Hair Vitamins

tia123

Do They Work?
It's hard to say if hair vitamins really do any good. Certainly the manufacturers' advertising material is full of testimonials from satisfied customers. But there's no way to tell how many people tried the product without success—or even if the testimonials are real.

There is good medical evidence supporting the idea that protein deficiency can damage hair, but Americans (particularly those who can afford luxuries like hair vitamins) rarely experience the severe malnutrition that would lead to problems. Vitamin deficiencies can also cause brittle, unhealthy-looking hair or even hair loss. These effects have mostly been studied in people with severe deficiencies related to illness or poor nutrition, not in healthy people who eat a balanced diet.

On the other hand, there is very little scientific evidence concerning slight vitamin deficiencies and the appearance of hair. People who don't eat properly may well benefit from supplements. So might vegetarians and vegans, because some nutrients are obtained more efficiently from animal products than from plants. We know that B-Vitamins (including Biotin and Vitamin B12), Vitamin C, Copper, Zinc, and other nutrients are important to the development and growth of hair. Will taking extra doses of these vitamins and minerals help your hair? It might. There's no good evidence either way.

Iron and Hair Loss
Some pharmaceutical companies claim that anemia causes hair loss. Anemia is a decrease in red blood cells, often related to iron deficiency. Red blood cells carry oxygen throughout your body, delivering it to tissues including your scalp and hair follicles.

There may be something to the vitamin manufacturers' claim. Several scientific studies have linked hair loss and iron deficiency. The evidence isn't perfect, however: other studies failed to find a connection. But it's strong enough that many doctors check patients' iron levels when evaluating hair loss.

How does iron deficiency cause hair problems? Some hair vitamin companies claim that lack of iron actually "suffocates" your scalp: that when you're anemic, your blood can't deliver enough oxygen to keep your hair healthy. Other researchers think low iron may interfere with DNA production. Hair follicle cells reproduce very quickly, and they use iron in the process. If there's not enough iron, the cells may not be able to make healthy hair.

Check with your doctor before starting supplements containing iron, to find out if you really need them and if they're safe for you.

Herbal Supplements
Some hair supplements contain exotic-sounding herbs, often with Asian names. He Shou Wu, derived from the plant ‘’polygonum multiflorum’’, is traditionally thought to reverse graying hair and promote hair growth. In fact, the herb does have some antioxidant properties, as do some of the more familiar vitamins. Whether it really makes hair healthier isn't known. He Shou Wu has been known to cause liver inflammation, so people with liver problems probably shouldn’t take this herb and others should be cautious.

Saw Palmetto is another popular ingredient, primarily in products that offer to reverse hair loss in men. Saw palmetto is known to block the action of a certain male hormone which contributes to male pattern baldness. The idea makes sense—but, as with most supplements, the results aren't proven. Side effects of saw palmetto may include upset stomach and decreased sexual desire.

Amino Acids
Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Because protein is important for healthy hair, some hair vitamins contain amino acids. However, the typical American diet provides all the protein we need. It's doubtful that the extra amino acids in the vitamin pills will make a difference. On the other hand, there aren't any scientific studies looking at amino acid supplements and the health of hair—so it's really up to the consumer whether to give them a try.

Are Hair Vitamins Safe?
The safety of each product depends on what's in it and how it's used, as well as on the medical history and general health of the person taking it. It's possible to overdose on some vitamins and minerals. Supplements may also interact with other medications you're taking. It's always smart to check with your health care provider before starting any supplement.

This info is from http://hair.lovetoknow.com/Hair_Vitamins

amwcah

I'm wondering if they will actually make a difference for me. I just started taking them consistently because of the Hide Your Hair Challenge. We shall see!

LadyPaniolo

You know what REALLY makes a difference? Prenatal vitamins.

I know, I know, been said before. But seriously, though, special vitamin blends for hair are often expensive and have the same ingredients as the prenatals, which can be bought for next to nothing. I get mine at Target for $6 a bottle. A bottle lasts me a couple months!!

I can literally see on my nails the line of demarcation from when I started taking them, the nails that grew in once I was on the vits are a paler color and are thicker, stronger.
Things that grow your nails also grow your hair.

Besides, even if it's not as much hair growth as you dream of, it's still great for your health.

CurleeDST

Typically people need to take vitamins because so many of us do not eat enough of the right stuff and don't get the daily recommended amount of vitamins and minerals recommended. So people may see spurts of growth b/c their body is getting wha it was missing including improved energy levels.

If folks would just do the simple things recommended (eat right and exercise) they will see major improvements NOT with just their hair but skin, body, memory, mental clarity, etc.

Good luck.

