Haitian hair advice

missvi

God is Good!!
All Caribbean people eat the same. We may just cook differently or call it by a different name
We eat lots for beans
red beans, pigeon peas...........
and we cook it with white rice.
I love pea soup with pig tail (lots of beans)
pork
beef
chicken
fresh fish (we get it the same day it comes out the ocean) yellow tail, red snapper, old wife............
ground foods
sweet potatoes, yams ..................
We eat lots of fruits and vegetables.
We are healthy people:D

Lovelylocs

No offense to anyone, but I'm not buying it. Any healthy diet will do. You don't have to consume lots of rice and beans. I don't believe that all hatians have nice hair. When I lived in Sto domingo, there were tons of Haitians and I don't remember being impressed with any of their hair. I believe that Haitians who have nice hair have it because they know how to take care of their hair type. Just my 2 cents...

DragonPearl

Lucia said:
L'huile masqueti/masketi is not the same as castor oil, it's from the palm nut the full name is l'huile palme masqueti.
Lucia, are you sure? L'huile palme masqueti/masketi is a creolization of l'huile de Palma Christi, which IS Castor oil.

http://www.healthtouch.com/bin/EContent_HT/altCareMedShowLfts.asp?fname=00398&title=Oil+of+Palma+Christi%2C+See+%7CCASTOR+OIL+%7C+&cid=HTALT
CASTOR OIL

What is it? Castor Oil is an herbal medicine used to treat constipation (hard time passing a bowel movement) and to cause vomiting (throwing up).

Other names for Castor Oil include: Oil of Palma Christi, Ricinus Oil, and Castor Bean Oil.

and in French:
http://www.huile.com/p.ficheKarapate.fr.php
Botanique

Huile de Ricin (Ricinus Communis) : Autres noms : Huile de castorHuile de palma-christi, Huile de carapal ou carapate.

Last edited:

cocoberry10

CarLiTa said:
l'huile mascriti is palm nut oil, unrefined

there's this other oil that we call l'huile mascriti also... but that's black castor oil. and it really stinks...

I dont even know the names of the beans in English :look: actually i hardly know any name of veggies in english and i've been living here for 5 years. Lemme go to google translator to find the names...

anyway, lots of green legumes. We do this thing called "Legumes" and it's different types of leafy vegetables, with meat, with olive oil, carrots, etc. It ends up looking like a thick stew of meat and veggies.

we also cook this meal called "bouillon" and it's almost the same but the meat is beef, and its like a soup with a lot of things in it, lol. Tastes great. what's in it? beef, leafy veggies, this thing called "boy" (it actually is flour and seasoning, rolled up into 3" long rolls) and that's in there too and other kinds of vegetables that grow under the soil... wow my english is poor, i cant even remember the names in French either to translate them.

For rice, either white rice and bean sauce. Sorry, dont' know the names of the beans either. We just either call them: red beans, white beans, black beans, and "pois France" for the green beans :look: etc. We also have "du ris jonjon" which is Mushroom rice, they put the mushroom in water and use that black water that comes from it to make the rice...

I think everyone in the Caribbean cooks the same types of food. My Hispanic friends eat rice and beans almost everyday too, but we have more meat in our diet and probably more veggies as well. We also eat a lot of fish. Not the nasty tasting fish they sell at the grocery stores, but the ones that u take the scales off yourself and cook it.

i dont know if i've been much help b/c i dont know the English names, but perhaps some other Haitian lady can enlighten u some more...

Do the rice and beans make you fat? I eat healthy, and I eat a lot of fish, but I don't eat too many carbs. Let me know. Thanks!

Lucia

Jessy55 said:
Lucia, are you sure? L'huile palme masqueti/masketi is a creolization of l'huile de Palma Christi, which IS Castor oil.

http://www.healthtouch.com/bin/EContent_HT/altCareMedShowLfts.asp?fname=00398&title=Oil+of+Palma+Christi%2C+See+%7CCASTOR+OIL+%7C+&cid=HTALT
CASTOR OIL

What is it? Castor Oil is an herbal medicine used to treat constipation (hard time passing a bowel movement) and to cause vomiting (throwing up).

Other names for Castor Oil include: Oil of Palma Christi, Ricinus Oil, and Castor Bean Oil.

and in French:

http://www.huile.com/p.ficheKarapate.fr.php
Botanique

Huile de Ricin (Ricinus Communis) : Autres noms : Huile de castorHuile de palma-christi, Huile de carapal ou carapate.

I know for sure because I've checked out l'huile de rincin )thinner, no smell) and it didn't have the texture thickness or smell of l'huile masqueti.

Last edited:

katie

Lovelylocs said:
No offense to anyone, but I'm not buying it. Any healthy diet will do. You don't have to consume lots of rice and beans. I don't believe that all hatians have nice hair. When I lived in Sto domingo, there were tons of Haitians and I don't remember being impressed with any of their hair. I believe that Haitians who have nice hair have it because they know how to take care of their hair type. Just my 2 cents...

I agree.
I've never met any Haitians but I know not all Caribbean people have healthy hair. Just like there are Americans with healthy hair and those with unhealthy hair, depends on how the individual can care for their hair.

rai

katie said:
I agree.
I've never met any Haitians but I know not all Caribbean people have healthy hair. Just like there are Americans with healthy hair and those with unhealthy hair, depends on how the individual can care for their hair.

I do agree with this. I just wanted to talk about food! :lachen:

toinette

Tricking the president
TJD3 said:
Ya'll are nutty! Pwa france, and those white beans are the bomb! I love me some sauce pwa.

i love me some sauce pwa, but i dont like sauce pwa france. throw that joint in some rice to make some du riz kole avec pwa, then it's on :lol:

Guapa1

cocoberry10 said:
Do the rice and beans make you fat? I eat healthy, and I eat a lot of fish, but I don't eat too many carbs. Let me know. Thanks!

There's a diet called the GI diet, google it. It promotes eating legumes, as they release energy slowly, keeping you full longer and if you watch your portions you will lose weight.

www.Jamaicans.com have recipes including rice and beans.

I have to say, I was bought up on this food, and my hair has never been long, I think you need to know how to take care of your hair too.

SweetNic_JA

Guapa1 said:
There's a diet called the GI diet, google it. It promotes eating legumes, as they release energy slowly, keeping you full longer and if you watch your portions you will lose weight.

www.Jamaicans.com have recipes including rice and beans.

I have to say, I was bought up on this food, and my hair has never been long, I think you need to know how to take care of your hair too.

Same here, I was brought up on this stuff and I still eat this way EVERY DAY. My hair is not flowing down my back. I believe hair is 70% genetics and 30% personal care.

Candygirl

Candygirl
On a nutritional note white rice has no nutritional value to it so you ladies might lwant to try basmati rice or brown basmati rice instead of white. This is the rice I use when cooking beans and rice.

ekomba

i would be too i looooove food i m go check out those www.islandflave.com recipes and learn how to make a correct beans and rice with coconut milk i m hungry :D

Lucia

Yellow or brown rice in a reasonable portion size with beans will not make you fat. If you eat a mountain of it of course it will

CarLiTa

my dad eats mountains of rice, probably why he has a belly hehe

yeah it's not all about diet. There are Haitians who don't know how to take care of their hair or others who just don't have the time to think about something like that when they are facing much bigger problems, but having a healthy hair regime in Haiti is just convenient. Where u gonna find the electricity to use your blowdrier? :lol: u willing to go pay over $100 at a salon when u DEFINITELY will know someone who does hair? u gonna buy expensive hair products when u got the ingredients growing right in your yard? ha, yeah right...

we had aloe, avocado, banana, and lots of other plants in our huge backyard. Every Saturday or Sunday, we'd wash our hair with either homemade soap *didn't smell too good* or regular store-bought shampoo. The women in my family did many pre-poo treatments with castor oil, avocado, aloe, etc, and then we'd put rollers on, and just keep them on for the whole day, sometimes sleep with the rollers on if they hair wasn't completely dry. We relaxed every 6 weeks, TERRIBLE, i know, but hair was very healthy and strong, and was very long... the minute i came in contact with all the heat, hair broke miserably :(

DragonPearl

CarLiTa said:
The women in my family did many pre-poo treatments with castor oil, avocado, aloe, etc,
Yes, I remember, many of my girlfriends would regularly do pre-poo treatments as you said with castor oil, or some other heavy oil, avocado, and don't forget EGGS, and moelle de boeuf (Beef marrow) !! I never did though. I was a tomboy and besides, I thought all these products were too gross to use on hair. That's probably why I hardly had any hair back then. :lol:

CurleeDST

For you ladies interested in hair products by a haitian her name is Fayola and she is located down in Miami, FL. Her product line is called Ebene Naturals and it is located at www.ebenenaturals.com.

I have used her products in the past about 4 years ago and they were excellent! I realized very healthy hair growth when I wore single-strand twists and the lady who did my hair was very impressed with its condition. They smell herby but she swears by it.

I still use her all virgin shea butter for my skin in the winter months. She created it to help alleviate her son's eczema and it works! My husband has very ashy feet in the winter time and he has tried everything. Only her shea butter helped to keep his feet ashy-free in the winter time.

So now, every year he bugs me about ordering more of her products! She has some new products out as well. She is nice, courteous, prompt and her products are quality.

Check it out!

morehairplease

CurleeDST said:
For you ladies interested in hair products by a haitian her name is Fayola and she is located down in Miami, FL. Her product line is called Ebene Naturals and it is located at www.ebenenaturals.com.

I have used her products in the past about 4 years ago and they were excellent! I realized very healthy hair growth when I wore single-strand twists and the lady who did my hair was very impressed with its condition. They smell herby but she swears by it.

I still use her all virgin shea butter for my skin in the winter months. She created it to help alleviate her son's eczema and it works! My husband has very ashy feet in the winter time and he has tried everything. Only her shea butter helped to keep his feet ashy-free in the winter time.

So now, every year he bugs me about ordering more of her products! She has some new products out as well. She is nice, courteous, prompt and her products are quality.

Check it out!

Thanks for the link CurleeDST! Off to check out the link(as if I need to spend any more money before the holidays ;) ;) ).

DragonPearl

Lucia said:
I know for sure because I've checked out l'huile de rincin )thinner, no smell) and it didn't have the texture thickness or smell of l'huile masqueti.

We'll have to agree to disagree. All the research I have done in my various books on herbs and on the internet show that castor oil and huile de palma christi (aka huile masqueti in creole) and huile de ricin are basically the same. They come from the same plant and nut, the castor bean. The genus name for the castor bean is "ricinus" which is where the name huile de ricin is from.

As I understand it, huile de ricin is just a more refined version of huile de palma christi aka huile masqueti in creole.

Naijaqueen

Jessy55 said:
We'll have to agree to disagree. All the research I have done in my various books on herbs and on the internet show that castor oil and huile de palma christi (aka huile masqueti in creole) and huile de ricin are basically the same. They come from the same plant and nut, the castor bean. The genus name for the castor bean is "ricinus" which is where the name huile de ricin is from.

As I understand it, huile de ricin is just a more refined version of huile de palma christi aka huile masqueti in creole.

but palm kernel nut isnt the castor bean plant. Then again I'm confused, my mom was smelling my jamaican blk castor oil and said it reminds her of that crappy smelly palm kernel stuff her grandmother used to use in Nigeria, that she hated.
My l'huile mascreti and moelle boeuf comes in today, UPS tracking has it arriving any min, I'm excited!!!!!! :D
I plan on clarifying with lemon, using keraphix/conditioner, deep conditioning with Sedal and a mix of the products.

DragonPearl

Naijaqueen said:
but palm kernel nut isnt the castor bean plant. Then again I'm confused, my mom was smelling my jamaican blk castor oil and said it reminds her of that crappy smelly palm kernel stuff her grandmother used to use in Nigeria, that she hated.

Palm Kernel nut is not the nut/bean used for oil of palma christi aka huile masketi (in creole). I don't know about the Jamaican black castor oil, but I don't think it's made from palm kernel nut either, though it might smell like it. Here is a site that sells Jamaican Castor oil at $7 for 4 oz and they say it's the oil of palma christi too. http://www.blackherbals.com/castor_oil.htm

Last edited:

Naijaqueen

Jessy55 said:
Palm Kernel nut is not the nut/bean used for oil of palma christi aka huile masketi (in creole). I don't know about the Jamaican black castor oil, but I don't think it's made from palm kernel nut either, though it might smell like it. Here is a site that sells Jamaican Castor oil at $7 for 4 oz and they say it's the oil of palma christi too. http://www.blackherbals.com/castor_oil.htm

I know I think we all got confused. I'll be curious to know as I've black castor oil which I use and my l'huile mascreti comes in today

ekomba

Naijaqueen said:
my "l'huile de mascreti" came today but this one says l'huile de karapat on it, I know karapat is same thing as ricin, and the pic of a karapat plant is http://www.codina.net/huile_ricin_vierge.shtml
Its definitely not as thick and heavy like my jamaican blk castor oil.

I also got my moelle de boeuf

no huile de carapate smells the same but they use masketi or castor oil in the huile de carapate thats why it has that smell my friend in martinique (french islands) use it all the time i was also confused as the haitian lady that made my masketi when i ask her if she sells castor oil she gave me a botle writen on it lwuil masketi something like this and i know for a fact that the white clear castor oil that they sell in the stores for constipation or even huile de ricin are refined, they are not the product and masketi is a base of castor oil that they added mad stuff in it while cooking it depends on houses but in haiti anybody make it at home and add plenty of stuffs in it. the lady who sold me had made hers and one of my best friends that is haitian her grandmother makes it and she said it was castor oil so now i m really confused i m just gonna call it masketi causes i m not good with all these kinda nuts or trees anyway hahhahahah just sell it to me if it can grow hair hey i take it palm kernet oil, karapat castor i take all :lachen:

Last edited:

Naijaqueen

ekomba said:
no huile de carapate smells the same but they use masketi or castor oil in the huile de carapate thats why it has that smell my friend in martinique (french islands) use it all the time i was also confused as the haitian lady that made my masketi when i ask her if she sells castor oil she gave me a botle writen on it lwuil masketi something like this and i know for a fact that the white clear castor oil that they sell in the stores for constipation or even huile de ricin are refined, they are not the product and masketi is a base of castor oil that they added mad stuff in it while cooking it depends on houses but in haiti anybody make it at home and add plenty of stuffs in it. the lady who sold me had made hers and one of my best friends that is haitian her grandmother makes it and she said it was castor oil so now i m really confused i m just gonna call it masketi causes i m not good with all these kinda nuts or trees anyway hahhahahah just sell it to me if it can grow hair hey i take it palm kernet oil, karapat castor i take all :lachen:

I think palm kernel oil was added to the jamaican blk castor oil sold by sams247, my mom smelled it again and even my other aunt confirmed it, there's added palm kernel oil