has anyone experienced hair loss after taking...

bellezanegra826

Has anyone experienced hair loss after taking depo provera or any other hormone bc? Most of the online articles about depo state that hair loss is a rare side effect. Has anyone here taken it and experienced hair loss? If so, was it a significant amount of hair loss or did you experience increased shedding? When did the hair loss start ie as soon as you started taking it, after you had been on it awhile, or after you stopped taking it? If you did experience hair loss, was there anything that you did to stop the hair loss? Was the hair loss or any other hair related side effect significant enough to make you stop taking it or change medication? I am allergic to kids and I want to make sure I don't have any anytime soon lol but I'm not sure if I want to take any medication if its going to make me look like bozo the clown or the bearded lady. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you don't want to write a response here. TIA!!!

Natalie76

It caused significant hair loss for me. Pretty much any BC method that contains progesterone has this effect. I had the Mirena IUD (gives off small bursts of progesterone) and it did the same thing. And my doctor duid tell me that my side effects were rare, but for me having chewed upp, broken off thin hair wasnt worth it.

I have friends that have no probs with the Mirena IUD or the shot.

LadyPaniolo

OMG! :shocked: See now... that's yet another reason to stay off hormonal bc.... problem is I need to do something! I'm 30 and I'm heavily preggo with kid #3! I'm not trying to keep popping them at this rate :nono:

I was thinking of doing Mirena and the 2520 OB was like "Oh, no, Mirena isn't systemic hormones, it's just a teeny tiny dose of hormones that are only active in your uterus!!!" Lying :censored: :burnup:!!!!!!!

We had been trying Natural Family Planning :look: but 2 of our kids were conceived that way! :blush: It's hard to resist when I'm ovulating! (sorry if TMI lol)

Shoediva

Former Depo Provera Shot Victim. YES my hair fell out, experience numbness in both legs, blurred vision, blood clots the size of a 1/2 dollar. How I stopped the hair from falling out I stop getting the shot of this dreaded POISON!. The first shot I had no problems. The 2nd shot did me in!.

MizzBrown

Ortho TriCyclen. :nono:

First time trying this BC in college. Wasn't into hair care as it was so when I finally went home one weekend from college to have my mom apply my relaxer, she noticed my hair broken off ALL OVER my head. It was so bad I cried. I didn't pay attention to it b/c i was more focused on the other side effects. Like gaining weight.

Took a looonnngg time for my hair to get back on track after that. Was on it a couple months. As soon as my mom saw my broken off hair, she knew. "you're on the pill, aren't you?" She knew that was a side effect and only something like BC could make my hair fall out in such a manner.

changingSeasons

I Highly Suspect using NuvaRing prompted Shedding and a Small but Noticeable amount of Hair loss. That was the only factor that changed for my body. I noticed this after around the 2nd month. I stopped and the Shedding has decreased and no hair loss. I keep thinking of other causes but cant think of any.

bellezanegra826

OMG. Ya'll got me scared. With the non-hair related side effects that have been described so far, I'm not even sure why this stuff should still be on the market. To my knowledge, depo is the only bc shot (someone correct me if I am wrong). I know that one of my friends takes the bc shot and she has a full head of hair no weaves, wigs or anything. Is there another bc shot that I don't know about? I know that depo comes in two versions, one is the regular amount of hormone and the other is a newer lower dose. For the people who had hair loss, were you on the higher dose or the lower dose? Also I read that people said they had significant breakage, but did the hair loss include significant shedding as well? Did anyone experience this hair loss even when protective styling?

Shoediva

I dont know of 2 diff dosages. But bc just like medicines effect folks differently. I have know so many folks on Depo who experienced the dreaded weight gain. I had the opposite effect. I lost weight. But that surely was not worth the other ill effects.

I know there is a new and improved implant bc that goes in your arm and last for a few years. My neice has this, dont remember the name of it. I'm not fond of that either.

longhairlover

my friends hair thinned out badly from depo vera and never came back from that loss :(
she already had finer hair but it made it worse.

MarieB

I don't remember experiencing hair issues with Depo, but then, I was too occupied by weight gain (which I am still battling), near-constant spotting, elevated blood pressure, and mood swings. I am currently using Mirena, and have no discernable problems with it, but I cannot stress enough how horrible my Depo experience was! I tried it because I was hoping to get off the pill and reduce the impact of my monthlies, instead, I experienced pretty much every negative side effect of oral contraceptives. HTH.

HauteHippie

I was on Depo and I used to experience a lot of shedding. I'm now on Ortho Tricyclen LO and rarely ever experience any shedding at all. I started taking garlic pills b/c I was afraid of other side effects from birth control (it has to do with baking bread, if you get my drift) and it seems like my hair doesn't shed a lot. I also take better care of my hair now, have less stress, and take iron pills (I'm anemic). So, I can't say that the Depo ruined my hair. I can only say that it ruined my skin. Forever. :0(