Halloween - Christian Perspective - Who Celebrates this event?

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
pebbles said:
Great thread! I don't celebrate Halloween at all. My mother never did either, when we were kids. Nobody even rings our doorbell on halloween. It's the funniest thing! It's almost as if they know not to waiste their time! LOL! :lol:

They don't knock on my door either... :lol:

Shimmie

Staff member
Thought I'd bump this one up, since Halloween is just around the corner.

Don't blink...you might miss it, that's how close it is...Hmmmmm, on the other hand :scratchch: Do blink, there's nothing to celebrate regarding this event for Christians. :nono:

Selah....

StrawberryQueen

I see man-made "holidays" as all the same. I don't think having a holiday is all bad, it's what you make of it and what you chose to do. You shouldn't allow anything that you do seperate you from Christ. Like Shimie stated with Halloween, some chose to do evil, she however, decided to do something more positive with her students...etc. all the other wonderful suggestions.

The Bible never told us to "celebrate" these man-made holidays. That goes for Christmas and Easter too.

Christmas is never mentioned in Biblical text, but is a fabricated story derived from the birth of Christ based on some truth, some imagination, a dash of license of facts and what is true is often exaggerated. It is celebrated at December 25th since it is not mentioned in scripture and therefore is not tied to any dated Biblical historical event in time.

It is true Christ was born, but his birth date has been attributed to practically every month of the year and most likely is akin to the early fall based on the events of the story.

There were no three wise men, Christ was not born in a manger, and he was close to two years old and living in a house by the time the Magi (Wise men) arrived.

"Easter" is a mistranslation by the King James Version translators. All other reputable versions employ the proper title of "Passover" in Acts 12:4.

The title "Easter" is a variation of several pagan celebrations in honor of Goddesses of fertility, which is why it probably occurs in the spring and is associated with the new life in the animal (bunnies and eggs) and plant world.

Passover and Easter often do occur at the same time of each other, but may be as much as a month a part.

Their observance is entirely different.

Passover was for the Jews to celebrate the "passing over" of the death angel just before the Exodus to persuade Pharaoh to let the Jewish people leave Egypt after 400 years of slavery.

Easter, as it is called, is supposed to be celebrated on the first day of the week, following His death 3 days before.

It is observed with variations of date due to different calendars on the the first Sunday after the full moon on, or next after March 21, or one week later if the full moon falls on a Sunday. (Webster)

However, Easter was not even heard of until the 2nd century making it foreign to the scripture’s writers of the first century.

Some New Testament blood covenant Christians celebrate the holiday season with a tree and lights and presents --- mostly for the kids --- because they have hard time differentiating "why not to". Some feel awkward if they don't mimic their neighbors.

But since these festivities are not in the Bible, most blood covenant Christians do not celebrate religious holidays where none exist.

Paul commented on people who observe such days.

In one scripture he said:

"You observe days and months and seasons and years. I fear for you, that perhaps I have labored over you in vain. Gal 4:10-11

But then his kindly heart told us this in Romans 14:

1 Now accept the one who is weak in faith, but not for the purpose of passing judgment on his opinions.
2 One man has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only.
3 Let not him who eats regard with contempt him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats, for God has accepted him.
4 Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and stand he will, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
5 One man regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Let each man be fully convinced in his own mind.
6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.
7 For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself;
8 for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord's.

The death burial and resurrection of Christ is to be celebrated by covenant Christians every first day of the week by partaking of the Lord's Supper. This is the example following by Christians in the New Testament. When we do that, the Lord's Supper becomes a covenant renewal ceremony. Each time, we renew our original blood covenant agreement we made with Him in baptism.

Every covenant back to Adam and Eve was ratified by blood. Our covenant with Christ’s blood was ratified when we died and were resurrected with Him in baptism. At that instant, we had all sin removed and it placed us in a saved condition.

Do I pratice or celebrate any of these holidays? The answer is no. Do I judge those who chose to partake of these holidays? NO, I do not. In this regard, I chose to follow Christ and not man as it applies to rituals and pratices.

I hope that all those who are out on this coming holiday (whatever your plans may be) do pratice safety.;)
Makes sense to me! :yep:

Mocha5

I guess you could say that we do participate. My children dress up as harmless characters: superheroes, firemen, lions, flowers, etc. They particiate in the parade at school and look forward to it. Their school does not allow scary costumes or masks but I'm sure there are plenty of witches and ghosts running around. :blush: But I don't know that I want to keep them home or even worse send them and not let them participate. Seems like a raw deal either way to me. :nono:

I have not had the Halloween conversation with them yet primarily because the the oldest two are just 9 and 7 this year. But I'm pretty sure that their youth group leaders will be touching on the subject with them. And I'm ok with that since they are pretty grounded in the word now. We don't do scary movies which I, personally, think are satanic. Nor do we hang scary decorations. I usually hang orange lights and put jack o lanterns out but I think I will be replacing these with pumpkins. I'm open to suggestions on this matter.

We always hand out candy. I love the idea of attaching a tract or a special scripture. Any ideas on a really good scripture? I will probably print them on labels and stick them to the candy.

tffy2004

I see man-made "holidays" as all the same. I don't think having a holiday is all bad, it's what you make of it and what you chose to do. You shouldn't allow anything that you do seperate you from Christ. Like Shimie stated with Halloween, some chose to do evil, she however, decided to do something more positive with her students...etc. all the other wonderful suggestions.

The Bible never told us to "celebrate" these man-made holidays. That goes for Christmas and Easter too.

Christmas is never mentioned in Biblical text, but is a fabricated story derived from the birth of Christ based on some truth, some imagination, a dash of license of facts and what is true is often exaggerated. It is celebrated at December 25th since it is not mentioned in scripture and therefore is not tied to any dated Biblical historical event in time.

It is true Christ was born, but his birth date has been attributed to practically every month of the year and most likely is akin to the early fall based on the events of the story.

There were no three wise men, Christ was not born in a manger, and he was close to two years old and living in a house by the time the Magi (Wise men) arrived.

"Easter" is a mistranslation by the King James Version translators. All other reputable versions employ the proper title of "Passover" in Acts 12:4.

The title "Easter" is a variation of several pagan celebrations in honor of Goddesses of fertility, which is why it probably occurs in the spring and is associated with the new life in the animal (bunnies and eggs) and plant world.

Passover and Easter often do occur at the same time of each other, but may be as much as a month a part.

Their observance is entirely different.

Passover was for the Jews to celebrate the "passing over" of the death angel just before the Exodus to persuade Pharaoh to let the Jewish people leave Egypt after 400 years of slavery.

Easter, as it is called, is supposed to be celebrated on the first day of the week, following His death 3 days before.

It is observed with variations of date due to different calendars on the the first Sunday after the full moon on, or next after March 21, or one week later if the full moon falls on a Sunday. (Webster)

However, Easter was not even heard of until the 2nd century making it foreign to the scripture’s writers of the first century.

Some New Testament blood covenant Christians celebrate the holiday season with a tree and lights and presents --- mostly for the kids --- because they have hard time differentiating "why not to". Some feel awkward if they don't mimic their neighbors.

But since these festivities are not in the Bible, most blood covenant Christians do not celebrate religious holidays where none exist.

Paul commented on people who observe such days.

In one scripture he said:

"You observe days and months and seasons and years. I fear for you, that perhaps I have labored over you in vain. Gal 4:10-11

But then his kindly heart told us this in Romans 14:

1 Now accept the one who is weak in faith, but not for the purpose of passing judgment on his opinions.
2 One man has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only.
3 Let not him who eats regard with contempt him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats, for God has accepted him.
4 Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and stand he will, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
5 One man regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Let each man be fully convinced in his own mind.
6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.
7 For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself;
8 for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord's.

The death burial and resurrection of Christ is to be celebrated by covenant Christians every first day of the week by partaking of the Lord's Supper. This is the example following by Christians in the New Testament. When we do that, the Lord's Supper becomes a covenant renewal ceremony. Each time, we renew our original blood covenant agreement we made with Him in baptism.

Every covenant back to Adam and Eve was ratified by blood. Our covenant with Christ’s blood was ratified when we died and were resurrected with Him in baptism. At that instant, we had all sin removed and it placed us in a saved condition.

Do I pratice or celebrate any of these holidays? The answer is no. Do I judge those who chose to partake of these holidays? NO, I do not. In this regard, I chose to follow Christ and not man as it applies to rituals and pratices.

I hope that all those who are out on this coming holiday (whatever your plans may be) do pratice safety.;)

Very well said MrsHouston, as you already probably know I agree with you on all points.

How in the world did i miss this post?:confused:

gone_fishing

This is for a Peaceful Discussion

;) Thank You Well in Advance ;)

I'm interested in the different views Christians have on Halloween participation. This is only about a topic, not any person.
***​
From a Christian Perspective, what are your views on celebrating Halloween?
  1. Do you participate in Halloween celebrations?
  2. Why or why not?
  3. What do you teach your children about Halloween?
  4. How do you handle Halloween celebrations at school?
  5. What alternatives do you share with your family and loved ones?
In my family we do not celebrate Halloween. I raised my children with this and we are raising their children the same.

Based upon our faith as Christians, and the rituals upon which Halloween is based upon, we do not view it as an honor to God. In addition, with all of the harm that has evolved with tainted treats, etc., we choose not to participate or even be associated with it.

What are your views on this topic?

Blessings to everyone...;)

1. Do you participate in Halloween celebrations? No - but we do an alternative known as the harvest festival.
  2. Why or why not? Cause I don't want to be convicted by "the BIG DAD".
  3. What do you teach your children about Halloween? I teach my son about the harvest festival and how we are thankful for all that God gives us. I teach him that it's not good to mimic "bad" or "not nice" things like...demons and goblins and costumes where one eye is falling out of your socket and blood coming out of the mouth...:ohwell: Right now mainly because it scares mom and God doesn't like it. Since he's 5 and can't see God... I'll explain it further when he's older.
  4. How do you handle Halloween celebrations at school? Our school doesn't celebrate halloween.
  5. What alternatives do you share with your family and loved ones? I don't hand out halloween candy period. If someone gets something bad...I don't want police retracing their steps back to my house. No thank you. We usually go see a movie or hit a festival or what not that day....
I understand that some christians see halloween as a day to just dress up and have fun while others see it as a satanic day where you promote darkness and such.

At my church we have harvest festival. We dress up in "suitable costumes" and we praise God for the fall harvest but we don't make any mention of dungeons and dragons or goblins and ghosts.

As far as I know the Bible doesn't say anything about halloween but it does speak out about some of the things halloween seems to support.

We all know what the Bible says about witchcraft, sorcery, devils, spirits, ghosts...ewwwww....I'm getting a chill.

If you'll recall the story of Elymas - he was a sorcerer in Acts 13:6-11. Paul called him a child of the devil, and enemy of righteousness and perverter of the ways of God.

"Be Holy, as I am Holy" (1 Peter 1:16). "God is light and in Him is no darkness at all" (1 John 1:5b).

Last edited:

gradygirl

I dont celebrate halloween. We have a fall festival in the gym in my hometown each year. My niece takes her kids trick or treating and I dont judge her for that I just asked if she would not send them out in little devil or witch outfits but rather something good like angels or a princess costume and she agreed to it. Shimmie thank you for posting on the origins of halloween it really was an eye opener for me because I was on the fence about whether to have candy for kids that might stop by.

springbreeze

no i don't, but when i didn't know and i wasn't a christian i did in a small way celebrate by buying candy and also allowed
my kids to recieve candy.

but when i found out it represent darkness;death;evil;ect.. i stop cold turkey:nono:
i didn't want any connection with that.

oh! and sometimes if my kids felt that everyone else was having fun except them we would watch movies and eat popcorn.

