Hair Steamer Vs Electric Heating Cap

snoop

I was wondering if there is a difference in results between the two? I own an electric heating cap/bonnet, but was wondering if I should invest in a hooded steamer (the kind used at salons).

snoop

Totally different DC'ing experience. IMO: The Heating Cap is a dry baking heat. The Steamer is a moist heat.

Two different experiences. Two different DC'ing results. I have both and use both including my Hooded Dryer.

In fact, I use all three.

Thanks for your reply. Do you think it's worth the purchase?

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I've used a steamer, heatcap, and dryer. The steamer definitely helped improve my moisture levels, but I don't think as much of my DC absorbed when using it compared to the heatcap or dryer. I get better deep conditioner absorption with my plastic cap under dry heat.

I'd suggest investing in the steamer and using both. If I hadn't broken my steamer, that's what I would be doing.

Theresamonet

I've used a steamer, heatcap, and dryer. The steamer definitely helped improve my moisture levels, but I don't think as much of my DC absorbed when using it compared to the heatcap or dryer. I get better deep conditioner absorption with my plastic cap under dry heat.

I'd suggest investing in the steamer and using both. If I hadn't broken my steamer, that's what I would be doing.

How did the steamer improve your moisture levels if your products didn’t absorb as well?

Theresamonet

Steaming helps me to DC more quickly. 30 minutes under the steamer is equivalent to about 1.5 hours of dry heat. 30 minutes with just a heat cap is not enough for my hair.

But that’s the only difference I have found. Each method, done at the optimal time for my hair, yields equivalent results.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
How did the steamer improve your moisture levels if your products didn’t absorb as well?

I'm not quite sure how to explain but I'll give it my best shot, and hope I dont sound like an idiot. Keep in mind that I'm a low porosity head, so the hard part is getting moisture in my hair. Retaining moisture is easier.

Steaming:
While using my steamer, my hair swelled and some conditioner would drip off my hair as opposed to melting into it. I'm low porosity, so my hair only absorbs so much. I'm assuming that when steaming, my hair absorbed more water than product. After all, the steam IS water, so you're essentially adding more water to your hair during the steaming process. Plus without a plastic cap, some conditioner will inevitably run off before it can be absorbed.

Once I'd get out from under the steamer my hair would look more plump but have less of a conditioned feel as compared heatcap/dryer deep conditioning. That doesn't sound good, but somehow it worked. My hair may not have felt as conditioned immediately after rinsing out the conditioner, but once I applied my leave ins I could see and feel the difference. For the first 6 weeks or so my hair improved after every steam, becoming less dry and more pliable. I stopped seeing improvement after that so I'm assuming I reached my max in moisture level.

Dry Heat+Plastic cap
When I DC under a heatcap or hooded dryer, the product seems to melt into my hair and the volume of my hair decreases (smoothing rather than swelling). I get more of a "conditioned" feel (smoothness, shine, and that slight film that a conditioner can leave behind). Maybe since the only water to absorb is from my shower damp hair and the water in the conditioner, there's more "room" in my hair cuticle for product. Also with a plastic cap on, the product cant drip off before absorbing.

Why do both?
Before I started steaming, my hair was dry and stiff. Even though I heat deep conditioned every wash and it initially felt conditioned, but once dry it was DRY. Steaming drastically improved my hair because it allowed me to get more water/moisture into it.

Since my moisture level was much better, when I went back to heatcap deep conditioning the experience was different. The conditioned feel I'd get immediately after washing, lasted much longer. Probably because I was maintaining that moisture level rather than trying to improve it.

When I buy a new steamer I plan to steam for the first month or so to improve my moisture levels again, then alternate between steam conditioning and dry heat conditioning, to maintain it.

Last edited:

Theresamonet

I'm not quite sure how to explain but I'll give it my best shot, and hope I dont sound like an idiot. Keep in mind that I'm a low porosity head, so the hard part is getting moisture in my hair. Retaining moisture is easier.

Steaming:
While using my steamer, my hair swelled and some conditioner would drip off my hair as opposed to melting into it. I'm low porosity, so my hair only absorbs so much. I'm assuming that when steaming, my hair absorbed more water than product. After all, the steam IS water, so you're essentially adding more water to your hair during the steaming process. Plus without a plastic cap, some conditioner will inevitably run off before it can be absorbed.

Once I'd get out from under the steamer my hair would look more plump but have less of a conditioned feel as compared heatcap/dryer deep conditioning. That doesn't sound good, but somehow it worked. My hair may not have felt as conditioned immediately after rinsing out the conditioner, but once I applied my leave ins I could see and feel the difference. For the first 6 weeks or so my hair improved after every steam, becoming less dry and more pliable. I stopped seeing improvement after that so I'm assuming I reached my max in moisture level.

Dry Heat+Plastic cap
When I DC under a heatcap or hooded dryer, the product seems to melt into my hair and the volume of my hair decreases (smoothing rather than swelling). I get more of a "conditioned" feel (smoothness, shine, and that slight film that a conditioner can leave behind). Maybe since the only water to absorb is from my shower damp hair and the water in the conditioner, there's more "room" in my hair cuticle for product. Also with a plastic cap on, the product cant drip off before absorbing.

Why do both?
Before I started steaming, my hair was dry and stiff. Even though I heat deep conditioned every wash and it initially felt conditioned, but once dry it was DRY. Steaming drastically improved my hair because it allowed me to get more water/moisture into it.

Since my moisture level was much better, when I went back to heatcap deep conditioning the experience was different. The conditioned feel I'd get immediately after washing, lasted much longer. Probably because I was maintaining that moisture level rather than trying to improve it.

When I buy a new steamer I plan to steam for the first month or so to improve my moisture levels again, then alternate between steam conditioning and dry heat conditioning, to maintain it.

This makes perfect sense. And I’ve experienced similar. This is why I don’t use my thicker DCs when I steam. They don’t absorb. But I still get plumper, juicier looking hair/curls from steam treatments.

I wonder if it would make more sense to not use a DC at all when steaming? Maybe I will try steaming 1x week with no product, and DCing with dry heat 1x week with product. Or steam first and then DC. :scratchchin:

Last edited:

LushLox

Steaming elevates the whole DC process, it is far more superior than just steaming with heat imo. I’m talking about the proper steamer that you sit under.

You can overdo it though, personally 30 minutes per week is fine for me. You don’t want mushy hair.

Eventually I am going to buy a new steamer lol.