Haitian Salons??

Luli

Hey Ladies...
Just curious if anyone has been to any Haitian Salons in NY. A friend of my sister recently got turned on to one in Long Island. She said they had super hot dryers and did a bomb roller set on her. The only thing was that they don't style -she left in a wrap (no blower). Any experiences?

daviine

I've never been to any of them but my aunt goes to one. They have a few throughout BK and LI with the same name ---Yole or Yole's.

I don't know if that's the one your friend went to. My aunt said they didn't know how to style.

I know of another on on Grand Ave in Baldwin but I can't think of the name but I think they know how to style and I don;t know how their rollersets are. It's right next door to 20 South Studios.

jazzyfunknastee

Hi Luli. I never went to one but my friend did. She went twice actually. The first time they did a weave. It was horrible! It looked like a four-year old did it with some Elmer's Glue. The second time she went for a wash, set and wrap. It came out much better this time. I can't remember the exact name (something with family in it) but it's on Ralph Avenue in Brooklyn, across the street from Glenwood houses and between the Kennedy Fried Chicken and the Milky Way deli. The stylist's name is Sexy.

Crysdon

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
and between the Kennedy Fried Chicken and the Milky Way deli. The stylist's name is Sexy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why am I laughing at this sentence? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

beana3

I hope this doesn't sound too steroetypical, but I notice that 90% of the Haitian women I meet have beautiful hair!!!! I asked one girl about her hair and she gave me some very general pointers. She told me that most haitains dont relax until late in their teens, SHE uses advocado for conditioning, and she washes her hair every week.
I wanted to quiz her further, but i just left it at that... ok, i'm done babbling

Lucia

I only know of oone stylist here in Chicago and I haven't checked her out yet.
Beana, she's right it's usually late teens/early20's or never (esp with the old school set). That however didn't stop me from jacking my /images/graemlins/censored.gif up big time. But once I get to my short-term goal I'll have the hair I had as a child, can't wait /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lucia

Just had to realte a little story when my hair was seriously messed up I had to go to a wedding and of course I had to look good. So I bought a long weave and went to this Mexican salon-and girlfreind HOOKED-ME-UP! Areally elaborate up-do. Honestly my hair wasn't even shoulder length yet but it looked real and natural and nobody knew that I had lost most of my length.
Just had to share.

mahogani

hello i know the one in baldwin {where my parents live} i used to go there it's called yole and the owners own about eight to shops around queens,long island and brookln. The lady that did my hair there left now she's my personal hair dresser for 4 years now and she's haitian and she highly believes in conditoning the hair and hair treatments no curling irons or blow dryers.

daviine

Too bad my mom became "Amerericanized" or whatever happened to her. Actually I remember that she was combing my hair and the comb had either broken or flew out of her hand and the rest is history. I've been relxed since 9. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

vevster

&gt;&gt;A friend of my sister recently got turned on to one in Long Island.&lt;&lt;

Where is this salon?

marabou1

I wished I lived I lived in NY! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Luli

Thanks Ngaa - her name is pretty in pink!

Vevster - I think it's the one in Baldwin, I'll have to ask my sister to find out. I know her friend lives in Freeport.

She did say they use Nexus conditioner and it was like a factory line - meaning - a lady to wash and condition and one to rollerset and then one to wrap or whatever.
I think she paid like $13.

DazzlingD

Ok ladies, this is something I do know about. I live in LI and the Yole salons are everywhere. There is one not to far from my house in Westbury and one in Baldwin. I am not sure about the exact locations. The ones in Baldwin and Westbury are owned by the same person.
Its true it is like a factory, there are different people in there doing different things. And they do use Nexxus products. My mother goes to them faithfully because the are cheap. Especially if you are going to be washing your hair every week. The cost $11 if you use their products, but if you bring your own stuff its $13. That is what my mother does. She brings her own stuff because they tend to water down their stuff. That to me isn't good /images/graemlins/nono.gif. That is why I stopped going to them.
And no, they can't style. Wait they can do a mean traditional haitian french roll though /images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I am considering letting them wash my hair again, but this time around I will bring my own products. I mean I will even bring my own comb (seamless of course) so they don't rip my hair out /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

azul11

wait that doesnt sound right to me. why would it cost you more to bring your own products? shouldnt it cost you less? /images/graemlins/confused.gif God bless you all.

azul11

i'm sorry if i am bit slow but i just dont get it. if someone wets your hair why would they charge you extra to dry it? shouldnt drying it be included? i dont think they would wash and shampoo your hair and ask you to pay without it being dry? the confusion also is wouldnt they make you pay more to use their products. why would it cost you more to use your own products? sorry if you already answered this but that part of it confuses me. /images/graemlins/huh.gif God bless you all.

DazzlingD

No need to apologize. It does sound confusing but that is they way the do things. And it works for them. They are always busy. I guess people don't mind the surcharge because they are so cheap. I mean $13 every week isn't bad. In comparison if I go to my curren Dominincan hairdresser who charges $20 for a wash and set. And if you bring your own stuff she charges a $5 surcharge for using the dryer.

Allandra

DazzlingD said:
I guess people don't mind the surcharge because they are so cheap. I mean $13 every week isn't bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know good and well I would NOT mind the surcharge at all. I wish I could get a nice wash and set for $13 in my area (with or without my own products).

ms_kenesha

Amen Allandra! Don't you get so jealous of the New Yorker's (and Jersey) who can go to a Dominican or Hatian salon and get their roller sets from $10-20 when here in MD it's approx. $35!!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Allandra

ms_kenesha said:
Amen Allandra! Don't you get so jealous of the New Yorker's (and Jersey) who can go to a Dominican or Hatian salon and get their roller sets from $10-20 when here in MD it's approx. $35!!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes indeed girl!

daviine

Hey mahogani--I must have been speed reading the last time I read this thread becasue I don't remember reading your post. Is this lady still your hairdresser and where is she located?

daviine

DazzlingD said:
They charge you a $2 service charge for using the dryers

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a solution to this problem. I was thinking about it because sopme of these places charge you $5 for deep conditioning even if you bring your own stuff. But now I understand they're charging you for use of their dryers. So, if you're really on a budget and can't spare the $5, bring a conditioner that doesn't require heat like KeraCare.

Then what will they say?

SweetNic_JA

Yole's, Wow, we (CT) have a haitian salon with the same name. Is it a name or is it a Haitian word? This salon is very simple but they get great reviews. Women who have been there say that their hair grows longer than they've ever thought possible. It's not beause of a miracle product or technique though, it's because these women know how to care for hair. The good thing is if you are a member of the LHCF then you don't even need to go to a Haitian salon, Dominican salone, or any other salon types that we here about. The key to their success is knowledge and we all have that here .

H

HoneyRockette

it's on Ralph Avenue in Brooklyn, across the street from Glenwood houses and between the Kennedy Fried Chicken and the Milky Way deli. The stylist's name is Sexy.

[/ QUOTE ]
OMG Crysdon! This sentence IS funny! ROFLMAO!

jazzyfunknastee

HoneyRockette said:
it's on Ralph Avenue in Brooklyn, across the street from Glenwood houses and between the Kennedy Fried Chicken and the Milky Way deli. The stylist's name is Sexy.

[/ QUOTE ]
OMG Crysdon! This sentence IS funny! ROFLMAO!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yall betta hush LOL I know it sounds funny. It was funny the first time I heard it too but that's where it's located.

daviine

That's but the Everything Natural Health Food Store...maybe the next time I'm there--I'll stop by and ask if "Sexy" is in just to be funny!

dstdiva

Lucia said:
I only know of oone stylist here in Chicago and I haven't checked her out yet.
Beana, she's right it's usually late teens/early20's or never (esp with the old school set). That however didn't stop me from jacking my &lt;img src="/images/graemlins/censored.gif" alt="" /&gt; up big time. But once I get to my short-term goal I'll have the hair I had as a child, can't wait &lt;img src="/images/graemlins/grin.gif" alt="" /&gt;

[/ QUOTE ]

hey lucia,

who/where is the salon in chicago? do you plan on checking it out? i know of one dominican place, but i haven't worked up the nerve to try it out.

Drea84

Can anyone get back to us with that Baldwin location? I know of one in St. Albans in Queens its on Linden Blvd. and Newburg. I went there for a wash and set and I left with it wrapped (it was raining) but they did a good job and it cost $20 because I added a deep conditioner. There deep conditioner was one that was made from scratch!! It smelled like WGO but it was worth it whatever it was cause it did a good job. When I went home and un wrapped my hair I was a very satisfied customer! Haven't been back because I have braids but I will be returning there again in mid May

Drea84

P.S. They did a good job with coloring and perming also, not on me personally but on the other customers in the salon.