Hair Straightening Tools: What do I need?

Sunshine0801

I'm straightening my hair soon for the first time, and I want to make sure I have everything I need. I have:

Maxiglide flat iron

1 fine toothed comb (the kind where the teeth get a little more spaced out along the length of the comb)

1 regular comb

1 wide toothed comb for detangling

Shampoo, protein conditioner, DC

Sabino MB

I still need to purchase a heat protectant

Do I need a brush? I have a denman...would that work? Or do I need a boar brush?

Soliel185

I think you're doing pretty good so far...make sure you have:

a GOOD DC (helps protect against damage) * i see you have one, IMO this is most important
a moisturizing leave in (for under the SMB) SMB is a heat protectant
I think the Denman is a good idea b/c it will help distribute your other products and get rid of any shed hair

A plan of attack! Figure out how you're going to section your hair etc before you begin. It will save you alot of headache.

If you aren't going to blowdry, then I suggest airdrying stretched in a bun or something overnight after you detangle with the Denman. This will leave most of your hair straight and tangle free so you don't have to use so much heat to finish.

a smidge of coconut oil to finish - it seals my ends nicely :yep:

Last edited:

Sunshine0801

I think you're doing pretty good so far...make sure you have:

a GOOD DC (helps protect against damage) * i see you have one, IMO this is most important
a moisturizing leave in (for under the SMB) SMB is a heat protectant
I think the Denman is a good idea b/c it will help distribute your other products and get rid of any shed hair

A plan of attack! Figure out how you're going to section your hair etc before you begin. It will save you alot of headache.

If you aren't going to blowdry, then I suggest airdrying stretched in a bun or something overnight after you detangle with the Denman. This will leave most of your hair straight and tangle free so you don't have to use so much heat to finish.

a smidge of coconut oil to finish - it seals my ends nicely :yep:

Thanks for the tips! :)

Have you ever tried airdrying in braids? I was thinking of airdrying in about 15-20 braids, since I was hoping I would be able to get my roots straight that way.

Soliel185

I've never airdried in braids - I don't like to manipulate my hair too much while wet, and I always get tangles and snags if I try to braid wet. Plus it seems like it takes forever! :grin:

I usually put it in 4 sections, add my products and detangle section by section, with wide tooth comb and Denman. Then I smooth all of it back, go over it with my denman one more time, and put in one bun, or two low buns to dry.