Hair shedding

Miosy

I'm a shedder too. My hair started shedding a lot about 2-3 weeks ago. I bought Henna Queen garlic conditoner..:barf: It has a strong garlic scent and it lingered in my hair after I washed it out. I used it a pre-poo. This past weekend I used GBP. My shedding did slow down some. I plan to alternate between my nasty garlic conditoner and GBP as prepoo treatments. :)

Last edited:

Spidergul

Divine_Order said:
Same here! I've been wearing braid outs for the past month so I don't even have to mess with it that much. So far so good!:)

This is what I did when I realized I was shedding pretty bad for about 3-4 months. I put it up in braids for a month and saturated it every night and morning with infusium, olive oil, MTG and any other oils I had in my house. I also added iron to my vitamin intake. So far the shedding has stopped.
I told my husband I will be bald by Christmas at this rate !!:eek: I too was scared to wash my hair, becasue of the shedding.

MrsHouston

michelle3147 said:
I am so glad it's working for you:D

Thanks for reccomending this product Michelle3147. Anymore Essations tryers...I just got mine in the mail and will use it today. Will post results later.

Tee

MrsHouston said:
Thanks for reccomending this product Michelle3147. Anymore Essations tryers...I just got mine in the mail and will use it today. Will post results later.

I just got mine this weekend. Since I just had my hair relaxed Friday, I will use it this week. Thanks Michelle for the recommendation.

Tee

juicy555 said:
here here. I just stretched 13 weeks and my stylist ran his fingers thru my hair and came out with a bunch of hair.:eek: never again!

I ending up going 14 weeks because my hair was itching to bad to relax. I am going to keep a close eye on it to see how it behaves.

MrsHouston

I used mine today and I'm sad to say the shedding didn't stop for me. I'm thinking I have used to much protein, so I'll try the garlic next (only the conditioner) and I won't do the shampoo (tend to lose more hair during shampoo). I am also taking the garlic oil tablets...Pray for me...I feel I'm making no progress these days due to the shedding...

Tee

MrsHouston said:
I used mine today and I'm sad to say the shedding didn't stop for me. I'm thinking I have used to much protein, so I'll try the garlic next (only the conditioner) and I won't do the shampoo (tend to lose more hair during shampoo). I am also taking the garlic oil tablets...Pray for me...I feel I'm making no progress these days due to the shedding...

Hang in there. I pray it stop shedding soon. I hate hate hate the shedding in mass form.

Denim And Leather

Ok this is crazy, but now I'm shedding a lot, too! :eek: I'm getting long hair strands everywhere it seems. It started as a few last week, and now tonight, I'm getting a ton! :(

There's so many choices of what to do, I don't know where to start!

gradygirl

Miosy said:
I'm a shedder too. My hair started shedding a lot about 2-3 weeks ago. I bought Henna Queen garlic conditoner..:barf: It has a strong garlic scent and it lingered in my hair after I washed it out. I used it a pre-poo. This past weekend I used GBP. My shedding did slow down some. I plan to alternate between my nasty garlic conditoner and GBP as prepoo treatments. :)
I just ordered the Henna Queen Shampoo. I'll wash with it first and then follow with another shampoo to hopefully kill the smell. I just hope it works on my shedding hair.

MrsHouston

Ok I've decided to seek professional Help with my situation. Going to the doctor tomorrow and making appt. with salon also. At least when I was going to my stylist my hair grew more and didn't shed. Also I think I'm going to get it cut too (3 inches off = APL). I will have to just start over. Giving my hair back over to the professional!

Last edited:

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Boy am I excited, my shedding as put the brakes on and I hope for good. A few wks ago I bought Alopecil's Cream de Ajo (Garlic Cream) I applied it with a light massage as stated to scalp and length of my hair, it says leave on for 10 min, (now it doesn't say with or w/o heat so I just put on a plastic cap and decided to add heat for the 10 min) then it says rinse and style as usual. I'm glad to say my shedding was down to a few hairs, :thumbsup: I'm so excited I can't wait to watch my hair over the next few days. I will be using this as my final step over the next few washes and then will use every 2wks. like clock work
I don't know what it is about this garlic thing but I am definately pleased, it actually didn't have any ingredients on it but I can smell the garlic, it has more of a seasoning smell than funky, :lol: , with a pudding consistency and it's yellow in color.

MrsHouston

BeautifulWideEyes said:
Boy am I excited, my shedding as put the brakes on and I hope for good. A few wks ago I bought Alopecil's Cream de Ajo (Garlic Cream) I applied it with a light massage as stated to scalp and length of my hair, it says leave on for 10 min, (now it doesn't say with or w/o heat so I just put on a plastic cap and decided to add heat for the 10 min) then it says rinse and style as usual. I'm glad to say my shedding was down to a few hairs, :thumbsup: I'm so excited I can't wait to watch my hair over the next few days. I will be using this as my final step over the next few washes and then will use every 2wks. like clock work
I don't know what it is about this garlic thing but I am definately pleased, it actually didn't have any ingredients on it but I can smell the garlic, it has more of a seasoning smell than funky, :lol: , with a pudding consistency and it's yellow in color.

Glad to see that someone has tamed the "shedding" monster.

I found out (from my doctor) that I'm experiencing "Post-Birth Control Pills" shedding. It's the same as when after you give birth. During the "birth control" time you hair cycle continues longer than normally and once you stop taking them the hair cycle ends and sheds. Very interesing!

Where did you get your " Alopecil's Cream de Ajo (Garlic Cream) from...I've never heard of this.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I got it from a BSS in Camden NJ on Federal street, they sell a few dominican products I use and a friend of mine took me out there because the prices were much cheaper than online, and I decided to give it a try.
Another good thing about it is that my hair doesn't smell like garlic at all, after I rinsed I added my ego boost to my ends, Sedal hydraloe, Nexxus Botanoil and decided to wet wrap my hair last night since my daughter had swing out of this world last week and when I woke up my scarf and hair DID NOT smell like the treatment at all. :D
MrsHouston said:

I found out (from my doctor) that I'm experiencing "Post-Birth Control Pills" shedding. It's the same as when after you give birth. During the "birth control" time you hair cycle continues longer than normally and once you stop taking them the hair cycle ends and sheds. Very interesing!

Where did you get your " Alopecil's Cream de Ajo (Garlic Cream) from...I've never heard of this.

Cayenne0622

MrsHouston said:

It says on line that it has minoxidil, selenium, and vitamin e. Is minoxidil something that you'll have to use from now on? Will you start shedding again if you don't keep up the treatment?

Looks like its a dominican product.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I didn't use that one, let me take a pic of it so you can see it, BRB.
Cayenne0622 said:
It says on line that it has minoxidil, selenium, and vitamin e. Is minoxidil something that you'll have to use from now on? Will you start shedding again if you don't keep up the treatment?

Looks like its a dominican product.

MrsHouston

BeautifulWideEyes said:
Here it is:

Thanks BeautifulWideEyes. I'M going to purchase this too, so I can continue to treat my hair at home.

I went to the salon today and got a relaxer (I was only 8wks) My stylist told me it looked like I hadn't had a relaxer in 3 months (because of all my new growth:) LOL, I didn't share my lil LHCF secret. I did have a lot of new growth.

BEST PART: She gave me a "treatment" that stopped my shedding and say's my hair would be ok.

I HAVE A BIG SMILE ON MY FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I BEAT THE SHEDDING MONSTER TOO!!!!!!!!!!!

~*~ShopAholic~*~

^^^^Well Congrats to you, I know how you feel w/the big grin and all, I was smiling so hard last night or shall I say early this morning (4am) and there was noone to share my story with, lol.

shunta

MrsHouston said:
Thanks BeautifulWideEyes. I'M going to purchase this too, so I can continue to treat my hair at home.

I went to the salon today and got a relaxer (I was only 8wks) My stylist told me it looked like I hadn't had a relaxer in 3 months (because of all my new growth:) LOL, I didn't share my lil LHCF secret. I did have a lot of new growth.

BEST PART: She gave me a "treatment" that stopped my shedding and say's my hair would be ok.

I HAVE A BIG SMILE ON MY FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I BEAT THE SHEDDING MONSTER TOO!!!!!!!!!!!
Mrs Houston, do you usually stretch to just 8 wks? I can only go 8 weeks as well. I cant seem to stretch any longer than that, although it seems as most of us here stretch longer. What relaxer are you using, and it a mild or regular?? TIA :p

Cayenne0622

I believe I have beat the shedding monster too. I relaxed last night and things are MUCH better today. Whew! My hair does seem slightly thinner but I did lose a LOT of hair over the last few months. Its grown like crazy too though but what's long hair if its thin so I dusted and I'll continue to baby it.

Tee

Letitia said:
I just got mine this weekend. Since I just had my hair relaxed Friday, I will use it this week. Thanks Michelle for the recommendation.

Okay. So I am back to report on my Essations. First of all, I do think stretching 14 was a reason for most of the shedding. I had my hair relaxed 9 days ago (thanks tickerfactory lol) and the shedding has slowed down. Today I used Design Essential products and the Essations and WOW my hair feels sooo good.

The shedding hasn't totally stopped but I didnt have much shedding. But we have to be realistic ladies. It takes some products more than one use to stop the shedding dead in it's track. So you gotta give it a few tries. I will use the Essations a few more times to see if it totally stop the shedding. But so far, I like it. I am not sure it it's the combo of the DE products and the Essations but my hair feels and looks GREAT!

MrsHouston

shunta said:
Mrs Houston, do you usually stretch to just 8 wks? I can only go 8 weeks as well. I cant seem to stretch any longer than that, although it seems as most of us here stretch longer. What relaxer are you using, and it a mild or regular?? TIA :p

First of all, I never heard of stretching until I came to this site (8 weeks ago). I don't think everyone can stretch...I now know I can't.

It might be possibly if I got braids from weeks 6 to 10 or something....and maybe get protein treatments at the salon every 4 weeks (as my stylist suggested). She also told me that your hair sheds more when it's time for a relaxer...at the point where the new growth and relaxed meet - it breaks too)

I'm thinking of trying cornrolls (two weeks at a time) this go round during weeks 6 - 10, with protein treatments every 4 weeks.

I'm a "Design Essentials" lady, that's my preference, however I go to two different salons depending on what service or availability. One salon only uses Astae products (I think it's local in North Carolina)...and the other stylist uses Design Essentials relaxers. When I'm in Houston my stylist only uses Design Essential as well. I usually get the sensitive relaxer.

Dare~to~Dream

sweetcashew said:
I'm even beginning to wonder if I've developed some sort of allergic reaction to some chemical in my shampoo or conditioner, simply because on wash days the shedding is extreme.

That is what I was thinking! Since I've been using the Elucence line, my hair comes out a LOT in the shower. At the same time, I have to wonder has it always been this way and I'm noticing now because I have a "drainer" that catches all the hair {I didn't before} or is it the products!? I have to say that I'm switching back to Kenra since I've finally used up most of the Elucence shampoos and the conditioner.

Last edited:

shunta

Lanelle said:
That is what I was thinking! Since I've been using the Elucence line, my hair comes out a LOT in the shower. At the same time, I have to wonder has it always been this way and I'm noticing now because I have a "drainer" that catches all the hair {I didn't before} or is it the products!? I have to say that I'm switching back to Kenra since I've finally used up most of the Elucence shampoos and the conditer.
OMG me too!!! Whats up with that? Maybe we are just noticing it more. I wonder if mine has always been that way, since I just got serious a few months back about really taking care of my hair? But Elucence products are supposed to be good, and their ingredients are pretty good, too, IMO. I dunno...:confused:

Dare~to~Dream

shunta said:
OMG me too!!! Whats up with that? Maybe we are just noticing it more. I wonder if mine has always been that way, since I just got serious a few months back about really taking care of my hair? But Elucence products are supposed to be good, and their ingredients are pretty good, too, IMO. I dunno...:confused:

I know right? I started washing my hair with the Elucence shampoos and using the conditioners the same time I got the drainer. I don't wash as regularly as I used to either. Are you using Elucence too? I know there were raves about this line but I have to say that Kenra was the better product line for me--the conditioner was the best ever but for some reason my curiosity got the best of me and I decided to try the other. :ohwell: Something about that Elucence conditioner felt a little "thin" on my hair not thick...I think it made my hair too soft or something. *Shrugs* Now, I have to question the drainer thing but at the same time I'm also noticing more hair coming out when I comb...and knots since my hair is "natural". Another factor: My hair is growing...so does that automatically mean that we would shed more? My hair is already very fine and thin from genetics so the excess loss of hair is not a good thing for me at all! :nono:

Last edited:

PinkAngel

Letitia said:
Okay. So I am back to report on my Essations. First of all, I do think stretching 14 was a reason for most of the shedding. I had my hair relaxed 9 days ago (thanks tickerfactory lol) and the shedding has slowed down. Today I used Design Essential products and the Essations and WOW my hair feels sooo good.

The shedding hasn't totally stopped but I didnt have much shedding. But we have to be realistic ladies. It takes some products more than one use to stop the shedding dead in it's track. So you gotta give it a few tries. I will use the Essations a few more times to see if it totally stop the shedding. But so far, I like it. I am not sure it it's the combo of the DE products and the Essations but my hair feels and looks GREAT!

I just got my Essations yesterday & plan on using it either tonight or tomorrow. Did you follow the directions exactly? TIA

Tee

msshic said:
I just got my Essations yesterday & plan on using it either tonight or tomorrow. Did you follow the directions exactly? TIA

Kinda Sorta. giggles.

It said sit under a preheated dryer for 15 mins. Okay, I didnt let it preheat because I was in the shower when I read that part.

I did sit under the dryer for 15 mins but I was side tracked for 5 mins before I rinsed it out. So I let it say on a total of 20 mins. Other than that, I followed the directions.

shunta

Lanelle said:
I know right? I started washing my hair with the Elucence shampoos and using the conditioners the same time I got the drainer. I don't wash as regularly as I used too either. Are you using Elucence too? I know there were raves about this line but I have to say that Kenra was the better product line for me--the conditioner was the best ever but for some reason my curiosity got the best of me and I decided to try the other. :ohwell: Something about that Elucence conditioner felt a little "thin" on my hair not thick...I think it made my hair too soft or something. *Shrugs* Now, I have to question the drainer thing but at the same time I'm also noticing more hair coming out when I comb...and knots since my hair is "natural". Another factor: My hair is growing...so does that automatically mean that we would shed more? My hair is already very fine and thin from genetics so the excess loss of hair is not a good thing for me at all! :nono:
Yeah I use the shampoo all of the time, and sometimes I use the matching conditioner. I just dont know whats going on. But since your hair is indeed growing, I think it is supposed to shed a little more. I read somewhere before that hair sheds alot during the months of July thru Sept. Well, I know that shedding is a natural process. Well, at least our hair isnt breaking, huh?(knock on wood) I guess Id rather have shedding than breakage. But I dont want either! Whats a girl to do?!!:ohwell:

PinkAngel

Letitia said:
Kinda Sorta. giggles.

It said sit under a preheated dryer for 15 mins. Okay, I didnt let it preheat because I was in the shower when I read that part.

I did sit under the dryer for 15 mins but I was side tracked for 5 mins before I rinsed it out. So I let it say on a total of 20 mins. Other than that, I followed the directions.

Thanks for responding so quickly. I'm hoping this will help my shedding, I'll be back to post after I've used it. *keeping fingers crossed*