Last edited:

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
I guess I should answer the question.

No - I do not celebrate Halloween. I used to think it was cruel and unusual of my grandmother to not let us wear costumes or go trick or treating. Plus I just LOVE candy corn :love:. Now it doesn't phase me at all. At least now, many churches have activities for children so they don't feel completely outcasted.

I live in Hollywood and I can honestly say that even as a native NYCer, I have never seen Halloween celebrated to the extent that it is out here. It's really a big deal. People at work look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them that I do not celebrate it. People put up Halloween lights just like Christmas lights, there's a huge parade on Santa Monica Blvd, Hollywood Blvd is closed down... just alot. But I refuse to celebrate. About 2 years ago, there was a website that I used to frequent for bible verses - gospelcom.net. Well around Halloween, the front page to their website was decorated for the occassion. I never visited that site again.

When I was about 6 years old, my grandmother's church friend told me a story about the concept of Trick or Treat. She said that they would knock on your door and say "trick or treat" and when you opened the door, they'd cut your head off... that was the trick. Ya think she was trying to scare me? :lol:

Shimmie

Staff member
I guess I should answer the question.

No - I do not celebrate Halloween. I used to think it was cruel and unusual of my grandmother to not let us wear costumes or go trick or treating. Plus I just LOVE candy corn :love:. Now it doesn't phase me at all. At least now, many churches have activities for children so they don't feel completely outcasted.

I live in Hollywood and I can honestly say that even as a native NYCer, I have never seen Halloween celebrated to the extent that it is out here. It's really a big deal. People at work look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them that I do not celebrate it. People put up Halloween lights just like Christmas lights, there's a huge parade on Santa Monica Blvd, Hollywood Blvd is closed down... just alot. But I refuse to celebrate. About 2 years ago, there was a website that I used to frequent for bible verses - gospelcom.net. Well around Halloween, the front page to their website was decorated for the occassion. I never visited that site again.

When I was about 6 years old, my grandmother's church friend told me a story about the concept of Trick or Treat. She said that they would knock on your door and say "trick or treat" and when you opened the door, they'd cut your head off... that was the trick. Ya think she was trying to scare me? :lol:

Booo! :drunk:

Hey Darlin...:kiss: You have nothing to fear. So precious in the Lord you are; you will never have nothing to fear.

Shimmie

Staff member
I hope this encourages the precious parents who struggle with Halloween for their children. :giveheart:

What do we teach our children about Halloween? How do we protect them from being outcasted from other children who participate?

We love our babies. Indeed I love mine. :love3:

And because we love them, we want to give them every joy there is in this life; for it makes us happy to see them happy.

The word 'us' is key here. 'Us'. It makes us happy to withhold nothing from them...even the 'fun' that other children are having with Halloween. As parents, we don't want to send our babies off to school to feel sad and left out of school fun activities. But not all activities are fun, or cool or holy.

So what's a parent to do? In school our babies are singled out, because the other children are joining the world and our babies are faithful to Jesus.

Sooner or later, we have to take a stand and teach our babies the same; that there is no shame is being different for the right reasons. Even if it means being the only one.

What wait until our babies have grown into joining so much of the world ways, that when they become teens and are peer pressured, we then struggle to make them see that the world's way is not what they're intended to be.

As babies, we start then to build them up as women and men of God who will not be afraid to be singled out as the difference. For it is the different ones whom God calls us and uses to His Glory.

For whatever a child's confidence is set upon, that he will trust in. Our babies trust is not in what other children do in this world. Our babies are exalted for being different...singled out because of Jesus.

And this is what we teach them. We don't give in to the world. For what will be the next compromise to keep them from feeling left out? Halloween is not 'all that' and it never will be. And this our babies should know. They are not less, because they don't dress up in costumes and the like.

What happens when the schools begin to have gay celebrations. It's happening now. October is 'coming out' month for gay teens in several schools and communities. And schools are celebrating this event with pep rallies, banners and support groups. Do we allow our babies to be a part of that as well? My point is that we have to start young to build up our children's defenses against the influences of the world.

The younger the better; the more fun an event appears, the better, for it builds discernment in them as well as strength to resist temptations.

Sin is always disguised as a treat when in reality it is a trick.

Noah was different, and was chided and mocked, yet his whole family was lead to safety and a new generation was begun with this one man who chose to be not like the others.

Abraham, was different. God called (singled) him out to leave his family and follow Him and God called him 'Friend'.

Moses...was different. He left Pharoah's kingdom and received greater...a personal relationship with God and God spoke to Him face to face.

Joshua was different...and he was selected to rule after Moses.

Elijah was different...and he proved baal was not God. (I love Ist Kings 19)

You see the 'crowd' always loses. Always. Yet we who follow Jesus, never lose.

Jesus said, that whatever you give up for the 'Kingdom', you will receive 100-fold ...in this time (with persecution). The persecution can be many fold, yet the reward will always be Jesus. And this is far better than a night of costumes and candy just so our babies can feel like everyone else. Yet our babies are not like everyone else, they are set apart to be followed as they follow Jesus and not followers of the world.

The difference in us is Jesus... :heart2: No shame. :nono:

Love and blessings...:love3:

divya

No, I do not celebrate Halloween because of the occult roots of the day. I have no children but will share my beliefs about the day with others. It is treated like any other day for me, no alternative needed.

chellero

Wife Supremacist
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't see the harm in dressing my toddler up as Pablo from the Backyardigans and letting him get candy from the neighbors' houses. I dressed up as a child as did my husband. It's harmless. In addition I really wish that people would stop claiming that Halloween candy is being or has been poisoned by someone. Oprah mentioned this a while back. The poisoning never happened, unless you count some kids who were poisoned for the insurance money by their parents. http://www.snopes.com/horrors/poison/halloween.asp

It's just another Urban Legend. Yet people in my church have been spreading this foolishness, some knowing that it isn't true, to scare people into their way of thinking. If you don't want your kid to dress up and get candy then of course that's your right, but Halloween as celebrated by most people has about as much in common with it's pagan roots as Christmas trees, which by the way, I also feel are harmless.

Mocha5

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't see the harm in dressing my toddler up as Pablo from the Backyardigans and letting him get candy from the neighbors' houses. I dressed up as a child as did my husband. It's harmless. In addition I really wish that people would stop claiming that Halloween candy is being or has been poisoned by someone. Oprah mentioned this a while back. The poisoning never happened, unless you count some kids who were poisoned for the insurance money by their parents. http://www.snopes.com/horrors/poison/halloween.asp

It's just another Urban Legend. Yet people in my church have been spreading this foolishness, some knowing that it isn't true, to scare people into their way of thinking. If you don't want your kid to dress up and get candy then of course that's your right, but Halloween as celebrated by most people has about as much in common with it's pagan roots as Christmas trees, which by the way, I also feel are harmless.

Oooooh, we love us some Pablo ova here! :grin:

dicapr

I never celebrated Halloween and when I have children, I will not allow them to participate. It has never shed its roots in the occult. I lived in an area growing up where there was a large community of witches and even people who worshiped the devil. It was a big deal in their communities and they take it serious. I do not want my children unwillingly celebrating a holiday that those who worship the occult regard as their own. Plus my mother always said that she would not let us go door to door begging food from strangers any other day of the week and she certainly wasn't going to let us do it on Oct. 31. You got to love my mom's logic :lachen:.

Shimmie

Staff member

Actually it's true about the candy and even fruit.

When I was a child a classmate of mine, bit into an apple that someone had placed a razor blade into. His lips and gums were cut and of course he had to be taken to the hospital for medical treatment.

Other children during the course of time, have bitten into chocolate candy bars which had straight pins inserted into them. These stories were not made up. I can remember neighborhoods gathering to put a stop to it and it was all over our local news.

It was ruled that the children would only go out with their parents and that the community organizations would have a special light on their porches to identify them as the 'safe' houses to bring children.

Also, once home, all candy bags had to be 'inspected' before the children could eat anything from them. No one was allowed to eat anything until the parents checked that the contents were safe. No child was allowed to eat unwrapped candies, such as loose candy corn, M&M's or loose popcorn.

This is one of the reasons candy manufacturers began to create the individually wrapped packets of candies for Trick or Treats. It was for the safety of the children (and big children) who ate the candies. The candy company M&M Mars was big on this. They created the wrapped mini sizes of snickers, milky way and 3 musketeers, for it made it hard to conceal stick pins or toothpicks inside of the candy bars to harm children.

And Oprah is incorrect. Candies have been dipped in harmful solutions and passed on to children. There are crazy persons who have even placed pills and capsules of harmful drugs into children's bags. Some of these people are high and think it's funny. Others are just sick/evil individuals.

People are not making these stories up :nono: It's sadly true.

Halloween activity is presenting exactly what it is, a horror and it does select its victims without mercy for whom gets harmed. There are evil and sick people who look forward to this day just to seek out whom they can harm and how many. It's a ritual to them and it's a game to others. God's not in this; no matter how innocent it may seem to others, God is simply not in Halloween.

Christmas and Easter have been made into pure Godly worship, honoring our Lord. Halloween totally honors satan for which there is no disguise nor costume cover up cute enough to tame its evil roots and rituals.

God bless you angel and please be safe. :giveheart:

ETA: I came back because I want to make sure that you know that I see the 'innocense' you convey. Just the other day, I saw the cutest pumpkin outfit, and a little peapod, that was so round and adorable. There were picture displays on each of the costumes of little children modeling the costumes with the little matching hats. I smiled and admired how adorable they were.

And that's what our children are to us...totally adorable in and out of a costume. I respect your choices. Please believe that.

Just know that the other things you hear are not made up. It's more true than I have expressed it. Not to scare anyone to my beliefs, for that is not God to manipulate. But it's only to make one aware of what's out there. I'm sharing what I know to be true.

God bless you and I mean it with all of my heart. Enjoy your family fun. :giveheart:

Last edited:

Shimmie

Staff member
I never celebrated Halloween and when I have children, I will not allow them to participate. It has never shed its roots in the occult. I lived in an area growing up where there was a large community of witches and even people who worshiped the devil. It was a big deal in their communities and they take it serious. I do not want my children unwillingly celebrating a holiday that those who worship the occult regard as their own. Plus my mother always said that she would not let us go door to door begging food from strangers any other day of the week and she certainly wasn't going to let us do it on Oct. 31. You got to love my mom's logic :lachen:.
I love your mom's logic...:lol: She sounds like my mom.

You're speaking the truth in your post about Halloween. It is surely a witches holiday. In the same manner, that we prepare for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Weddings, Baby Showers, etc.....

witches, satanists, prepare for Halloween, for it is their 'holy day' unto satan. They even have dedication ceremonies, committing their lives unto satan and all of his darkness. It's sick. Truly sick. :nono:

melodee

Yes, Halloween honors Satan. And today's society makes no effort to cover it up. In fact, in my home town's free newspaper/magazine publication, this month featured local Wiccans who are gearing up for their Holy day.
I'm not exaggerating, it's a true fact.

This said, I let me children dress in fantasy clothing( like princess or bride or animals) and attend our church's Fall Fest. They invite the community for hay rides and cider and read bible stories. It's a way to keep children safe and away from the occult on Halloween. My kids choose to stay away from costumes that honor the prince of the air and the occult.

Shimmie

Staff member
Unlike Christmas and Easter where these seasons the focus of Christians is upon the Gift, Life and Death and Ressurection of Jesus our Lord, halloween, gives honor to death and darkness and (satan) who rules it.

My 'Babies' are awesome! They are proud to share with their friends at school that halloween is not what they celebrate as it does not give honor to Jesus. It's not for Christians, nor will it ever be. :nono: