"Halo" Relaxer and other Vents

Salsarisma

So I am on the hunt for a new stylist and I went to my first supposed consultation yesterday.

First of all, I called the salon and talked to the owner/stylist for 20 minutes about my hair. I explained to her what I was looking for in a stylist and gave her a description of my hair condition. Now, about a year ago, I suffered from relaxer damage (from a salon not properly washing all the relaxer out!) and all the hair on my nape fell out. After my last relaxer in December, all of my nape hair fell out again, and my edges are suffering. So I decided to take a break from relaxers and let my hair get stronger and fuller. I am currently 24 weeks post relaxer and my hair is healthier than ever. My nape is growing back in and my edges are finally filling out.

Let me preface by saying "I do not want to transition to natural."

I got to the salon and greeted the owner. She directed to me another stylist that she had me "set up with". This put a bad taste in my mouth because I did not spend 20 minutes on the phone with "another' stylist discussing my hair.

To make a long story short, here are some of the ludicrious things this "other stylist" said to me:
  • You use to stretch your relaxers for 10-12 weeks? That's too long.
  • It's been 24 weeks since you relaxed! I would not suggest relaxing that long. Your hair will mat up and break (Although, I can actually comb through my new growth with no problems right now)
  • If you plan to stretch for 10 weeks, I suggest you come in every 5 weeks for a "halo" relaxer. ( I asked what the heck that was. It is when you only relax your edges and nape. Now why would I want to do this every 5 weeks with the condition my nape is in??:wallbash::wallbash: Are there people really doing this?? WOW!
  • We need to trim up your ends. (That heifer ain't touching my huur!! I dust my own ends and I don't need a trim!)
I know better than to start an argument with a know it all stylist. I kindly thanked her and walked out. Just needed to vent...the audacity of some folks. My search continues.....

AlliCat

I'm so glad you left!! It's hard to find a good stylist who puts health first. If all else fails, you could become a DIYer. No one will treat your hair better than you :yep:

YNOBE

I'm so glad you left!! It's hard to find a good stylist who puts health first. If all else fails, you could become a DIYer. No one will treat your hair better than you :yep:

I agree 100% with AlliCat!!! ... And I have never heard of a "halo relaxer", but it sound very damaging because most ppl have fragile/delicate hair around their "halo". :nono:

cmbodley

Halo Relaxer: I used to get this when I had a short tapered cut, the stylist would only apply relaxer to the nape area (aka the kitchen) so that it would "lay right" very common with ultra short cropped do's.....

Salsarisma

I've seen this "halo" relaxer advertised at many salons, but I had no idea what it was. I will eventually become a complete do-it-yourselfer in the future, but right now I don't feel comfortable doing my own relaxers:-(

You know now that I think about it, this stylist she pawned me off on told me she didn't have her new business cards yet, and she gave me a card from another salon! She probably was new!! I really don't appreciate that!

I had another consultation yesterday and I scheduled an appointment...I think I'm a good fit with this stylist and he has a wonderful reputation. I feel completely safe in his hands!

chelleypie810

I got a "halo" relaxer this weekend, just b/c I'm wearing half wigs and I hate for my edges to not lay..but is it necessary? nope.

aileendq

Instead of being pissed off about it (though I would be, too), be grateful that you knew better than to listen to that crap and that you had the cojones to walk out of there!

I know a lot of women who would have sat down and then happily forked over their hard earned cash after having their hair jacked up by some fool because the couldn't speak up.

dm81

My old land lady would always get that "halo relaxer"....never knew it had a name, I always just called it stupid as hell.

Anyway, she looks like a combo of Susan Taylor (Essence mag) and Stevie Wonder now....:nono:

naturalmanenyc

I once got halo relaxers but that was when I was wearing straight, sew-in weaves about 5 years ago. I didn't know that people got them for anything other than blending their own hair with weave.

washize

So I am on the hunt for a new stylist and I went to my first supposed consultation yesterday.

First of all, I called the salon and talked to the owner/stylist for 20 minutes about my hair. I explained to her what I was looking for in a stylist and gave her a description of my hair condition. Now, about a year ago, I suffered from relaxer damage (from a salon not properly washing all the relaxer out!) and all the hair on my nape fell out. After my last relaxer in December, all of my nape hair fell out again, and my edges are suffering. So I decided to take a break from relaxers and let my hair get stronger and fuller. I am currently 24 weeks post relaxer and my hair is healthier than ever. My nape is growing back in and my edges are finally filling out.

Let me preface by saying "I do not want to transition to natural."

I got to the salon and greeted the owner. She directed to me another stylist that she had me "set up with". This put a bad taste in my mouth because I did not spend 20 minutes on the phone with "another' stylist discussing my hair.

To make a long story short, here are some of the ludicrious things this "other stylist" said to me:
  • You use to stretch your relaxers for 10-12 weeks? That's too long.
  • It's been 24 weeks since you relaxed! I would not suggest relaxing that long. Your hair will mat up and break (Although, I can actually comb through my new growth with no problems right now)
  • If you plan to stretch for 10 weeks, I suggest you come in every 5 weeks for a "halo" relaxer. ( I asked what the heck that was. It is when you only relax your edges and nape. Now why would I want to do this every 5 weeks with the condition my nape is in??:wallbash::wallbash: Are there people really doing this?? WOW!
  • We need to trim up your ends. (That heifer ain't touching my huur!! I dust my own ends and I don't need a trim!)
I know better than to start an argument with a know it all stylist. I kindly thanked her and walked out. Just needed to vent...the audacity of some folks. My search continues.....

Thank you for walking out! :yep: Never let another Stylist ruin your hair again. I think you may have to start learning how to relax your own hair untill you can find a fit stylist. But if you keep calling salons and inquiring about your hair, you should find someone who can do the job. It helps when you bring your own tools and products too. I'm not relaxed but I got my hair straightend and dyed, I gave my stylist my wide tooth comb, my curling wax, and my maxiglide. She oiled my scalp and everything! It took her 3 hours to do my hair, and she didn't complain. She was white, and completely facinated with the process, and that she actually styled my type of hair:lachen:She got a nice tip

hma128

I can't understand that mentality of being afraid to deal with hair thats over 6 weeks post-relaxer. The woman that I went to for a sew-in was appalled that my hair hadn't been relaxed in 10 weeks and she complained about it the whole time she was doing my hair. Lets say that was the last time I was ever going to her for any hair services.

Mz.MoMo5235

lol halo relaxer ey?!? funny, when i 1st started to go natural i thought about doing this so that my edges wouldnt look a mess (i was still getting through my addiction lol).

any whoo, glad you walked out and avoided any issues lol

4evershika

Some "stylists" kill me dead sometimes.

Why in the why in the why would anybody "need" a "halo relaxer" (the name makes me giggle) EVER?! Your edges and nape are the most delicate part of your hair...

and lmao @ dm81's old land lady :lachen:

Mizz Diamonds

I can see your halo, halo, halo I can see you halo. LOL Sorry couldn't help myself, good thing you left. So this is how people are making their hairlines recede.

LushLox

So you're going to walk around with a straight hairline and nape and the rest of your hair is an afro? Okay then....

simplyhair

At first, I thought this was a thread about a new relaxer called Halo. LOL

As I was reading, I was hoping, please don't turn into a hair disaster. SOOO, glad you walked out of there.

Tangie

I'm so glad you walked out. There are way too many people who would have heard all of that and STILL let the stylist do their hair then be back here complaining when they have no hair.