Hair shedding

aileenadq

Actually, my shedding has really slowed thanks to the iron supplements (thank you to KhandiB for giving me the idea), but I also know that peroidic shedding is natural.

That being said, are you drinking enough water and eating healthy? We can dehyrdrate very easily in the summer, and some people just don't eat enough when it's stinking hot.

Also, are you stressed at all? That can contribute.

OT: Your hair looks smokin' in your avatar!

Q

aprilbiz

I couldn't tell if I was shedding or breaking so I just did an Aphoghee treatment followed by Porosity Control and then I'll follow that up with some moisture. It was really discouraging as I've just gotten some length back.

I'll let Yall know what happens.

cocowhite

WOW! Amazing that so many of us are experiencing an increase in shedding at or around the same time. I was really trippin' for a while, then I calm down and said it was natural and that I would try my best to not stress (not just about hair but other things going on right now), finger comb only, use my garlic shampoo, continue drinking my 10 glasses of water (thanks to the heat) a day and have patience. Well I am glad I am not alone.

sweetcashew

aileenadq said:
Actually, my shedding has really slowed thanks to the iron supplements (thank you to KhandiB for giving me the idea), but I also know that peroidic shedding is natural.

That being said, are you drinking enough water and eating healthy? We can dehyrdrate very easily in the summer, and some people just don't eat enough when it's stinking hot.

Also, are you stressed at all? That can contribute.

OT: Your hair looks smokin' in your avatar!

Q

Thanks for the compliment.
I am stressed out, and I also had a violent flu just before this started happening. Also I lost some weight so it could be a number of things. I started taking iron supplements also because I suspect that I was iron deficient.
However, I'm not drinking enough water. I'm going to start getting my 8 glasses a day.

nadine1977canada

I'm also shedding hair, I noticed that and it scared me. I also have small ends breaking off but mostly hair shedding. Im planning to get my hair relaxed i hope it won't make it worst. Plus I will purchase a garlic shampoo ASAP!!! so i can use it before i get a relaxer.

joyous

Niara said:
Me too! The funny thing is my scalp is itching like crazy and I have about quarter an inch of new growth already and I just had a relaxer. My hair looks and feels thicker and has more body. It's weird but I think it's growing faster than usual.

Isn't is weird? My scalp has been itching like crazy since I started shedding and I never, ever have a problem with itchy scalp. I even went out and bought some oil for itchy scalp and I'm not an oil user. I also think that it's growing in faster than usual therefore more shedding.

VelvetRain

Well my hair has been shedding like a dog since April of this year. It has not stopped or subsided. I also had bloodwork done and it came back normal. I have a hunch it was those two Mizani perms I got. That stuff is just too strong for my hair. I am done with that relaxer.

On a good note I have been taking two nixoin vitamins and and a centrum daily for the past month. My growth has kicked into high gear. I am thinking about adding biotin to the mix but don't want to jinx myself or have my skin break out.

I have the garlic shampoo and the conditioner unscented. It didn't do jack for me. I am willing to part with it for free. PM if you want it.

Last edited:

growingbrown

Add me to this list too. I notice this when I took my braids out. But now that I have relaxed my hair, I am still shedding. I guess it must be this time of year. I have a lot of long hairs and a couple of short ones. They are not even an inch long. Shedding is better than breakage, right? :look:

BTW, I am starting back on the MTG. Maybe this will help with the shedding.

Last edited:

Cayenne0622

You guys should check out supergirl's thread. I can't remember exactly what its called but it says something like "You think you are doing everything right but you still have breakage" or something to that effect. Anyway, she offers 3 solutions to hair breakage. I tried Solution B and not only did it eliminate my breakage but it also curbed my shedding significantly. You should read through all 3 solutions and give one a try. I am very pleased with the outcome. I believe I desperately needed to use a clarifying shampoo, a 30 min protein treatment under the dryer, and an ACV rinse as a final step. Going forward, I will probably clarify once every 3 months to get rid of build up and do a protein treatment as needed.:)

sweetcashew

Cayenne0622 said:
You guys should check out supergirl's thread. I can't remember exactly what its called but it says something like "You think you are doing everything right but you still have breakage" or something to that effect. Anyway, she offers 3 solutions to hair breakage. I tried Solution B and not only did it eliminate my breakage but it also curbed my shedding significantly. You should read through all 3 solutions and give one a try. I am very pleased with the outcome. I believe I desperately needed to use a clarifying shampoo, a 30 min protein treatment under the dryer, and an ACV rinse as a final step. Going forward, I will probably clarify once every 3 months to get rid of build up and do a protein treatment as needed.:)

I'm going to reread the thread. I have to say though, that I don't have any breakage at all. Just lots of shedding that started suddenly a month ago. I'm even beginning to wonder if I've developed some sort of allergic reaction to some chemical in my shampoo or conditioner, simply because on wash days the shedding is extreme.
I'm going to wash without any shampoo or conditioner and see if that makes a difference and if it does I'm transitioning to natural.

VelvetRain

Cayenne0622 said:

I thought that was sistaslicks's thread?

What makes this shedding so bad is that almost all of my hairs are a 12 inches

sweetcashew

michelle3147 said:
I thought that was sistaslicks's thread?

