1. https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/no-maintenance-scheduled.848583/
    Dismiss Notice

Has Anyone Tried The Dyson Airwrap?

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by Theresamonet, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Theresamonet

Theresamonet Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Since I’ve decided to try blow dry stretching my hair for growth (and style— since I’m currently tired of kinky curls), I’ve been researching blow drying tools and came across the Dyson Airwrap.

It seems to get the hair very straight, but with a max heat of 302 degrees. Dyson claims that it can not cause heat damage.

S/N: I was also looking into the Revair, but it’s huge, loud, and reminds me of a penis and scrotum. :look:

Anyone have experience with the Airwrap?

2. Meritamen

Meritamen Mermaiden

Blog Posts:
    I'm curious of the responses too. I only want the firm smoothing brush, wish they sold that by itself.

3. Theresamonet

Blog Posts:
    I agree, I wish that was sold by itself. That’s the reason I’m hesitating. It seems like kinky textures can only really use the firm smoother. The other attachments won’t perform optimally on kinks. I did see a natural using the volumizer attachment to smooth out the roots...

My second option is the $410 cheaper, Revlon paddle brush dryer. But, from the comparisons I’ve seen, the Dyson firm attachment seems to get the hair straighter and smoother using less heat. But is it $410 straighter and smoother? Idk... I’d honestly pay a good chunk of change to avoid heat damage.

prettyinpurple likes this.
  4. prettyinpurple

prettyinpurple Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I guess kinky hair types could use the first brush then follow up with the other attachments if they want. I do hate having a lot of blow dryer attachments that I can't use though.

This product looks fabulous. I want everything Dyson offers lol.

The price made me look twice, even for Dyson. But if it lasts for years and years, it's worth it.

Scasey and Theresamonet like this.
  5. Theresamonet

Blog Posts:
    I want everything they have too! But them prices tho?? I have a Dyson vacuum and that’s it so far.

The thing about the attachments is that they also blow air, and Dyson instructs that they’re used on damp hair. The hot air forms and you set with a cool shot. But the hair has to be damp, I guess to rearrange the hydrogen bonds. This only works on naturally straight hair.

Denim Pixie on YouTube messaged Dyson and they told her to use the smoothing brush first, and then a sea salt spray. I’m assuming any type of setting spray may work.

I think I’ll just order it and try it out. I think even if I only use the smoothing attachment it could be worth the price to eliminate the possibility of heat damage, if it gets my hair just as straight (or straighter) as a hotter blow dryer would. With this I could do a weekly blow out— daily even, if I wanted too. :look:

prettyinpurple likes this.
  6. prettyinpurple

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the explanation.

Yep if you could blow dry as much as you want with no damage, then it's definitely a win.

Theresamonet likes this.
  7. Kanky

Kanky Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Any reviews on this? Ulta has a 20% off hair appliances sale and I am thinking about buying it.

samanthathebrave likes this.
  8. nakialovesshoes

nakialovesshoes Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I have one & I am about to sell my RevAir.

The Dyson had been on backorder FOREVER. I was checking religiously, waiting on them to restock. And when they did, I pounced!

I love this thing! I will say it probably does take just a little more effort and time than the RevAir but I'm so tired of dealing with the bulky equipment. I can throw the Dyson in my luggage & travel with it. Vendors on Ebay even sell custom traveling cases for it.

On another note, I've been using it on its highest setting since I got it & I don't have any heat damage. There's no blow dryer smell after. My hair definitely gets smoother than with the RevAir. If I had've purchased this first, I wouldn't have bothered with the RevAir.

9. Rozlewis

Rozlewis Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    This is making me want to pull out my AirWrap this weekend.

10. B_Phlyy

B_Phlyy Pineapple Eating Unicorn

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    I've wanted to get this but I've heard of issues with this spontaneously dying on people and CS never getting back on how it's to be repaired.

nakialovesshoes likes this.
  11. Lylddlebit

Lylddlebit Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Lylddlebit you know you don't need this. Leave this thread right now!
    :cantlook::curtain:

12. charmtreese

charmtreese Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Whelp! I guess I’ve decided what I’m keeping my eye on come Black Friday/cyber Monday!

13. Theresamonet

Blog Posts:
    UPDATE: I did end up purchasing this back in July and I love it.

14. Theresamonet

Blog Posts:
    The first one I purchased died on the first use, with me having half a head left to blow dry. :angry2: I didn’t have a problem getting a response from customer service and a replacement though. But regardless, not good for something that costs so much to just die like that. The reason I didn’t just return it, was that I had to finish the other half of my head with my Silver Bird, and the Dyson side was so much smoother, straighter, softer, more moisturized feeling, and I finished in half the time. Definitely made me want to give it another shot. So far no problems with the second one.

15. prettyinpurple

Blog Posts:
    Which attachments do you use?

16. Theresamonet

Blog Posts:
    The firm smoothing brush and the volumizer to round brush the ends. Haven’t bothered with the curling attachments yet.

17. Black Ambrosia

Black Ambrosia Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I’m curious enough to give this a try based on the reviews. I hate that so many people have had issues with it dying though. That’s a real quality control problem which is unusual for Dyson. What’s the Ulta return policy? I looked on the Dyson site and it mentions a 30 day return policy which is ridiculous for such a pricey product.

I think I may buy around Black Friday from QVC or do PayPal credit at Ulta online so I can get monthly payments but I can’t do what I normally do and take forever to actually use stuff. I’ll have to use it quickly and repeatedly so I can decide if it needs to go back.

18. nyeredzi

nyeredzi Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I don't know what their return policy is, but probably they have a warranty longer than that.

I want this product, but the price is just too much. I'll have to hate from outside the club.

B_Phlyy and prettyinpurple like this.
  19. prettyinpurple

Blog Posts:
    I'd buy it from somewhere like Bed, Bath and Beyond so I can return it whenever I want. You can't use the coupons on it of course.

That price lol. It had me looking at their regular blow dryer, it's $200 less and I thought it was an insane price when it came out.

But maybe the regular one is enough for me. I don't straighten my hair at all, just stretch it slightly with the blowdryer and get my roots dry before I go to bed. The concentrator on the regular one is probably enough for me.

B_Phlyy and Black Ambrosia like this.
  20. B_Phlyy

B_Phlyy Pineapple Eating Unicorn

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    This is my gripe too, even though it technically shouldn't be. I have enough Ulta points to get either one for free but I just don't know if it'll be a sound investment. I only blowdry my hair in the colder months, and even then, it's only straight for 1 week every 2 months. Part of me wants to believe if I got this and it really cut down on drying time, I'd use it more often. But I also am afraid of heat damage so...