Haircare according to Bloodtype?

nissi

This may be long, so indulge me if you care to read...

For maybe the past 10 or so years I have utilized the Eat Right for Your Type plan for improving my diet. It's the premise that certain foods are compatible with your blood type and some are not. I have Type B blood and adjusted my diet accordingly with excellent results.

So I have had some noticeable shedding lately. Now I did BKT a few months ago, but before I did, it's only in the last year or two I have been using coconut oil based on the benefits of how it is supposed to retain protein in the hair. Indians use coconut oil and we know what their hair is like...

But here's the catch -- according to the plan, coconut oil is not compatible with my blood. So now with the recent shedding, the premise follows, is it bad for my hair and scalp, and even skin (with the coconut-based castile soaps I use)? Maybe ingesting versus applying is the difference.

So what oil is supposed to be "Beneficial" for me? Olive oil. Also walnut, maybe macadamia. So I am going on an olive oil challenge with liquid olive oil soap for shampoo, and olive oil to see if my hair will bounce back. I like how it has been feeling already.

This is just a trial, because the shedding may not even be coconut based. It could be the BKT, or the fact that the body transitions every seven years, or the hard water, who knows. So we shall see. I will try to remember to report back in 3 mos.

No one has to join me in this of course, I just posted it for good reading. Believing for the best!

For more information, here's a link on the Blood Type diet. Eat Right For Your Type :: TypeBase 4 BTD Food Values

nissi

Charz, If you ever donated blood to the Red Cross, chk your Red Cross card. Or of course your doctor. Good to know in case of blood transfusion...

Last edited:

nissi

Which oils are beneficial for type O's?

Honey Bee, Most compatible with your type
Linseed (flaxseed), Olive

Use Moderately- 1 or 2 times @ week
Canola, Cod Liver, Sesame

Avoid Always -ALLERGIES- harmful
Corn, Peanut, Safflower

How the Diet Works
D'Adamo rejects the idea that one diet fits all. With four unique blood types, why shouldn't we have four specialized diet plans, he asks.

The right diet for your blood type comes down to lectins, food proteins each blood type digests differently, D'Adamo maintains.

If you eat foods containing lectins incompatible with your blood type, he says, you may experience inflammation, bloating, a slower metabolism, even diseases such as cancer. The best way to avoid these effects is to eat foods meant for your blood type.

All foods fall into three categories on the Eat Right for Your Type diet:

- Highly beneficial
- Neutral
- Avoid
Beneficial foods for your blood type act like medicine, neutral foods like food, while avoid foods "act like a poison," says D'Adamo.

For example, type Os should steer clear of whole wheat and wheat germ because "eating gluten is like putting the wrong kind of octane in your car ... it clogs the works," D'Adamo says.

This wasn't the whole thing, you would have to go to my original post link, scroll down to "Oils", check each one and scroll down to Type O... Also, ingestion versus application is my question mark...but my hair feels so much better since I have been using olive oil...

southerncitygirl

Which oils are beneficial for type O's?

i'm an o too, evco and evoo are great for us:yep:...steer clear of canola and peanut. i think the blood type is not fully all that its cracked up to be, but this is the hair section.....somethings in this diet make sense while others don't.

Aviah

I'm an O from what I remember and EVOO on my hair made it too heavy, greasy, and not really soft...

nissi

i'm an o too, evco and evoo are great for us:yep:...steer clear of canola and peanut. i think the blood type is not fully all that its cracked up to be, but this is the hair section.....somethings in this diet make sense while others don't.

I'm an O from what I remember and EVOO on my hair made it too heavy, greasy, and not really soft...

southerncitygirl, so true, i have questions about it (ingestion vs. application) so i am definitely in trial mode. i just want to nip this shedding in the bud, so it's worth a try. (btw, did i see you newly vegetarian as an o? wowww...)

Aviah, still, in the meantime loving the softness i am getting since i started, which i never experienced on the coconut oil. could be a moisture balance thing...we shall see...

Last edited:

Aviah

nissi Coconut oil is better on my hair. Still I need some water-based spray or moisturizer for my hair.

I don't buy it, hair is dead, blood type should be irrelevant. Internally however, may be another story...

But if it works for you, go with it.

Last edited:

dyh080

I've been following this diet, on and off, since the original book was published around 1996.

Many people think it is hokey but all I can say is I feel much better when I stick to it. I'm a type O and hadn't eaten beef for years, not even in 1996. Only recently I started eating grass fed beef and feel like a different person.

Since the original book, Dr. D'adamo has published updates and refined the diet into genotypes.

Check out the website...Eat Right For Your Type :: The Official Blood Type Diet Site for foods, supplements, etc for your type.

P.S. not sure how the oils affect hair, tho.

Blessed2bless

I'm a B also... I've used coconut in all my products and I shed very badly. This is interesting because something kept telling me to stop using coconut oil and use olive oil instead.

jwhitley6

Hi Nissi, I follow blood type/genotype diet as well (not strictly though...I'm also type B+). I'm not sure coconut oil on your hair and scalp is that big of a deal as long as you balance it with other beneficial/diamond foods. I personally use a coconut oil-based bhringraj oil occasionally as a pre-poo and mixed with MegaTek and I love it....no problems at all.

Now, I did NOT like the un-refined coconut oil in a jar. It made me break out and also made my hair wire-like. No bueno!

nissi

nissi Coconut oil is better on my hair. Still I need some water-based spray or moisturizer for my hair.

I don't buy it, hair is dead, blood type should be irrelevant. Internally however, may be another story...

But if it works for you, go with it.

Aviah, the "hair is dead" thing is a good premise, of course the oil doesn't only go on my hair but also my scalp. This is more a scalp issue for me anyway, because the shedding is what I was monitoring in the first place. And I will and have been applying whatever oil under consideration to my scalp...

But if the "dead hair" was produced from Type B blood, and still retains some Type B proteins/chromosomes/DNA, it may or may not make a difference. We shall see!

One thing that may favor against your argument is the difference in how the "dead" hair feels with coconut as opposed to olive. Like night and day.

nissi

Hi Nissi, I follow blood type/genotype diet as well (not strictly though...I'm also type B+). I'm not sure coconut oil on your hair and scalp is that big of a deal as long as you balance it with other beneficial/diamond foods. I personally use a coconut oil-based bhringraj oil occasionally as a pre-poo and mixed with MegaTek and I love it....no problems at all.

Now, I did NOT like the un-refined coconut oil in a jar. It made me break out and also made my hair wire-like. No bueno!

Hey jwhitley6, :wave:, another Type B in the house! I will probably go back to coconut oil after my experiment is over, because I like how it holds my rollersets in the winter. Loveya4eva uses coconut oil heavily (gorgeous hair) and of course we know coconut oil is the best oil that minimizes protein loss in the hair. but then it occurred to me that she just might be a different blood type. I still got good growth from it (I think), it's the shedding I had to start monitoring...so we shall see...

Aviah

Aviah, the "hair is dead" thing is a good premise, of course the oil doesn't only go on my hair but also my scalp. This is more a scalp issue for me anyway, because the shedding is what I was monitoring in the first place. And I will and have been applying whatever oil under consideration to my scalp...

But if the "dead hair" was produced from Type B blood, and still retains some Type B proteins/chromosomes/DNA, it may or may not make a difference. We shall see!

One thing that may favor against your argument is the difference in how the "dead" hair feels with coconut as opposed to olive. Like night and day.
nissi
I understand this, but doesn't coconut have a shorter molecule chain or something that allows it to penetrate into the shaft more easily? I think its more down to the structure of each person's hair, the combo of silky, frizzy, kinky, curly, cuticle layout, fine, coarse, etc... if the blood type effects something in the follicle during the formation of the hair then that would make a little more sense, still personally I think its reaching. Not that its not working for you. I could be wrong, but I'm skeptical. However like I said previously, if its working for you, regardless of how- go for it. You know as well as I one thing will work differently for two very similar people, and we may never know exactly why:spinning:

nissi

nissi
I understand this, but doesn't coconut have a shorter molecule chain or something that allows it to penetrate into the shaft more easily? I think its more down to the structure of each person's hair, the combo of silky, frizzy, kinky, curly, cuticle layout, fine, coarse, etc... if the blood type effects something in the follicle during the formation of the hair then that would make a little more sense, still personally I think its reaching. Not that its not working for you. I could be wrong, but I'm skeptical. However like I said previously, if its working for you, regardless of how- go for it. You know as well as I one thing will work differently for two very similar people, and we may never know exactly why:spinning:

Truly, haircare can be an individual subjective journey for real! That's why I tried the coconut oil in the first place, because of all the benefits ... but the shedding became the issue, not breakage. The hair seemed strong, but a little brittle and just not balanced out...we shall see... enjoying my olive oil rinses...

NaturalRed

I'm type A and I've been eating for my blood type on and off for a few years now. It's hard though, because no matter which type you are you'll find that the diet is very restrictive. For instance, I've grown up eating meat and dairy, and according to the diet, I should avoid them. If I have to do meat, then eat only wild fish and organic poultry. Even though it's hard, I must say that when I do eat on the diet, I feel better. I also heard that eating for your blood type is good for preventing or healing certain auto-immune diseases like Alopecia. Auto-immune means that your immune system is attacking portions of the body. If certain foods are considered poisonous to your body, then it makes sense that if you eat foods that aren't for you, then it's going to cause problems. Of course most people can eat anything in moderation, but who does that?

But to the OP, coconut oil isn't supposed to be good for me either, but I've never had a problem with it. Olive oil however, does way better on my hair then anything, castor oil a close second.