Have you ever brought something for your hair and it was a waste?

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
A huge, huge container of Silicon Mix.... ugh, I don't know what to do with it either... :nono:

prospurr4

Yes!

I bought a flat iron and only used it about two times. Then, I discovered that direct heat AND chemicals were too much stress for my hair. So I had to choose between being a natural who straighens with direct heat OR texlaxing my hair and straightening it with rollersets.

I picked texlaxing and the flat iron has been gathering dust ever since 2005...same goes for the curling iron and blow dryer, too. :nono:

Ediese

I've tried a lot of products since being on this site, and have had some good and some bad results. My last 'miss' was the mud shampoo/conditioner. Aubrey organics didn't work either. I've ended up using all of the bad products on my legs for shaving purposes. lol

My holy grails are very limited. My hair LOVES giovanni leave-in. It hates kinky curly custard and knot today. However, it loves the ingredients in KimmyTube's conditioner, which contains Knot today. I like herbal essence as a cowashing conditioner, and Kenra Moisturizing conditioner as a deep conditioner. I just recently bought ABBA moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, and I hope those work well. I think the shampoo is sulfate free, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I think my steamer was a good investment too.

I think I have all the products I need to move forward. I'm done jumping on bandwagons. It took me almost 5 years to reach to this point though, and a lot of $$ down the drain and setbacks to my hair. The thing is you'll never really know what works when you first start out until you experiment, so I suppose it wasn't a complete waste. What works for one definitely is not guaranteed to work for everyone, regardless of if that person is your 'hair twin'.

ToSelahWithLove

I literally have a list of all of the things I've bought since I started my hair journey and it's up there in the 40s I believe. :nono:

Most of it was bought during the first 6 months, when I was trying to "learn" my hair. After the first month, however, I wised up... I only shopped at places where you could use a product and return it if you didn't like it -- i.e. Target, CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, Whole Foods, Ulta, Sephora, Sallys.... (basically everywhere except for Beauty supply stores). That way I wasn't out hundreds of dollars like I could have been.

I haven't bought any new product in about 2 years, because I know what works and I've stuck with it... no more experimenting.

InBloom

In my new-growth
Giovanni products - left me with hard hair
Aloe Vera - left me with hard, tangled hair - was the cause of a major setback
Neutrogena Triple Moisture condish - tangled mess
Neutrogena Triple Moisture Leave in - gunky, heavy hair
Elasta QP butter - greasy hair
Its a 10 leave in - I liked the softness, but it seemed to make me SHED like crazy
Evening Primrose Oil supplements - tender boobs and very frequent menstrual cycles
Bee Mine scalp oil - sulfur too strong even with the scent added
Moroccanoil products - not sure why, but this system made my hair feel funny (soft and dry??) seemed to do more damage in the long run -breakage

Underwhelming products:
Ojon
Porosity Control line
Silk Elements line
CHI SI
CHI line
Kerastase - just not sure

Naming a few off the top of my head...

cheryl26

Yes, I don't even wanna think of how much money I've wasted:nono:
Coppola keratin treatment- no significant results
Coppola keratin infusion- " "
QOD Max- on my ~7th wash and it looks the same as before WTF
Tons of random hair gels, sprays, masques etc

bronzebomb

I don't have any strong dislikes.

I only dislike the cost of Miss Jessie's (I like the line)

I have a few lines that I will not purchase again because of spoilage or long shipping times. (Mozeke and HairVeda, and possibly AfroVeda) I also will not purchase lines that have poor customer service or have rude comments on FaceBook that are not addressed (Bear Fruit Hair) And I don't like crooks with my money (Enso).

Ironically I :love: HairVeda's Sitrinillah, Mozeke's Carrot Protein, and AfroVeda's Curl Define). BFH bottles were too cumbersome as well. And something is a little fishy about ENSO. Has anyone heard from them? Which leads me to believe that the assumptions are true.

I don't think I am going to try the new lines. I am a recovering product junkie (and I like it)

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
poochie167 said:
that crappy QP mango butter that everyone loves so much. That ish is crap
Curls asian hair tea conditioner was a complete waste of money. i still have the bottle too

LOLOLOLOLOO!!!! Girl I keep QP Mango butter in my pantry 6 jars at a time. I loooooove that stuff! *yummy*

beana

Yes, about 75% of the products i've ever purchased were a complete waste of money. Here are some that come to mind immediately:

Those drying Enso products
BKT- about 4 brands
Tangle teezer- doesnt even work on my weaves lol
Taliah Waajid moisturizer- my hair HATES glycerin and this is full of it.
Elasta Qp
EVOO
Castor oil- too gooey directly on my scalp, might as well use maple syrup
kinky curly

I could go on and on, but I wont. I should smack myself because moist things that turn out horribly are "bandwagon" products.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Oh too many to list!!

