Hair shedding

remnant

Candy_C said:
i see a lil extra too. i just keep it pinned up and forget about it tho! i haven't moisturized since tuesday and dont intend to till next tue.

its part of the seasons changes.

I think you're right because now here the climate has changed the temperatures are lower for the season (it's cold) and my hair is shedding badly, I understand why now:) !

lala

Last weekend, I went to the Aveda Institute (since I've grown weary of the stylist that I've been going to). Amazingly, I noticed that my shedding had decreased significantly after getting the Damage Remedy hair and scalp renewal treatment. The student applied oils to my scalp and massaged. She then rinsed and then applied the DR treatment (with a brush) and put me under the dryer for 20 minutes. After she rinsed my hair, I was given a mini facial. All for about $25.00. The student told me that the treatment that's used in the salon is different than the bottled products that are sold retail. I'm investigating to find out if it is indeed a different treatment. When I find out, I'll let you all know. If you live in a city where there's an Aveda Institute, you might want to check them out. Their prices are reasonable.

sweetcashew

lala said:
Last weekend, I went to the Aveda Institute (since I've grown weary of the stylist that I've been going to). Amazingly, I noticed that my shedding had decreased significantly after getting the Damage Remedy hair and scalp renewal treatment. The student applied oils to my scalp and massaged. She then rinsed and then applied the DR treatment (with a brush) and put me under the dryer for 20 minutes. After she rinsed my hair, I was given a mini facial. All for about $25.00. The student told me that the treatment that's used in the salon is different than the bottled products that are sold retail. I'm investigating to find out if it is indeed a different treatment. When I find out, I'll let you all know. If you live in a city where there's an Aveda Institute, you might want to check them out. Their prices are reasonable.

That's just wrong. No product I tried has decreased this shedding. However I did notice when I washed two days ago, I shed more than usual in the shower but when I blew it out it wasn't a whole lot like before. I'm still shedding a lot but I think it's beginning to correct itself.
All those garlic products didn't do any thing for me. I'd like to try the salon version. I have an Aveda salon in my mall. I'll have to check it out.

infojunkie

Joy,

I second that emotion. Sherry Love, your hair literally had me gasping like a fish out of water. I have a new hair inspiration.

Ladies,

Desperate times, call for desperate measures. I remembered a rather unconventional treatment in a thread I found here a while back. So much hair was in my comb and on my floor I thought something was really wrong with me. Long strands were coming out by the fistfuls.

I hadn't washed in about 3 weeks (gasp) due to scheduling conflicts I was having on the homefront. Since I was off yesterday and had time I figured I had nothing to lose since my hair was already looking like it was lost. (It also helped that I was alone - no way I would have done this with my husband around.)

I know I'm babbling because I'm a little embarrassed but since I already had my urine in a spray bottle (for my complexion - works like a charm) I saturated my whole head, put a plastic bag on my head and sat around for about 2 hours. Then I shampooed with ORS olive oil shampoo and used replenishing pack (sat under dryer on medium heat for 15 minutes under plastic bag). I used Carroll's Daughter Tui Tree leave in conditioner and KMS flat out straightening balm prior to blow drying on medium heat. I then used Carroll's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter and flat ironed with a Chi. My hair was gorgeous and from start to finish I may have lost 10 hairs total.

NO, YOU DON'T HEAR ME. THERE WAS NOOOOOO HAIR ON MY FLOOR WHEN I FINISHED!!!

I know it's unconventional but if it works then I'ma roll with it. Nobody has to know but me.

Good luck with your hair regimens ladies.

MizaniMami

lala said:

It's not. It's the same stuff. the only difference is that they add those aveda oils to your hair/scalp. They tryna sucka you into coming there.

Nice & Wavy

Ladies, since I've been using Supergirls suggestion of Mizani Intense night-time treatment, my hair has almost completely stopped shedding! Yesterday, I did something I ususally never do, but I wanted to see where I was at as far as shedding goes. I did a CW, (which when I did this three weeks ago, my hair would shed so much, I wanted to cry) and then while I was combing my hair, I had my eyes closed because I did not want to see the ball of hair in the comb. But to my surprise, there were only a few strands! There weren't but a few strands in the shower too. I was like ok...let's see what happens after my hair dries. This is the part I did that I said I never do....I combed my hair dry :eek: but, only a few strands of hair was in the comb :D I was sooooooooo happy:trampolin !!!!!!!! It's been long overdue and I'm excited now that my hair can continue on the right track. Oh, my hair seems more moisterized now than ever before too. I also use Paul Mitchell Awaphwi Moisture spray along with the NTM Silk Touch and my hair is :grin: cheesin' all the way.

Cayenne0622

I have the Mizani night time treatment but I don't think I know how to apply to get the results you guys have gotten. I did my own made up hot oil treatment last night - garlic clove oil, garlic and goldenseal oil, extra virgin olive oil, jojoba oil, and africa's pride olive oil and clove (bottle of delicious oils sold very cheap at Walgreens). I heated this up in the microwave for about a minute and then added two teaspoons of Avalon Peppermint Conditioner and mixed together. I applied it to my hair and put a plastic bag over it. I then wet my hair turban towel and put it in the microwave for a minute until it was hot and wrapped it around my head with the plastic under it. I put another platic bag over the towel to keep it warm and let it sit for 20 mins. My hair was so soft when I jumped in the shower to wash it out. I then shampooed and deep conditioned my hair for another 20 mins. The last step is probably the best thing I did for my hair thanks to Macherie. I used less product as the final step. I sprayed on my leave in moisturizer - Elasta QP H2 (saturated my hair with that and added sprays of distilled water while I combed). I put a small amount of NTM Silk (Neutrogena), smoothed my hair back with Elasta QP Design Foam and tied my hair very tightly with wrap strips and let it air dry. I slept on it and this morning when I untied it, my hair was soft and full of bounce - without any heat. It was very wavy because I am five weeks post relaxer but the new growth was much more manageable and soft. Its beautiful today. I actually flat ironed it and wore it down and everyone is commenting on the healthy and shiny look. I did lose a few strands this morning while styling but it is nothing like the 200+ I lost last week.

I'll continue this regimen until the shedding stops completely.

lala

Update - Damage Remedy Scalp Renewal Treatment

My Mom (a cosmetologist) who lives in another state, works for a salon that has a location that's strictly an Aveda salon. My Mom picked up the kit for me today, and per my Mom's colleague, the treatment is different vs. the Damage Remedy retail products. The treatment includes a syringe and 4 tubes that are a part of the treatment. My Mom got me the treatment for $12, so the cost is minimal. It came with instructions, which I'll post along with my review. I have the shampoo/conditioner, however, I haven't used them, so I can't provide a comparison. I can only report on my results from the treatment, which were excellent!

VelvetRain

I am happy to annoucne my excessive shedding has ended. I have been dealing with this since April. I went back to my former stylist back home who gave me a protein treatment because she freaked out at all the hair that was being washed down the drain after my relaxer. It didn't phase me because like I said I have been dealing with this since April and all my labs I had done at my doctor came back normal.

I have not lost any hair since I have been back home and I am going on three washings so far. Unfortunately they could not sell me the bottle of the protein treament because they don't offer it retail.

I am pretty sure it's the treatment that has stopped it because I was doing nexxus emergencee protein treatments and used a reconstructor. Those just weren't doing the job for me.

I should have mentioned the product. IT's called Essations Instant hair Mender. It's supposed to halt shedding and breakage immediately. It really works.

Last edited:

joyous

michelle3147 said:
I am happy to annoucne my excessive shedding has ended. I have been dealing with this since April. I went back to my former stylist back home who gave me a protein treatment because she freaked out at all the hair that was being washed down the drain after my relaxer. It didn't phase me because like I said I have been dealing with this since April and all my labs I had done at my doctor came back normal.

I have not lost any hair since I have been back home and I am going on three washings so far. Unfortunately they could not sell me the bottle of the protein treament because they don't offer it retail.

I am pretty sure it's the treatment that has stopped it because I was doing nexxus emergencee protein treatments and used a reconstructor. Those just weren't doing the job for me.

I should have mentioned the product. IT's called Essations Instant hair Mender. It's supposed to halt shedding and breakage immediately. It really works.

That's great Michelle!

Naijaqueen

my hair has grown so much this summer, but I'm also shedding like crazy. I need to try Essations Instant hair Mender or Mizani intense night

Cayenne0622

michelle3147 said:

PLEASE don't make me have to order this stuff!!!! :eek: I just googled it and its only $8.95. I'm going to do a search and see if I can find the ingredients and if they sound okay, I know I'll order it. I have gotten my shedding down from where it was but my biggest problem has been when I'm combing after the wash. I use the wide tooth comb and comb from bottom to top gently smoothing but I still have hairs on my hands and in the comb. IT MUST CEASE!!!:mad:

Congrats on being shed free!! Losing hair will bring a girl to tears!!

VelvetRain

I so agree. Yall just don't get the picture. I had gobs and gobs of hair in my kitchen sink and bathtub from one washing alone. I finally ended up getting one of those plastic drainers that catch all the strays hairs. That thing would be so filled with hair. It was so depressing. I am convinced it was all the job stress and worrying that made my hair literally start falling out. It's a wonder I even have any hair at all.

