Happy Lent

Zeal

I will be on my journey to the Tomb starting today. So I will not be on the forum much for the next 40 days.

I have been told that "Lent" or "Advent" is a Catholic thing. It is not. It is a Christian thing. I for one practice it. It is a preperation period. You just can't jump into Resurrection. YOu have to prepare and follow the path.It is like a 40 day Revival. I will be blogging for 40 days.

Below is information on this Christian Observance taken from http://www.beaverdambaptist.org/lent.html

Lent & Ash Wednesday: Questions & Answers

What is Lent?
Lent is a 40-day period of penitence and spiritual self-examination which is observed by Christians worldwide.

When does Lent start? End?
Lent begins each year on Ash Wednesday and ends on Easter Sunday.
How does Lent relate to Jesus?
Jesus spent 40 days and nights in the wilderness communing with God and preparing himself for the task he was called to do, as well as resisting the temptation to choose easier, more prideful ways to live out his days. During this time he fasted, which in his day meant that he was on a restricted diet—not that he didn’t eat or drink anything at all.
I count 46 days from Ash Wednesday to Easter. How do you explain that?
Sundays are considered days of rejoicing and celebrating Jesus’ Resurrection. As a result, the Sundays between Ash Wednesday and Easter are not included in the days of penitence and sorrow of the Lenten Season.
Why should I observe Lent? What purpose would it serve?
It is a call to prepare for Easter. During this period of serious reflection, you spend time in self-examination and spiritual redirection. It is a time for you to acknowledge your shortcomings and to seek forgiveness for where you have fallen in your faith. Lent offers you the opportunity to seek spiritual renewal through the practice of prayer and self-denial.
How can I apply it to my life?
Lent is usually observed by practicing some sort of self-denial. Some people skip a meal a day and give the money they would have spent on the meal to a needy individual or group. Whether it be giving up sweets, television, eating out or smoking, usually it is something that we don’t need but do or use habitually, something that will leave a “hole” in our lives. When we give up something for Lent, it is a reminder that we miss it and repent.” We can use the experience of our “desire” for what we gave up as a way to remind us that we often use things other than God to fill our emptiness.
What is Ash Wednesday?
Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of the Lenten Season.
How is Ash Wednesday observed by the church?
There are several traditions, but the most widespread observance is by using ashes (often from the burned palm leaves of the previous year’s Palm Sunday celebration) to mark the forehead of a believer with the sign of a cross.
Why ashes?
The people of the Old Testament used ashes as a sign of mourning (Esther 4:1-3, Job 42:6, Jeremiah 6:26).
Even today, ashes are considered a symbol of death and of nothingness. Ashes remind us of our helplessness and dependence on God. They remind us of our need to mourn our sinful nature, to feel contrition, and to repent so that we may receive God’s forgiveness. They are a symbol of sinfulness and of our commitment to spiritual renewal.
Why are ashes put on the forehead?
The Old Testament tells us that ashes were placed on people’s foreheads during times of fasting, prayer,
repentance and remorse. (2 Samuel 13:19).
Do I have to get marked with the ashes?
No. It is a matter of personal choice.
Do I have to leave the ashes on?
No. You may wipe them off whenever you like. Some Christian traditions encourage letting the ashes “wear
off” on their own, as a public confession of your sinful nature and your remorse. But for some this can be
socially uncomfortable, and for others it can be a source of unholy pride. You do what you feel led to do.
Why observe Ash Wednesday?
It’s an opportunity to gather with fellow believers to publicly acknowledge our sinful nature and to commit
ourselves to a period of serious spiritual reflection.
I heard that Mardi Gras has something to do with Lent. How can that be?
Mardi Gras means “Fat Tuesday” in French. For those who fasted by severely restricting their diets, the
Tuesday before the Beginning of Lent was the last chance to “eat-up” until Easter. They celebrated with food
in a big way. The secular world has seized upon this day as an excuse to “party hardy” . . . much like the
commercialization of Christmas.
Is it necessary for me to celebrate Lent and Ash Wednesday?
No, not at all. You may set aside any time to reflect upon God. However, celebrating Lent and Ash Wednesday does provide a structured way to make sure that you take the time to reflect on your loving God and to assess your relationship with your Creator. And it does so at a time when millions of other Christians are doing the same.
The Season of Lent begins with the ashes that represent our sinfulness and death, but it ends with Easter,
where, through Christ, God resurrects us and makes us new creatures. We recognize our absolute dependence on God, who breathes the Spirit into us . . . so that we may come to life.

God Bless,

Zeal​

Last edited:

Jenaee

Thanks for this post. I will be observing Lent as well. During this time I will be giving up all meat and coffee (which I have been a slave to lately). I am going to use this time to be in constant prayer and communication with the Father.

Zeal

Thanks for this post. I will be observing Lent as well. During this time I will be giving up all meat and coffee (which I have been a slave to lately). I am going to use this time to be in constant prayer and communication with the Father.

God Bless you on your journey. I will be on the Daniel fast. I am giving up TV except for the news. I will be keeping a journal. http://daniel08lent.blogspot.com/ Feel free to view it. I will being praying that God speaks to you and give you your desires.

I just came from Ash Wed service. I was kind of dissapointed because I expected more peple to be there.

The congregation was thanked for the Sacrifice of coming.

Jenaee

God Bless you on your journey. I will be on the Daniel fast. I am giving up TV except for the news. I will be keeping a journal. http://daniel08lent.blogspot.com/ Feel free to view it. I will being praying that God speaks to you and give you your desires.

I just came from Ash Wed service. I was kind of dissapointed because I expected more peple to be there.

The congregation was thanked for the Sacrifice of coming.

I went to Ash Wed service too. We had a blessed time in the Lord. My church is using this Lenten season as a time of prayer. I'm glad I went. I feel like GOD wants to reveal somethings to me and I'm so glad I have this time to really focus and pray about everything that's about to come to pass. I'll be praying for you and for your stength in the Lord.

golden bronze

I participated in Lent for the first time last year, and it changed my entire life. I gave up television, sugar, and I started praying on fruits of the spirit in my life.

It was a challenging time that broke me as a person, but I also saw miracles happen.

Please look into Lent. There is something very special about the people of God praying and fasting for 40 days that can break strongholds. It is so much more than just giving up something, it is about spending 40 days of your life in high devotion to the Lord.