Hair Snobery: The Reverse Hair Hatas

chayil0427

Hair Snobbery: The Reverse Hair Hatas

I was at church today and there's this young lady...I'd say maybe she's 17 who has what I thought was beautiful APL hair. So I went over to her and asked her what she used on her hair...this heefa ROLLED HER EYES at me, and was like, "I dunno my momma does my hair."

I was like what a @$^%#. Yet, to my consolation her hair felt like straw. It had zero moisture. Anyone else run into someone with long hair that was a total snob?

Chayil

Last edited:

Wishin4BSL

Wow, that was rude! This is why I never ask people what they do to their hair unless it's on this board. I feel like people might think I'm crazy if I ask. My roommate is a bit of a hair snob so I understand.

ChasingBliss

Not really. Most people I approach with nice hair usually welcome compliments and questions. I think she was just being a ****** cus it's prolly her personality :lol::lol:...

chayil0427

Re: Hair Snobbery: The Reverse Hair Hatas

HoneyLemonDrop said:
Not really. Most people I approach with nice hair usually welcome compliments and questions. I think she was just being a ****** cus it's prolly her personality :lol::lol:...

Yea I've always had positive experiences when asking other long haired sisters about their hair and what they use. Usually they take it as a compliment and are thankful that I didn't just grab their ish and do a track test like other people do. Also a lot of long haired black girls have worked hard for their hair and are happy to share their successes and failures.

I guess I'll just have to remember what snobbery feels like when I get to my goal length.

upandcoming

Well, I used to be a long hair snobbed in a way. I didn't understand how hard it was to grow hair out after years of damage because my mom always took care of it and from the moment I got a relaxer, it was down to my brastrap. It wasn't until mommy stopped doing my hair and it broke off BADLY that I realized why people alays asked me about my hair. I was never rude, though. I just didn't understand what the big deal was.

keluric

I suppose I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and try not to predict a person's personality by their behavior in a specific situation. I mostly silently admire hair but maybe she got tired of people ooh-ing and ah-ing over her hair.. of course that doesn't excuse her rudeness, however. I know a lot of people act like they've never seen natural hair before when I go out and I don't like people touching my hair without asking. So maybe you can blame it on the fact that that happens to her a lot and that she's young...and probably lacks a bit of home-training to roll her eyes at someone like that.

ChasingBliss

chayil0427 said:
Yea I've always had positive experiences when asking other long haired sisters about their hair and what they use. Usually they take it as a compliment and are thankful that I didn't just grab their ish and do a track test like other people do. Also a lot of long haired black girls have worked hard for their hair and are happy to share their successes and failures.

I guess I'll just have to remember what snobbery feels like when I get to my goal length.

Yeah Im the same way. I would never put my hands in anyones hair. That's just plain rude...To be honest, if I think someone's hair is a weave, I wont ask them about their hair regimen, I may just tell them it looks nice if it does, but if I truly believe their hair is real, I may ask if I am already in conversation with them.

KittenLongPaw

Did you touch her hair before you asked about it? Sometimes people get mad when you touch their hair without asking, maybe that was why she was annoyed? If not, maybe she's just a bee-yotch :)

Also, when people ask me about my hair, I used to give them a lot of info about growing hair long, but I've found that people don't really seem to actually listen... It's like they just want to ask you about it for something to talk about, but have no intention of actually taking your advice :ohwell:

So now, when people ask, I will gage their level of interest in actually learning about hair care, but if they don't seem interested in all that, I will keep it brief. Maybe something like that has happened to her?

Last edited:

PinkAngel

chayil0427 said:
Anyone else run into someone with long hair that was a total snob?

Chayil

Yeap, I sure have.....right before I found LHCF, I'd had a bad experience w/ a stylist. So, I was shopping in Walmart (in the hair section) & I noticed a girl w/ really beautiful, shoulder length hair. So, I went up to her & said "hi, your hair is so pretty, who does it for you?" She rolled her eyes, popped her lips but didn't mum a word. I was shocked to say the least. So, I laughed out loud and walked away. She was not the prettiest person so this made her even more ugly.

Why some people are snobs about their hair, I'll never understand.......:look:

CarLiTa

I've never gotten hair-snobbed before.

even before I was into the whole hair care thing, ppl would ask me what I did to my hair and I would tell them I mostly use Motions, because that's what they would ask, what products you use. Back then, I used to use the whole line.

NOw, if I see a person with nice hair, IT'S USUALLY ON LHCF, so...:lol: I just ask them on here.

Oh when I went to New York during the summer, these girls' hair were maaaad long!!! but I already knew their secret: going to the salon every week and rollerwrapping every night.

I feel like whoever I meet with extremely nice hair won't tell me anything that I haven't read on this board:look: is that bad? :lol:

MissFallon

I've had this happen to me but it was a bit different. Most of my life I've been in love with hair that is bet. neck length to SL that is incredibly thick and full. Since my hair is thin I've always felt that it had to be long to outweight its thinness. This girl in my school had beautiful brown hair to a little past her neck almost to her shoulders. I was in awe and stared at her hair for a moment b4 I asked her what she used in her hair to make it look good. I was wearing my hair down also that day but as usual it was thin not full and luscious like hers. She looked at me rolled her eyes and had the nerve to say "what the f*** are u asking me for? You have long hair b*** so don't worry what I put on my hair to make it like this!" I was like :confused: :eek: :mad: I tried to tell her that her hair was MY dream and she rolled her eyes and walked away. That was the last time I asked anyone about hair.

Divine Inspiration

CarLiTa said:
I've never gotten hair-snobbed before.

even before I was into the whole hair care thing, ppl would ask me what I did to my hair and I would tell them I mostly use Motions, because that's what they would ask, what products you use. Back then, I used to use the whole line.

NOw, if I see a person with nice hair, IT'S USUALLY ON LHCF, so...:lol: I just ask them on here.

Oh when I went to New York during the summer, these girls' hair were maaaad long!!! but I already knew their secret: going to the salon every week and rollerwrapping every night.

I feel like whoever I meet with extremely nice hair won't tell me anything that I haven't read on this board:look: is that bad? :lol:

Nope, because I feel the same way. I'm not a hair snob, but I feel like every rock that could be turned has been done so on LHCF so I seriously doubt anybody has a secret that I haven't heard. The heads on this board are all the insider info I need.

However, that was rude of her. Regardless of her past experiences, there's no need to be that way, even if she didn't want to tell you. People have accused me of being snobbish and evasive about my hair, but the problem is there isn't one magic potion that makes for long, healthy hair...it really is a combination of products and techniques that make it work and the first time I started trying to explain it to a girl, she accused me of lying and making all of that up! :eek: Since then, I've been hesitant to go in depth about my regimen. So like Kitten said, maybe she's had some sour experiences, but she could have politely declined you instead of being rude.

chayil0427

keluric said:
I suppose I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and try not to predict a person's personality by their behavior in a specific situation. I mostly silently admire hair but maybe she got tired of people ooh-ing and ah-ing over her hair.. of course that doesn't excuse her rudeness, however. I know a lot of people act like they've never seen natural hair before when I go out and I don't like people touching my hair without asking. So maybe you can blame it on the fact that that happens to her a lot and that she's young...and probably lacks a bit of home-training to roll her eyes at someone like that.

Yea...we have a very strong youth program in my church which she was apart of. It still amaizes me how these kids call me ma'am when I'm only 24...so it was really a shock that she was so rude, but maybe it's because she gets a lot of comments.

Yet, I would see the comments as a blessing ...but ya know...people differ...

chayil0427

MissFallon said:
I've had this happen to me but it was a bit different. Most of my life I've been in love with hair that is bet. neck length to SL that is incredibly thick and full. Since my hair is thin I've always felt that it had to be long to outweight its thinness. This girl in my school had beautiful brown hair to a little past her neck almost to her shoulders. I was in awe and stared at her hair for a moment b4 I asked her what she used in her hair to make it look good. I was wearing my hair down also that day but as usual it was thin not full and luscious like hers. She looked at me rolled her eyes and had the nerve to say "what the f*** are u asking me for? You have long hair b*** so don't worry what I put on my hair to make it like this!" I was like :confused: :eek: :mad: I tried to tell her that her hair was MY dream and she rolled her eyes and walked away. That was the last time I asked anyone about hair.

:eek: :eek: :eek: OMG...that's insane!

LocksOfLuV

Not really, I try not to put myself into the thinking of "she think she all of that cuz she got long/pretty hair." But then there are them ones.:cool:

People use to do that to me, SOOOO not true!

I was a snob for various reasons...:lachen: (j/k, halfway)

CarLiTa

chayil0427 said:
Yea...we have a very strong youth program in my church which she was apart of. It still amaizes me how these kids call me ma'am when I'm only 24...so it was really a shock that she was so rude, but maybe it's because she gets a lot of comments.

from my experience, young people (and i'm just a year older than she is) aren't the best to ask such questions... most are into the "I got that good hurr mentality" it takes someone who has actually WORKED to get their hair to where it is, or just a humble person, to want to share their techniques.

Tee

KittenLongPaw said:
Did you touch her hair before you asked about it? Sometimes people get mad when you touch their hair without asking, maybe that was why she was annoyed? If not, maybe she's just a bee-yotch :)

Also, when people ask me about my hair, I used to give them a lot of info about growing hair long, but I've found that people don't really seem to actually listen... It's like they just want to ask you about it for something to talk about, but have no intention of actually taking your advice :ohwell:

So now, when people ask, I will gage their level of interest in actually learning about hair care, but if they don't seem interested in all that, I will keep it brief. Maybe something like that has happened to her?

I agree with the bolded. What is worse is when they tell you, "I'm not doing all that." :lol:

She did seem a lil rude though.

CurleeDST

Do you think she may have taken your question the wrong way and actually saw it as a slight at her because she may get approached by folks who doubt it is her hair in the first place?

We really need to stop and think and try and put ourselves in the other person's shoes before judging them and automatically labelling them something negative just because we didn't get what we wanted out of them or they did not respond to our benefit.

She may also be tired of people touching her hair to see if it is real or not or how it feels.

chayil0427 said:

CurleeDST

Unless of course she feels she was being rude to her. I don't know. If the girl was that young she is most likely immature and didn't respond in the most diplomatic way.

As a mature adult - nothing to get huffy about ... just keep it moving and find someone else to ask. No need to console oneself by stating how dry the hair felt. That is just sinking to their level of immaturity.

RavenIvygurl said:
all these things are not an excuse to be blatantly rude to someone

Cayenne0622

CarLiTa said:
from my experience, young people (and i'm just a year older than she is) aren't the best to ask such questions... most are into the "I got that good hurr mentality" it takes someone who has actually WORKED to get their hair to where it is, or just a humble person, to want to share their techniques.

Unfortunately, I have experienced that your statement is true..true..true!

I don't understand the rude part. Is it possible that her hair was weave and she thought you were trying to be funny?:lachen:

Okay, seriously. I don't know about the hair touching. I get kind of annoyed when people stick their hands in my hair. My hair isn't even long but when its down and looking nice, there are a couple of co-workers that feel the need to stick their hands ALLLLLL in my hair. One lady in particular. She actually starts messing with it. I get so ticked and pull away. I have to go to a mirror and see what she did. I just don't get it. I found myself wanting to touch another co-workers hair because its so shiny and so dense that it looks like a wig. I know that its not but I wanted to see what it felt like because its soooooo thick and beautiful. I asked her if I could touch just the ends because we are cool, I felt comfortable.