For those looking for the product you can find it here

http://www.choicebeautysupply.com/Products/Essations.html

http://www.essations.com/

gharp001

My hair is still shedding as well, I just placed an order for the Essations Instant Hair Mender, I'm getting desperate!

Naijaqueen

Haha so the recovering junkie in me just bought the Instant Mender, I cant stand seeing the hair I'm losing, maybe I'd have been close to APL now if I hadnt lost so much...NO MORE!!!

leleepop

I been using Nexxus Botanoil for a Pre Poo and Elasta QP breakage control serum for my excessive shedding and this has worked wonders. I have also been putting a plastic cap on at night when I know I will wash the next day.

Cayenne0622

Bumping this to see if any of the ladies trying Essations for the first time have tried it and have results yet??? I know...I'm impatient.

Naijaqueen

Just used mine yesterday, when it came in and its amazing, looks like I'm going to be usng it every week! Not losing much hair if at all!

Last edited:

sweetcashew

I must say that my shedding has slowed somewhat. I just stopped washing it as often as I was and shampooing less. I did a touch up last week and was surprised that not much hair came out as I'd expected. My new growth is really coarser now so I'm thinking this could have been shedding due to hormones. :ohwell:

VelvetRain

Naijaqueen said:
Just used mine yesterday, when it came in and its amazing, looks like I'm going to be usng it every week! Not losing much hair if at all!

I am so glad it's working for you:D

Tee

michelle3147 said:
Bumping for Letitia:)

Thanks Michelle,

I just ordered the Essations Instant hair Mender.

My hair is shedding like crazy. I am not use to this. I am about 3 most post so maybe it just about time for me to relaxe. I have never stretched this far. Depressing.

Last edited:

VelvetRain

Letitia said:
Thanks Michelle,

I will looking into checking out the Essations Instant hair Mender.

Mine hair is shedding like crazy. I am not use to this. I am about 3 most post so maybe it just about time for me to be relaxing. I have never stretched this far. Depressing.

Girl that may be the very reason why your shedding. Your waiting to loong for a relaxer. Not everyone can stretch that long without their hair acting up. I for know my hair would be a mess if I tried to stretch that long.

shunta

michelle3147 said:
Girl that may be the very reason why your shedding. Your waiting to loong for a relaxer. Not everyone can stretch that long without their hair acting up. I for know my hair would be a mess if I tried to stretch that long.
Yep, I agree. Maybe thats why Tee is shedding so much. Not everyone can stretch, including me.:perplexed

Tee

shunta said:
Yep, I agree. Maybe thats why Tee is shedding so much. Not everyone can stretch, including me.:perplexed

Shunta.....That is just what I was thinking. Last relaxer I made it 9 or 10 weeks. (No Problems) I think from now on I will not go as long as I did this time. I will be 13 weeks when I get my hair relaxed Friday.

juicy555

Letitia said:
Shunta.....That is just what I was thinking. Last relaxer I made it 9 or 10 weeks. (No Problems) I think from now on I will not go as long as I did this time. I will be 13 weeks when I get my hair relaxed Friday.

here here. I just stretched 13 weeks and my stylist ran his fingers thru my hair and came out with a bunch of hair.:eek: never again!

juicy555

michelle3147 said:
I so agree. Yall just don't get the picture. I had gobs and gobs of hair in my kitchen sink and bathtub from one washing alone. I finally ended up getting one of those plastic drainers that catch all the strays hairs. That thing would be so filled with hair. It was so depressing. I am convinced it was all the job stress and worrying that made my hair literally start falling out. It's a wonder I even have any hair at all.

For those looking for the product you can find it here

http://www.choicebeautysupply.com/Products/Essations.html

http://www.essations.com/

Thanks for this! I'm thinking that stretching for so long had to do with the shedding but I'm goping to get some of this jic.:look:

Cayenne0622

OKAY, so I need answers on this shedding thing. I used to only shed lightly when it was time for me to get a relaxer but now I am shedding like crazy most of the time. It started some time in June and has only temporarily let up with different treatments but that only lasts a few days. SO HELP ME OUT ON THIS...if our hair only grows for so many years and then it has to shed...how long is the shedding period? I realize we shed SOME hair everyday but what about this excessive shedding? You would think losing 30-50 hairs with daily grooming, and then 150 - 300 hairs with each wash (twice a week) for over two months now would be enough time to have lost all of my hair that needs to be shed. LAWD, I'm so sick of this! The weird thing is that I seem to shed less when my hair is flat ironed and wrapped. When I do protective styling it seems like its more prone to falling out with even the most gentle touch. I'm so frustrated. I've gotten to the point where I don't hardly touch my hair just to keep from any kind of manipulation. I wear it in a bun with a satin scrunchie, keep it moisturized, and tie it down with a satin scarf at night. I'm scared of my own hair.