Hair hate all up in the salon!!

dafnie

I went to a salon once and a lady walked in wearing a head wrap/scarf. She sat across from me in the waiting section and took the head wrap off and all this lovely, lush hair just fell past her shoulders. When she stood it was WL. That was the first time I'd ever seen a black woman with hair that long that was all hers. I was in awe! I started a conversation with her about hair and she said that she was there just to get her hair in an updo for a friend's wedding.

Her stylist was this short mouthy woman I never liked, and the first thing she said to her was, "You gotta get a trim, I could see your split ends from over there!" That was just a lie, and the woman told her that she had just had her ends cut, she just wanted to get her hair put into an updo. The stylist GOT MAD and yelled that she wasn't going to style her hair without a trim because she was not going to have that woman leaving the salon and telling peole that she did her hair and it look raggedy with those splits. (Mind you, this stylist's hair was a mess every time I saw her...all three times I went there! You'd think she would want to be her own advertisement!)

The woman told the stylist that if she couldnt' do her hair, that surely there was someone else in the salon who could just put her hair up in the style she wanted without needing to trim it. The stylist just walked away from her and no one else spoke to her. She sat there for a minute and then just left.

After she walked out, the whole salon erupted in laughter! The clients, the stylists, the receptionist, everyone was laughing and calling her all kinds of names, and how she needed to get out of there anyway with her nappy, raggedy hair. Her hair was gorgeous!!!! I was less than six feet from her and I could not see a single split! Yet, they all were talking about her hair and how bad it looked. I thought it was perfect!

After their reaction, I got super self-conscious so I told the receptionist I had to go feed my meter (I don't drive) and when I walked out, I just didn't go back in or anymore. I can only imagine what they said about me. I felt bad for that woman, but I was glad she didn't stay and have her hair butchered.

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW. Talk about rudeness. Everybody up in there was a hater!?? Sad.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I went to a salon once and a lady walked in wearing a head wrap/scarf. She sat across from me in the waiting section and took the head wrap off and all this lovely, lush hair just fell past her shoulders. When she stood it was WL. That was the first time I'd ever seen a black woman with hair that long that was all hers. I was in awe! I started a conversation with her about hair and she said that she was there just to get her hair in an updo for a friend's wedding.

Her stylist was this short mouthy woman I never liked, and the first thing she said to her was, "You gotta get a trim, I could see your split ends from over there!" That was just a lie, and the woman told her that she had just had her ends cut, she just wanted to get her hair put into an updo. The stylist GOT MAD and yelled that she wasn't going to style her hair without a trim because she was not going to have that woman leaving the salon and telling peole that she did her hair and it look raggedy with those splits. (Mind you, this stylist's hair was a mess every time I saw her...all three times I went there! You'd think she would want to be her own advertisement!)

The woman told the stylist that if she couldnt' do her hair, that surely there was someone else in the salon who could just put her hair up in the style she wanted without needing to trim it. The stylist just walked away from her and no one else spoke to her. She sat there for a minute and then just left.

After she walked out, the whole salon erupted in laughter! The clients, the stylists, the receptionist, everyone was laughing and calling her all kinds of names, and how she needed to get out of there anyway with her nappy, raggedy hair. Her hair was gorgeous!!!! I was less than six feet from her and I could not see a single split! Yet, they all were talking about her hair and how bad it looked. I thought it was perfect!

After their reaction, I got super self-conscious so I told the receptionist I had to go feed my meter (I don't drive) and when I walked out, I just didn't go back in or anymore. I can only imagine what they said about me. I felt bad for that woman, but I was glad she didn't stay and have her hair butchered.
The bold above is the best part of your story. I'm glad that lady left and even more glad that you did!

Tamster

I just sat and read this entire thread. O M G. Prettybyrd your story is so sad, but I'm so glad you left.

It's horrible that we (women, black women, black people, people in general) put eachother through such HARASSMENT! I mean... refusing to perform services... services incorrectly rendered... my god.

