Hair that Won't Stay Straight

Julia

Hair that Won\'t Stay Straight

Hello Everyone,

I have been following this board for some time now and today I finally decided to become a member. There is so much valuable information that is shared here. Thank you all for sharing. I have a question, how can I maintain "straight" hair once it is styled. I think my hair type is 3b (east indian/negro mix) my relaxed hair length is about 4-5 inches past the shoulder. After I wash and wrap/straighten my hair, after awhile it gets <font color="red"> poufy </font color> - especially if I get hot. What can I do???? Does anyone else have this problem?

pebbles

Re: Hair that Won\'t Stay Straight

Hi Julia,

Welcome to the board! I noticed you said that you wanted to get your hair to stay straight once it's styled. Does that mean that it's usually wavy or poufy despite the fact that you have a relaxer?

sweetcocoa

Hi, I had the same problem(even when I was relaxed). I finally just gave up. What I do do sometimes is pull my hair back into a low loose ponytail(while I'm sitting at my desk) and that has helped keep the poufiness away. My hair would still get the 'wispy flyaways'. I'd like to know a solution to this also.

Julia

Hi Pebbles,

Thanks for the welcome!

It is not that my hair doesn't stay straight at all, it's just that it seems to soak up the moisture in the air very easily especially if it gets hot or if it is humid. I notice that other girls hair seems to stay straight no matter what. When I do the pony tail method to dry my hair it comes out straight with a lot of body at the ends, however I want to know how to get bone straight hair and maintain it, without using heat?

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician

Hi Julia,

My advice is to accept the properties of your hair, because it always breaks down the health of your hair to use products which alter it. Explore hairstyles which work easily with your hair, and appreciate your natural self. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kitkat

Welcome to the board, Julia! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NAY007

hey julia,

welcome to the board /images/graemlins/wink.gif,

have you tried a serum before?? maybe that would help with getting rid of the frizz.

also try to roller set your hair on big big rollers and let your hair airdry. then wrap your hair over night. the next day it should be straight.

good luck,
nay /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

LondonDiva

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
My advice is to accept the properties of your hair

[/ QUOTE ] Julia Welcome to the board.

I would have to agree with Honey Vibe about accepting your hair the way it is. I too have dry looking poufy hair that cannot wash and go and look like some of these adverts we see in the hair magazines.

I used to fight tooth and nail against my relaxed hair, and the key all along was to work with it and get to know what it likes product wise in order to get it to behave.
All I need believe it or not to totally transform my hair is a good hair moisturising with carrot oil by Organic Root Stimulator mixed with a few drops of Wildgrowth Oil and some castor oil added to it. I twist up my hair but that many not be an option for you (I'm relxed BTW) but once I moisturised my hair and scalp and put my satin scarf on for the night in the morning, it shines, looks straight, and vibrant. If I just left it alone or just did the ponytail method which works on some people, I'd be walking around looking jacked up. Sometimes a good flat ironing can make a difference. I've done this before and achieved that "salon" look. I'm going to invest in a ceramic one next year for myself.

I've basically worked with my hair, and know that in order to having it look the way I want, I need to devote that bit more time to it, and also more moisture. My hair is too thick and poufy for things like serum and straightening balms.

Robin41

Welcome, Julia.

I don't know much about caring for 3b hair but I agree with NAY007, a serum might help. I like IC Hair Polisher. Try adding just a few drops to wet hair and see if this helps.

Julia

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and your comments. I am going to try some of the products recommended. I agree with you, and I sincerely do appreciate my hair I was just wondering if there was some technique or product that I could try that would help. I was at a wedding on Saturday that I had to sing at - so you know I wanted to look good. /images/graemlins/wink.gif When I left the house my hair was bone straight, bouncy and shiney. However, by the end of the day I had to put it in a ponytailbecause I had been dancing and had sweated so much and it just got poufy. /images/graemlins/mad.gif I'll have to get some pictures of my hair so that you all can tell me what you think.

On another note, <font color="red"> Happy New Year </font color> and may God richly bless everyone! I pray that we all realize our hair goals, but more importantly that we remain healthy, happy and blessed in 2003.

Julia