Hair Products for Twist-Outs?

So I "attempted" to do a twist-out on my hair today. I used Cream Of Nature Detangling Shampoo, the Organic Roots Stimulator Olive Oil Replemishing Pack, and the Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil. I don't really want to get into detail about how I did the twist-out, but I know the final result didn't end up the way I liked it, (because my hair is short and the ends looked spiky and sticking up. I used hair clips to pin them down).
I didn't use any type of hair 'cream' to lock the twists in.
What types of hair 'cream' do you use for twist-outs (preferably from a retail store)? Is Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil good for it?

Kiki0130

So I "attempted" to do a twist-out on my hair today. I used Cream Of Nature Detangling Shampoo, the Organic Roots Stimulator Olive Oil Replemishing Pack, and the Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil. I don't really want to get into detail about how I did the twist-out, but I know the final result didn't end up the way I liked it, (because my hair is short and the ends looked spiky and sticking up. I used hair clips to pin them down).
I didn't use any type of hair 'cream' to lock the twists in.
What types of hair 'cream' do you use for twist-outs (preferably from a retail store)? Is Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil good for it?

I'm natural and I've used the conditioner I used for
washing or co-washing:

Skala Shea Butter
Aussie Moist
VO5 Strawberries and Cream

or one of my Skala Deep Treatment masques:
Shea Butter
Fruit Cocktail

or Afro Detangler (Taiykel)

All leave my hair soft and smooth but the Aftro Detangler
works the best for me. :yep:

O yea, my twistouts don't look the best on day one.
They start getting more full after a couple of wearings.

Could that be what happened? Your twistout needs to
mature?

Did you get any of your hair products from a retail store?
As for my twist-outs, my hair is EXTREMELY short in the back...my hair must have broken off so I tried to twist as much of my hair as possible. I don't plan on keeping this twists in by hair tomorrow. They are so such a mess! It's discouraging. I thought about getting twist-outs or braid-outs done professionally..I'm second-guessing it.

Whimsy

I used hollywood beauty's olive oil creme for my twistouts, but they were more fluffy than defined.
hollywood beauty's castor oil didnt' work well for them for me.
I like to mix a leave in condish in now along with a moisturizer and it helps make it defined and slightly fluffy.

Just keep practicing, don't second guess yourself, just practice practice practice!!

Tiye

For definition you probably need to use a little gel when you twist. Fantasia ic gel or plain aloe gel are good. You can get either of these at walmart - or any supermarket or drugstore. Don't over do it with the gel though - or your twists will be hard and crunchy.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
on my twistouts in the past i used HE LTR leave in and Qhemet BRBC or AOHC as moisturizer/styler. it gives me the best twistouts. ♥

Kiki0130

Did you get any of your hair products from a retail store?
As for my twist-outs, my hair is EXTREMELY short in the back...my hair must have broken off so I tried to twist as much of my hair as possible. I don't plan on keeping this twists in by hair tomorrow. They are so such a mess! It's discouraging. I thought about getting twist-outs or braid-outs done professionally..I'm second-guessing it.

I'm sorry, I didn't see this. I need to figure out how to subscribe to posts with this new layout LOL

ok, so I was able to get everything except for the Afro Detangler (Taiykel) at a regular store. I ordered that from growafrohairlong.com

Aussie Moist and VO5 conditioners can be found in supermarkets and Walmart, CVS in the U.S. (I'm not sure where you're located). I've never seen them at my local Target.

I jumped on a Skala haul bandwagon a few months ago when a bunch of Big Lots stores were stocking them and selling them for a dollar. If I run out before they do this again, I'm gonna be mad hahaha.

Just so you know, my twists aren't that great either and I get compliments all the time. Even my mom who is still asking when I plan on relaxing my hair, has started saying they look nice. I do them when my hair is about 40-50% dried with an old t-shirt. I wish I had a camera so I could show you.

One thing that definitely helped me is making sure that each section, whether braiding or twisting, has as close to the same amount of hair as possible. That makes them hang (or when my hair was shorter, stick out) better. Nicer presentation.

Please don't get discouraged. Practice makes perfect! Besides, the thing with twists is that you don't even have to have perfect twists to wear them! You don't have to do precision parts or anything. It's such a great style and as your hair grows, you can style them different ways. I wear my hair in twists about 90% of the time and twistouts for the other 10%. Lately, because it's been hot, I wear them up in a french roll kept in place with a large comb and pushed back with a scarf tied around like a headband. I found that style on YouTube.

SequinsAndAbsinthe

I second HE LTR -

I have used it with Aveda brilliant universal styling creme; its amazing for shine (has cones) and gives me great definition whilst keeping my hair soft (but I cannot stand the masculine cologne fragrance, gives me headache, others love the scent though).

2) Aveda light elements defining whip _ LOOOOOOOVEEEEE!!!! I married this one last month.

3) And finally Elasta QP mango butter which smells great, but unfortunately did not give me much hold. But then again, it didn't promise me hold haha

I have seen amazing braid outs on the following blogs....I think sometimes its not just about product, it is also about how you use it.

* on CurlyNikki's blog http://www.curlynikki.com/2010/05/new-twist-n-curl-product-aveda-defining.html
* on Gabbanagirl's aka Moptop Maven blog http://moptopmaven.blogspot.com/2010/03/new-braidout-video.html
*Traycee aka KeepItSimpleSista http://keepitsimplesista.blogspot.com/2009/10/no-heat-style-part-ii-braid-out.html

Good luck on your twisted adventure :-D

SimJam

IC fantasia olive oil, ecostyler or ORS lock and twist gel

this one was done with IC fantasia on freshly co-washed hair