Hair *Too* Soft???

MizaniMami

Hey ladies,

I'm so glad the boards are back up. I couldn't wait to run and tell you all this problem I had.:p

Last night, I clarified, did Emergencee (for 30 minutes under a heat cap), and deep conditioned about 30 minutes. I deep conditioned with Humectress, an oils blend (evoo, castor, carrot, and meadowfoam), and honey. My hair felt soooo soft as I was rinsing. I felt a few stands come out with I was trying to properly get all the conditioner out but I thought nothing of it.

Then when it was time to detangle my hair felt *too* soft. It was snapping and popping all over the place!:perplexed I have never had this prolem before. So I barely detangled, applied my leave-in (more humectress with oil) and slicked my hair into a pony tail to let it air dry. When I woke up this morning to check and see if the pony was dry, I removed the pony holder and more hair!:eek: I am so horrified.

I have been washing and letting my hair airdy with a pony tail for the last couple of weeks. No combing (except to detangle on wash day), heat or manipulation (except to apply scurl or moisturizer). I don't know what to do. I have this moisturizer from Lisa Akbari that is protein based so I might try that. I don't want to give myself another protein treatment since I only do that every month. What would you ladies do? Keraphix??

Ladylynn

Yup, I had this problem. Too much moisture and not enough protein. I was washing hair right down the drain. My hair was just snapping off. At the time I think I was sleeping with a shower cap over my entire head too.Now I alternate protein and moisturizing conditoners every week. I do protein conditioners 2 weeks prior to touch up time.

MizaniMami

Ladylynn said:
Yup, I had this problem. Too much moisture and not enough protein. I was washing hair right down the drain. My hair was just snapping off. At the time I think I was sleeping with a shower cap over my entire head too.Now I alternate protein and moisturizing conditoners every week. I do protein conditioners 2 weeks prior to touch up time.

I don't know... I had just did Emergencee (which is the largest protein I can take).

I do a light protein with every wash. So I don't think lack of protein is the case. Do you think I may have to do Emergencee again or just anothe rlight protein minus the humectress???

RabiaElaine

Maybe you are getting enough protein, but still too much moisture. I notice you are using scurl. I love me some scurl but I know I can't apply too much or apply it everyday.

If I were you I would wait a day or two and let the hair rest try not to manipulate it too much. Then I would wash (using a regular shampoo not clarifying, like Cream of Nature) and then use a light protein (I would use Lamur bone marrow conditioner, that stuff does wonders for my hair, it feels instantly stronger but without too much protein). I would only put on the light protein for 5-10 minutes with no heat then rinse, and then a moisturizing conditioner for 5 minutes and rinse.

Another thought is that you haven't been manipulating your hair very much over the last few weeks, so perhaps your hair is just shedding normally, since it didn't get to shed during your non-manipulation time.

I hope that helps...keep us updated.

SohoHair

Yes this exact same thing happened to me recently. It's definitely a case of too much moisture. It was pretty scary when it happened. My hair has slowly gotten better by laying off the deep conditioning and using just protein based conditioners in my washes for awhile. I too was using a light protein with every wash, but I was also deep conditioning with every wash which I think was the real culprit.

Sistaslick

Leaning on conditioners/treatments as your sole source of protein can be problematic as you've just experienced. Sometimes, after you deep condition, the effects of your protein treatment are minimized because the structure you've given your hair is replaced with the extra elasticity the deep conditioning provides. When you first noticed your hair breaking during detangling-- instead of reaching for more Humectress +oil, you should have opted for a protein based leave in conditioner--- like Infusium or Salerm to follow up your session. That would have fixed you right up and balanced you out.

I think you should go with a more protein based moisturizer for daily use to correct the imbalance until your next wash/treatment. That way you don't have to go through the trouble of washing your hair all over again and you can control the protein you are introducing to your hair through the course of the day. Cantu makes great protein based moisturizing products.:D

Last edited:

Synthia

I just bought some leave-in spray-on Aphogee green tea restructurizer with protein. It strengthens your hair right out of the shower and you don't have to rinse it out. But it can dry your hair out ...but with all your moisture ..you likely won't have that problem (just don't use it on completely dry hair).

You might also try Wella's Liquid Hair (it's also a leave-in spray on strengthener.)

ETA: Humectress has a history of making my hair too soft and mushy. As a rule I don't deep condition with it. I stopped using it for years (about 3) and just recently started using it again for quick co washes or a tiny amount for leave in. I only use it in SMALL doses. That's powerful stuff!

Last edited:

Phoenix

I think the S-curl may be part of the problem. It tends to make my hair too soft also...almost mushy.

Nita81

Synthia said:
I just bought some leave-in spray-on Aphogee green tea restructurizer with protein. It strengthens your hair right out of the shower and you don't have to rinse it out. But it can dry your hair out ...but with all your moisture ..you likely won't have that problem (just don't use it on completely dry hair).

You might also try Wella's Liquid Hair (it's also a leave-in spray on strengthener.)

ETA: Humectress has a history of making my hair too soft and mushy. As a rule I don't deep condition with it. I stopped using it for years (about 3) and just recently started using it again for quick co washes or a tiny amount for leave in. I only use it in SMALL doses. That's powerful stuff!

Oh that stuff is awesome:love:

MizaniMami

Everything you girls are saying is Absolutely right! I will try the protein based spray ( I have one by Lisa Akbari). I will keep you updated on the next time I wash. I was going to relax this weekend but there is no way that I will if my hair still does this. *sigh* I guess I'll see what happens.

And Sistaslick, something told me to use Keraphix as a leave-in instead on humectress. Darn I should listen to myself more often lol.

Thanks again yall!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
MizaniMami said:
Hey ladies,

I'm so glad the boards are back up. I couldn't wait to run and tell you all this problem I had.:p

Last night, I clarified, did Emergencee (for 30 minutes under a heat cap), and deep conditioned about 30 minutes. I deep conditioned with Humectress, an oils blend (evoo, castor, carrot, and meadowfoam), and honey. My hair felt soooo soft as I was rinsing. I felt a few stands come out with I was trying to properly get all the conditioner out but I thought nothing of it.

Then when it was time to detangle my hair felt *too* soft. It was snapping and popping all over the place!:perplexed I have never had this prolem before. So I barely detangled, applied my leave-in (more humectress with oil) and slicked my hair into a pony tail to let it air dry. When I woke up this morning to check and see if the pony was dry, I removed the pony holder and more hair!:eek: I am so horrified.
Sounds like your hair was breaking from product overload. Hair can break from simply using too many products in your hair all at once. Just leave your hair alone for a while (lay off all those products) and see how that works.

gradygirl

Using the NTM line made my hair too soft. I started using ORS hair mayo as a deep conditioner but maybe I'll try not deep conditioning for a while and just usea leave-in. Great advice ladies.