This might be because of my political persuasion and I work for lawyers but... we need some regulation and some legal action in this piece! Like wth?! When I get money if someone messes me up (like they did to me when I was much younger) I will sue the mess out of someone. Seriously. If there isn't precedent yet, best believe... we should set precedent! Hair is precious. It is a part of a person's identity and their pride (it's not everything but it can be a big part of your self esteem!)

This thread just makes me so sad like I want to cry for some of these ladies.... but then I just get mad! I'll fight a ****! Don't mess with our hair!!

sungtongs

My hair wasn't all that long about a year ago when a stylist cut off more than half of my side bang. I wanted a nice long side bang that would come to my chin. Everytime I went to her I always had my hair parted on the side with a side bang. Tell me why when my side bang was getting some length, she decided to cut the mess out of it! It went from being cheek length to right above my eyebrow! She asked me before she started my hair if I wanted my bang trimmed, I said NO. I didn't see it coming because she was holding it like she was going to trim some of the bad ends. All of a sudden she quickly snipped and threw the hair over her shoulders! She said it was getting too long. WTH?!?! Just thinking about it makes me angry!!! Why would I wear a side bang that short? I am self concious about my forehead so my side bang is my baby and she cut it, I almost cried when I got home. I NEVER went back to her again!!!

I would have REFUSED TO PAY because she intentionally damaged by hair by doing something i specifically asked her not to do. You have a lot more :censored: than I do! I hope you're okay now. :nono:

mscocoface

Now that I have finished shaking my head, getting mad and wanting to do bodily harm to folks after reading all of these posts.

I have to thank those that are stylist on this board and others who really do give healthy hair service. I know there are not many of you but for those who are I want to THANK YOU!

I wish that there were more of them like you who want to see women grow their hair and share your knowledge with your customers.

You all are worth your weight in gold seriously when it comes to helping women of color reach their goal of healthy hair. :yep:

Please keep teaching and helping your journey is a hard one but it is sooo needed in our communities. :kisses:

prettybyrd

wow pretty byrd, what a horrible and scary situation, I was really happy to read that she left, i thought the story was going in a different direction.

She was pretty insistent! This was long before LHCF, but she knew what the outcome could've been. It's scary and sick what we do to each other under the guise of professionalism!

lovelexi

stories like this just make me so angry. im glad that woman left and didnt cave in to the stylist. ugh...it just truly disgusts me. i never want to spend my money at any of those kinds of salons again.

LadyMacgyver

I asked for a trim and I think I was BSL by the time she got thru with me I was APL.. She would cut my hair in the from where I couldn't see what see what she was doing.. Then she made the comment one time I don't know why these girls hold onto these ragedy ends to have length.. This came from out of no where.. I'm not talking about you just women in general.. You must have been talking about me.. I know my ends were not jacked up.. She had short hair.. Which was always looking good.. But she made the comment that she hated long hair and said that I think me and her mom's hair was the only long hair clients that she had.. Then she kept talking about how thick my hair was and said that I need to thin it out and laughed.. I didn't think it was funny she saw my face and was like girl I am just joking.. I never went back to that fool.. When my fiance saw my hair he was ready to go up there and curse her out.. He said that is not a trim that heifer cut your hair..

Crystalicequeen123

Originally Posted by prettybyrd

LOL! I'm sorry, but this part in bold just cracked me up! :lol: WL hair in an "up-do"?? I can only imagine! :lachen: WOW...that is a LOT of hair! :giggle:

Anyway, those stylists were so WRONG for their behavior. It really is a shame. :nono:

JJamiah

WOW, :nono::nono::nono: Your a great writer and this is a sad case, but as a stylist who use to work in a few salons, I have seen the disgusting behavior myself. HUH, I don't miss it!

prettybyrd

LOL! I'm sorry, but this part in bold just cracked me up! :lol: WL hair in an "up-do"?? I can only imagine! :lachen: WOW...that is a LOT of hair! :giggle:

Anyway, those stylists were so WRONG for their behavior. It really is a shame. :nono:

It is a lot of hair, I'm going to venture a guess that it would've been more like a bun. :) But who knows! No one wanted to do it!

Janet'

Further proves that ignorance and hate still exists within our own community...What a sad commentary...

sillygirl82

I just read this whole thread and shuddered.

I will continue to stay out of the salons. I know that there are great stylists out there, but I can do my own hair for free and not have to worry about the bad stylists that contribute to black women's self-esteem issues.

SmilingElephant

Sad but true....i used to get my hair done at a JCPenney salon and i went in one day and this older black woman who was a stylist had to stand in for my regular stylist one day when i went in......:nono:

My hair went from APL to almost NL...she gave me a "trim"....and she gave me a deep conditioning i didnt ask for and tried to charge me for it:mad:....i just stopped going. I went to a different stylist....but then i found LHCF and when i discovered i can do my hair for waaaaaaaaaay less money than going to the salon....i quit the salon scene. I don't care what NOBODY say....i ain't goin back....esp not with the length my hair is now:nono:

cocosweet

Straight cluckery.:nono:

I cannot think of another industry where you pay someone for a service, they do whatever the bleep they want to a part of your body, try to mindtrick you, take all day doing AND get repeat business.

Intellectually, I know all stylists aren't evil acting, but too many of them are for me to be taking chances with them.

LittleLuxe

These stories were sad and made me mad, not just for the women suffering but for the women that will suffer and the fact you can not pay for a simple service without watching folks like a hawk and being super-curt; i.e. "You cut MORE than THIS and you're NOT GETTING PAID"

But I'll be real and honest.

Some folks are ugly.

They are hateful, bitter, ignorant, pathetic and all the other adjectives you can think of. The only reason it seems so apparent in a salon is because a. Sadly you must encounter these people and put THEM in a position of power and YOU in a position of subservience. As some of these women explained sometimes those scissors are snipping before they say a word. Sometimes they show you 1/4th and chop 2 inches real quick. Hateful birds. and b. Some folks live some sad a** lives. Sorry, sad but true.

Hateration is everywhere, don't be fooled.

Ever seen/heard this conversation? "Wow, I love her purse it's beautiful" "Huh?", looks up, barely spares a glance "Girl, that sh>t is fake. Look at her walking around head held up high like that's the real thing. Homegirl is dreaming" "That is real. I saw the inside of it earlier while I was complimenting her." "Oh..", pause. "Maybe she got a rich daddy, you know rich sugar-daddy, I'd have purses like that too if I was s>cking for a living" "...or maybe she just has a good job, or saves her money, or likes to treat herself" (usually right around the time they ignore me because it's easier/more fun to believe the worst and pride themselves on mis-information and lies)

Folks want something they can't have and hair is just another thing some women can't/won't have, but unlike a purse or nice clothes or makeup the real stuff is very rare and those women know it. No offense to the stylists who have their stuff together but when you stroll into a salon looking more luscious than the woman who's entire business IS hair and she's a bitter/ugly sort then odds are they are preparing to sabotage you and make you look a fool to make themselves feel better.

Worse yet is some women are so addicted to the thrill of power and control that when you come in with demands and KNOW what you want they get to throwing tantrums like 3 year olds demanding candy. You might look better than them but they sure as heck want you agreeing with everything they say like Chicken George on the plantation. It's ridiculous but let's not for one second pretend it's not everywhere.

If you've ever had something good in your life that made others sick with jealousy you know that a salon is just a lion's den of bald-headed witches looking to drag you into the muck.

VirtuousBeauty

Wow this thread has gotten my blood pressure up lol. I'm also a little scared to go to a salon now, but it's a good thing I've decided to do things on my own. I want to be able to do my own hair without paying all that money for it.

jujubelle

It is truly sad about these haters. I have two stories for you.

It was my freshman year in college at the University of Pittsburgh. I wanted to start a regular haircare reggy so I figured let me find a good stylist who I can go to regularly. I found this salon that had an ad in the school "where to" book that they gave us at orientation. So I went and there was no one in the salon but the stylist and this one lady, I believe it was around 2pm on a Friday. Mind you the lady that was in there was getting her ceasar cut dyed bright red. It had me raise an eyebrow but I was like I'm already here.

Now when the stylist was ready for me she looked at my hair and started goin on and on about how damaged it was and I needed a protein treatment. I said ok and she gave me the treatment. After she blowdried my hair she let me know that my ends were raggedy and needed a trim...mind u blowdrying my hair with a brush always leaves my ends looking a little weird, but I said ok as long as she doesn't cut a lot off.

She turned me around (bad sound) broke out the scissors and I could hear them shears go through a considerate amount of hair and I could even feel the hair fall. I jerked and said what are you doing, and she said u need it...your hair isn't going to grow with "dead" ends. Since she started I couldn't leave. So she proceeded to cut my hair in layers. Know at this point I wasn't to upset anymore as it was taking a nice shape that I could deal with even though it was shorter. She then took the grease...yes grease and started to flip my ends. When she was done I was so terrified. I looked like a country hoodrat, she saw my reaction and was shocked that I didn't like it, so she bumped the ends back under and all the while telling me that I don't know whats pretty or anything about haircare, and I'm lucky she gave me the protein treatment for free. When she was done I told her I wasn't paying, and she started getting mad. I noticed that she continued to "trim" my hair while she was bumping the ends back over. She threatened to call the police and I told her I'd dial them for her and walked out. When I got back to the dorm my friends saw me and their jaws just hung open. I had shoulder length hair and came back with neck length. I never trusted a Pittsburgh black stylist my whole time in school, the way they do hair there is very stuck in time or very "hoodish." The only person I got a great hair trim from was this white girl named Lauren at a white salon, and she impressed me so much with her knowledge about hair. She even gave me a mirror so I can see how much she trimmed, and it was basically the bare minimum. When I left my hair was swingin and smooth and shiny. Mind you I was 100% natural.

Second story...

I was in Long Island for the summer and I forget what function we had to go to but my cousin was on the hunt for her stylist who moved to a new salon. Now when we found this salon my cousin went to get her weave done and said she would pay for me to get mine done. This other stylist took me into her chair and I gave her the style I wanted. She said the girl in the pic hair was 3 inches longer than mine so she couldn't do it, then said I needed a trim. I told her the style was possible with my hair length which was close to APL at the time, and that I didn't want a trim. She started fighting with me on how she won't do my hair without a trim and that my hair will break off and look ugly. Her hair on the other hand was jacked up, broken off edges and everything. I don't know why my cousin went to that salon anyways. Yea the lady can give you a great looking weave but didn't do anything for hair care, and my cousin hair was just broken off and in bad shape. I forgot to mention that my aunt was also there with us and just got two tracks glued in, and when she took them out she had breakage. I'm so glad I dodged that bullet.

This is the main reason I have avoided salons because everyone wants to give you a cut when they see your hair past shoulder length. This was a main reason that I would go to a Dominican salon or a white salon. I have seen two girls since I moved back to Philly who had long healthy hair who went to black stylist, and they are the only two I can trust. I go maybe twice a year if needed to my friends stylist for a treatment and/or weave install, other than that I dust myself or have my mom help. And it seems to me that the stylist who do know about hair care and have a more diverse background in styling charge an arm and a leg.

O and don't get me started if they notice your hair is of a "finer" texture..that's another whole level of hate. lol

Bnster

Took me a couple of days to get through the whole thread, it was a good read and yes how sad. We all have our stories on SHS. I also think why there are so many SHS is that they do not know what to do with long hair except cut and remember cutting is their speciality.

Chevelure618

Oh my God in HEAVEN!! This thread making me feel something I should not be feeling right now! RedRiot, girl I am mad at you for starting this thread because you just relit the fire inside of me...

Look at this nasty ish!! This witch nearly caught an orgasm cutting Balisi's hair:eek:.

I've never been to the ghetto salons you guys have been to, to experience this hateration. The two salons I've been to in my whole life, one of them just had middle-aged West-Indian women so they weren't bad at all. The other one, when I went it was always empty(I went on weekdays around 1pm after skool). Although I didn't have to sit through excess trimming and nasty stares I still received damage that's why I'm so mad.

Oh BTW, I no longer go to "salons". I do everything by myself.:woot:

I am afraid to self-relax...not being able to see the back etc. I would like to start because I am so afraid of the stylists now. The one I liked got a smirk on his face when i said 3 inches more....Anyone that can describe exactly how to do it I am all ears. I've watched The Truth is Hair on Youtube and I guess I should rewatch.

Giselle685

When I am getting my hair braided, weaved, or anything. Stylists enjoy being rough, acting like the roughness serves some type of purpose in getting the hair neatly parted. They complain about the amount of moisture in the hair, exclaiming that I should not have that type of moisture in my hair (not wet, just a leave in condition that left a few oils in through the next day). They want it to be blown dry, they want the braids to be so small, or so large. I honestly begin to wonder if they are paying me to touch my hair, or the other way around. They usually end up sucking their teeth midway through doing my hair, because I rather be a considered a b**** for a minute than bald for a life time. SORRY! Retention goes out the window when a stylist is doing your hair at times.

I remember a while back, I was trying to keep up with relaxers, and give myself three- four months in between relaxers. I was telling the hair stylists who was putting in my weave, to be very gentle and comb from the tip down. She had the biggest display of a fit (since she was offended), telling me that she has had years of training and did NOT need to be told how to comb through hair. She even said she reads all the top hair magazines (blank stare). She exclaimed that she needed to comb from the root up in order to get all the kinks out.. :-\, basically snapping off the relaxed portion of my hair. . . . I quickly told her that I would be waiting for the next stylist, and that I would comb the hair out myself. OMG, she was furious. tsk tsk.

Last edited:

Netta1

I will never forget the day I went to this African salon to get my braids removed-this was a salon that I frequented..anyhow the owner was taking down my braid extensions and making all sorts of mean and crazy comments (well, she was really mad that i had the nerve to go to someone elses shop to get my hair braided) but I was PAYING her to take the braids down because it was time. Anyhow she was making comments like "who did your hair and blah...blah blah (insert African lingo here)....and she had the NERVE to be upset and COMPLAINING...remember I was paying...

I got up and left! I told her I will not PAY you to disrespect ME. :fishslap: That was that.

levette

Has anyone experienced this with a male stylist? I went to male stylists (straight and perhaps other than straight) and they had nice strong hands for wonderful scalp massages and styled very well (when I was relaxing).

Thoughts on that? Do they hate as well? I would not think so but ya never know.

I think male stylist are not like this as I have had one for the past 3 or 4 years. He never whacked my hair off which is a relief.

missusM

wow, this confirms my belief that if you hate yourself you portray hate to others. I had shoulder length hair, i normally got it relaxed by my friend who is a hairdresser in london, she has growing hands as we say in the caribbean. she is , however, expensive, and as i was going through a broke phase i went to this salon in Finsbury park London, ( anyone who lives around there will know who i'm talking about, its right next to the station) Now bear in mind that my hair was not down my back, this nigerian girl, who for some reason found it hard to smile, relaxed my hair bone straight even though i asked her not to, and i had told her that my scalp was very sensitive. so she washes it out, and says to me she to get some length she is going to put some tracks in. Now I know my hair, it can take alot of battering, its thick and healthy, but it looked limp after she relaxed it, i asked her " it looks a bit fine, do you think i should" greedy cow says yes, because they charge by the line.

three weeks later most of my hair had dropped at the front. I know better now, i'm not the quiet little person trying to be nice to people who dont give a **** about me, just my money, next time a stylist doesnt do what i ask them to do, or lies, they wont get my money or my civility.

coolsista-paris

geeese. women are so mean. especially blacks between them. i don't get it, we should be together,supporting eachother but NOOOOOOO never. always being *****y with others and the jelousy DAMN!