Hair Growth and Weight Loss Challenge 2015

davisbr88

Taken from the 2014 thread:
Some of you ladies were asking about this challenge so here it is! This is for ladies who are both growing their hair long and want to lose weight. Contrary to popular belief, healthy hair and healthy body are not mutually exclusive!

We're getting a bit of a late start to the year but it's never too late to get.your.life.
Challenge runs from February 1 - December 31, 2015

I am committing to posting AT LEAST every Thursday after my weigh-ins on Wednesday evenings to keep the thread alive, but we need to hold each other accountable! Please post any challenges and successes, particularly any non-scale victories (NSVs!)

If you want in, just like this post and submit your stats (photos are optional -- I'm not showing y'all my back fat :perplexed)! I will update the challenger list on February 1 and every Thursday for the rest of the month. After that, you're free to join, but will not be listed officially.

Hair Goals
Current Length:
2015 Goal Length:
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed:
Hair type:
How you will achieve goal:

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight:
Goal Weight:
Current Dress Size:
Goal Size:

Challengers:
Ajna
AlexandriaKiera
cherryhair123
cynd
D.Lisha
davisbr88
Eboni801
Fab79
faithVA
FollicleFanatic
GettingKinky
HairPleezeGrow
hareluvah
Honeytips
JJamiah
k_enitan
KaramelDiva1978
KinksAndInk
levette
Lovely_Lady82
missyrayne19
MyAngelEyez~C~U
naptime
NaturallyATLPCH
Nightingale
okange76
ONAMSHN
polished07
Prettymetty
ronie
Royalq
TamaraShaniece
trclemons
TwistedRoots
xu93texas

Resident Sage aka Big Sister All-Knowing:
shortdub78

Last edited:

davisbr88

Hair Goals
Current Length: MBL
2015 Goal Length: W'Hip Length
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: Natural
Hair type: 3C/4A
How you will achieve goal: Water only method!

Mini Goal: WL by August 18, 2015 - My nappiversary

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 176.6 (official weigh-in)
Goal Weight: 125 (will reassess once there)
Current Dress Size: 10
Goal Size: 2/4
How you will achieve goal: Anti-Candida Diet + dietbet games!

Mini Goals (lose 4% every 4 weeks):
169.5 by March 16 - surpassed on 3/6 at 167.6, and weighed 163.4 on 3/16!
156.9 by April 8 - surpassed on 3/31 at 155.6!

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Hair Goals
Current Length: APL
2015 Goal Length: MBL
Hair type: 4bc
How you will achieve goal: Low manipulation, monthly Dominican blowouts, maybe celies under a wig for a few weeks...

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 164
Goal Weight: 130ish
Current Dress Size: 8
Goal Size: 4
How you will achieve goal: Counting calories, 3 workouts per week, 3 bottles of water daily, 3 veggies a day, daily affirmations, reduce my stress

Last edited:

davisbr88

Just found this free 6-week bootcamp!
Totally starting this next week.
I truly hate working out (read: cardio) but this actually looks perfect for me since it's a lot of resistance training :yep:

@iikandii88 on instagram is my current inspo for this journey... her hair AND body = banging!!!!

JJamiah

Hair Goals
2015 Goal Length: Whip Length
How you will achieve goal: Hiding my hair under wigs and in twists/crochets/braids, etc!

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 130
Goal Weight: 118

It may not seem like a lot but I put on 10 lbs in one month... and I was 114 before being diagnosed with this thyroid disease. So this is a challenge.

Yes, Ms. Davis..I stole yours. We have a lot of similar attributes :)

faithVA

I'm in,

Hair Goals
Current Length: NL
2015 Goal Length: SL
Hair type: 4b, low porosity
Doing MHM and washing every 3 days when possible.
Keeping hair in flat twist with ends tucked away
Oiling scalp with my scalp blend every 2 to 3 days
Doing search and destroys to prevent unnecessary knots.

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 150
Goal Weight: 143
Goal Size: 8
Eat according to FMD Maintenance Phase
Increase my physical activity: walking, cycling
Do at least 3 days of 45 minutes of cardio

davisbr88

Prettymetty: YES to reducing stress and affirmations! I really need to be better about positive affirmations!
JJamiah: girl, steal away! Anything that will get us healthy!!!!
faithVA: that 7 pounds you're trying to lose is making the 55 I need to drop feel bad! :lachen:

faithVA

[USER said:
davisbr88;21064085[/USER]]Prettymetty: YES to reducing stress and affirmations! I really need to be better about positive affirmations!
JJamiah: girl, steal away! Anything that will get us healthy!!!!
faithVA: that 7 pounds you're trying to lose is making the 55 I need to drop feel bad! :lachen:

Don't feel bad at all. You might lose that 55 before I can get off this 7.

