Have you ever brought something for your hair and it was a waste?

Lilmama1011

Brought a "donut" ( used to make a bun) from the beauty supply and was so excited so I can wear buns and that would be my protective style and I go to make a bun and my hair is too thin, I was so mad, my mom did it and said it covers but that would mean I would need someone to do it every time or risk going outside with the "donut" showing. I was so disappointed and the donut is too thick, they have small and large one and I got small and my hair is long enough but it's too thin and don't want to use a sock because it will soak up the moisture in my hair. So have you every brought something that wasn't for your hair and was disappointed? Want to hear yal stories :)

Iluvsmuhgrass

Girl yesssss. I ran out and bought Kinky Curly Curling Custard because it was supposed to be oh so incredible. I tried it all kinds of ways and it left my hair a hot, dry, crunchy mess. I also went out to get Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner. :nono: It didn't work for me AT ALL. I tried it as a conditioner, as a leave in, in a moisture mix and nothing worked.....and the smell was so loud it was nauseating. Definitely not for me.

Lilmama1011

Iluvsmuhgrass said:
Girl yesssss. I ran out and bought Kinky Curly Curling Custard because it was supposed to be oh so incredible. I tried it all kinds of ways and it left my hair a hot, dry, crunchy mess. I also went out to get Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner. :nono: It didn't work for me AT ALL. I tried it as a conditioner, as a leave in, in a moisture mix and nothing worked.....and the smell was so loud it was nauseating. Definitely not for me.

Wow, I thought the custard was good

RocStar

Have you ever brought something for your hair and it was a waste?

Umm....yes.

Probably millions of dollars. :nono::nono:

Ok, not millions, but a lot.

wednesday

I LOL at the title of this thread.....GIRL i shed a tears thinking about money i've wasted on products that did NOTHING at all for my hair. I have many many many stories. I'll have to come back to this thread to post!!! lol.

Dposh167

that crappy QP mango butter that everyone loves so much. That ish is crap
Curls asian hair tea conditioner was a complete waste of money. i still have the bottle too

Lilmama1011

poochie167 said:
that crappy QP mango butter that everyone loves so much. That ish is crap
Curls asian hair tea conditioner was a complete waste of money. i still have the bottle too

Mango butter is too heavy, I got half a jar left because I was refusing to throw it away but then I gave up and my mom or sis didn't want to use it so in the garbage it went!

Lilmama1011

wednesday said:
I LOL at the title of this thread.....GIRL i shed a tears thinking about money i've wasted on products that did NOTHING at all for my hair. I have many many many stories. I'll have to come back to this thread to post!!! lol.

Wow, can't wait to hear them :)

LuvlyRain3

Yep all the time. Lately I have been having more luck with new products. I think it's because I know what type of products to stay away from now.

chelseatiara

Brought a "donut" ( used to make a bun) from the beauty supply and was so excited so I can wear buns and that would be my protective style and I go to make a bun and my hair is too thin, I was so mad, my mom did it and said it covers but that would mean I would need someone to do it every time or risk going outside with the "donut" showing. I was so disappointed and the donut is too thick, they have small and large one and I got small and my hair is long enough but it's too thin and don't want to use a sock because it will soak up the moisture in my hair. So have you every brought something that wasn't for your hair and was disappointed? Want to hear yal stories :)

@lilmama Why dont you use a little hand mirror, like a make-up mirror, to check your bun in a big mirror :yep: I use to do that all the time or use my cell phone to snap a quick pic lol

ETA: I second that motion on the Elasta QP Mango butter crap. Just mad my hair heavy and greasy....but I was relaxed at the time.....hmmm

Any way other crap:

Proclaim cholesterol (gave me headaches, left my hair tangled and smelly :/ )
anything else ive probably already tossed, used up, or gave away by now

Last edited:

WyrdWay

Lilmama1011 said:

You could use a pair of tights or stockings, just use a material that won't wick moisture away so bad. :D you could also rap some weave hair around your donut

choctaw

jamilla henna --> Dulhan, Naajo, Mumtaz ... ANY BAQ henna from Indian grocer released more dye

Ojon restorative treatment --> palm butter feels good but smells like an ashtray; buy the palm oil for a fraction of the $60 price tag and skip the cigarette fragrance

Cantu shea butter no drip hair oil --> experience the Valdez oil slick :lachen: do not use for oil rinses in NYC during winter (might be the shea oil?)

Cantu shea butter leave-in --> best used for henna gloss, makes golf balls in your hair when combined with certain products

Miss Jessie's Butter Cream --> coats hair like Armor All wheel protectant, great for swimming in chlorine pool without a cap

Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue ---> coats hair like Armor All wheel protectant, great for swimming in chlorine pool without a cap

Freeman sea kelp conditioner --> very nice rich, inexpensive, thick conditioner with small opening in cheap container: like pushing a camel through the eye of a needle

Tigi Moisture Maniac --> NO moisture, use in oil rinse to prevent dry hair; NEVER combine in oil rinse with Cantu shea butter no drip hair oil in cold weather :lachen::lachen:

Clovis Almond Oil (TJ Maxx?) --> smells like rancid oil from deep fryer

LifeafterLHCF

A many of things and Im not balling so it sucks and I try to make other uses for them.Ie the V05 conditioners not good for my hair but make good for my wig cowashes..I have even bought wigs that I thought were cute in store then got them home and it wasn't the same..I will be throwing some more stuff away like S-Curl away today as its not good and another vote on the QP Mango butter..I like crisco so much its everything I wanted the mango butter to be.

Lilmama1011

WyrdWay said:
You could use a pair of tights or stockings, just use a material that won't wick moisture away so bad. :D you could also rap some weave hair around your donut

Will try stocking

Lilmama1011

choctaw said:
jamilla henna --> Dulhan, Naajo, Mumtaz ... ANY BAQ henna from Indian grocer released more dye

Ojon restorative treatment --> palm butter feels good but smells like an ashtray; buy the palm oil for a fraction of the $60 price tag and skip the cigarette fragrance

Cantu shea butter no drip hair oil --> experience the Valdez oil slick :lachen: do not use for oil rinses in NYC during winter (might be the shea oil?)

Cantu shea butter leave-in --> best used for henna gloss, makes golf balls in your hair when combined with certain products

Miss Jessie's Butter Cream --> coats hair like Armor All wheel protectant, great for swimming in chlorine pool without a cap

Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue ---> coats hair like Armor All wheel protectant, great for swimming in chlorine pool without a cap

Freeman sea kelp conditioner --> very nice rich, inexpensive, thick conditioner with small opening in cheap container: like pushing a camel through the eye of a needle

Tigi Moisture Maniac --> NO moisture, use in oil rinse to prevent dry hair; NEVER combine in oil rinse with Cantu shea butter no drip hair oil in cold weather :lachen::lachen:

Clovis Almond Oil (TJ Maxx?) --> smells like rancid oil from deep fryer

Wow! That's a lot of disappointments :(

silenttullip

a few things about 10 I keep them on a list in my journal so I never repurchase. the worst 3 bb mayo and honey
Cantu Shea butter leave in (horrible wish I could sue)
elasta qp oil moisturizer (ever fried your hair with a hot comb or relaxer? You know how dry it feels? Yea that but on natural hair!)

Lilmama1011

silenttullip said:
a few things about 10 I keep them on a list in my journal so I never repurchase. the worst 3 bb mayo and honey
Cantu Shea butter leave in (horrible wish I could sue)
elasta qp oil moisturizer (ever fried your hair with a hot comb or relaxer? You know how dry it feels? Yea that but on natural hair!)

I use the cantu leave I but I had that jar for like a year, it doesn't do anything bad to my hair but doesn't make it any better so I used it with water in a spray bottle to moisturize hair when roller setting but now I'm using Shea moisture hold and curl spray so I abandoned the cantu leave in again, it slowly making it to the trash. Lol

silenttullip

oh I'm late on the hold and curl how do you like it? I may try it for twistous

I use the cantu leave I but I had that jar for like a year, it doesn't do anything bad to my hair but doesn't make it any better so I used it with water in a spray bottle to moisturize hair when roller setting but now I'm using Shea moisture hold and curl spray so I abandoned the cantu leave in again, it slowly making it to the trash. Lol

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Yeah, I'm sure it's up in the triple digits by now :lol: but its cool because now I know what works and what doesn't.

Listing would take forever but a there have been countless shampoos, conditioners, leave-ins, hair accessories and my hair has been like nuh-uh :nono:

candy626

Absolutely. More then half of the products I have ever bought were a waste.
Elasta QP Mango Butter, QP Design Silk, Mixed Silk Shampoo, Silk Elements Sulfatre Free Shampoo, Silk Elements Mousse Leave in, LottaBody setting lotions (all of em), and that's just to name a few.

lilyofthenile

Yup, a number of hair products which I've just given away.

Also things like brushes combs and Tangle Teezers which I don't even use. Again, letting others just use it as they please.

shasha8685

any type of cholesterol

that Curlicious Curls "shampoo." I have never been upset during the use of a product...until I used that crap.

NicWhite

Yes. Many things. The most memorable being "sublime sulfur". It would give me the worst headaches ever. :nono: Used it for about a month :look: before I decided the pain was not worth the gain. :perplexed

Guitarhero

Bought something useless despite their claims of success? I have a whole cabinet of junk...well, 2 closets-full of JUNK! And I keep on doing it. So I got smarter, I look at the clearance aisles of Ulta, Gabriels, Sally's, any beauty shop or store selling beauty items and I pay less for still more junk. Then I discovered Dollar General. Help me Jesus! I now have a whole line of Organics olive oil stuff, even their gel and it's surprisingly EXCELLENT! So, I'm a junkie. Make mine HAIR-oine. Elastics hair bands and pretty faux Ficcare clips are my vein popper and stying tools are my needle. I'm a junkie, for realz. I even make up my hair-oine as a mixologist. :nono: Curse LHCF :lachen:. But I was born this way then I discovered others just as sick as me who keep feeding me my drug. :lol:

Last edited: