Haiti President Jovenel Moise assassinated in attack on his residence

Leeda.the.Paladin

CNN)Haiti's President Jovenel Moise was killed during an attack on his private residence early on Wednesday, according to the country's acting Prime Minister Claude Joseph.
Joseph said in a statement that a group of unidentified individuals attacked Moise's home at around 1 a.m. and fatally wounded the head of state. The statement does not specify how the President was killed. Haiti's first lady was shot and is receiving treatment, he added.

The Prime Minister called the assassination a "heinous, inhumane and barbaric act" and called for calm.
Thousands seek refuge from wave of violence in Haiti's capital city

Thousands seek refuge from wave of violence in Haiti's capital city

"The security situation in the country is under the control of the Haitian National Police and the Haitian Armed Forces," the statement added. "All measures are being taken to guarantee the continuity of the State and to protect the Nation."

Moise was 53 years old. The former banana exporter spent most of the past year waging a political war with the opposition over the terms of his presidency.
Moise claimed his five-year term should end in 2022 -- a stance backed by the United States, United Nations and Organization of American States.

The opposition has argued he should have stepped down on February 7 this year, citing a constitutional provision that starts the clock on the term once a president is elected, rather than when he takes office.

caribeandiva

Human being
RIP President Jovenel Moises. My heart is broken. I’m still in shock tbh. No one deserved to die like that. Today i’m embarrased to say I’m Haitian. Look what we did to our leader.

caribeandiva

Human being
Was he a bad leader? I’m confused.
I think he was a good leader but he was surrounded by snakes. So he fired them all or got them to resign including the parliament and the senate. He basically ended up all alone because I’m guessing he couldn’t trust anyone. He was trying to put an end to the corruption. They kept trying to get him to leave. He wouldn’t. Made a lot of enemies in the process. They’ve made several attempts on his life already. They finally succeeded yesterday.

yamilee21

It’s not as if Jovenel Moïse ever really had a chance - even *before* he was sworn in, there were demonstrations against him. 80% of the Haitian electorate boycotted the elections at the end of 2016, and then were upset that he won. The demonstrations against him started from before he became president and never let up practically until the day he was assassinated. He should have organized the parliamentary elections, true, but many of the potential candidates were saying that they would refuse to participate. So he ended up ruling by decree - which is exactly what Preval, the president from 2005-2010, had done when he also neglected to organize parliamentary elections during his term. Like all Haitian politicians, he made many stupid mistakes, the power probably went to his head, and he made many enemies, among the political opposition, among the monopolistic oligarchs, and even among his own former supporters. Nonetheless, this is absolutely disgraceful, yet another shameful stain on us Haitians.

yamilee21

If the assassination of the Haitian president were a telenovela, the writers complete ruined the story by introducing the random Miami-based doctor as the current primary suspect. :nono: Everyone being interviewed about the situation has the same reaction, ‘Who is this guy? No one has ever heard of him!’ There are so many more logical angles to investigate for potential suspects, both at the national and international levels, but okay… random unknown, unconnected doctor mastermind it is… for now, anyway.

vevster

I think he was a good leader but he was surrounded by snakes. So he fired them all or got them to resign including the parliament and the senate. He basically ended up all alone because I’m guessing he couldn’t trust anyone. He was trying to put an end to the corruption. They kept trying to get him to leave. He wouldn’t. Made a lot of enemies in the process. They’ve made several attempts on his life already. They finally succeeded yesterday.
He was into a lot of shenanigans. Including trying to change the constitution.

vevster

I’m leery of this source. It’s based out of Russia and has been called a propaganda outlet. The info may be accurate but it’s no secret Russia will always present the US is a negative light so it’s hard to trust this reporting.
I’m Haitian and they are confirming what I’ve already heard. But I will be critical of their reporting going forward.

Rastafarai

The wife is now being accused of being an accomplice to the late President Moise' murder:

210802135625-01-haiti-first-lady-martine-moise-intv.jpg

A Haitian judge has indicted 51 people for their roles in the 2021 assassination of President Jovenel Moïse, including his wife, Martine Moïse, who is accused of being an accomplice, despite being seriously wounded in the attack.

A 122-page copy of the indictment by Judge Walther Voltaire that was provided to The New York Times does not accuse her of planning the killing nor does it offer any direct evidence of her involvement.

Instead, it says that she and other accomplices gave statements that were contradicted by other witnesses, suggesting that they were complicit in the killing. The indictment also cites one of the main defendants in the case in custody in Haiti, who claimed that Mrs. Moïse was plotting with others to take over the presidency.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/19/world/americas/haiti-assassinated-president-wife-accused.html

yamilee21

^^^ She’s been a suspect all along; many people, including Moise’s oldest son from a previous relationship, as well as some of the arrested Colombians, hinted as much from the time of the funeral. The judge cited, among other things, that she claimed to hide under a bed, but when the bed was examined, it was so low to the ground that even a rat couldn’t fit under it. Then there are her injuries, for which there have never been any logical explanation.

vevster

I don’t think she is that ambitious. I think she was told he was going and she had the choice to get on board or die with him.

That’s my working theory anyway.