Anyway, I guess its best to just give the compliment and keep moving. We have each other to nag for information....:D

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
KittenLongPaw said:

Also, when people ask me about my hair, I used to give them a lot of info about growing hair long, but I've found that people don't really seem to actually listen... It's like they just want to ask you about it for something to talk about, but have no intention of actually taking your advice :ohwell: So now, when people ask, I will gage their level of interest in actually learning about hair care, but if they don't seem interested in all that, I will keep it brief. Maybe something like that has happened to her?

I've noticed this too. Also, when they ask me how I got my hair long I can tell they don't want to go on and on about hair products, hair care, and all the work that goes into it....they just want that one miracle potion that they think you used to grow your hair.:ohwell:

firecracker

chayil0427 said:

:eek: :lol: I wouldve said baaaby I am sure your mother would love to know how you are illustrated no hometraining or respect for others at this very minute.

cmw45

I I'm sorry you had this expeirence. :( :confused: Whenever I see someone with nice hair I make sure to compliment. Maybe someone was having a bad day, but that doesn't mean that someone else won't get a compliment because your day was off. However, you might not get another one in the future. BTW Miss Fallon, I'll take your thin *laughs cause doesn't think this is true* hair any day!

MissFallon said:

Last edited:

cmw45

CurleeDST said:
Unless of course she feels she was being rude to her. I don't know. If the girl was that young she is most likely immature and didn't respond in the most diplomatic way.

As a mature adult - nothing to get huffy about ... just keep it moving and find someone else to ask. No need to console oneself by stating how dry the hair felt. That is just sinking to their level of immaturity.

I may be a little confused here...but what exactly was it in the op's message that this girl could have mistaken for rudeness? I mean...I agree...I think that would should all work on developing empathy...but where was the confusion? I mean, I more than willing to grant that the girl might just have been having a bad day and this is not necessairly indicative of the type of behavior she usually exhibits...but...she was rude to the op and in the op's shock, she asked if someone had a similar expeirence. Didn't really feel a lot of judgement coming from the op...maybe a little in some other places though.

Last edited:

MissM

chayil0427 said:
I was at church today and there's this young lady...I'd say maybe she's 17 who has what I thought was beautiful APL hair. So I went over to her and asked her what she used on her hair...this heefa ROLLED HER EYES at me, and was like, "I dunno my momma does my hair."

I was like what a @$^%#. Yet, to my consolation her hair felt like straw. It had zero moisture. Anyone else run into someone with long hair that was a total snob?

Chayil

Did you touch her hair first-then ask what she used? Cause you mention her hair felt like straw. Personally, I wouldn't want someone just walking up to me and putting their hands in my hair-maybe that kind of put her off that you did that? Just playing devil's advocate.

But yeah, some people can be snobs!

Barbara

Princess
When I see someone with long hair, I don’t even ask what products they use because back in the mid 90s I learned and started using Verifen Complex products—even though I was doing a lot of things to my hair that were beneficial, but I wasn’t aware of it until I read the brochure.

Years before using these products, strangers would ask me questions about my hair, so I would give them my hair stylist’s business card . . . because I was ignorant back then. So by the time I came to this board, I already had bra clasp length hair. I get more questions and compliments even when I wear my hair up in a bun, because people can tell that there’s quite a bit of healthy hair up there.

What I did learn from this board is that there are less costly, good alternatives/substitutes that can be modified to mimic Verifen Complex's product line and get the same results.

Some women with long hair look so shocked when they see me with my hair down--as if they are the only ones entitled to have long hair. Yes, they stare hard and are speechless. Maybe they think they should stand out. Maybe that’s why some act like snobs.

Lusa

Chayil, did you go up and touch her hair before asking her the question? If you did, then that's probably why you got sassed. I woulda done it too.;)

Don't take it to heart!

meaganita

chayil0427 said:

Chayil
Yup! My cousin has tailbone length 4a texture. She won't tell you nathan about her hair. But she'll be the first one to ask if yours is a weave!:lol: