Hair Trimming

Daina

Just curious on what is everyone's hair trimming schedule or philosophy? I trimmed maybe 3 times last year but the person who did my trims has moved and I'm going to have to find someone new. I'd like to trim for healthy ends, retain length and growth and thickness. What routine do you ladies use for trimming? Anybody know a good stylist in the Philly area they use or like for trimming?

Misseyl

I haven't used direct heat since I went natural, so that's 2 years since my last relaxer and 1 year and 7 months since I did the big chop, however, I needed to even things up soon December 27, 2015 I dusted my ends.:afro:

claud-uk

I have big split end issues so trim regularly, at least 1/4" month every month on a moon day.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
On average, I dust my ends about every 3 months and trim about every 6 months. Give or take.

LdyKamz

Can y'all tell me the difference between dusting and trimming. I'm starting to think I've been dusting my hair all this time which is why I always need such a big cut.

I actually did a search on this the other day and saw some really good old threads. If I can find one again I'll bump it.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I just trimmed my hair last week only because I realize it was an entire year and I hadn't trimmed it. Other than that, I don't schedule it. I don't use heat or otherwise damage my hair so there's no reason for me to constantly or regularly trim.

GGsKin

Can y'all tell me the difference between dusting and trimming. I'm starting to think I've been dusting my hair all this time which is why I always need such a big cut.

I actually did a search on this the other day and saw some really good old threads. If I can find one again I'll bump it.

For me, the difference between dusting and trimming is the amount taken off. When I dust, I go through and inspect my hair coil by coil and take off around 5mm (not more than 1cm), or wherever I see the start of a split. If I'm working on stretched hair, I will make small parts and hold the hair taut between my fingers, but again only mms come off.

If I say I've trimmed hair, I've taken off closer to an inch, and maybe tried to focus a little more on the hair being even.

snoop

I generally dust my ends when I feel that they need it. I'm going to try a 3 month schedule this year and see how it goes.

What I do is put my hair in 2 strand twists then take off the amount that has thinned out. That usually amounts to about 1/4".