Has Anyone Ever Grown Out a Tapered Short Cut???

JenJen2721

I'm finally feeling good about the health of my hair and now I'm ready to concentrate on growing out this tapered short cut (like the Angela Bassett pic). I could really use some advice from someone who once had a short tapered cut, but now has shoulder length or more hair.

Questions:
1. How long did it take to grow your hair?
2. Did you have to get relaxers more frequently?
3. Is it best to grow hair into a bob style first or just cut it evenly as it grows?

Help? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

P.S. On a side note, I'm taking EFA supplements and my new growth is really, really soft and more manageable than it normally is. I'm thinking about trying to wait before getting a retouch. Would this be wise?

I guess I just need a little encouragement too, that I can do this since I haven't had long hair since I was a little girl. /images/graemlins/angel.gif

Thanks in advance,
Jen

sweetcocoa

When I grew out my tapered cut...she just kept tapering the kitchen while just trimming the very tips of the rest of my hair. As my hair grew out she evened up the bottom layer ...always keeping the kitchen tapered until the bottom row covered it completely and I had an ear length bob. That was the hardest stage. Once I got past the ears I was good to go. It took me 2 years to get shoulder length(and 6 months when I over processsed, dried and fried it to death /images/graemlins/mad.gif...sorry... to ruin it all.

Tracy

Hey Jen /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Welcome.

I had a short cut from 1992-1995. When I began to grow it out I grew out all of my layers first (by basically continuing to cut my hair as if I was keeping it short while evening it out) and this took about 3 haircuts every month and a half or so to achieve. Then, I continued getting the back tapered as my hair grew down over my temples, then my ears and then finally my chin. Once I was at my chin my hair was long enough to cover the nape of my neck so I kept it in a holding pattern - in a swing bob, longer in the front shorter toward the back - until the hair in the back had grown out some. Then I continued growing my hair from there. it took about a year to get to be chin length. I found growing it out as a bob made it easier to keep my hair looking good as it grew. I had tried to start growing it in '94 or so - but trying to work with lots of layers and short hair left me discouraged.

If your new growth is softer and you aren't getting any breakage definitely wait until you can't anymore for your next touch up. Not for "growing out a short cut" related reasons. More just because I think it's better for the hair to be expiosed to chemicals as infrequently as possible.

When I wore my hair short - yes, I relaxed it more. And I did find that it helped to relax more when I was growing out - just because my hair was doing funky things anyway - curly roots and straight ends just added to the dconfusion - so I kept it easy to work with. Now that my hair is longer, I relax no sooner than every two months. Most times longer than that.

Hope this helps. Good luck - and be encouraged! Your hair will grow and if you REALLY want long hair, it will be worth any aggravation (which can be minimized) you might endure.

And if you need encouragement - holla! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

JenJen2721

Ladies,
Thanks so much for the GREAT advice and encouragement. I think growing my hair out into a bob makes more sense and now I have a good time frame on how long it might take and know that it takes patience and perserverence.

I'll definitely be referring to both of your pictures when I need some encouragement. You both have beautiful hair!!!

Thanks again for your help!
Jen /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Leshia

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
JenJen2721 said:
I'm finally feeling good about the health of my hair and now I'm ready to concentrate on growing out this tapered short cut (like the Angela Bassett pic). I could really use some advice from someone who once had a short tapered cut, but now has shoulder length or more hair.

Questions:
1. How long did it take to grow your hair?
2. Did you have to get relaxers more frequently?
3. Is it best to grow hair into a bob style first or just cut it evenly as it grows?

Help? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

P.S. On a side note, I'm taking EFA supplements and my new growth is really, really soft and more manageable than it normally is. I'm thinking about trying to wait before getting a retouch. Would this be wise?

I guess I just need a little encouragement too, that I can do this since I haven't had long hair since I was a little girl. /images/graemlins/angel.gif

Thanks in advance,
Jen

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my third time growing out a short, short tapered cut. I've done it all different ways, from constantly tapering the back and just letting everything grow (while getting it cut even) to braids. I've enjoyed every way of growing it out because I would experiment with each different phase of my grow-out. I didn't have to relax any more than usual, it grew at it's normal rate of probably about 3/4 inch per month or so and it was just fine...HTH!

skegeesmb

Hi. I've grown out a tapered short cut.

1. It's taken me about a good 7 months to grow out my tapered cut. Just like most of the ladies above I got my back cut a lot in order for my hair at the top to catch up.
Right now my length varies from chin to just above collarbone length (my hair has grown since my January picture).

2. Since I went natural, I did not relax. I did flat iron my hair until I had enough hair to do a decent sized puff. That took a long time because I have two different textures, but now I can get most of my hair into a high ponypuff.

3. I think it's a lot easier to keep your hair cut in a bob length so that growing out your hair doesn't look as awkward.

This is my cut May 17, 2002

This is my hair as of January 22, 2003

JenJen2721

WOW /images/graemlins/blush.gif Skegeesmb!
Now that's what I'm talking about!! You did a great job growing out that tapered cut. Your hair's all nice and full and shiny!!! /images/graemlins/rosebud.gif True inspiration!!!

If it's okay, I'll be PMing you guys if I get into any rough situations with this or have additional questions?...but your posts serve as the boost of confidence that I needed.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
/images/graemlins/weird.gif

JenJen2721

Leshia said:
This is my third time growing out a short, short tapered cut. I've done it all different ways, from constantly tapering the back and just letting everything grow (while getting it cut even) to braids. I've enjoyed every way of growing it out because I would experiment with each different phase of my grow-out. I didn't have to relax any more than usual, it grew at it's normal rate of probably about 3/4 inch per month or so and it was just fine...HTH!

[/ QUOTE ]

Leshia,
Your hair is beautiful and your kids are too!! How did you learn how to do your own braids??

Leshia

JenJen2721 said:
Leshia said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Leshia,
Your hair is beautiful and your kids are too!! How did you learn how to do your own braids??

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the compliments! *smile* Have you ever braided your hair without extensions before? It's actually not much different than that. I figured it out really fast when I was in college and couldn't afford to keep paying to get it done! Money sure does "inspire" us to be creative, doesn't it?? *laughing*

Integrity

Skegeesmb!!! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif wow! congratulations i love the thickness and fullness and shine! I LOVE UR HAIR!!!! /images/graemlins/clap.gif keep it up girl. man u got some, did i say i love your unbelieveably natural hair! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

skegeesmb

Thank you sooo much. I love the fact that natural hair is so versatile. It's been a lot of fun learning about my hair (most of the time).