Hair Goals

2014 Goal Length: Full APL glazing BSB
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: natural Hair type: 4 A
How you will achieve goal: low manipulation, HYH; sewn-ins, box braids, vitamins and lots of water

Weight/Fitness Goals

Current Weight: 158 Goal Weight: 135 Current Dress Size:6/8 (okay I'm squeezing into my 6's:look:) Goal Size: 4
Fitness Goal: flatten my tummy and tone arms
How you will achieve goal: Daily cardio for 30mins and light strength training 3xs a week. vegetarian diet, eliminating all starch and drinking a gallon of water a day.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
Marking my spot. Seriously need to be in here.

Hair Goals

2014 Goal Length: APL
Texture: Natural
How you will achieve goal: protective styling, DC-ing consistently, daily moisturization and sealerization

Weight/Fitness Goals

Current Weight: 180-ish
Goal Weight: 130-140
Current Dress Size: 14
Goal Size: 8/10
Fitness Goal: burn fat/cellulite, build lean muscle, get stronger
How you will achieve goal: Make exercise a priority, cut dairy, sugar, empty carbs. Stop eating any thing and every thing till I bust! And again, exercise consistently. Choose a healthy life style.

Last edited:

myfaithrising

Yeah, I need to be in here for this challenge. Here are my stats:

Current Length: between SL and APL
2014Goal Length: Full APL
Hair type: 4b/4c
How you will achieve goal: More protective styling, finding a regimen that works and sticking to it, feeding my hair (and body) well from the inside out

Weight/Fitness Goals

Current Weight: 169
Goal Weight: 135
Current Dress Size: 10/12
Goal Size: 4/6
Fitness Goal: get to 25% body fat, I thing that will take care of everything. My body shape is not bad, I just have too much of everything:)
How you will achieve goal: I will work out (cardio and weights at least 4 days a week. I will also start monitoring my eating, making sure that I get enough protein and veggies and not load up on carbs like I usually do.

ckisland

Hair Goals
Current Length: nearly BSB
Hair type: 3cish, 4a, 4b
How you will achieve goal: weekly DC, cowashing, bunning, flexirod sets, stretching 12-16 weeks

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 190
Goal Weight: 140-145
Current Pant Size: 16 :nono:
Goal Size: 8-10
Fitness Goal: lose most (hopefully all) of my back rolls and gut; building a nice curvy booty; being hour glass-ish; being able to walk briskly 2 miles with no problem
How you will achieve goal: #1- Learning consistency
Phase 1: cook, no junk/crap food, cut out sugar, 90% gluten free + walking as primary form of exercise
Phase 2: cook from scratch, 80% Primal + ABS Diet exercises
Phase 3: 95% Primal, intermediate fasting + ABS Diet exercises + HIIT

Last edited:

SkySurfer

I'm in!

Hair Goals
Current Length: Grazing BSL
2014 Goal Length: Full BSL, grazing MBL
Hair type: 4 B
How you will achieve goal: Mostly crochet braids and buns

Weight/Fitness Goals
Height: 5'4''
Current Weight: 152 ish
Goal Weight: 125
Current Dress Size: UK size 10
Goal Size: UK size 6
Fitness Goal: Workout 4-5 times a week, split between cardio and strength
Eating three meals a day, minimal snacks works best for me :) I love my shape, I just want to be a smaller version of it.

Last edited:

ArinaDonne

This is a good Challenge. I love this and I do believe that when you are healthy inside, then it will show in your skin, nails, and hair.

Hair Goals
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: natural
Hair type: 4A (Maybe a mixture but I am not sure)
How you will achieve goal: co-washing, no heat/little heat, moisturize and seal, sticking with a regimen

Weight/Fitness Goals

Current Weight: 205
Goal Weight: 140
Fitness Goal: Flatten my tummy, tone legs and arms
How you will achieve goal: Juicing vegetables and fruits daily, walking daily, exercising, eating meals that are portioned

faithVA

Holding my spot. I'm sick right now but will update before the weekend is out.

Hair Goals
Current Length: NL
2014 Goal Length: Full SL
How you will achieve goal: The first thing is to nail down a regimen. I need to figure out how to moisturize and seal my hair. I know I will stick to it once I figure it out. I will be wigging it for a while until I figure it out.

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 158
Current Dress Size: 8
Fitness Goal:
I will do yoga at least 3x a week and as the weather allows I will walk 2 miles a day, 5 days a week.

Last edited:

jennwantslonghurr

I would like to join.

Hair Goals
Current Length: grazing BSL
2014 Goal Length: Full MBL
Hair type: coarse loose 4b/relaxed
How you will achieve goal: relax more often every 13 weeks, rinsing hair and condition ends only 2x a week, air drying, bunning, flexirod sets and trimming to even up my hair... May have to bite the bullet and go to a salon if my Crea clip fails. Oh yeah start a solid vitamin regimen.

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 260... Lord Help Me! Lol
Current Dress Size: 22
Goal Size: dress size 5/ 7 in some pants I got a dunk lol

Fitness Goal: I want to work up to Insanity/ I want to build lean muscle/ I want to run a 10k/ I want to learn to swim/ I want to practice beginning yoga for flexibility

How you will achieve goal: First, I want to give myself an entire year; 10 pounds a month. I will also set mini goals every three months to refresh my diet and exercise regimen.
1. Clean eating
-I brought a nutribullet and will follow the six week plan initially
-I will eat what I want only on the holiday (one holiday per month absolutely no fast food/processed foods)
2. Gym membership to planet fitness with personal trainer: I stated out walking and riding a bike already!
3. Home workouts: pinterest will be my best friend for this www.pinterest.com/jennfbaby85 if you want to follow me.
-I brought 5lb weights for beginning lifting and I still have Hip hop abs and Turbo jam from when I used to workout.
-I would like to start my first round of Insanity by June 30
4. Track everything! Water, workouts, calories, supplements everything myfitnesspal: jennbabydoll add me :)
5. No matter what do some type of exercise everyday
6. Motivation from my sister, my vision board on pinterest and of course you guys!
7. I'm not opposed to prescription diet pills for only 3 months to help build healthy habits and raise metabolism, but I really want to do it on my own first... giving myself 3 months.

I really feel positive about this and actually I need some control in my life ever since my father past away suddenly last year. I just feel like his death was out of my hands and there was nothing I could do about it. I also had an emergency surgery this year which left me feeling out of control with my body as well. As a result, I let many things slip. So, here is my chance to make it right.

faithVA

I gained so much weight while on vacation :nono: and my hair definitely needs attention. I am starting my new eating plan today. All the junk food has to go and back to portion sizes. :yep: I'm too sick today to do my hair though. That will have to wait.

Ms_CoCo37

Hair Goals
Current Length: BSB/BSL
2014 Goal Length: Full MBL and dare I say grazing WL?
Hair type: 3C
How you will achieve goal: Low manipulation/protective styles, mud wash, co-w ash, homemade DCs and oils, water, water, water!

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 199
Goal Weight: 155
Current Dress Size: 14/16
Goal Size: 8-10
Fitness Goal: lose the back/thigh/tummy fat and gain a nice waistline.
How you will achieve goal: healthy diet of green smoothies (I love my NutraBullet!), kefir smoothies, fish, chicken, fruits, veggies, nuts, and water. I hate conventional exercise, but I will look for something that works for me and my lazy self.

D.Lisha

Hair Goals
2014 Goal Length: Full BSL or Grazing MBL
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: Relaxed
Hair type: 4B
How you will achieve goal: 12-16 week stretches, Bunning, Braids, Regular 'poo washes, Co-Washes, Regular DC's, Nightly M&Sing sessions, Supplemental Intake, and Increased Water Intake
Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 160
Goal Weight: 140-145
Current Dress Size: 9/10
Goal Size: 6
Fitness Goal: Loose my tummy, Tone up, and maintain an overall lifestyle that's dedicated to healthy living.
How you will achieve goal: I plan to engage in a mixture of Cardio and Strength exercises 4-5x's a week via "Nike Kinect Fitness". I also plan on incorporating all natural veggie and fruit smoothies into my diet, while upping my water intake from 2.2-Liters/day to 1-Gallon/day.

Kerryann

Hair Goals
Hair type: 4B
How you will achieve goal: Protective styling (braids, wigs etc), dc, oil, inversion method, vitamins

Weight/Fitness Goals[/U]
Current Weight: 203
Goal Weight: 156
Current Dress Size: IDK but a large sounds about right
Goal Size: 4-6
Fitness Goal: Get lean and tone whole body
How you will achieve goal: Exercise 5 days a week (ate Bo, T25, Insanity, Kettlebells etc), up my protein, juicing, I also want to try herbalife

my1goodnerve

I was so excited that I clicked on the wrong year and entered the 2013 challenge. Which probably means I should have done this last year. But anyway, here are my stats...

Current Length: between SL and APL
2014Goal Length: Full APL (but I ain't saying no to BSL if it happens)
Hair type: 4a/4b
How you will achieve goal: Hiding my hair with weaves/better overall hair practices/ and no more setbacks due to laziness. I have a very simple reggie that works when I stick with it.

Weight/Fitness Goals

Current Weight: 185 (GASP! I'm way too short for this weight.)
Goal Weight: 120-130
Current Dress Size: 14/16
Goal Size: 6
Fitness Goal:to keep up with my daughter when she's working out
How you will achieve goal:cooking healthy meals and taking leftovers to work. No more running out for junk and a quick fix. I'm currently an emotional eater, and I'd rather be an emotional walker. I will start by lifting weights in the morning before work and walking 1 1/2 miles to the bus stop after work instead of taking the subway home. As the weather changes I'll walk farther.

ajargon02

Some of you ladies were asking about this challenge so here it is! This is for ladies who are both growing their hair long and want to lose weight. Contrary to popular belief, healthy hair and healthy body are not mutually exclusive!

Like this post if you want to enter the challenge and I'll update the thread.

Holding my spot till I am home :)

ckisland

I took official end of the year/starting hair pics tonight, and my back shots OMG!!! I actually had to do a double take. I was already fat, but this holiday eating pushed me over the edge :nono: . I'm excited to start tomorrow and I'm excited to be done with this weight :yep:. I'll post my official start weight tomorrow.

Hair related
I cut off the last of my raggedy ends yesterday! I'm full CBL now and I kinda like it :lick:.

Here's a hair shot/ back roll shot combo :lachen:

20131228_210808-1.jpg

Last edited:

ajacks

Hair Goals
Current Length: Grazing APL
2014 Goal Length: Full BSL
Hair type: 4A
How you will achieve goal: co-washing, NJoy Growth oil, sew-ins, wigs

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 188
Goal Weight: 135
Current Dress Size: 10/12
Goal Size: 6/8
Fitness Goal: Flatten tummy; smaller waist; slim down thighs; go down 1-2 cup sizes
How you will achieve goal: My Fitness Pal; Drink more water; Portion Control; High Protein; NO FAD DIETS; Work-out at least every other day for 45 minutes - 1 hour

lacreolegurl

Hair Goals:
Current Length: MBL/grazing WL
2014 Goal Length: Full WL/grazing WHIP length
Hair type: 3c/4a
How you will achieve goal: continue to wash-n-go regularly and incorporate more protective styling - more braidouts on stretched hair

Weight/Fitness Goals:
Current Weight: 173
Goal Weight: 143-150
Fitness Goal: tone, redefine my waist, get rid of my pooch and back fat.
How you will achieve goal: Exercise 30 min, a min. of 5 days a week, eat clean

Barbie83

I'm in!!

Hair Goals:
Current Length: APL/grazing BSL
2014 Goal Length: Full MBL
Hair type: 4A
How you will achieve goal: weaving it up, regular washing/DCing. hard protein every 3 months (between installs)

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 261
Goal Weight: 180
Current Jean Size: 18
Goal Jean Size: 14 (these hips aint goin nowhere :lol:)
Fitness Goal: shape and slim legs, flatten stomach and trim waist
How you will achieve goal: Intermittent fasting, limiting wheat and sugar, green smoothies, gallon of water daily, cardio/weights several times a week

jennwantslonghurr

Ok girls, I decided to begin today since it is Monday. I will enjoy new years dinner but still track my eating and not go crazy.

So I started my hip hop abs workout and stretched this morning. This first week I dedicated to drinking 8 cups of water single everyday. I'm so bad at drinking water so it's my little mini challenge.

SkySurfer

It's 2014....AND WE'RE OFF LADIES!
I will try and weigh is every wednesday.
My first weight is 152lbs .

Hair is in crochet braids to allow for workouts and retention!

Last edited:

myfaithrising

Ok, here we go, my official first weigh in: 171lbs, with I was 169 a week ago. Ok, I'm not gonna obsess, I have to start tracking, obviously I have no idea how much I'm really eating. Oan, my hair is in mini twists and doing very well. I'm still trying to nail a regimen and get a few staples that I'll stick with, the search continues. .

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
I was going to weigh tonight, but will wait till tomorrow. Will def hit the treadmill!

Haven't done anything to my hair, scarf been on all day. Will wash tomorrow, and practice some roll tuck pun styles.

Happy New Year Ladies!

ckisland

Official start weight: 194.4 :sad:

I've officially reached the highest weight of my life. I will never ever see this side again :nono:.

Going grocery shopping, though I have a bunch of wholesome stuff sitting in my cabinets. I just need to up my smoothie supplies and get some meats, and I'm good.

My hair's doing really well. I had an issue for scalp flaking, but that's cleared up :yep:. Haven't washed in 7 days, and my hair still looks good and is moisturized. I also picked up the new GF leave-in :look: and I'm thinking about getting the rest of the line, but I won't. . . I think.

Last edited:

jennwantslonghurr

ckisland

Hey, I'm glad your scalp cleared up :) do you think its a reaction from your relaxer? Just wondering. I had dandruff issues too that cleared up since I started my journey but I still get itchy scalp every now and again.

Try not to feel sad about your weight. Sometimes, personal issues have to hit us hard in order for us to make a real change. I'm also at an all time high for my weight and it sucks. But your current weight is my 6 month goal if that makes you feel better lol.