We are in this together. I have to do the same eating right and working out as we all do.

So lets drop the pounds, grow the hair and celebrate every inch lost (body) and inch gained (hair). :yep:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Hair Goals
Current Length: SL
2015 Goal Length: Full APL
Hair type: 3c
How you will achieve goal: what I've been doing and protective styling to help me retain.

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 233
Goal Weight: 140
Current Dress Size: 1x
Goal Size: 10
How you will achieve goal: change my eating habits and exercising the way I should. More water intake and stay away from sweets. I don't have full complete body shots so this is as close as I'm revealing lol.

View attachment 295343

View attachment 295345

ForumRunner_20150130_132527.jpg

ForumRunner_20150130_132546.jpg

naptime

Hair Goals
Current Length: almost bsb
2015 Goal Length: waist
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: relaxed
Hair type: iono
How you will achieve goal: protein treatments, henna, deep condition, nightly moisturize and seal, tea rinsed, wash when necessary, about twice a week.

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 169
Goal Weight: 149 (for now, will reasses)
Current Dress Size: 10
Goal Size: 8 or whatever size I am when I look ok in a swimsuit
How you will achieve goal: diet p90x, yoga, maybe running (been having pinched nerve issues), saying no when hubby tries to feed me.

I am very frustrated, I've been dieting and working out for months with not much to show for it. I'm almost 50, and this middle aged spread is no joke! My hair is also low density, fine and slow growing...sigh.

Hey...how do you attach pics from a phone?

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
naptime go to advanced options and then click the link that says "manage attachments". Then you can go through your gallery and upload pics. Hth

naptime

Thanks! I had to use the app, which I don't usually do. I couldn't add them to my original post tho.

ForumRunner_20150130_172603.jpg

ForumRunner_20150130_172623.jpg

ForumRunner_20150130_172638.jpg

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I got dh to take starting pics for me, but I look like a whale in all of them so...

Just take my word for it :lol:

Last edited:

D.Lisha

I'm definitely In!

Hair Goals Current Length: *Full BSL*
2015 Goal Length: *Waistlength*
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: *Relaxed*
Hair type: 4b
How you will achieve goal: *Shampooing 1x/Week, DC 2x's/week, Co -wash 1x/Week, M&S nightly, relax @ 14-16 weeks post*

Weight/Fitness Goals Current Weight:
Goal Weight: 185lbs
Current Dress Size: Goal Size: 12
How you will achieve goal: clean eating regular, drinking 64oz of water daily, workingout 5 days a week (Shauna T's25)

ronie

Hair Goals: Gain more thickness, grow my hair to almost MBL so i can get a nice cut at just below APL
2015 Goal Length: BSL, grazing MBL
Hair type: 4c, fine to medium, low density
How you will achieve goal: Moisturize and seal as needed, wash and DC weekly, Protein treatment every 2 weeks, trim every 3 months with monthly sessions of search and destroy, low manipulation styles (buns), stick to staple products, phytophanere vitamins and sundown vitamins garlic supplements

Weight/Fitness Goals: GEt my waste back, wear a 2 piece bikini by end of summer, be light enough so hubby can carry me to bed without him getting out of breath:lachen::lachen:.
Current Weight: 153
Goal Weight: 127 on empty stomach, 130 after a light meal.
Current Dress Size: 6

Homemade green/protein smoothie daily

80 oz of water at least daily

Cut out juice and sugar

No more eating giant meals at work ( i work overnight 7pm-7am). I now eat my main meal during the day and i only snack on baby carrots, yogurt, and brown rice snaps. No more than 300 calories. I used to eat at work, then come home make breakfast eat, go to sleep, and wake up eat again, go to work and repeat. I was eating 24 hours a day basically. Thank God i only work 3 days a week.

Zigzaging my calorie intake to keep my body guessing, so that i don't plateau. I need 1200 calories a day, so one day i will do 1000, the next i will do 1400 or 900/1500.

Body works class at LA Fitness at least 4 times a week. Daily 15 minutes arm work out at home with 10 lbs dumbells. My fat arms are killing me.

I really want to focus more on my eating and strengthening workouts this time. I may introduce some cardio later, but so far i have lost 10 lbs since December 19th without, so i will stick to the plan.

Some of my dresses are already zipping up. Although i am not able to wear them yet, but i can get them on and zip them all the way up.

Later i would like to take actual measurements, and monitor my BMI. It was at 34 when i weighed 164lbs at the GYM back in December. I would be hapy with 25 BMI.

ronie

Today's smoothie
1 banana
1 handfull of blueberries
1/3 of a pineapple ( a lot i know but i love pineapple)
1 handful of kale
2 spoons of organic whole flaxseed
1 cup nonfat greek yogurt
Ground cinnamon
1 cup of bolthouse carrot juice... thanks for mentioning this brand shortdub78. It tastes better than previous carrot juice i have had. I still wont drink it alone though, lol.

It made a lot. I had a 16 oz cup when i woke up earlier, and it kept me up for hours.
The rest is in the fridge, i hope it didn't go bad.

ronie

I got dh to take starting pics for me, but I look like a whale in all of them so...

Just take my word for it :lol:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:
Yeah what she says. I have not taken full body pictures in at least a year, except for those family events where i had no choice but to stand there. I don't even know if i can really blame the pregnancy. My daughter is 4 years old, and months after her i weighed 137. Before pregnancy i use to bounce between 125 and 130. I turn 32 in April, so i need to make the change now.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
ronie I will be 32 in June. The 30s haven't been nice to me :nono: After my second son I got down to 130, but I was still in my 20s then... le sigh.

Let's get fit together :)

davisbr88

ronie: that smoothie sounds yummy! I had one with blueberries and peaches and it was SOOO good. I've never been a huge fruit person, but I love smoothies. They're so filling!

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Hair Goals
Current Length: near BSL, but around 8 inches of natural hair
2015 Goal Length: 14 inches of natural hair by Feb 2016
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: transitioning
How you will achieve goal: Continue following my regimen & protective styling

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 173
Goal Weight: 130
Current Dress Size: 12
How you will achieve goal: Calorie Counting, sensible portion sizes, regular exercising

Last edited:

okange76

I'm so ready for this. Tomorrow is my birthday and I plan on spending this year preparing for next year when I turn 40. I refuse to enter my 40s looking frumpy. My mother is in her mid 60s and she in the gym 4 times a week riding the stationary bike and doing Aqua Aerobics. She just signed up for Zumba for Seniors. I have no excuse.

Hair Goals
Current Length: Collarbone
2015 Goal Length: Full Apl
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: relaxed
Hair type: No idea
How you will achieve goal: Professional cornrows every 6-8 weeks, washing weekly, M&S daily and oiling scalp with Njoy's Oil. Taking collagen and fish oil supplements.

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 220
Goal Weight: 175
Current Dress Size:16
Goal Size: 12
How you will achieve goal: Exercise at least 4 times a week, combination cardio (rowing and elliptical) and strength training, Kettle Bell workouts from YouTube, swimming in the spring, cut down on carbs and sugar, stay hydrated and salsa dancing on the weekends. I have done it before and I can do it again. Short term goal is 25 lbs in the next 5 months.

GettingKinky

I'm in. I made great progress in 2014 and I don't want to slack off and slowly regain the 17 lbs I lost. I've already regained 3 :sad:

Hair Goals
Current Length: ~MBL
2015 Goal Length: MBL
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: transitioning from texlax to natural 8 months so far planning to go for 36 months.
Hair type: ???
How you will achieve goal: Continue to moisturize using LOC method at least twice a week. Co wash once a week, wash once a week. Try to achieve/maintain MBL during my transition

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 138
Goal Size: 6?
How you will achieve goal: majority of food I eat will be home cooked. Watch portion sizes. Continue to workout 5-6 times a week.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Hair Goals
Current Length: MBLish (trimmed again)
2015 Goal Length: Waist length or longer
Hair type: 3C
How you will achieve goal: Wigs, twists, braids and buns. More frequent protein treatments (my hair loves protein), no more trims unless absolutely necessary. More prepoos and no finger detangling (I loose too much hair) and hair supplements.

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 190
Goal Weight: 145
Current Dress Size: 14
Goal Size: 8
How you will achieve goal: Watching what I eat, exercising 4-5 days a week, drinking more water, not snacking on junk food while studying,watching tv, etc. Using the treadmill that's in the other room :look: when I don't feel like going to the gym. Taking progress pictures. Using myfitnesspal to track my meals/exercise etc

ronie

Had some left over turkey for breakfast.
16 oz water with breakfast and another 16 oz with my vitamins.
I missed the body works class today, so I ll just complete a 30 mms arms and an workout.
I hope to be 150 by valentine s day.

ronie

I love how you guys are making mini goals. I think I will do that too!
Yes small goals make it more enjoyable for me. And I don't think about the whole 30 lbs I wanted to lose overall.
150 by Valentine's Day
140 by my birthday in April
130 by end of July.

Ajna

I am in

Hair Goals
Current Length: various but BSL in the back and at the neck from the cown
2015 Goal Length: APL/BAL
Hair type: 3c/4a
How you will achieve goal: mini-twists, braids and buns; taking Phytophanere and alternating with Keratin Booster

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 151
How you will achieve goal: Exercise six days a week and limiting the sugar, salt and fat

I have been ignoring my hair and working out for far to long this year I will correct this.