PinkSkates

CurleeDST
Typically people need to take vitamins because so many of us do not eat enough of the right stuff and don't get the daily recommended amount of vitamins and minerals recommended. So people may see spurts of growth b/c their body is getting wha it was missing including improved energy levels.

If folks would just do the simple things recommended (eat right and exercise) they will see major improvements NOT with just their hair but skin, body, memory, mental clarity, etc.

Good luck.
That is so very true!

Mellowqueen

Today there was an article in the associated press regarding the increase risk of prostate cancer and intake of multivitamins. They didn't mention women, so I don't know of any risks. I know that I have been taking a multivitamin for years, so I dunno........

AP Washington

Study: Vitamins Tied to Prostate Cancer

By Associated Press

May 15, 2007, 11:17 PM EDT
WASHINGTON -- There's more worrisome news about vitamins: Taking too many may increase men's risk of dying from prostate cancer.

The study, being published Wednesday, doesn't settle the issue. But it is the biggest yet to suggest high-dose multivitamins may harm the prostate, and the latest chapter in the confusing quest to tell whether taking various vitamins really helps a variety of conditions -- or is a waste of money, or worse.

Government scientists turned to a study tracking the diet and health of almost 300,000 men. About a third reported taking a daily multivitamin, and 5 percent were heavy users, swallowing the pills more than seven times a week.

Within five years of the study's start, 10,241 men had been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Some 1,476 had advanced cancer; 179 died.

Heavy multivitamin users were almost twice as likely to get fatal prostate cancer as men who never took the pills, concludes the study in Wednesday's Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

Here's the twist: Overall, the researchers found no link between multivitamin use and early-stage prostate cancer.

The researchers speculate that perhaps high-dose vitamins had little effect until a tumor appeared, and then could spur its growth.

While similar but smaller studies have suggested a link, too, more rigorous research is needed, caution the National Cancer Institute scientists. This newest study involves men who voluntarily took vitamins, and those most at risk -- perhaps because they had a family history of the disease -- may have been more likely to take the pills in hopes of avoiding their fate.

Still, "the findings lend further credence to the possibility of harm associated with increased use of supplements," Dr. Christian Gluud of Copenhagen University Hospital and Dr. Goran Bjelakovic of Serbia's University of Nis wrote in an accompanying editorial.

Last edited:

lizjoseph

Prenatals? Really? More so than a multi- vitamin like Women's One A Day? Do you know what add to it that makes it better for yur hair? Thanks!

joyousnerd said:
You know what REALLY makes a difference? Prenatal vitamins.

I know, I know, been said before. But seriously, though, special vitamin blends for hair are often expensive and have the same ingredients as the prenatals, which can be bought for next to nothing. I get mine at Target for $6 a bottle. A bottle lasts me a couple months!!

I can literally see on my nails the line of demarcation from when I started taking them, the nails that grew in once I was on the vits are a paler color and are thicker, stronger.
Things that grow your nails also grow your hair.

Besides, even if it's not as much hair growth as you dream of, it's still great for your health.

MizAvalon

I don't think most people take vitamins long enough or correctly enough to know whether they really work or not.

IMO, vitamins need to be taken consistently for a minimum of at least 6 months to even begin seeing any kind of real difference.

indefinite

lizjoseph said:
Prenatals? Really? More so than a multi- vitamin like Women's One A Day? Do you know what add to it that makes it better for yur hair? Thanks!

It's true. After my surgery, my doctor prescribed prenatals to help my body heal faster. He said it had the more nutrients than any other vitamins.

LadyPaniolo

lizjoseph said:
I actually have a bottle of the Women's One A Day here, that I had before I got pregnant. I had been taking them, but not as religiously as I do when pregnant.

The same vitamins and minerals are present in both, it's just in differing amounts. The prenatals have twice the vitamin C, twice the niacin, three times the calcium and about 50% more iron. (Too much iron will get you sick)

My doc reccomends that even between pregnancies (I hope to have lots of them!) I continue to take prenatals, since you don't always know you are pregnant the instant it happens. So much development happens in the first few weeks.

Plus they are even cheaper than the One a Days.
HTH

meaganita

I can testify to the effectiveness of Hair,Skin,& Nail vitamins. My normally brittle, fragile nails that could barely retain any kind of consistent length, saw a complete 180 degree turn-around after about 20 days of using my HSN supplement. My nails on both hands were longer, stronger, and healther than I've ever seen them without any kind of overlay (fiberglass, acrylic, etc.). My only downfall was using a cheap nail hardener that actually weakened my nails and broke my two middle fingernails. So I had to cut them all down, but I'm not sweatin' it because I know the supps work and my nails will be back in no time!:)

Word to the wise...don't try to cut corners by using janky products on your nails...or your hair for that matter!;)