Has using MTG ruined your Silver??

Dogmd

Okay.. this may be a little off-topic...but I noticed in another post many people who were using MTG on their hair complained that the sulphur ruined their silver. Well I posted this in another area... but wanted as many members to be able to restore their silver if possible.... so here is a re-post!!!

Hey all of you silver wearers...

Don't toss out your tarnished silver jewelry.. If you happen to get some MTG on it...here is a quick way to remove it..Learned this is chemistry class!!

take a piece of aluminum foil...use it to line a small glass bowl...mix a 1-2 tsp of salt plus 1 tablespoon of vinegar plus 3-4 tablespoons of warm water together in the bowl and quickly place your tarnished silver in it. Rinse well with warm water and dry. Color should turn back to silver in less than 2 seconds!!

It works the best on newly tarnished pieces...if you have allowed the silver to sit with the sulphur on it for very long, it permanently discolors the silver. The acid in the vinegar breaks the sulphur bonds and liberates it in the air once it hits the salt and water.. You can actually smell the sulphur once the reaction starts.. smells like rotten eggs.

I use this mixture to polish my silver regularly... You don't have to buy that expensive silver polishing stuff they sell.

Happy MTG use and Happy Silver polishing!!!

My aunt use to clean her silver bracletets with ammonia.

She set it up the same way covering a bowl with aluminum foil puttine ammonia in the bowl and then placing the silver jewlery in the bowl. Don not leave it in there past 5 mintues though (don't know why she never told me)

Anyway her silver bracletes ALWAYS come out sparkling clean and shinier than ever before. it tried it at home and it worked!

I want to try the vinegar though

Question what about gold that has been ruined because of the gold/copper mix (i.e NOT 24 karat but 14 or 18)

Thanks girl, that was really helpful information!

Now.... what about for folks who have ruined fabric/clothes??!!! :lol: I bought my BF a beautiful and EXPENSIVE navy blue/burgandy paisley Polo comforter last Christmas. And.... within a few weeks, there was a big ole' MTG grease stain right in the middle. I was angrier with myself than he was, because I knew it could have been avoided. *sigh* I usually wash my hair of MTG on the weekends, because I know Im going over there.... and I had done so this wknd as well. But I was laying on the bed wearing a scarf that hadnt been washed since I last used MTG. And even though the scarf appeared dry and MTG-free to the touch, it apparently still had some of the oil set in deep. So we were playing and tousling around on the bed, and a few days later I noticed a big ole' unsightly grease stain and knew immedietely where it had come from! :mad:

So my follow-up (and slightly off topic) question is: Has anyone had success getting a large MTG stain out of fabric, whether it be cotton/silk/sateen/etc? Ive machine washed stuff that was stained (back when I was an MTG novice, foolishly sleeping without a plastic cap under my scarf), but to no avail. I actually offered to pay to get the comforter dry cleaned for him, but I don't want to waste my money if I know even the cleaners can't get it out. So if anyone knows of any good products for oil stain-removal, please let a sista know! :grin:

Last edited:
Dogmd,

My problem is that as soon as I wear a piece of silver jewelry, within 30 minutes it tarnishes again. I also take MSM which is a sulfur derivative. AT this point, I think I'm just doomed so I have to stick with my white gold.

This is a good thread for the MTG users. I had some pretty silver hoops from JC Penny that got ruined from MTG. I got mad and threw them away...I should have waited. I don't use MTG anymore....I think the negatives outweigh the benifits IMO. :ohwell: Although my hair grew and filled in a bald spot in my kitchen area, it stains, smells, and i think it made my scalp burn when I got my touchup even though I hadn't used it since 2 weeks prior. I still have most of the bottle so I MAY try it again sometime in the future.

But thanks for the info!!

Awesome advice! It's all coming back to me now reading this thread (chemistry class).

I know I was Livid when my Tiffanys bracelet turned purple and black. I almost had a cow. Luckily I didnt panic and toss it. I used silver polish and scrubbed the mess out of it and then through it in one of those liquid jar jewlery cleaners and voila!!! My braclet was blinging again. Otherwise I would've been rolling on the ground with that bottle of MTG.

Although it smells like gasoline and turns my jewlery colors, nothing grows my hair faster. I just drop some peppermint and almond oil in it and make sure my neck, hands and ears are clean b4 I put anything on, anything!

Thank you for the GOOD advice,But what about Gold? and white gold?

to the poster who wanted to know how to get it out of her boyfriends stuff...add vinegar to the washing machine! normal vinegar.....

HTH

wantlonghealthyhair said:
Thank you for the GOOD advice,But what about Gold? and white gold?

to the poster who wanted to know how to get it out of her boyfriends stuff...add vinegar to the washing machine! normal vinegar.....

HTH

Oooh, thanks girl. I will try it first with a couple of pillow cases of mine that i had ruined, and then i'll do it with his stuff. THANK YOU. :grin:

Hi you all.. glad this helps you all.. My yellow gold and white gold is not affected by the MTG... For the oil and sulphur in clothes.. I usually use vinegar as well...but I also presoak the spot in DAWN Soap... it will grab oil better than anything else I have tried. Then just toss it in the wash after soaking for about 10 minutes with the dawn and vinegar!!

Now I use a fine spray botle to apply the MTG so I don't get any MTG anywhere else just on my scalp. I don't apply it to my hair length.. so now its under control. I also only apply it 1x per week. And I wash it out after the 3rd or fourth day!

I guess I need to avoid touching my hair at all. What do you guys think about MSM? Do you take it and do you have the same difficulty with silver jewelry?

REConsul said:
I guess I need to avoid touching my hair at all. What do you guys think about MSM? Do you take it and do you have the same difficulty with silver jewelry?

I take 3000mg MSM powder 2x daily and no effect on my silver!

Back