Haircare products owned by a black person>?

Would you buy from a BSS haircare products owned by a black person?

• Yes, I would buy.

Votes: 156 96.9%
  • No, I wouldn't buy.

Votes: 5 3.1%

• Total voters

brandy

:yep:If you went to the BSS would you buy hair care products if you knew it was owned by a black person?
Just curious to know. Happy New Year Everyone!

Last edited:

Moroni

I can't imagine what difference the race of the owner would make....my concern would be what's in the product, and whether it would work for my hair....and, of course, whether the ladies on this forum said it worked for them!!! :grin:

HoneyDew

I can't imagine what difference the race of the owner would make....my concern would be what's in the product, and whether it would work for my hair....and, of course, whether the ladies on this forum said it worked for them!!! :grin:

Exactly.
:look:

poetist

To me the ingredients are most important. If I were debating between 2 products that seemed to have similar ingredients and had similar reviews, but one happened to be a black owned company and one wasn't...my choice would be easy:yep: In 2008 I'm making a vow to patronize more (good) black owned businesses

brandy

Let me re-phrase the question.
If you went to a BSS and saw a new product with good ingredients in it and it was black owned would you buy it even if it was a little bit more expensive than other similar products?

crumbling_images

I don't mind paying a little extra to support any good black/woman owned hair/skin care company.

If you went to a BSS and saw a new product with good ingredients in it and it was black owned would you buy it even if it was a little bit more expensive than other similar products?

aloof one

after that ellin lavar crap I don't know. That textures crap I got from CVS was trash. She's black, but she clearly knows nothing about black hair, especially with all those weave jobs she does. Its hard to believe she calls herself an expert on real hair and her products just

I'd check on here first, ask around with some friends and sleep on it first. sat on mine. But that is what I do with ANY products I dont know about.

ETA: I do know one thing though, I refuse to go to anymore Asian owned BSS ever again. They are rude, they sometimes mix up products to stretch them, and they are taking money from black people. am fine getting my stuff at Walmart, the lesser evil. At least they have equal opportunity exploitation:perplexed

Last edited:

caribeandiva

Human being
after that ellin lavar crap I don't know. That textures crap I got from CVS was trash. She's black, but she clearly knows nothing about black hair, especially with all those weave jobs she does. Its hard to believe she calls herself an expert on real hair and her products just

I'd check on here first, ask around with some friends and sleep on it first. sat on mine. But that is what I do with ANY products I dont know about.

ETA: I do know one thing though, I refuse to go to anymore Asian owned BSS ever again. They are rude, they sometimes mix up products to stretch them, and they are taking money from black people. am fine getting my stuff at Walmart, the lesser evil. At least they have equal opportunity exploitation:perplexed

:lachen:that's funny! you need to watch this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=p96aaTSdrAE

Kawaii1

In a heart beat! :yep: I have only had the luxury of buying from a black owned BSS once and it was great. I only listen to tips about my hair from people with similar hair. So I would never have tried half the stuff I use now if it weren't for you ladies. My hair is so much nicer now so, I'm black all the way. As long as it's not crazy expensize.

SUZIEq

Yes, I would!!! Everybody wins in this situation- I get a good product and a black owned business gets my money and patronage.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

bravenewgirl87

I've found that some the best hair products come from black people (or so I think). Qhemet, Jane Carter, Long Lovely Locks, Phytospecific, Ultra Black Hair, Miss Jessie's, Oyin, etc. So yes. I would spluge to help black folks out, because who knows our hair better than us.

Also, many white companies use black consultants for their ethnic products, so thats another reason to buy black.

NClady

I would buy products that are black owned as long as their products are at a reasonable price. I have gone to several black business where there products were at a reasonable price and I have gone to some where there prices were $3-$5 higher than the competitors for the same product:nono:. I know that everyone has to make a profit, but don’t say my prices are higher because of this or that reason. Maybe it's time to get a new vendor for the products.:yep:

Healthb4Length

That's why I'm half broke sometimes. I'd rather spend more money on a quality "Black" hair products than "other." I feel good supporting "Black" produced items and I also think that these products are much better for my hair.

napgurl

I would buy products that are black owned as long as their products are at a reasonable price. I have gone to several black business where there products were at a reasonable price and I have gone to some where there prices were $3-$5 higher than the competitors for the same product:nono:. I know that everyone has to make a profit, but don’t say my prices are higher because of this or that reason. Maybe it's time to get a new vendor for the products.:yep:

ITA. No I would not pay extra just because the person is black. However I would give them first consideration. I want a good product at a competitive price. In other words I want value. And black owners should base their price margin on value rather than on “skin color" or "black hair" marketing. Customers are now more educated about haircare. Customers are reading labels for ingredients, are more aware of international products such as Indian haircare products and yes "we" the customer are even pulling out our rulers measuring our strands for results.

Last edited:

Fine 4s

Howd do you know or find out about this?
As far as taking money from black people, well why do we keep giving it?
To answer the main question though, I wouldn't support a business purely because the owner is black.

aloof one

Howd do you know or find out about this?
As far as taking money from black people, well why do we keep giving it?
To answer the main question though, I wouldn't support a business purely because the owner is black.

How do I know they stretch products? Ever bought something from a legit store and it was great, then turned around and got it at a BSS and it didn't work anymore? They have a back room in several BSS for a reason, because instead of buying more expensive products a lot of them have been caught just diluting them to stretch them. I have had a bad relaxer tub from one, conditioner that was stretched too--- you have to ask yourself why your favorite conditioner is suddenly a paler version of the color it usually is, or halfway full, or smells different, or just doesn't work sometimes. This is part of the reason why they tell you you cannot open the jars in the store (aside from not wanting you to put your fingers in it)! This doesn't happen to everyone, but it does happen, and Asians don't give a flying f^ck about us when they open these stores, so I doubt the ones who do this feel guilty.

Hey dont get it twisted, I dont keep giving any money to any BSS... I don't go to anymore after being treated bad as a matter of fact. The only ones I know of were owned by Asians. There is no point me wasting my time and money going to these places (black white brown or asian) to get had when I can get quality products at Walmart, HEB, or a Health Food Store where they have too much going on to try to exploit specific groups of people.

And I never said I would support a business just because it is black. If that were the case I would be walking into salons letting them tear my hair out just because theyre black. And if that were the case I wouldn't be obsessed with Garnier Fructis and CHI and all the other non-black owned products I use. However if the product is good and black owned, I would use it. (S-Curl, for example.)

Tamrin

unapologetic
How do I know they stretch products? Ever bought something from a legit store and it was great, then turned around and got it at a BSS and it didn't work anymore? They have a back room in several BSS for a reason, because instead of buying more expensive products a lot of them have been caught just diluting them to stretch them. I have had a bad relaxer tub from one, conditioner that was stretched too--- you have to ask yourself why your favorite conditioner is suddenly a paler version of the color it usually is, or halfway full, or smells different, or just doesn't work sometimes. This is part of the reason why they tell you you cannot open the jars in the store (aside from not wanting you to put your fingers in it)! This doesn't happen to everyone, but it does happen, and Asians don't give a flying f^ck about us when they open these stores, so I doubt the ones who do this feel guilty.

Hey dont get it twisted, I dont keep giving any money to any BSS... I don't go to anymore after being treated bad as a matter of fact. The only ones I know of were owned by Asians. There is no point me wasting my time and money going to these places (black white brown or asian) to get had when I can get quality products at Walmart, HEB, or a Health Food Store where they have too much going on to try to exploit specific groups of people.

And I never said I would support a business just because it is black. If that were the case I would be walking into salons letting them tear my hair out just because theyre black. And if that were the case I wouldn't be obsessed with Garnier Fructis and CHI and all the other non-black owned products I use. However if the product is good and black owned, I would use it. (S-Curl, for example.)

I agree about the products, I got containers of ORS carrot oil that were not right before. They were runny and weird oily looking, no the usual creamy texture. I believe they do mix. I would not support a business just because they are black. I made that mistake before and they took my money and I never got the item I paid for. If the product has great ingredients and is proven to work well then hell yeah.

tbaby_8

I do not base me purchasing a product on race. However, that being said, if they happen to be black and have a good product at a decent price, then YES I will go and spend my money with them. In my area, we do not have alot of black owned BSS so I do sometimes have to shop with other BSS. I mostly shop at Sally's beauty supply. I do not buy professional products from my Asian BSS because they aren't suppose to have them anyway, for example Mizani, Biolage, Paul Mitchell, and Redkin. Any product like that that is sold in a professional salon is not to be sold in a BSS.

sonce

I would be even more likely to buy precisely because it was black-owned. As a general rule, I do not frequent BSS's because I refuse to put my money in Asian pockets if I can help it, but if I found a black-owned one, I would go to it to support my own. I'm not colorblind nor do I aspire to be.

Last edited:

Peaches75

I use Cathy Howse conditioner & she is black. I feel as long as you put out a good product the race of the maker is not important just the product :yep:.

NYLegalNewbie

I agree with other posters that what matters most to me is the quality of the product.

If it's a great product (i.e. Jane Carter Solution cream hairdressing, for instance), then I am happy to buy it :grin:

But if it's crap, then I don't care that it's made by a Black person, I'm not buying it.

envybeauty

I once went to a black spot to get some Jamaican food. Only black people all up in there and behind the counters. I think nothing of it.

Shocked as can be when while waiting for my food, I see John Wong come out from nowhere talking to the girls behind the counter about who is working when. He was even speaking patois! :blush:

How do we really knwo who owns what? I have been to several BSS where there are sistas working the floor. I know it is not Black owned only because there is still an Asian person behind the register. What if they did put a black person behind the register? Who am I to tell the difference (having not been there before)?

Same goes for product selection. A black face on a bottle means nothing. How do you find out if the person who made the product is Black? Assuming this is not about selling it from your trunk or your kitchen.

Furthermore, support a Black owned company to what end? Many black owned business owners struck it big and then sold their companies to the very people you are avoiding. Thinking of BET and SoftSheen.

Last edited:

bravenewgirl87

I once went to a black spot to get some Jamaican food. Only black people all up in there and behind the counters. I think nothing of it.

Shocked as can be when while waiting for my food, I see John Wong come out from nowhere talking to the girls behind the counter about who is working when. He was even speaking patois! :blush:

Jamaica is full of chinese. They call them chiney-mon. We have a lot of them where I'm from, too. Caribbean culture is highly influenced by the asian immigrants. In fact, our dishes are our bajan takes using traditional asian ingredients or techniques. John Wong... hahahahaha:lachen::lachen::lachen:

HoneyCurlz

I've found that some the best hair products come from black people (or so I think). Qhemet, Jane Carter, Long Lovely Locks, Phytospecific, Ultra Black Hair, Miss Jessie's, Oyin, etc. So yes. I would spluge to help black folks out, because who knows our hair better than us.

Also, many white companies use black consultants for their ethnic products, so thats another reason to buy black.

I agree! My hair used to be so damaged until I nursed it back to health using Black handmade products.

MsCounsel

Jamaica is full of chinese. They call them chiney-mon. We have a lot of them where I'm from, too. Caribbean culture is highly influenced by the asian immigrants. In fact, our dishes are our bajan takes using traditional asian ingredients or techniques. John Wong... hahahahaha:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Thanks for mentioning this. :grin: