Haitian hair advice

ekomba

Naijaqueen said:
I think palm kernel oil was added to the jamaican blk castor oil sold by sams247, my mom smelled it again and even my other aunt confirmed it, there's added palm kernel oil

ah ok cool but then i dont understand what is the difference between palm kernel oil and the brown castor oil because my masketi dont say huile de carapate but she call it castor oil and its heavy brown smells nutty i m so confused i dont know what palm kernel oil is , castor oil and what jamaican black castor oil maybe i d have to order the jamaican black castor oil to see if it looks like my masketi but my friend who used huile de carapat says that is masketi too so now i m really really confused and dont know what is what but the lady who made the masketi says its castor oil so i m just gonna stick with the product that that lady sells me cause it works for me but i m curious to try yours so u say the masketi u received is not the same as the jamaican black castor do they smell the same maybe i think they just have stuff in common added like that palm kernel oil u talking about but i know carapate some are made with masketi/castor oil that s why they smell the same nutty flavor

Mahalialee4

Well. I have both the L'huile Mascreti and the Jamaican Black Castor Oil from Sam's The LM that I got from a lady in Ohio who is Haitian and brings hers from Haiti, says that this LM is Palm Kernel oil and it is more redtoned dark in color than the black castor oil, but it does not have any castor oil smell, but it has the same thickness and consistency without the sticky feel of castor oil. I am so confused...but I am like Ekomba, as long as it does what I bought it for, it is all good. Now if someone can come up with a better, more raw, palm kernel or black castor oil. You can call me pm anytime. smileBonjour

Naijaqueen

Mahalialee4 said:
Well. I have both the L'huile Mascreti and the Jamaican Black Castor Oil from Sam's The LM that I got from a lady in Ohio who is Haitian and brings hers from Haiti, says that this LM is Palm Kernel oil and it is more redtoned dark in color than the black castor oil, but it does not have any castor oil smell, but it has the same thickness and consistency without the sticky feel of castor oil. I am so confused...but I am like Ekomba, as long as it does what I bought it for, it is all good. Now if someone can come up with a better, more raw, palm kernel or black castor oil. You can call me pm anytime. smileBonjour

Yup I've the same exact thing, my l'huile de macreti aka l'huile de karapat is thick and reddish dark, but no smell. I'm going to have relatives bring back raw palm kernel oil when they go to Nigeria in Dec. At least that one I'll know for sure.

ekomba

Mahalialee4, naijaqueen is your maskety smells nutty mine does u said yours does not smell and mind look thick in consistency and brownish there s no ingredient list on the bottle she used an haitian rum bottle and just on the paper wrote lhwuil masketi i think but it smells like nuts

Naijaqueen

ekomba said:
Mahalialee4, naijaqueen is your maskety smells nutty mine does u said yours does not smell and mind look thick in consistency and brownish there s no ingredient list on the bottle she used an haitian rum bottle and just on the paper wrote lhwuil masketi i think but it smells like nuts

mine is like Mahalia, it doesnt smell. The nutty smell is palm nut kernel oil added i believe

Mahalialee4

Re: the smell. It smells if anything, smoky but not the kind of smell that Jamaican Black Castor oil has. I cannot pick up the scent of castor oil but you know I think the smell of it would depend a lot on what the cooks have added to it because I have heard that different people have different recipes for making the oils. bonjour

Belle Du Jour

Eureka! I think this is the reason why I got the amount of growth that usually I get in a month in only 2.5 weeks with my braids. I used my Jamaican Black Castor oil (from Sams247) to stop the itchies when I got the braids. As you can see in my siggy, I had no idea why my hair was growing out this fast.

PapillionRouge

L'huile masqueti/masketi is not the same as castor oil, it's from the palm nut the full name is l'huile palme masqueti. You'll have to go to a Haitian biz where they sell it. you can try online @ michline de paris but they dont have oil there just other products Haitians use.
http://www.michelinedeparis.com/Supply/Hair Care/index.html
hth

Lucia I think ur very wrong.

I think L'huile Masqueti and Jamaican black or Pure Castor Oil is the exact same thing...

Stepiphanie

I bought some Jamaican Black Castor Oil today, b4 seeing this thread.As I was applying it to my hair and thought hmm..this smells very familiar..then it hit me a few secs later..l'huile maskreti!! yup..could never forget that smell.

Netta1

Your diet can most certainly effect your hair amongst other things, I eat lots of fish and beans.

I don't chicken, beef, pork, or turkey anymore.

lp318lp

OMGoodness!! Where has this delicious thread been hiding?! LOL!!

I tell you what, reading about all these wonderful foods, and the l'huile mascreti, has made me miss my home, my mom and dad, and all my family. I'm Haitian too, but unfortunately, hair growth has ALWAYS been a problem for me. I have fine hair, unlike my sister and mom. I always experimented, and BC'ed too often to remember...

It's SO funny that I stumbled upon this thread because two days ago, I called my mom asking her for some l'huile for my hair... then I find THIS!!! :woot::woot::woot:

Now, I will have:

Kemi Oil
EVVO
Warm Spirit's Anahita's Hair Oil
L'Huile Mascreti

...to choose from! Oh, the options! :yep: :drunk: :spinning:

I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!

me~:rolleyes:

Lady Esquire

Interesting. Dominicans have beautiful hair as well I wonder if they subscribe to the same thing as the Haitians since they share an island.

Their diet is almost identical, with a few recipe/spice variations: both extremely high in protein. :yep: Shooooo, had rice and beans yesterday and the day before. :lol: My maternal grandmother was a Haitian-Dominican, she lived in our house practically my entire childhood, and other than a few things, her Haitian foods were not that different from her Dominican dishes.

The average Haitian woman, at least the ones i grew up with, most had thick, healthy, flowy hair. To add to what the woman shared with you, GymFreak, Haitian women swear by their weekly rollersets...which, IMO, has a lot to do with growth retention (I grew up in the salons, so I've seen this firsthand). They also swear by their scarves at night, which, IMO, has a lot to do with protecting...and further adds to retention.

Casarela

Hi,

Diets really affect the outcome in your hair health wise wether youre eating haitian , american or whatever the food . Ive been on that haitian rice for ever my mom will cook it 3 to 4 times a week but in different ways and if she doesn't she will feel sick because she needs her dayum du riz coller ak pois. I do believe that haitian meals are usually high in proteins and goood. Bouche mwen ap fe d'lo tellement mgran gou!!! TONNERE!

Tamrin

unapologetic
Hi,

Diets really affect the outcome in your hair health wise wether youre eating haitian , american or whatever the food . Ive been on that haitian rice for ever my mom will cook it 3 to 4 times a week but in different ways and if she doesn't she will feel sick because she needs her dayum du riz coller ak pois. I do believe that haitian meals are usually high in proteins and goood. Bouche mwen ap fe d'lo tellement mgran gou!!! TONNERE!

LOL too funny. It is the diet. They live by Sauce pois. I cannot stand the stuff. Since I was a kid they have been on an endless quest to shove it down my throat. I'm in my 30's now and my parents are still trying. You think they would have learned.

Hey anyone ever had Moelle de beouf used on their hair? The real one, it was a tan color.

Casarela

I hate sauce pois too!!!! and akasen even more!!! yuck!!! Yeah moelle de boeuf they sell it next to my house it like a tan pomade w/o a smell. My mother used it on my hair when I was younger. They still sell that damn thing!!!!!!

LOL too funny. It is the diet. They live by Sauce pois. I cannot stand the stuff. Since I was a kid they have been on an endless quest to shove it down my throat. I'm in my 30's now and my parents are still trying. You think they would have learned.

Hey anyone ever had Moelle de beouf used on their hair? The real one, it was a tan color.

MAMATO

Wow that is a very old thread... Thanks for bumping it anyway.

I eat a lot of rice, beans and fish as well... My favorite meal is Legume with plenty of vegetables, beef, pork and crabs...Yummy :) This afternoon I am gonna be having rice and beans (of course) and pork in a gumbo sauce with green peas, red bell pepper , carrots and other vegetables ...Miam :)

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
Haha! I remember this thread....funny thing is, ever since i got pregnant and even after I had my daughter, now I love sos pwa france...lol. I eat any sos pwa but the white beans one still...:nono:

I thought I was the only one....lol....can't stand that one or the white bean sauce pois either.

But I agree on the diet, when I moved out, my hair health went downhill very fast. I was trying to experiment and cook all these different types of food. I still do try different recipes everynow and then but I've definitely gone back to the Haitian way of eating.

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
Ladies I know the smell sucks, but I did a rollerset last night under my soft bonnet and applied palma de Christi (L'huile Maskriti) to each pincurl and this morning I cannot keep my hands out of my hair!!!! I've only been using it for about a week and I already feel like my hair is so much healthier. I already told my dad to stock up on it when he goes to Haiti in July. When I use it at night, my hair doesn't stink in the morning. :)

I also use it on my face and feet at night and in the morning my skin is amazing!!!

beans4reezy

Ahhhh man! My Haitian Sisters!!!!!!! Where have ya beeeeen?? SAK AP FETE? What a great thread! Dang, I wish I weren't at work so that I could take my time to read through it all.

Yeah, I've got to go harass my grandmother for some of that L'uhile. And I feel the need to cook a Haitian meal tonight!

BostonMaria

Interesting. Dominicans have beautiful hair as well I wonder if they subscribe to the same thing as the Haitians since they share an island.

First of all this thread is making me hungry!! :lick:

I am Dominican and yes we do eat alot of seafood, rice & beans on the island, too. I haven't lived in DR in a while so I can't chime in on the castor oil in the hair, but we do use alot of coconut oil. I've never tried Haitian castor oil and I'm curious about it now. :yep:

ccd

How is the Haitian castor oil different from the Jamaican castor oil?

I'm not sure it is all that different..... might be less processed but I believe it is the same thing..... just on a different island :grin:

I must say that while diet is important, the care of your hair is also most important....Like anything, if you abuse it, it will be destroyed one way or the other. I have 2 people in my life that always ask me , what I do to my hair.....I tell them, "nothing"...but deep condition and rollerset....

None of those fancy stlyes with gel and curling irons........

One such person, is a hairdresser in ATL.....gets alot of business, but its for tracks, braids and the hair styles...that last for days....nothing against that but I think those things, processes, damage the hair.

If you are holding a style with gels and hairspray ( I don't use this either) then you go to wash it......you are gonna get tangles galore IMHO

Bluetopia

l'huile mascriti is palm nut oil, unrefined

there's this other oil that we call l'huile mascriti also... but that's black castor oil. and it really stinks...

I dont even know the names of the beans in English :look: actually i hardly know any name of veggies in english and i've been living here for 5 years. Lemme go to google translator to find the names...

anyway, lots of green legumes. We do this thing called "Legumes" and it's different types of leafy vegetables, with meat, with olive oil, carrots, etc. It ends up looking like a thick stew of meat and veggies.

we also cook this meal called "bouillon" and it's almost the same but the meat is beef, and its like a soup with a lot of things in it, lol. Tastes great. what's in it? beef, leafy veggies, this thing called "boy" (it actually is flour and seasoning, rolled up into 3" long rolls) and that's in there too and other kinds of vegetables that grow under the soil... wow my english is poor, i cant even remember the names in French either to translate them.

For rice, either white rice and bean sauce. Sorry, dont' know the names of the beans either. We just either call them: red beans, white beans, black beans, and "pois France" for the green beans :look: etc. We also have "du ris jonjon" which is Mushroom rice, they put the mushroom in water and use that black water that comes from it to make the rice...

I think everyone in the Caribbean cooks the same types of food. My Hispanic friends eat rice and beans almost everyday too, but we have more meat in our diet and probably more veggies as well. We also eat a lot of fish. Not the nasty tasting fish they sell at the grocery stores, but the ones that u take the scales off yourself and cook it.

i dont know if i've been much help b/c i dont know the English names, but perhaps some other Haitian lady can enlighten u some more...

Reading this made me hungry!!! :lick: (and nostalgic)

I'm Haitian and Cuban and can honestly say that I've noticed that Haitians and Dominicans alike tend to have really thick and/or long healthy hair. The maintenance can be lacking sometimes (can think of a couple folks growing up who could have benefited from LHCF) but Haitian hair has always been synonymous with healthy hair for me.

Never made the correlation that a diet high in protein, tons of fish, veggies and rice and beans had anything to do with it.

Def food for thought :rolleyes: (pun intended lol)

Gonna read the rest of the thread and see what other goodies I can learn.

I wonder if there are any good Haitian restaurants in the DMV area cause reading this on an empty stomach is making me ravenous. lol

Bluetopia

Their diet is almost identical, with a few recipe/spice variations: both extremely high in protein. :yep: Shooooo, had rice and beans yesterday and the day before. :lol: My maternal grandmother was a Haitian-Dominican, she lived in our house practically my entire childhood, and other than a few things, her Haitian foods were not that different from her Dominican dishes.

The average Haitian woman, at least the ones i grew up with, most had thick, healthy, flowy hair. To add to what the woman shared with you, GymFreak, Haitian women swear by their weekly rollersets...which, IMO, has a lot to do with growth retention (I grew up in the salons, so I've seen this firsthand). They also swear by their scarves at night, which, IMO, has a lot to do with protecting...and further adds to retention.

After reading this whole thread I have to admit that while diet certainly helps...I think a big reason why so many Haitian women I knew growing up had such healthy hair is because most of then lived by

1. roller sets
  2. often wore their rollers in all day while doing chores/errands and just let their hair air dry
  3. applied hair grease to keep their scalp and ends moisturized
  4. and wore scarves at night.
I cant believe im just peeping this but....they were actually doing protective styling and moisturizing all the time and probably didnt even realize it was a big deal.

This further goes to show that sometimes keeping it simple and constant works....and also....every new thing we swear is innovative has probably been done by folks waaaay before us without all the fanfare :rolleyes:

the older I get the more i see my mom and auntie know more about life than i ever realized. Even when it comes to money...I watch Suze Orman giving advice to do things that my mother has done for yeeears :blush:

good ole fashioned common sense aint a joke! :grin:

LaidBak

Thanks for bumping this thread! I have been searching the internet for this masketi/maskreti/masqueti stuff for days. I can't find it anywhere, but I think I am satisfied the JBCO that I have.

Last edited:

kryolnapps

Sakpase moun yo!

This tread is making me sooo hungry. My cousin came down last week to spend some time with us and he cooked 'legumes', 'bouillon' (with boy!!!) and rice and peas. He is much better at cooking Haitian food than me.

I can't believe I'm one of these Haitians with not one, but two kind of huile masketi in my home!! LOL! I hated the smell of it when I was younger. I have the lighter yellowish one. I use that one to seal. I also have the thick dark one (I'm used to the smell now). I use that one for pre-poos.

LABETT

I have been using the Haitian Castor oil and my does not smell anything like the JBCO.
My haitian castor oil stinks (kinda smells like bacon) and is less sticky and heavy as JBCO.
JBCO has more of a nutty smokey smell to me.
I have to mask the smell with Pinksugar hair Perfume or the smell will linger forever,the haitian castor oil is no joke.
This stuff works but it stinks. :yep: