Hair loss from lupus

Pinkicey

Hello ladies,

I haven't been on here for a while, but if anyone has read any of my previous posts you know that I have been experiencing shedding. I had a biopsy of my scalp done about 2 weeks ago, and the results came back positive for lupus. Now, I will be getting a second test with a rheumatologist to confirm the diagnosis. I researched online (yes I know you're not supposed to do that), and found out that false positives with lupus can be common. The only reason I think I don't have a false positive is because nothing else explains why I have 2 bald spots in my head. Is there anyone on this forum who has experienced hair loss with lupus, and how do you deal? I researched all kinds of other symptoms that I don't have, but I'm not sure if I should expect to eventually get them.

almond eyes

My cousin has lupus. I think it had been in her system for years undiagnosed. Her hair started to show signs of thinning. She had to stop relaxing. Right now her hair is natural but very dry and thin. I have tried to get her to take a hair vitamin but she said she cannot as it conflicts with some of her meds. I told her to up her diet. Longhairdontcare2011 (may her soul rest in peace) had lupus and tail bone hair.

Best,
Almond Eyes

crazytrish75

These autoimmune diseases really wreak havoc on your hair. I got diagnosed last year with sarcoidosis and my hair has not thrived at all over the last year. It's been very dry and brittle and is the same length it was last year :sad:

It seems to finally be doing better now. Make sure you get a good work up by a good doctor. Best of luck to you!

exubah

I have Lupus and one of the first signs before my diagnosis was hair thinning. Right now I'm trying to get my hair to recover from the severe shedding I experienced earlier this year due to Lupus and Vitamin D deficiency.

My rheumatologist has me on prescription Vitamin D. I am also taking 5000mg Biotin (every other 1-2 days), being consistent with my JBCO usage, scalp massages and drinking green protein smoothies. The improvement is amazing! My shedding has decreased significantly! In addition, at 8 weeks post relaxer I have about 1.5 of new growth. Hopefully this continues.

Oh btw, I take 400mg Plaquenil daily for my Lupus and so far I have been in "remission" (no major flareups but still experiencing various symptoms) since 2012. I pray that you were misdiagnosed because it is a depressing and very misunderstood disease.

Lots of Prayers for you!

Pinkicey

I have Lupus and one of the first signs before my diagnosis was hair thinning. Right now I'm trying to get my hair to recover from the severe shedding I experienced earlier this year due to Lupus and Vitamin D deficiency. My rheumatologist has me on prescription Vitamin D. I am also taking 5000mg Biotin (every other 1-2 days), being consistent with my JBCO usage, scalp massages and drinking green protein smoothies. The improvement is amazing! My shedding has decreased significantly! In addition, at 8 weeks post relaxer I have about 1.5 of new growth. Hopefully this continues. Oh btw, I take 400mg Plaquenil daily for my Lupus and so far I have been in "remission" (no major flareups but still experiencing various symptoms) since 2012. I pray that you were misdiagnosed because it is a depressing and very misunderstood disease. Lots of Prayers for you!

Wow that's awesome. My last relaxer was stretched for 3 months and I only had 1.5 inches. I'm hoping to get a 2nd appt early November and I will keep everyone updated.