Hair Growth and Weight Loss Challenge 2015

FollicleFanatic

Yesterday SO and I did a little ring shopping :biggrin: and a couple of ladies came up to us in the store. They told us they watched us shop while they were eating and how cute we were and they just had to come over and tell us :congrats: and it made me all like :blush:

We walked around so much I hit my Fitbit goal, I think this should be my baby step goal for now. Every time I plan on working out and announce it I end up getting hurt without fail. So this shall do for now until my rebellious body acclimates to extra exercise.

My hair is doing very well, just did a pull LC and the longest areas are a 1/2" past BSL! So my updated regimen is definitely working, thank goodness it's pretty easy lol.

OK the reason I shared the lil story above was bc when I do get my ring I want to be stacked with long swangin hair(shallow I know).
Can't be looking like who shot Jon with a beautiful ring on my finger lol.

davisbr88

Congrats, @FollicleFanatic! Looks like you have some pretty big things in your future :D I don't think it's shallow at all! I am planning a move to Hawaii this summer and I want mine to be long and swangin' too to go with the bikini I plan to wear whenever I am not at work... LOL. Gotta get the hair and body right!
I weighed in today at 155 so I'm super happy about that. Just 15 pounds to go!
My sponge rollerset is on its last leg, but it made it through 6 days! Tonight I will do a braidout and wear that out or in a bun until next wash day on Monday! I'm so excited that it seems this regimen might be working out.

davisbr88

How's everyone doing?
Weight loss is coming along pretty nicely. I think I will definitely reach my goal of 140 by the end of the year at this rate.
I haven't worked out yet today, so I'm looking forward to doing so when I get home. My body is definitely changing and toning up pretty nicely, though my lower abs and upper body trouble spots (arms and back fat!) are still giving me grief. I really hope they get with the program soon!
Today is wash day, and it's definitely time. Hair is looking parched. I love that this is so much easier than what I had been doing. I'm looking forward to continuing with this regimen (hopefully over the long term!).

Aggie

I'm doing well with m hair but my weight loss efforts are lagging a lot. I have not disciplined myself yet in this area but I know I will need to detox with the 10 day smoothie cleanse again to get it moving. I'll start after that time of the month ends for me in a few days.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My hair has become so much easier to manage. I can detangle, moisturize and rebraid my hair in about an hour. My celies stretch my hair enough that I can either flatiron afterwards or wear a wig/half wig. I've decided to just keep wigging it until Christmas.

I got up and went to the gym today. I rode the stationary bike for 20 minutes. My thighs are sore, but I am going back tomorrow to walk on the treadmill. I ate very light today. I'm proud of myself. If only every day could be like this...

davisbr88

Unexpected misting today ruined my rollerset, so I just put my hair in 5 chunky braids (or celies, as @Prettymetty calls them) that I am likely just going to wear under a beanie until I need to wear my hair out for a special event this weekend. I may start doing this more as it's getting colder and I'm wearing beanies and hats more often. So I will keep up the washing and heat stretching every 10 days because the heat is definitely keeping ssks, knots, and tangles away. But from now until maybe March, I may just put my stretched hair in celies and just wear a braidout whenever I feel like it/need to dress up/can't wear a hat. I will just moisturize the braids with my diluted conditioner spray every night like I've been doing when I've been rolling up my hair and then just tie them down with a scarf. I've enjoyed wearing my hair out in the rollerset but I think my "out" hair days are numbered with the dropping temps. At least the braids will be a lot less manipulation than rolling my hair every night, and they still provide me with the option to wear it down whenever I want or need to.
Does anyone in here use grease? I am thinking about possibly setting the braids with grease, especially the ends.

ETA: I have a HUGE jar of Oyin Burnt Sugar so I will use that as my "grease" until it runs out and then start experimenting with actual grease. After years and years of money on this hair, I am now getting all of my products at the dollar store, and I intend to keep it that way. So I will be looking for a $1 grease when the Oyin is gone!

