HAIRBRAIDING DISASTER!!!!

Serei

I finally got my hair done yesterday and let me tell you! WHAT A DISASTER! I am not talking about my hair itself. My hair is okay. They didn't braid too tight or rip it out. I was in the braid salon for over twelve hours! I was waiting for two hours and change before I even sat in the chair, which is messed up because I actually made an appointment. Then it took about nine hours to braid my hair. The thing is, it shouldn't have taken that long. There were four braiders and they all brought their kids. There were two babies, two toddlers, a five year old, an eight year old and another kid who was about eleven to thirteen. They kept interrupting her! It was so annoying! She would braid maybe twenty braids then stop for fifteen minutes because she had to feed the baby. Then she would braid five more braids then she had to stop for ten minutes to scold the five year old. Then she braided ten braids and stopped for another ten minutes to change a toddler. It was so frustrating that I just wanted to leave! Then the patrons brought their kids. It was like a freakin' daycare in there! Screaming kids everywhere! This little girl, I don't even know whose kid she was, ripped my magazine. One of those little nasty kids put their mouth on my bottled water! One of the babies yanked on my hair while she was braiding it! I could've just kicked her! Not only that but I didn't even get the style I wanted. I couldn't get the wavy human hair braids because she said I didn't buy enough hair. I couldn't get the other style because that was the page that the little girl ripped out! I ended up getting regular shoulder length box braids. I am just so
! I was the last one in there and I came at ten in the morning.
NO ONE GOT A TIP FROM ME!!! That was by far the most awful braiding experience I have ever had.

Tebby1017

Did you tell them how unprofessional they were? Did they even apologize for what happened? Is this a shop or someone's house?

Tacky!!

Tebby

Nina_deF

THIS is EXACTLY why I do it myself!
Except when I got it done in Sweden not only is my scalp stretched to the limit with my eyeballs level to my ears, they are unable to communicate in Swedish or English which made it totally UNBEARABLE!!!!!

Serei

No Tebby it was an actual salon, and not even one of those jump in salons on 125th street where it's just a whole bunch of women in a room braiding. It is an actual braid salon. They apologized for making me wait when I had an appointment but by the time I left, after everything else, that was the least I was pissed about!

aqualung

I was so there! I got latch-hook (crocheted) braided extensions put in my cornrowed hair on and off from 1996-2003. Stylists charge too much and take too long to do it all in the salon. Plus, I had to travel too far into sketchy neighborhoods to get it done. One braider hiked up the price mid-session because she was getting tired and hadn't expected me to have such a large afro. Um, where's the nearest ATM? And did I mention how roughly they handled my hair? It was natural, so it was stronger and could weather the abuse, but OUCH!

After a few sad incidents, I resorted to the salon only to get the cornrows put in. Then I'd go home and latch in the braided (synthetic) hair extensions myself. It didn't save time, but it saved money and I had more control over the style.

What type of braids did you get, Serei? At least your hair will be happy and rested for a while.

Tebby1017

That is so pathetic. I hope you find a better salon, or even someone who can braid out of their home next time. No one should have to go through all of that just to get their hair braided.

I think I need to learn how to braid because I wouldn't even be having that in my spot.

Tebby

Tebby1017

I'm thinking the same thing. I have a really good braider, but you know what they say, you get what you pay for. She's sooo expensive, and right now I can't afford to pay $190 for braids. I will get the video and watch it with my cousin, and we'll braid my hair together.

I might even watch it with my other friend who braids hair. She wouldn't charge me much, but she braids tight. If I can show her exactly how I want it then I can still avoid paying so much for braids and get it looser.

Tebby

Serei

I am not even going to tell you how much I paid to get my hair done! After all of that, they could've at least knocked a few dollars off of the price!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Wow! Serei, what an experience! That is why I learned to do my own braids. They may not be as pretty but they serve the purpose. Good luck with the hair braiding video. That's the one I have and it is really simple to follow.

Serei

How long did it take to come in the mail DSD? I ordered it about ten minutes ago and I am trying to estimate what day it will arrive so I can arrange for someone to be at my house. How long does it usually take you to braid your hair?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Well it took about a week. Be sure to email her and ask about shipping details. This way you will get it in a decent amount of time. Do this about 3 days after you order it.

debyjay

Wow Serei, that was bad! Can you say ghetto???!!! I have an excellent braider in the Bronx, it takes me 4hrs total travel time but she is super fast and gentle with my hair, she talks on the phone but it does not affect the braiding so I don't mind -- besides her stories are so entertaining. She does charge $180 but I'm in her chair for 6 hrs emerging with small box braids. But now you guys have me interested in the video.

Serei

Where in the Bronx DJ? I used to go to some place on White Plains Road that was pretty good but I stopped going because it was always crowded. What salon did you go to?

debyjay

Hey Serei, I go to Oneika and Kay on White Plains Road. Oneika does my hair -- maybe it's the same place???

Kadeja

I used to go to Oneika and Kay, until she charged me $250 for human hair braids, $125 for hair and $125 to braid.

karezone

I need to learn how to do my own. I have the video I just never figured it out. Maybe I can spend this summer practicing on myself and my cousin.

Nonie

Serei, that's outrageous. I'm so sorry you had to go through that.

Good luck with the video. You won't believe how much fun doing your own hair is. I refuse to let even a qualified expert do my hair even for free. What, and miss out on the fun of doing it myself??? Nah uh!