Hair Oil on Your Pillow

Barbara

Princess
How many of you have to protect your pillows from your hair oil? I use to use several old towels that are in good condition, but I decided to keep using those for bath and shower purposes.:yep:

For the past few years, I’ve been using cotton sample mattress coverings to protect my pillow shams from hair oil. I fold one or two of them in half to give them layered protection. Or if I have one clean one left, I normally use a plastic bag on my pillow sham then put a mattress cloth over it.

Even though I oil my hair thoroughly just once a week and I wear a bonnet, the oil still seeps through the bonnet. To prevent this from happening, I use to wear a conditioning cap, but my hair starts reverting due to the sweat. I drink a lot of water throughout the day.

I’m wondering if there are some disposable cotton plastic square pads on the market that I can use for hotels when I’m traveling instead of bringing my own sample mattress coverings. Does anyone know what I’m talking about?:ohwell:

I’m not worried about the oil in my square cotton mattress samples, because Tide or Gain detergent really gets those oil stains out thoroughly without leaving a trace, but I don’t want to get oil on the white hotel towels while sleeping.:nono:

Rezgirl

I haven't had this problem so I guess either I'm not using enough or you're using too much!:grin: Anyway, I have several satin pillowcases in rotation. I wrap my hair in a satin scarf at night and since I sleep wild it comes off alot but I land on the satin pillowcase. I change it out every few days. Plus my cases are black so maybe it just doesn't show up. AND I bring my own pillow and case when traveling so that's that. I try not to put too much oil around my edges because it makes me break out - my concentration is on my ends and roots. I use spectrum coconut oil. Maybe it's different if you're using a liquid oil? HTH

wheezy807

I haven't had this problem so I guess either I'm not using enough or you're using too much!:grin: Anyway, I have several satin pillowcases in rotation. I wrap my hair in a satin scarf at night and since I sleep wild it comes off alot but I land on the satin pillowcase. I change it out every few days. Plus my cases are black so maybe it just doesn't show up. AND I bring my own pillow and case when traveling so that's that. I try not to put too much oil around my edges because it makes me break out - my concentration is on my ends and roots. I use spectrum coconut oil. Maybe it's different if you're using a liquid oil? HTH
same here.

Jenn22588

I wish I thought of this before I ruined a pillow at the last hotel i stayed in. I went to bed with my hair damp and wrapped in a silk wrap (dry clean only) I had only washed it a few times and that point and the color bleed all over the pillow.:wallbash: The maids replaced the pillow and luckily didn't charge me. :yay:

Neith

I don't cover my hair at night (sleep on a satin pillowcase)

I think that if you've got oil rubbing off on things, you're using too much oil.

Well, I should say too much oil for my tastes. I personally find it to be a waste and actually... pretty gross if I put my hand in my hair and it comes back greasy. Look at people with type 1/2 hair that don't have problems getting oil down the shaft... the scalp doesn't naturally make THAT much oil (unless you have a problem or you really don't wash your hair often)

Not telling you what to do with your hair! Just my opinion.

pmichael52172

Two words.... Old T-Shirts!

I learned that back in 2004 from this board and haven't looked back. I have old t-shirts that are too stretched or worn to wear in public. I slip that sucker over my pillow (of course with my satin bonnet on my head) and in the morning, all is still well in the universe.

I don't have the oil problem but I do it to keep my face from breaking out. I switch pillow coverings too often to invest in pricey cases so I rotate the 2 billion t-shirts I have.

Barbara

Princess
I put enough oil on to last the entire week. That's why I had to switch to a less costly bottle of oil, because I would see it on my sample cover.

Even though I wear my hair in protective styles 99 percent of the time, it still dries out about a week later--but not too bad.

I guess if I were to oil my hair every other night, then it would be less oil on my sample mattress coverings. I just check my ends about two or three times a week and rub a little oil on them.

Thanks for your comments ladies!

Last edited:

Ladyhenri

The reason why i rarely oil my hair.

I solved the oily sheets thing by baggying, but my hair was always frizzy in the morning from the dampness.

And i tried my beloved satin bonnet but got greasy sheets again. I didn't mind washing my sheets often, but i started breaking out from rubbing my face in the oily sheets while asleep....ewwwww

Now, I moisturise daily, once a week or once twice a week, I put tiny oil on my palms, rub hands together then run that through my hair....that's it.

I don't think hair needs so much oil anyways.