Has Your Washing Hair Frequency Increased With Having Natural Hair?

Has your hair washing frequency increased since being natural.

• Yes

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • no

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • It’s about the same

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • It depends

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RossBoss

Yes, I'm a daily washer now that I'm natural and it has not hindered my retention at all. When I was relaxed I washed twice per week but now that I'm natural I wash with a gentle shampoo bar every morning before work. I just soak my hair and do a few swipes of the shampoo bar, scrub a little and rinse out, then detangle with a conditioner. Very low manipulation and have suffered no problems whatsoever.

LiLi

It has reduced drastically for me. When I was relaxed, I washed daily. This was the reason for me getting past bra strap quickly.

I tried that since I’ve been natural and my hair tangles too badly and is so much more fragile - even though I braid it before washing. Plus I have to wear my scarf for about two hours just to make it not look so frizzy.

So now I wash every other week.

guyaneseyankee

When I first went natural, I was a daily washer. (or wetter anyway)
As my hair is growing, and I'm becoming lazier, I now only wash on Sundays.
I've always attributed my hair growth to wetting everyday (like a plant was my philosophy) I'm curious if my growth slowed down with less frequent washing. I'll have to watch for my theory in the immediate future.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
When I first went natural I washed more frequently. Now I wash every 2-3 weeks. I washed every 1-2 weeks when I was relaxed.
Exactly this. Even though I PROMISE myself that I’m going to wash weekly I just don’t want to detangle, manipulate, and spend so much time on my hair every week. I still haven’t admitted to myself that I’m an every other-week washer.

blackeyes31626

Nope!
Yes, I'm a daily washer now that I'm natural and it has not hindered my retention at all. When I was relaxed I washed twice per week but now that I'm natural I wash with a gentle shampoo bar every morning before work. I just soak my hair and do a few swipes of the shampoo bar, scrub a little and rinse out, then detangle with a conditioner. Very low manipulation and have suffered no problems whatsoever.
How long is your hair and what's your hair type?
Also what shampoo bar are you using?

prettyinpurple

Exactly this. Even though I PROMISE myself that I’m going to wash weekly I just don’t want to detangle, manipulate, and spend so much time on my hair every week. I still haven’t admitted to myself that I’m an every other-week washer.
Yep every two weeks here too. Well ideally anyways lol. It takes too much time to do it more often.

Britt

This right here sounds like a dream to me. Do you have a short cut ???

RossBoss

This right here sounds like a dream to me. Do you have a short cut ???

Yes, ear length but it is growing along nicely. I expect to be close to SL by the end of the year. I have 4a hair, my curls are like corkscrews.

Neomorph

Yes! When my hair was in a TWA I would wash twice a week and wet it everyday. Now I wash it once a week. This is way better for my hair since I have eczema on my scalp.

When I was relaxed, my hair would get washed at the hair salon every 2-3 weeks.

Aggie

My washing has gone down. When I was relaxed, I washed and treated my hair twice a week and now that I'm not, it happens once a week. I don't care to touch it that often anymore since detangling is harder to do now.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
I feel like such a dirty bird, when I was relaxed I washed my hair every two weeks. I just did what momma told me to do :lol: Now I cowash daily, I shampoo once a week, sometimes twice if I just feel gross after a gym day and cowashing doesn't cut it.

It's not that I need to wash more, it's that I'm not afraid to. I had the misconception that you can't wash relaxed hair. :\

NaturallyATLPCH

I washed once a week relaxed. I workout a whole lot more natural (have been since I have gone natural for 7 years) and I cleanse quite frequently to get rid of the sweat in my head (sometimes three, four times a week). My hair has actually been doing better washing more frequently than when I only cleansed weekly.

Kudos to people that can go longer. After a week, my scalp starts talking to me.