Hair Problems

rayne

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Rayne and Nita, maybe we should start another site: the Underprocessed Hair Care Forum!

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny!!! Oh, and thanks for the info about the no-lye. I think I may buy Shamboosie's book.

Nita, thanks for the advise about the Humectress, but I tried that years ago (no heat) and I wasn't impressed. I use Mizani and that has worked wonders for me!! What kind of relaxer did your stylist use and how long did she leave it in? Also, did she just apply it to the new growth or all of your hair. Sorry for all the questions!!

deborah11

I want to work on getting rid of this no-lye hair that i have left on my head! Looks like i am in the same boat with rayne, kitkat, and nita4. the No lye relaxer reeked havoc on my hair and it is dry and certain parts just will not get straight. i now have a lye relaxer and it really is a challenge to deal with the rest of my hair. Humectress has also helped
alot im combating the dryness. i just continue to moisturize daily . I also cut off about 8 inches of hair this year and it looks a lot better. seems like most of my damage occurred in the back of my hair so i got it cut really short there--3 to 4 inches. the other parts of my hair are between 6-8.5 inches. i have a LONG way to go before getting back to where i use to be. i want healthly ,long hair again. sometimes i get really depressed about it all but i am going to hang in there .i still can't believe that there are others on the board with this same hair problem. i thought that i was the only one that this could have possibly happened to.

rayne

i still can't believe that there are others on the board with this same hair problem. i thought that i was the only one that this could have possibly happened to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I'm glad because now I don't feel so alone, but also sad because I'd hate for anyone else to be going throgh the same mess I am.

sometimes i get really depressed about it all but i am going to hang in there .

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, stay in there. You're not alone anymore. We're all in this together.....until hair do us 'part /images/graemlins/grin.gif

nita4

Rayne, honestly at first I wasn't impressed either - just desperate for something to work, so I stuck with it and it did. She used a Dudley's lye - mild, about 15 minutes max. She applied to my new growth first and then took it though my ends - she didn't comb - she worked it through with her fingertips. I was suprised because it didn't burn - at all. My new growth feels wonderful, my ends are not as smooth because of the underprocessing but they aren't as hard either. I attribute that to the conditioning treatments. And eventually, I'll trim that away anyways.

nita4

Deborah11: Sisterfriend, please...you ain't in this boat by yourself!!!!. My hair has been "JACKED UP" since June 02 /images/graemlins/blush.gif !! I called myself relaxing my hair after taking my braids out - seven months of growth - messed up by underprocessing. Tried to correct it and it just wouldn't happen. So, I pinned it up and started trimming. All summer I walked around looking liking like a dink. Hated it. Honey - when I read Shamboosie's book, I had no problem jumping on the band wagon because I needed help - nothing was working on that dryness and yes it was depressing big time. But now my hair feels so much better! Thank God. I just got my hair trimmed again, it's healthier, it looks and feels so much better that I can deal with wearing it pinned up until this spring because by then I know that I'm gonna be looking real good. /images/graemlins/cool.gif I just have to get these roller sets down pat /images/graemlins/smirk.gif We'll get there together, keep me posted.

adrienne0914

nita, you're right. it's VERY scary!! i guess i'd be a little surprised if the seasons changing was the reason since they're so moderate here. anything is possible though... i pretty much use the same method that you do whether i'm shedding or not.

yall, i think i've been pretty lucky with the no-lye relaxer. i also plan to change to lye (haven't decided which yet), but i never experienced the dryness from no-lye. i don't want to press my luck though...

adrienne

Kitkat

Hang in there, Deborah, Rayne, Nita, and anyone else with this issue. I thought I was the only one dealing with this problem, too! I'm sorry to hear that others have this cross to bear also, but we'll definitely get through this! Unfortunately, it seems as if there is no quick fix, but constant moisture is definitely the key to combatting the dryness. Like Nita, my new growth relaxed with the lye relaxer feels great. These crunchy ends are truly pain, but they will eventually be trimmed away. Yep, one year's worth of growth from braids, screwed up by underprocessing. I have SO learned my lesson!!

To the ladies dealing with this problem, I find that roller setting with setting lotion straightens the hair out. Give this a shot, if you haven't already, and let us know what happens.

nita4

Kitkat, I have SO learned my lesson too. And yes, moisture has helped me tremendously. I spray with a glycerine product daily, pin up and go. I'm just looking for something heavier for the cooler, cold weather. I want to try roller sets this winter. But, like Adrienne, every winter my hair starts to shed, so I'm trying not to handle it to much. So far, I haven't had a problem, but in looking at her pictures. I can truly identify. Rayne, Kitkat, Deborah - keep me posted on your progress since we all have something in common. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Jenai

[*]dryness
[*]breakage

Adrienne:
It looks like your hair loss was probably just the accumulation of a week's worth of normal hair loss. When I wear a weave, and then have it removed, there is usually 1-2 months of normal hair loss on my head. /images/graemlins/blush.gif You probably had a similar experience when taking your braids out.

daviine

My hair concerns are:

/images/graemlins/crazy.gif dryness
/images/graemlins/crazy.gif breakage