What makes this shedding so bad is that almost all of my hairs are a 12 inches

Super girl has a thread going too about breakage. Here's the link http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=93610
I know what you mean by the long hairs. I have 25 inch strands coming out. And when I examine them they're so healthy. It's painful. The thing is it seems that all the longest hairs are falling out and those are the strands from the middle of my head. My hair is looking noticably thinner on the ends because of this. I'm definitely going to have to do a cut after this ends.

Mitre

My shedding is over the top. It began last April 2006 with no end in sight. I have given up. I only comb my hair once or twice a week with my weekly wash. I think my hair is come to the end of its growing cycle. My hair is still thick however.

sweetcashew

Tamika said:
My shedding is over the top. It began last April 2006 with no end in sight. I have given up. I only comb my hair once or twice a week with my weekly wash. I think my hair is come to the end of its growing cycle. My hair is still thick however.

I think mine has come to the end of it's growth cycle too. It's been 6 years since I've shedded like this. So at least now I know that my hair has a 6 year growth cycle.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
Ladies, please remember that shedding is natural and that it's much better for you to shedd than habe breakage where you're actually losing you length because the ends are breaking off.
I know I shedd more during certain times of the year and have growth spurts during others..
Maintain your regime & add a little more TLC

Mom23

Has anyone managed to get a handle on your shedding?? I'm still shedding about 50-60 hairs each time I wash. Ugh!! I used to only shed about 10-15. When will this end??:(

Cayenne0622

Mom23 said:
Has anyone managed to get a handle on your shedding?? I'm still shedding about 50-60 hairs each time I wash. Ugh!! I used to only shed about 10-15. When will this end??:(
My shedding has reduced GREATLY!!! I know I was losing anywhere from 50 to 100+ everyday and now I've only noticed like maybe 10 at the max. It improved after I did that Nexxus Emergencee treatment (under the dryer - no plastic bag - 20 mins). I did a clarifying shampoo, a moisturizing shampoo, the protein treatment, a deep conditioning (under the dryer for 45 mins), and then moisturized like crazy and sealed with Africa's Best Herbal Oil. I'm going to do a cowash tonight and hopefully everything will still be okay. If not, I'm going to search high and low for a garlic shampoo and conditioner.

joyous

Mom23 said:
I haven't gotten a handle on mine. It did subside some, then I washed today
and got really pissed at all the hair that shed. I also shed about the same amount as you. Hopefully it will end soon because I've been shedding since April. I think I'm going back to the garlic shampoo and conditioner twice a week until this subsides.

sweetcashew

The amount I'm losing everyday has reduced somewhat. But when I wash, it's madness. On Sunday, while blow drying, I ended up with a large ball of hair (about half a handful).
I'm not washing as often as used to and I haven't shampooed in two weeks. I'm just waiting it out. I know it'll subside eventually.
My new growth is astronomical though.

I've been shedding like crazy for the past two months or so and it's driving me crazy! I've never shed this bad before, not even when I was severely anemic.:( I'm starting to wonder if it's something we're all doing wrong? :confused:

joyous

I finally washed and went back to my garlic shampoo and conditioner, I'm happy to report I only lost five hairs. I'm going to keep this routine for a couple of months and see if the shedding has stopped completely when I switch back to my regular products.

Cayenne0622

joyous said:
I finally washed and went back to my garlic shampoo and conditioner, I'm happy to report I only lost five hairs. I'm going to keep this routine for a couple of months and see if the shedding has stopped completely when I switch back to my regular products.

Congrats!! Finally somebody with some results on this hair shedding thing. Did you mention what kind of garlic shampoo/conditioner you are using? I hate to ask but a sistah needs to know!! lol

joyous

Cayenne0622 said:
Congrats!! Finally somebody with some results on this hair shedding thing. Did you mention what kind of garlic shampoo/conditioner you are using? I hate to ask but a sistah needs to know!! lol

I used Nutrine Unscented Garlic Shampoo and left it on for 5 minutes. I followed up with Alter Ego Hot Oil Garlic Conditioner for 20 minutes, no heat. I'm going to keep this routine for a couple of months.

Cayenne0622

joyous said:
I used Nutrine Unscented Garlic Shampoo and left it on for 5 minutes. I followed up with Alter Ego Hot Oil Garlic Conditioner for 20 minutes, no heat. I'm going to keep this routine for a couple of months.

Thanks mucho!! I keep thinking about the alter ego. I'm going to give my own concoction a shot on Wednesday before I make a final decision on purchasing...especially since I already went out and bought garlic oil. I wish I would have gotten sulphur powder too. The combination may have been a good one.

LadyJay114

Thank goodness to read this post (I haven't been on the boards in a couple of weeks). I've been shedding too. But my hair still seems healthy and it continues growing.

Thanks for mentioning the garlic shampoo... i gotta try that.

SherryLove

please, ladies.... my hair sheds like crazy on a regular - serious...smile....i too have had blood work done, and everything seems to be ok... i even take a tbsp of blackstrap molasses every morn to step it up on my iron and magnesium consumption. still all this crazy shedding......i am not going to worry as long as i do not see any bald spots....oh well...

joyous

SherryLove said:
please, ladies.... my hair sheds like crazy on a regular - serious...smile....i too have had blood work done, and everything seems to be ok... i even take a tbsp of blackstrap molasses every morn to step it up on my iron and magnesium consumption. still all this crazy shedding......i am not going to worry as long as i do not see any bald spots....oh well...

Your hair is gorgeous.