Hair war (EXTREMELY LONG VENT)

foxybronx

Awww...thanks mskenesha
Your too sweet.

BTW I'm sure everyone caught the sarcasm
[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
Foxy,

Your hair is really beautiful and you have made so much progress. I wouldn't be surprised if these people are just haters and that even with their "super mixed genes" they still don't have hair half as beautiful as yours.

*I was being sarcastic about the super mixed genes in reference to the way her "friends" justify having or not having long hair...much love to my bi & multi racial sistahs!

[/ QUOTE ]

hiza

I really can’t understand that half Dominican thing, because most of the Dominican have 4s hair type.

hiza...

foxybronx

aww..i know you support me, you always do...
LHCF girls got a sista's back
Calling you at 5:00

[ QUOTE ]
daviine said:
[ QUOTE ]
Carlie said:
[ QUOTE ]
foxybronx said:
SO my hair goal now is however long it can grow, and still be thick and healthy. SO if I that means waist length/butt length I am going to DO IT

[/ QUOTE ]

I am cheering you on with this goal! Some people are just tooo ignorant to try and explain anything to and just need to be put in their place.

When it comes to black women and growing hair, most are very biased in their views...and are just plain haters. My hair is not even that long (yet) and I have people tellin' me that I need to stop messin' w. my hair because it's "long enough." What is that supposed to mean!

Girl, you go 'head and grow!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

What she said (because I love her cheerleaders!)

Foxy--you know I support you 100%! Now, why haven't you called me girlie!

[/ QUOTE ]

kedra70

ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!! Don't you just hate this? I just want to climb on top of the highest building and shout: BLACK PEOPLE CAN GROW LONG HAIR IF THEY TAKE CARE OF IT!!!!! It saddens me that even black folks don't believe it! It has nothing to do with whether you have white or Puerto Rican or Dominican in your family tree, you can grow hair.

Foxybronx, you just keep taking care of and growing your hair - let that be the answer to everyone's question/judgement.

Kedra

Carlie

[ QUOTE ]
kedra70 said:
ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!! Don't you just hate this? I just want to climb on top of the highest building and shout: BLACK PEOPLE CAN GROW LONG HAIR IF THEY TAKE CARE OF IT!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
That would be a good commercial...

Ayeshia

OMG this is why I hate going to a white school. Today I was at lunch with some of the people from my dorm and one girl was talking about her frizz because it was raining today.and I told her that maybe she shouldnt brush it while its dry and only while wet and use only conditioner to wash on humid days...dont you know this ***** was like "You dont have long hair so you dont understand"
These fools think that this is the longest my hair will ever get
Whew I cant wait to show these suckers!!!

kitchen_tician

[ QUOTE ]
dreemssold said:
This is sort of O/T, but I just saw your album, and your hair looks beautiful
. I'd say you've shown and proven already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto, your hair is beautiful!!! Grow On!!!

Oh yeah as far hair growth, I also think hair type contributes to hair growth. The straighter the hair, the faster it sprouts from the follicle. Often times, curly hair takes longer to sprout through the follicle.

cutebajangirl

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
OMG this is why I hate going to a white school. Today I was at lunch with some of the people from my dorm and one girl was talking about her frizz because it was raining today.and I told her that maybe she shouldnt brush it while its dry and only while wet and use only conditioner to wash on humid days...dont you know this ***** was like "You dont have long hair so you dont understand"
These fools think that this is the longest my hair will ever get
Whew I cant wait to show these suckers!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

NO!!!!!

hotshot

i hate thar my hair isnt at the length i want it so i can do more with it. i cant wait to show up at christmas with beautiful longer hair. i think my fam thinks natural hair doesnt grow. and why last chrismas did my 12 yr old cousin ask if i keep my hair nappy because im lazy? oneof the adults corrected him quick, luckily.

EbonyEyes

[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:
Oh yeah as far hair growth, I also think hair type contributes to hair growth. The straighter the hair, the faster it sprouts from the follicle. Often times, curly hair takes longer to sprout through the follicle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you read that?

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
EbonyEyes said:
[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you read that?

[/ QUOTE ]

lovelymissyoli

That’s just plain ignorance! You know what, you should have given all those people this website and have them look at the hundreds of BLACK women who have long hair and those who are striving to obtain it like myself. Yeah, our hair may not be down to our butts, but that doesn’t mean it could never grow there. Girl, prove them wrong and once you reach your goal shake that long, healthy, natural, black hair in their face!

kitchen_tician

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
[ QUOTE ]
EbonyEyes said:
[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you read that?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I don't have the source of this info, but I recall reading it somewhere and I've also heard a couple of stylist say this.

I don't know how much truth there is to it, but it seemed to make sense when it came to comparing the rate of hair growth between certain races which have different hair textures.

BlkHoneyLuv2U

you get em gurl!!
and if they give you too much fuss just send em to us. we got your back! Cause you can always show em better than you can tell em
done made me upset, blood pressure rising, making me wanna fight

Carlie

[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:
[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
[ QUOTE ]
EbonyEyes said:
[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you read that?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I don't have the source of this info, but I recall reading it somewhere and I've also heard a couple of stylist say this.

I don't know how much truth there is to it, but it seemed to make sense when it came to comparing the rate of hair growth between certain races which have different hair textures.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I read that somewhere too...makes since to me
...but I think courseness has something to do with it too since there are a lot of ("non-ethnic")curlies out there with fine hair that seems to grow 6 inches in 24 hrs.

ricochet

This is so sad but true among us. You have to tune this type of ignorance out...that's what I do. My natural hair has grown more than I ever thought it would in these past 2 years and I have been at the same job so I work with alot of the same people since my twa. I think people that want something and don't want to do the research on it to get it, are destined to have ignorant stuff to say. One girl(and she's really nice, don't get me wrong...and believes that normal black folks hair doesn't grow very long, uses the term "good hair" Ugh!) even had to audacity to ask to look at my roots! I couldn't stop her because she was already in my head...Her comment was "See girl, your roots ain't even nappy!" I was like "Huh?" I proceeded to explain to her that my hair was pulled into two plaits so of course my roots were laying smooth because of the way it was styled! This girl really wants to grow her hair long, but she WON'T LISTEN TO ME.

I have worked with her for 2 years and my hair has gone from a 2" twa to bra strap length(straightened) and her hair has gone from a lil past shoulder length to chin length because of unnecessary trims and breakage through these 2 years.

She has the techniques down, she wears phony ponies, her hair is in great condition, etc. All she needs to do is throw a baggie under that phony pony, moistuirize properly, etc. Like I said before, THEY DON'T LISTEN! Tune it out girl...I don't talk about hair to anyone anymore, besides the LHCF.

foxybronx

Kitchen, your one of my hair idols. Thanks for the compliment.

What you said kinda make sense, but then again I know a lot of 4a/b that gets ½” a month. Do you think that other hair types get more than ½ an inch or do you think that we (Type 4a/b) get less?…

If I see someone with hair that appears to be growing faster than mine. I look at their height, not necessarily their type.

For example, their was someone with type 3 hair that I know whom I thought hair grew WAY faster than mine. At first I thought it was our hairtype difference that made her hair growth faster, because her hair just shot down her back so fast! She was brastrap heading to waist in a short amount of time. But then I realized she was WAY shorter than me. So her brastrap would be my shoulder length because I am 5’7 and she is 5’. So I definitely think a lot of the time its height.

[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:
[ QUOTE ]
dreemssold said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SoAnxious12

Foxy i know all too well how you feel. Most of my friends have long hair and me being the hair addict that i am i sometimes feel the need to "inspect" their hair...not to do any harm but because i like long hair and want theirs to grow i'll give them tips like cutting split ends etc etc. But one day my friend got me fired up! She's half italian and half brazilian and has type 3 hair thats very course and thick. It's also about bra strap length. I was looking at her hair one day when i noticed how broken off and damaged it was so i told her what to do to fix it. She told me I was a jealous B*&^^% and that she wasn't going to do all that stuff because my hair is short so i don't know ish. Then she doubled back and said only i can use things like carrot oil and olive oil because my hair is "white girl" hair. So we argued back and forth and then we dropped it.About four months later I was looking through her hair again and noticed that it wasn't damaged anymore. I asked her what she did.Come to find out she did everyhting i told her too. But of course she didn't give me credit for it. But anyway you can bring the horse to the water but you cant make them drink. You can tell them once or twice and if they choose to be ignorant thats their problem. But in the mean time you just make sure your hair stays healthy and long.
Sorry for the long post... people like them really make me angry!!!

adrienne0914

foxy, that kind of stuff gets on my nerves too! it will never end either... to this day, i have people with chewed up hair giving me advice and telling me why what i do won't work for them. i always thought once my hair got longer than other people's, i'd be slapping people in the face with it. i feel bad for them though because they refuse to change...

foxybronx

[ QUOTE ]
adrienne0914 said:
foxy, that kind of stuff gets on my nerves too! it will never end either... to this day, i have people with chewed up hair giving me advice and telling me why what i do won't work for them. i always thought once my hair got longer than other people's, i'd be slapping people in the face with it. i feel bad for them though because they refuse to change...

[/ QUOTE ]

What?? You gotta be kidding me! YOU have people trynna tell you what to do with your hair too? That is RIDICULOUS! I’m getting pissed for ya. Obviously you know what the heck you are doing or you wouldn’t have healthy, waist length hair. See that is EXACTLY what I am talking about…

Leigh

I know what you mean. I had a stylist tell me my hair should be relaxed bone straight and that there is no inbetween. She also said people with weaves should put anything on their scalp, like a light oil, and that the dirtier the hair the faster it grows. So if you really want that hair to grow you have to stop washing the hair. She also said I shouldn't let my hair dry naturally but should use heat or rollerset it so it would be bone straight and if I wanted to wear it curly I should grow or cut the relaxer out then do a braid out on the natural hair to have looser curls.

She also told me she had a jar of relaxer a client wanted to use but put the designer touch relaxer in the jar.

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
Leigh said:
I know what you mean. I had a stylist tell me my hair should be relaxed bone straight and that there is no inbetween. She also said people with weaves should put anything on their scalp, like a light oil, and that the dirtier the hair the faster it grows. So if you really want that hair to grow you have to stop washing the hair. She also said I shouldn't let my hair dry naturally but should use heat or rollerset it so it would be bone straight and if I wanted to wear it curly I should grow or cut the relaxer out then do a braid out on the natural hair to have looser curls.

She also told me she had a jar of relaxer a client wanted to use but put the designer touch relaxer in the jar.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF!!! See stuff like this burns me up. We need a LHCF salon!

kitchen_tician

Thanks Carlie. "Coarseness" is the word I meant to say. It was explained to me using the word "coarseness" not "staightness".

kitchen_tician

[ QUOTE ]
foxybronx said:
Kitchen, your one of my hair idols. Thanks for the compliment.

What you said kinda make sense, but then again I know a lot of 4a/b that gets ½” a month. Do you think that other hair types get more than ½ an inch or do you think that we (Type 4a/b) get less?…

If I see someone with hair that appears to be growing faster than mine. I look at their height, not necessarily their type.

For example, their was someone with type 3 hair that I know whom I thought hair grew WAY faster than mine. At first I thought it was our hairtype difference that made her hair growth faster, because her hair just shot down her back so fast! She was brastrap heading to waist in a short amount of time. But then I realized she was WAY shorter than me. So her brastrap would be my shoulder length because I am 5’7 and she is 5’. So I definitely think a lot of the time its height.

[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:
[ QUOTE ]
dreemssold said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the compliment Foxbronx.

To answer your question, well, I have a friend who is Type 2 (just like Ananda Lewis) and her hair grows waaaayyyy faster than mine does. She wears her hair in a super duper short style and gets it cut by a barber EVERY week. She also perms her hair from root to ends with Bantu relaxer every month. Sometimes 2x per month with NO visible DAMAGE. (my hair would be on the floor.
) She doesn't do any protein treatments, etc. She washes it everyday, but uses no heat.

She uses the relaxer so it will keep her sleek hair style. It curls up into flat curls on her head right after she washes it and she has to put "stuff" on it to keep it slick.

Since she wears it so short, I don't know exactly the inches she may achieve, but I know it grows much faster than mine. I get about 1/2 inch per month. Her hair has been almost waist length in the past and she is going to let it grow out again. It's only been about a month and she has way more growth than I could ever achieve with Surge, Vitamins, etc.

So IMO, I think there is some truth that MANY Type 1 & 2's achieve faster growth.

Leigh

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
[ QUOTE ]
Leigh said:

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF!!! See stuff like this burns me up. We need a LHCF salon!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that's right. She's relocating because she can't make a living in town.

BTW - I meant to say she says not to put oil on the scalp when the hair weaved.