Hair styles for Skiing?

*KP*

Protective styles for Skiing?

I'm going skiing for a week next weekend and was hoping to get some cornrows done (extensions) in order to protect my hair from the elements and the daily hat wearing.

It turns out I might not be able to find somebody to do it, I have only Saturday because I'm working away from home all week.

Can you ladies suggest protective styles bearing in mind I will probably be wearing a hat for most of the day and I am 5 months post relaxer?

Last edited:

JLove74

Unlike going to the beach where the salt water and sun can take a toll on your hair, any hairstyle will do for skiing. When I go my hair is usually pulled back with a headband or I put it in a ponytail or pigtails.

*KP*

Unlike going to the beach where the salt water and sun can take a toll on your hair, any hairstyle will do for skiing. When I go my hair is usually pulled back with a headband or I put it in a ponytail or pigtails.

Thanks for responding!

I was just worried about it getting wet and all the rubbing from the hat :perplexed

I think I might try the ponytail/pigtails and braid the length of my hair.

constance

Excellent question, KP. What did you end up doing and did it work out? I'm going 2x in the next 2 wks, but the hat I ordered won't be in until the 2nd trip. And also, I'm belatedly wondering if the acrylic & wool hat I ordered was a smart choice in terms of wear and tear on my hair. Sigh. Do you think a helmet would be better? Did your (or anyone else who's reading) goggle strap pull on your hair? Would a well-secured wig under a hat work? Any thoughts are much appreciated!

arosieworld

Thanks 4 our nail *****!
When I went skiing (My pictures are stuck in my old broken laptop, sorry) I wore a cute bob wig pinned down really well, with a cute white hat and it looked adorable. I went with a boyfriend at the time and I wanted to look good. I also did loads of waterproof mascara and eyeliner because lip and face stuff is useless. hth

constance

That helps a lot, Arosieworld. I've never worn wigs before but I ordered a few that should arrive in time for trip #2. I think they'll look good under a hat and protect my hair (and keep me warm). I'm going to return the wool blend hat & buy a simple fleece one for this week's trip, and braid my hair. I will definitely incorporate the makeup tip too. Thank you so much!

tnorenberg

The last time I went skiing I had a style kind of like a picture I saw Mook's Hair fotki. It's like cornrows going back but you do twists instead. I did my twists on damp hair using Garnier Fructis' Fiber Gum Putty to holdthem in place. About half way back I secure the twists with cute butterfly clips and left the back curly or curled under. It was a too cute style and the fiber putty held all weekend. I am an avid skiier and almost never wear ahat unless it is super cold so you know that stuff did its job. HTH

constance

Tnorenberg, thank you for sharing your hair styling tip, which will definitely increase my flexibility for my upcoming trip.

One of the wigs I ordered arrived the day I departed for last wk's trip so I experimented with it under the wool blend hat I was going to return. It looked ok. Maybe even cute (?) but only bc the tassles of the hat (North Face Peruvian Cable Beanie) hung down like braids, which detracted from the high gloss of the wig. It was definitely too glossy to wear alone even after fabric softener, but I'll include a pix after next wk's trip just for informational purposes. Ladies, thank you so much for your responses!

that_1_grrrl

If you are worried about the hat rubbing against your hair, why not put a silk/satin scarf/bonnet underneath?

That's what I do everyday. I just put on my bonnet, then my hat.