Has Anyone Tried The Dyson Airwrap?

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
You're going to buy the Airwrap and the Supersonic? Why both?
Maybe. It's a mental issue about the semantics, but I almost never heat style my hair. However, when I do, I do all the things (blow out to straighten and then some sort of updo) so all the attachments on the Airwrap would come in handy. But for regular weekly blow outs, the dryer with the comb attachment would be enough.

More than likely, I'll get the newest airwrap and trial it for 4-6 months. If I really feel I still need the dryer, I'll trade in some ULTA points to get a go amount of the price knocked down.

Fine 4s

Maybe. It's a mental issue about the semantics, but I almost never heat style my hair. However, when I do, I do all the things (blow out to straighten and then some sort of updo) so all the attachments on the Airwrap would come in handy. But for regular weekly blow outs, the dryer with the comb attachment would be enough.

More than likely, I'll get the newest airwrap and trial it for 4-6 months. If I really feel I still need the dryer, I'll trade in some ULTA points to get a go amount of the price knocked down.
They allow 4-6 month trial time?!!!!

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
They allow 4-6 month trial time?!!!!
Probably not lol. My intention is to get the Airwrap to have forever. However, if I still determine the brush and curling attachments aren't enough, l'll add the regular dryer later.

Lylddlebit

I purchased the special edition Vinca Blue/Rose Long version along with the with the Wide Tooth comb attachment today. I considered waiting for a Labor day sale but decided I was just ready to have it. The color combination isn't a deal breaker to me. If they had black on black or all silver that would've been my preference but all the other combinations don't make much of a difference to me. I hope I like it.

Lylddlebit

I finally received it. It took longer than estimated because my first shipment was declared a loss by UPS but I ordered a back up once it went missing (I knew it was gone when it went from "out for delivery" followed by no movement for 2 subsequent days days :look::spinning::confused: . Since I didn't want the specific set on Dyson's website to sell out before I got it, I ordered a back up the day I filed the claim. The set on Dyson gives a wide tooth comb and paddle brush that some of the other limited edition sets with the same price do not and I wanted every perk I could get for that price tag). I just got a refund on the original order once the claim finished and kept the second order(which was delivered without an issue). Ordering the second one also allowed me to take advantage of a Rakuten Labor day discount and save ~50 bucks, so I benefited from the lost package.

This is my first impression: I am happy with this device. I saw a lot of videos of afro textured hair saying it didn't work, but I found all the videos I watched on youtube where the black women had poor curling results demonstrated a trend of women drawing the wand towards then away from their head in a pumping motion instead of rolling the hair up then letting it set and releasing the curl like you would use a curler. I found that just twisting the device will catch the hair and allow you to roll up with tension better than trying to use the wand and pulling it like you can a tension roller. I just takes some practice and you have to be patient to allow the hair to catch as you twist the wand. My curls lasted a while but these photos are my first try, so, I feel confident I will get better results with practice. I used this method:
  • Spray already stretched hair for slight moisture (I tried Tresseme heat tamer on some parts and the discontinued 'Tigi Spoil Me' on other parts...the hairspray parts had better hold by the day's end. I will play around with setting products like lottabody and mousse as time goes on to see what works best)
  • Turn on device then allow the ends of the parted section to wrap around the wand
  • Start twisting the wand until I can get some tension on the loosely wrapped ends before rolling the full section around the wand tightly
  • Once the ends wrap around the wand, roll the hair up and around the barrel like you would use a curler or curling iron(twist for tension trying to pull like a tension roller did not work lol)
  • hold long enough to set (I haven't figured out of the cool shot makes a difference yet...I will practice more to determine)
  • release by pulling the curler out (don't disturb the set curl when pulling the wand out...doing so will mess up your curl and make your curls drop quickly).
  • About halfway through my hair I started pinning the curs because the wand would snatch up hair that was already curled and mess my "neat" curls up to become more messy. Next time I am going to pin from start to finish to prevent that from happening. I didn't re-curl the messy curls...lol I will try again next time lol.
I do believe this can work well on afro textured hair when the barrels are used like a curler. I did test all the attachments on small sections and I like them. I did stretch the back right of my hair with the Airwrap brush and comb attachments. Although I didn't like the way the soft brush attachment snagged my hair, I really liked all the other attachments. That surprised me because this is the first time I have found brush attachments that I like.

I stretched my hair using the Revair on 80% of my hair and Airwap on 20% of my hair(firm brush, soft brush, comb attachment and found brush). I used the Airwrap 1.2in barrel all over for curls. I typically do not like brush attachments but I am very pleased with these. Sorry the whole head photos are not as clear as the close up curls. Auto focus was acting up on me when trying to take pictures on my Canon so I switched to phone photography. I meant to smooth the front with the Coanda for the photo but I got distracted and forgot. That said, I did test the Coanda attachment yesterday and noticed it worked. I can see myself using that to smooth natural ponytails/puffs or on the perimeter of my stretched + "Airwrapped" hair. I just forgot to do it this time around. I also plan on buying the .8 inch barrel in the future. Tighter curls that naturally drop tend to last longer. That is good for me because I very rarely curl my hair more than once a month and I like to make sure curls last as long as possible when I do curl it. I think that is all for now.

ETA: Picture of the device. I like the color better in person than on the website. Very vivid.

Attachments

• IMG_20220911_115923999.jpg
    IMG_20220911_115923999.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Airwrapfront.jpeg
    Airwrapfront.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 47
  • Same curl first attempt then tighter.jpg
    Same curl first attempt then tighter.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Airwrap.jpeg
    Airwrap.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Mapleoats

I finally received it. It took longer than estimated because my first shipment was declared a loss by UPS but I ordered a back up once it went missing (I knew it was gone when it went from "out for delivery" followed by no movement for 2 subsequent days days :look::spinning::confused: . Since I didn't want the specific set on Dyson's website to sell out before I got it, I ordered a back up the day I filed the claim. The set on Dyson gives a wide tooth comb and paddle brush that some of the other limited edition sets with the same price do not and I wanted every perk I could get for that price tag). I just got a refund on the original order once the claim finished and kept the second order(which was delivered without an issue). Ordering the second one also allowed me to take advantage of a Rakuten Labor day discount and save ~50 bucks, so I benefited from the lost package.

This is my first impression: I am happy with this device. I saw a lot of videos of afro textured hair saying it didn't work, but I found all the videos I watched on youtube where the black women had poor curling results demonstrated a trend of women drawing the wand towards then away from their head in a pumping motion instead of rolling the hair up then letting it set and releasing the curl like you would use a curler. I found that just twisting the device will catch the hair and allow you to roll up with tension better than trying to use the wand and pulling it like you can a tension roller. I just takes some practice and you have to be patient to allow the hair to catch as you twist the wand. My curls lasted a while but these photos are my first try, so, I feel confident I will get better results with practice. I used this method:
  • Spray already stretched hair for slight moisture (I tried Tresseme heat tamer on some parts and the discontinued 'Tigi Spoil Me' on other parts...the hairspray parts had better hold by the day's end. I will play around with setting products like lottabody and mousse as time goes on to see what works best)
  • Turn on device then allow the ends of the parted section to wrap around the wand
  • Start twisting the wand until I can get some tension on the loosely wrapped ends before rolling the full section around the wand tightly
  • Once the ends wrap around the wand, roll the hair up and around the barrel like you would use a curler or curling iron(twist for tension trying to pull like a tension roller did not work lol)
  • hold long enough to set (I haven't figured out of the cool shot makes a difference yet...I will practice more to determine)
  • release by pulling the curler out (don't disturb the set curl when pulling the wand out...doing so will mess up your curl and make your curls drop quickly).
  • About halfway through my hair I started pinning the curs because the wand would snatch up hair that was already curled and mess my "neat" curls up to become more messy. Next time I am going to pin from start to finish to prevent that from happening. I didn't re-curl the messy curls...lol I will try again next time lol.
I do believe this can work well on afro textured hair when the barrels are used like a curler. I did test all the attachments on small sections and I like them. I did stretch the back right of my hair with the Airwrap brush and comb attachments. Although I didn't like the way the soft brush attachment snagged my hair, I really liked all the other attachments. That surprised me because this is the first time I have found brush attachments that I like.

I stretched my hair using the Revair on 80% of my hair and Airwap on 20% of my hair(firm brush, soft brush, comb attachment and found brush). I used the Airwrap 1.2in barrel all over for curls. I typically do not like brush attachments but I am very pleased with these. Sorry the whole head photos are not as clear as the close up curls. Auto focus was acting up on me when trying to take pictures on my Canon so I switched to phone photography. I meant to smooth the front with the Coanda for the photo but I got distracted and forgot. That said, I did test the Coanda attachment yesterday and noticed it worked. I can see myself using that to smooth natural ponytails/puffs or on the perimeter of my stretched + "Airwrapped" hair. I just forgot to do it this time around. I also plan on buying the .8 inch barrel in the future. Tighter curls that naturally drop tend to last longer. That is good for me because I very rarely curl my hair more than once a month and I like to make sure curls last as long as possible when I do curl it. I think that is all for now.

ETA: Picture of the device. I like the color better in person than on the website. Very vivid.
Wait... there's a comb attachment for the airwrap now????

beautiful results as well! The airwrap is still my go to, even though I now also have the supersonic, the airwrap has my heart

LushLox

There is indeed a comb attachment for it. I contacted their customer services to see if I could get a free one (yes I did repurchase the airwrap :look: ) only to be told, "that promotion is over." I was quite p.issed off about it really, I got one free for my Supersonic.

I much prefer the longer curling barrels, I can achieve a better curl now.

Lylddlebit

@LushLox
There sure is a comb attachment now. You can get it on the Sephora sale this week if you want to buy it. It wasn't out of stock last time I checked. The .8 barrel was sold out on the sale(I would have bought that) but the comb attachment is still available. It works pretty well.

Last edited:

Mapleoats

Y'all got me down a rabbit hole. I haven't been on the site in 2 months, I come in here ONCE and my wallet is open :lachen: In addition to the comb attachment, there's the new smoothing attachment, new firming brush which is re-engineered for better air flow... I'm gonna purchase them all loool.

they even updated the barrels but I don't use those so I'll skip. BUT now that I've seen your beautiful results and I feel our hair is very similar @Lylddlebit I might give them another chance.

Lylddlebit

@Lylddlebit how do you feel about the revair vs the airwrap? I ended up selling my revair after I got the airwrap because I loved it so much
Love them both for what they are made for. The Revair the best low manipulation tool to stretch hair that I have ever used. It is an excellent dryer(I have three of them :look:). The Dyson Airwrap is the best multi-tuse tool I own. I am still learning to use it but I love the initial impression and it and would use this for travel...if I were traveling. I would not travel with the Revair. At home I actually use the Revair to stretch dry then style using the Airwrap. I like them both so far. I have just use the Revair for a longer period of time, but give me a year and I will have the Dyson on lock lol. I see it's potential but I am still new to using it.

LushLox

@LushLox
There sure is a comb attachment now. You can get it on the Sephora sale this week if you want to buy it. It wasn't out of stock last time I checked. The .8 barrel was sold out on the sale(I would have bought that) but the comb attachment is still available. It works pretty well.

Oh yeah I know you can buy it. It's the fact that I need to buy it which annoys me slightly. I got it for free with the hair dryer.

Nevermind if I want to use a comb attachment I can do so on my Supersonic, it's not really a major issue.

Last edited:

Lylddlebit

Results were much better yesterday.

Stretched natural hair with Revair, applied some Jane Carter's wrap and roll (discontinued) to my hair, applied some airwrap curls that I pinned for about an hour, then let my hair down. These photos are an hour or 2 after I let my curls down. I apologize for the gap in the back. I found a hidden clip after I took the photo and that is causing the gap(good thing I stayed at home lol). Next time I will curl smaller sections in the back. I curled smaller sections in the front and those curls were much neater and the barrel curls started from the roots better. My curls did fall by night but they held up pretty well all day. Results will continue to improve with practice. I plan a cut for Christmas so I will proably try the airwap on pressed hair in December or January.

Attachments

• AirwrapCurlsThanksgiving.jpeg
    AirwrapCurlsThanksgiving.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Back.jpeg
    Back.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Lylddlebit

I put some airwrap curls in hair that as already straightened yesterday. It curled straightened hair just fine but the curls I didn't pin dropped by the time my whole head was finished. The curls I did pin gave me volume, but fell within 2 hours. On the Dyson2 photo the two completely straight pieces are the curls that feel completely within an hour. 2 hours later, after raking through with a wide tooth comb, they all fell lol. I could probably get the curls to last longer with a stronger hairspray but it was a worthy test.

Attachments

• FrontCurlsminutes after taking pincurlsdown1.jpg
    FrontCurlsminutes after taking pincurlsdown1.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 2hourslater1.jpg
    2hourslater1.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Dyson2.jpg
    Dyson2.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

LushLox

Great results @Lylddlebit it definitely doest take multiple attempts to start getting good results, alongside figuring out the best styling product to use and techniques to employ.

I like the Airwrap but my only negative with it, is it does take me a long time to do my whole head because I need to take small sections, plus all of the pinning up. However it feels like a healthier way to curl/straighten, and I like the volume that I get with it so I'll perservere.

Last edited: