Hair hate all up in the salon!!

SerenityBreeze said:
RedRiot,

Your bang incident makes me so angry!! I mean, really, what in the world makes theses stylists feel that they can just do as "they" please without consulting clients. AAARRGGHH!!

OT. SB, I looked at your album the other day. I didn't know you were so pretty!

Some stylists don't know the meaning of customer service. Some of them need something done to their hair they don't want done so they can know how it feels.

Shatacia

Wow, this is crazy, Even though I'm from New York, I was raised in the Virgin Islands, and I moved to NY when I was like 15. I moved with mid - back length hair. Ppl used to wonder if my hair was real or not, which to me is stupid because ppl think that just because your black your hair will never grow to be a certain length. I went to stylists who were super rough with my hair, and I would hair to be damn but can you be a little easier with the comb please cause I'm tenderheaded, I might as well have been talking to the wall. I have been to scissor happy stylists and to stylists who didnt give a s*&t about ur, but how to make it drop off. My hair started to break because of the lack of care that I was receiving from it seemed like every stylist I went to. And whats sad is that I never really knew it at the time. Because i was ignorant about hair care. I let my aunt relax my fine textured hair and she used Super Hawaiian silky and my hair was a thing of the past, I had to cut it neck length. Fast forward to the present I'm 23 now, and I have hair that is almost to my bra-strap and it is healthier and looks way better than it ever did. I've learned so much about my hair and how to take care of it from this board, and I'm grateful for all the help. even though I still go to a salon its a salon that I trust, and for haters they can kiss my you know what. It feels so good to say that. Instead of ppl hating why can't they just say I like your hair what is your hair regimen ??

ChasingBliss

CandiceC said:

Some stylists don't know the meaning of customer service. Some of them need something done to their hair they don't want done so they can know how it feels.
Lawd the girl is Gawwwgeous! Sorry to add to calling you out. It's all Candice's fault, lol...

Aquamarie

This is horrible. I can't believe how jealous women can be. It reminds of a hair dresser I saw for 3+ years. It seemed like every time I would get some length she would chop it off. I was young and dumb. Everyone kept telling me she was too scissor happy but I just thought she knew what she was doing. I finally figured that she really didn't know what she was doing because I was seeing her twice a month for more then three years and my hair was as short if not shorter then when I started.

After my first year of doing my hair on my own I grew and maintained 4-5 inches of length.
And now that I'm reading this I realize that it probably was on purpose and she's just another hater ... :censored: . Sorry but it's just infuriating to see this. Why are some women like this? I'm not all that but I've dealt with haters all my life; I think most women have, and it's ridiculous. I was raised to make my mother proud, and now that I'm older to make myself proud, so I don't hate on people b/c I worry about my darn myself.

Last edited:

Aquamarie

CandiceC said:

BTW. SB you are gorgeous. Keep on growing and really give them haters something to hate about :lol: .

lthomas1

Hair Power!
This is why I stop going to salons. I would recommend that you try to find a long hair salon. They cater to long hair. There are some around or make sure you talk to the stylist before they start on your hair. If anything seems shady get out of the chair and leave. Don't let them ruin your hard work! Let them know you mean business! You have every right to be picky about how you want your hair done.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
This is why I only go to salons if I have to. I prefer to mess up my own hair, thank u very much!:lol:

VelvetRain

atlien11 said:
Girl, hair haters are everywhere! There should be a post titled: Hair Hate all up at work!! Those women ( i call them vultures) at work just sit in the lunch area and talk about everybody walkin by. They had a bet going whether my hair was mine are not and them heffas was all pissy about the fact that it was! :mad: Trust no one.

I get the same thing. If one more person asks if my hair is all mine they will be in a pissing match with me. For god's sake worry about what's on your own damn head or the lack of. Why you all up in mine. It stupid and pathetic.

Koffie

CurleeDST said:
The stylist I have gone to shows you how much she is trimming off with her fingers and asks if you agree or want more or less. She then proceeds. Again, she only trimmed my daughter's hair so she lets me see what she is doing explicity and transparently. Also, the salon is a Christian salon and they play nothing but gospel music and sometimes break out with the Word up in there! Glory.

Hallelujah! Thats what I am talking about. :D

I go to the same type of salon down here in Texas.

hopeful

ekomba said:
it reminds me when i just arrived in ny in 98 and went to my friend hairdresser in bk to perm my hair that was already like 10inches plus i had lots of new growth i was excited to see how long my hair was. so she put the perm and rinsed it then i wanted to touch it she said stop touching it and sat me on the chair but turned it so i couldnt face the mirror and said i needed a trim i said no she said yes with force and proceeded to trim :eek: when she turned back the chair to the mirror i saw with horror all my hair on the floor i only had 3 inches of hair remaining and my whole back was shaven i crieddddd she was like oh dont worry it ll grow back that s the meanest thing after that i decided not to be bothered and kept my hair short and shorter for like 4 years i didnt have enough hair to do weaves or braids. i dont trust stylists anymore i only go for safe styles like braids and weaves where they cant hack my hair no trim for me i havent trimmed in a year and for the first time i m back to the length she cut off finally and i cant wait to be midback in dec and waistlength summer 07 i m be dedicated and do it on my own now that i m empowered to grow, nurture and control my own head!

OMG I am horrified. What a B****!!! This makes me want to take a flight, find her and kick her behind from the east coast to the west coast where I live, and back to the east coast again! Ooooh I am so mad just thinking about this.

czyfaith77

CurleeDST said:
You have to ask what is considered a trim b/c many salons charge more for a CUT vs. a TRIM so I ask. For the salons I take my 4-year old daughter to for trims, a trim is 1 inch or LESS. That is $20 bucks so I take her every 9 months for a 1-inch trim.

I declare, reading this and other parts of this truly made me appreciate my stylist. She doesn't do anything but trim my hair but she does it well. I may graduate to let her do some other things (i.e. a roller set occasionally). She has truly earned my trust. I used to measure my hair before and after I went to the shop. She trims exactly 1/4 of an inch...nothing more and nothing less. I go on an as needed basis and she only charges me $5.00 but because I appreciate her so I give her a nice tip. One day, she was on vacation and I almost went to someone else on an impulse (don't ask). I am so glad that I had a second thought and had it quickly. Only God knows what kind of person I would have had access to my hair! I will not be going to anyone else. I came home and did a 'search and seize" trim and called it a day. Turned out I didn't have as many splits as I thought and my over all hair is even all over (as even as it can get for someone who's hair grows in layers. Just a reminder ladies...think before you sit in the chair. It is crucial.

Blu217

Ya know, my stylists have always had great heads of hair--my current one has a head full of thick, long hair all her own. She's got no hair envy, knows that "trim" means TRIM and really understands when I say I'm growing mine out.

It's like the saying "Don't trust a skinny cook..." Get a stylist with some long hair she had to grow and care for and watch that empathy flow!

ChocoKitty

CurleeDST said:
Has anyone experienced this with a male stylist? I went to male stylists (straight and perhaps other than straight) and they had nice strong hands for wonderful scalp massages and styled very well (when I was relaxing).

Thoughts on that? Do they hate as well? I would not think so but ya never know.

Yes. I WANTED a haircut but the stylist said it couldn't be done on my hair after the fact. When I got home and combed the curls out my hair it jacked. It was cut unevenly and raggedly to the point where I couldn't wear my hair straight or just simply bumped under. This man was straight so he wasn't jealous. It was New Year's Eve and he had plans. His plans were busted 'cause he had too many clients at the last minute. So he took his frustrations out on my hair.

FineChyna

wow this thread made me VERY VERY sad. i know people could be nasty but not THIS bad. my goodness

i know when i used to get my hair braided the stylist asked me why i wanted braids cause i had long hair. (to me my hair is not long at all) anyway i look around and all the people sitting in the chair don't have much hair from all the frying and overprocessing. for some reason by the end of the style the woman was RIPPING out my hair. i never went back nor did i tip her

i also remember my cousin who had bra strap hair and she went to get a perm and came back with shoulder length hair. the stylist told her all her ends were split and she needed to cut them, before my cousin could fully answer the women started chopping away. if that wasn't hatred i don't know what is. she ended up keeping her hair short after that incident

i rarly go to the salon because no one knows what they are doing with natural hair for the most part. even the dominican salon leaves a lot to be desired. the only good thing i can say about them is that they understand what a trim is and don't seem to have problems with long hair. i see alot of long hair women of all races coming out of there. they just lacked knowledge in what to do with 3C or 4b type hair.

sareca

hopeful said:
OMG I am horrified. What a B****!!! This makes me want to take a flight, find her and kick her behind from the east coast to the west coast where I live, and back to the east coast again! Ooooh I am so mad just thinking about this.

I'm with you. I had to stop reading these 'cause I was gettin' seriously p/o'd.

jasmin

So sad and pathetic. When I went to a salon I would look for salons with clients with long hair and be happy to see it. I just don't understand people. I love to see black women with long hair.

hairspan

ITA, i have a white beautician and when i come from the shampoo bowl and my hair is very curly and long i get the same looks while all the black stylist came over by us talking.

good2uuuu

See. Now i know for sure that when I decide to go to a salon, I will be going to a white one. I am not going through that mess.

I can think of only one really bad experience in collage. Now this girl was my best friends roomate and a licensed stylist. I had been going to her for various things, weaves, etc. Well we all knew she had emotional issues, but that was never an issue. until one day. I wanted a layered bob with the hair framing my face. The style would have had my hair brow length in the front and shoulder length in the back. I even showed her the picture. Well, wouldn't you know that I left that salon with about a 1/4 inch on the sides and about an inch on top? I was tooooooo heated! And this was done right before I had to have my picture taken for Ebony! (I was Miss UNCF for my school that year). What made it even worse was the fact that I had put on some weight over the yeardue to doing slimfats and loosing 30 lbs over the summer, then going back to eating like normal during the school year) anyway, I was not only shaved, I was chunky as heck, and a short cut really shows off a plump face.

I'm getting angry all over again just thinking about it:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Lucia

ekomba said:
it reminds me when i just arrived in ny in 98 and went to my friend hairdresser in bk to perm my hair that was already like 10inches plus i had lots of new growth i was excited to see how long my hair was. so she put the perm and rinsed it then i wanted to touch it she said stop touching it and sat me on the chair but turned it so i couldnt face the mirror and said i needed a trim i said no she said yes with force and proceeded to trim :eek: when she turned back the chair to the mirror i saw with horror all my hair on the floor i only had 3 inches of hair remaining and my whole back was shaven i crieddddd she was like oh dont worry it ll grow back that s the meanest thing after that i decided not to be bothered and kept my hair short and shorter for like 4 years i didnt have enough hair to do weaves or braids. i dont trust stylists anymore i only go for safe styles like braids and weaves where they cant hack my hair no trim for me i havent trimmed in a year and for the first time i m back to the length she cut off finally and i cant wait to be midback in dec and waistlength summer 07 i m be dedicated and do it on my own now that i m empowered to grow, nurture and control my own head!

That's terrible there's no excuse for that, and they really think they have a right. One day these stylists are going to get a beat down, cause they will mess ewith the wrong person. :look:

Starian

This thread is making me angry, and sad moreso. That's why I don't think I could ever go to another salon...I've been fortunate enough not to have my hair butchered by a stylist (they were all obssessed with long hair, and in their minds, if my hair was long, they could brag about how they have magical fingers or some **** like that), but I don't want to go to a salon and have another experience.

Besides, San Antonio doesn't really have any good black stylists, and I wouldn't trust one of the Mexican ladies for anything. I went to Walmart and I asked her if they did relaxers. She looked so confused, like she didn't know what I was talking about. Then she spoke in Spanish to another stylist and she said "Yes, I do. Not today though, eh?" I smiled to myself and said "No, not today." and under my breath I said "And not tommorow, or the day after, or next year, either..." :lachen:

So my mother will continue to do my relaxers until she gets arthritus, or until she refuses. Then I will probably have to go natural, because ya'll scared me with this thread. :lol: :(

caribeandiva

Human being
man, there's a serious hater epidemic out there. why can't these stupid b*tches just be happy for you? before i educated myself about my hair, i used to stare in awe at black women with long hair. i never felt the need to say rude comments about their hair. i always asked them for advice on how to grow my hair like that. i never saw the point of hating. it's just a waste of energy.

JewelleNY

I just don't get it. When i used to go to the salons and see women with long, beautiful hair I would be in awe and tell them how beautiful it was.

When I was about 12 I went to a stylist to have my hair touched up and ends trimmed. I was new a new client for her and this was in the mall. Well, when I went in my hair was several inches below my shoulders all around. She kept me away from the mirror and kept clipping, before washing, after washing, after drying and aftre the style. When i left that place my hair was about two inches long all over like Eva Pickford but a little shorter:( I feel distressed just writing this and people always think I am exaggerating b/c it sounds absurd. :mad:

ChocoKitty

JewelleNY said:
I just don't get it. When i used to go to the salons and see women with long, beautiful hair I would be in awe and tell them how beautiful it was.

When I was about 12 I went to a stylist to have my hair touched up and ends trimmed. I was new a new client for her and this was in the mall. Well, when I went in my hair was several inches below my shoulders all around. She kept me away from the mirror and kept clipping, before washing, after washing, after drying and aftre the style. When i left that place my hair was about two inches long all over like Eva Pickford but a little shorter:( I feel distressed just writing this and people always think I am exaggerating b/c it sounds absurd. :mad:

I am so sorry this happened to you! This makes my heart ache...:(

Lucia

Starian said:
This thread is making me angry, and sad moreso. That's why I don't think I could ever go to another salon...I've been fortunate enough not to have my hair butchered by a stylist (they were all obssessed with long hair, and in their minds, if my hair was long, they could brag about how they have magical fingers or some **** like that), but I don't want to go to a salon and have another experience.

Besides, San Antonio doesn't really have any good black stylists, and I wouldn't trust one of the Mexican ladies for anything. I went to Walmart and I asked her if they did relaxers. She looked so confused, like she didn't know what I was talking about. Then she spoke in Spanish to another stylist and she said "Yes, I do. Not today though, eh?" I smiled to myself and said "No, not today." and under my breath I said "And not tommorow, or the day after, or next year, either..." :lachen:

So my mother will continue to do my relaxers until she gets arthritus, or until she refuses. Then I will probably have to go natural, because ya'll scared me with this thread. :lol: :(

The worst thing is that as bad and horrific these stories are I KNOW stylists will do this to you men and women alike so don't sleep, learn how to do your own hair yourself.
That would get them clients lining up for appointment to see them, why don't they get it, their hate and jealousy is destroying their ability to make bank-DUH

Last edited:

JewelleNY

ChocoKitty said:
I am so sorry this happened to you! This makes my heart ache...:(
Thanks, writing that brought back so many memories for me:( I remember not wanting to go to school the next day and my mom making me. She even joked that I looked like a Jewish boy:( which may have been funny at another time but not then. It was a new school in a new state and the kids stared terribly. I couldn't bear going to classes so I stayed in the bbathroom all day and then said I was sick and stayed in the nurse' office until it was time to leave. I felt embarrassed that i cared so much about my hair but I was so humiliated. I have a high forehead and I didn't even have enough hair for bangs.:(
Ok, I do feel a little better getting that off my chest and hearing that other people had similar experiences. Maybe one day we could create a LHCF salon chain full of caring staff who want healthy hair for their patrons:)

MissYocairis

I once had a stylist "trim" 4 inches off my "ends". She used to do my hair in high school and always kept it CUT in a healthy little bob. (I wanted it to grow but she cut it regularly)

Anyway, she had never seen me with longer hair because I had been living in another city for years before I came to her again. I went to her for a trim and deep conditioning....this chick.....I went from below shoulder length to my hair not even touching where my neck and shoulders meet. She insisted my ends were "damaged".

Oddly enough, I'd been wearing a lot of braid-outs and my hair was thriving without me realizing that the braid-outs were helping. So, I didn't realize my ends weren't unhealthy. (I was clueless and trusted my stylist implicitly....she'd been doing my hair off and on for over 10 years) Anyway, this last year, as an LHCF member is the first year I've been able to get that length back and surpass that as well. The cut was 5 years ago.

FeelinIt

Lucia said:
This is true and it happens in hispanic and Egytian salons too. Don't thin that if you go to the Dominicans or Egytians for a blow dry or style, they won't cut your hair too short. That happened to me, @ an Egytian place they we agreed on a small 1/8 inch trim, them the stylist a woman, chopped 3 inches off, that put me above BSl when I was @ lower bra strap length, I was pissed, but they were like you're ends are thin and damaged, I'm natural and don't abuse my hair. Since then I've never, ever gone to a salon again and I seriously doubt i ever will, the only ones who listen are the Supercuts, Great clips people but you still have to be very precise and a little agressive as to what you want exactly. I do everything myself now-forget them they just lost many future years of money I would have paid getting my hair styled.

I have to agree re: supercuts. It's the only place I will let cut my hair. I've gotten trims there several times and it always look thicker and longer when they are done. Great job they do.

HighlyFavored1

FeelinIt said:
I have to agree re: supercuts. It's the only place I will let cut my hair. I've gotten trims there several times and it always look thicker and longer when they are done. Great job they do.

I have to agree as well! When I am at school (i go to a predominately white univ) I only let this woman at the campus haircutting place trim my ends. All of my friends think I'm crazy to go there but she has being schooled specifically for cutting hair and I've seen how meticulous she is. Plus, she thinks that my hair is so "delicate" so she is wonderfully careful and does exactly what I ask. It takes her about 15 minutes to slowly tip off my ends..compared to the 30 second chop i used to get in high school.