Hair Health over Hair Length?

pet

Hi girls!

The picture that I have for my profile picture is from June 2010. In July of that year I went away to the islands, decided to wash my hair down there (with any products that I could find in the store), and was upset to see that my hair dropped out badly (I didn't even see the hair drop out guys...it was just gone!). I finally reached a point where my hair was full bra-strap and healthy, and then it was gone just like that.

So I did a cut of about 3 - 4 inches and decided to nurse it back to health. After this cut I I learned to care about my hair health more and I was not so hair-length crazy any more! Below is a picture from last month, and two from today (where I got a trim). Even though it isn't as long as the picture from a year and a half ago, I am glad that my ends are filling back in, and hopefully in a year or so, I can get back to where I was a year and a half ago.

For those of you who are so concerned with your hair being long...please make sure that you don't sacrifice hair health along the way.

~Pet

Attachments

• photo hair 3.JPG
    photo hair 3.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 95
  • photo haircut 1.JPG
    photo haircut 1.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 90
  • photo haircut 2.JPG
    photo haircut 2.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 92

Aireen

I totally agree with you. I always said I preferred health over length but now that my hair is getting longer than closer to my goals I tend to want to hold on to all the thin and straggly ends. Thank you for this post because I was having a hard time deciding if I wanted to let go of the stringy ends when I visit the salon. Now I know though that it's the best thing to just cut them off.

4evershika

ITA... In my opinion slower progress with healthy hair is better than quicker progress with not-so-healthy strands...

Janet'

What a positive attitude to have. I agree with you--it's nothing like a setback to make you appreciate how important healthy hair is...If your hair is healthy, the length is inevitable! Great progress, you'll be BSL again in no time! :yep: :yep:

MsLi@512

So was your hair unhealthy before the setback?
Wait that sounds snarky, I'm saying that because it looks great now, really healthy but looked just as good to me before. great job anyway.

Last edited:

pet

Thanks guys! MsLi@512 - I was more willing to hold on to straggly ends to get the length...eventually, after doing henna treatments, my hair ends started to thicken up and I was lucky that it looked the way it did. Also, I wasn't (in my opinion) practicing healthy hair practices, or else I wouldn't have run into the problem that I did...lol.

Missjae09

Thank you for this post!!I have been strugging wth te same thing!! Some of my twists have thing scraggly (is that a word) ends!! I sssoooo want to cut them but I don't want to loose length. On the other hand I would much rather habe healthy looking hair over sick looking length.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I am fighting that same stupid battle right now. I have a relaxer coming up after stretching for 7.5 months and I just know I'm gonna have to bust out the scissors.

Your ends look really fab...great motivation for me to stop playing and cut mine. :lol:

KhandiB

Yup, Im in the same boat right now.
I was just about BSL, then noticed my ends were scraggly, started cutting, Im working towards healthy hair. Length will come eventually.

LadyJ76

I needed to see this thread today. I had been doing pretty good with length, but my haidresser pointed out that my ends and hair have thinned a little. I've started back up on my vitamins, particularly my iron pills and got a nice trim. Any tips on how to thicken hair and ends?