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I rejoined fatsecret (an online weight loss community) and weighed in today at 160. It's tom so I'm holding extra water :( I was invited to a lose 7lbs by Christmas challenge so we'll see how that goes. I actually think I can lose 10 or more by Christmas.

trclemons

I am definitely in!

Hair Goals
Current Length: APL
2015 Goal Length: BSL/MBL
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: Natural
Hair type: 3c/4a
How you will achieve goal: Hiding my hair in braids & twists.

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 177
Goal Weight: 150
Current Dress Size: 12
Goal Size: 8
How you will achieve goal: Improving my eating habits; drinking more water; reporting my weight weekly; participating in some of the monthly squat, abs, etc. challenges; & participating in Black Girls Run activities (including my first 5K run).

MINI GOALS
March = 170 lbs.
June = 163
September = 156 lbs.
December = 150 lbs.

This is my final check in for the year. I am 2.5 inches away from BSL and 4.5 inches away from MBL and I can't even talk about the weight loss part of this challenge. I look forward to accomplishing these goals in 2016.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I rejoined fatsecret (an online weight loss community) and weighed in today at 160. It's tom so I'm holding extra water :( I was invited to a lose 7lbs by Christmas challenge so we'll see how that goes. I actually think I can lose 10 or more by Christmas.
I failed this challenge. But I am ending the year 6lbs lighter than I started. Baby steps

dannie85

Finally made it to PT for my leg. This damn sciatica is killing me and hoping to find some relief. Hopefully I can start working out the way I want to soon.

Did your sciatica ever go away? I got sciatica after having my baby. He's 15 months now and I'm only just starting to feel a little better but have good and bad days still. I'm sure picking him up and having to bend over all the time has slowed progress. Wondering if it will go away completely and what I can do to help it. PT did not help. Chiropractor has temporary relief.

Aggie

How about a 6-month challenge - July-Dec 2016? I'm going in braids Wed and will repeat them every 6 weeks till Dec. (Im also in the WL 2017 so this will be a good boost.)
I'm definitely down! I would like to lose 15lbs before the end of this year.
Ooooh, yes, yes, and yes, let's do it. i need to lose about 20lbs to get to a weight I'll be very happy with.

apple_natural

i'm thinking of texlaxing my hair with mizani butter blends and avocado oil.

i always get to this point and want to put some sort of process on it.. end up regretting it or breaking it.. and starting over. does that stop me? no. now i want to texlax...huuuhghhh...

in efforts to think rationally... my problem is that i'm tired of not having styled hair.

For one thing, I am totally! over!! my old braids (trying for wait for the end of the month when I have one day off and I can put in a new set) ..... second. i'm tired of having nappy roots... well, i'm just tired of having nappy roots with my braids.

I know that I"m not any where near where I want my hair to be so i'm going to have to have another round of braids... maybe. I want to style my hair. I want to have real grown up hair styles for once in my adult life... well not just once but whatever. I'm tired of my old braids. I'm having a mental break down. I dont know. I'll come back later for my continued thoughts.

Aggie

i'm thinking of texlaxing my hair with mizani butter blends and avocado oil.

i always get to this point and want to put some sort of process on it.. end up regretting it or breaking it.. and starting over. does that stop me? no. now i want to texlax...huuuhghhh...

in efforts to think rationally... my problem is that i'm tired of not having styled hair.

For one thing, I am totally! over!! my old braids (trying for wait for the end of the month when I have one day off and I can put in a new set) ..... second. i'm tired of having nappy roots... well, i'm just tired of having nappy roots with my braids.

I know that I"m not any where near where I want my hair to be so i'm going to have to have another round of braids... maybe. I want to style my hair. I want to have real grown up hair styles for once in my adult life... well not just once but whatever. I'm tired of my old braids. I'm having a mental break down. I dont know. I'll come back later for my continued thoughts.

@apple_natural,

There is a new thread for this challenge here:

https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/2016-hair-growth-weight-loss-july-dec.793297/#post-22800045