A few of my "expensive" crap buys:
Kinky Curly custard $30+. (Will be selling soon in the exchange forum.. for anyone interested)
Afro detangler $30+
Bobraz weave $100+

Other randoms that come to mind:
Cantu shea butter leave in
QP mango butter
Care Free Gold
Kinky Curly knot today (already swapped it w/ a member)
Tangle teezer
Denman brush

bronzebomb

Oh too many to list!!

Kinky Curly custard $30+. (Will be selling soon in the exchange forum.. for anyone interested)
Afro detangler $30+
Bobraz weave $100+

QP mango butter
Care Free Gold
Tangle teezer
Denman brush

I :love: Afro Detangler! but it's pricey! :yep:

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
It feels great while putting it on, but does not do much detangling for me and it leaves a weird residue on my strands.

Oyin's Dew works well for detangling my fine 4B strands.

napbella

Definitely. But the worse was shea butter. My natural hair hated it but I didnt realize it before it "straighten" the front of my fro so much it no longer stood up. I was hot! Nappy hair all over except the front! Couldnt wear puffs or fros which I loved. It went down hill from there. I ended up relaxing after 5yrs being natural, le sigh.

SimJam

elasta QP mango butter ... made hair crunchy

shea moisture deep treatment mask .... made ends dry and brittle (actually if I mix with oils and KKKC its OK for twist outs so its not really a waste)

Qhemet Olive and honey hydrating balm (feels good on wet hair but dries hard , I use it on my skin and to mix in my whipped shea butter)

Oyin honey hemp - made hair hard

All creme of nature shampoos conditioners and leave ins

Last edited:

Kn0ttyByNatur3

@lilmama Why dont you use a little hand mirror, like a make-up mirror, to check your bun in a big mirror :yep: I use to do that all the time or use my cell phone to snap a quick pic lol

ETA: I second that motion on the Elasta QP Mango butter crap. Just mad my hair heavy and greasy....but I was relaxed at the time.....hmmm

Any way other crap:

Proclaim cholesterol (gave me headaches, left my hair tangled and smelly :/ )
anything else ive probably already tossed, used up, or gave away by now

I second that. My relaxed hair hated that crap wiff a passion. My hair was dry, tangled mess. Felt like it just sat on my hair. :nono:

But it would probably work wonders on my natural hair. its in love wiff cholesterol.

charislibra

Yup. Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I was so upset! I love the scent. I'd read reviews, watched styling videos, and saw pictures of the results in the Everyday Hair thread. I think it was manter's flat twist results that made me buy it. I tried it and it looked a mess! There was no moisture! I tried it every which way, but no luck. The very last time I tried it, there was breakage upon application. :mad:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
There have been several items but the one I'm willing to call out is the tangle teezer. This product is a no-go now and forever!

Nix08, mizani h2O calms breakage. I use a pea size amount when I'm started to get a little more breakage than normal. Too much makes the hair very greasy.

mizani h2o - I have no use for it:ohwell:

Oh too many to list!!

Afro detangler $30+
Bobraz weave $100+

QP mango butter
Care Free Gold
Tangle teezer
Denman brush

What's this Afro Detangler stuff yaya24.

yorkpatties

I bought Roux porosity control conditioner when I was transitioning. It worked so well I decided to try the shampoo. That shampoo is the sole reason I decided to BC. It's like it made my hair as porous as possible. It was like putting super glue on my relaxed ends. Well, it provided a distinct difference between my relaxed ends and natural new growth, so maybe that somehow made my BC easier. :grin:

If I don't figure out how to use this daggone curling custard soon it's going up in the other forum!!!

NTM deep conditioner. Like...wtf was that? I liked the leave-in when I was relaxed though.

Last edited:

tru4reele

Um KeraCare silken seal spray did absolutely nothing. I tried it to blow dry and also to flat iron. Nothing. Also KeraCare's moisturizing lotion is the worst moisturizer I have ever used. Its a weird liquidy sticky texture. BTW KeraCare is my FAVORITE hair line but these two are the only products I dont like.

Burbujas

Yes! But I guess you won't find products and techniques that work for you without some trial and error.

Things that did not work for me:

* Kinky curly knot today - hard hair
* Kinky curly shampoo - dry and matted hair
* Giovanni direct leave in - worked at first, but left my hair dry and hard the longer I used it
* Giovanni 50:50 conditioner - did absolutely nothing for my hair
* Afroveda carrot and rice bran shampoo bar - itchy scalp
* MyHoneyChild aloe leave in - did nothing for my hair and hated the smell as well
* Kimmaytube leave in - dry and hard hair
* Glycerine - dry hair
* Hairveda whipped ends hydration - there was no hydration AT ALL
* Hairveda 24/7 moist conditioner - felt good while my hair was wet, but turned my hair into straw once dried
* Curl harmony DC - did nothing for my hair
* Aloe vera juice - hard hair
* Tangle teezer - breakage city
* Denman brush - breakage city
* Gel - breakage city
* Anything containing mineral oil/petroleum - ultra dry and matted hair
* Pure shea butter - super dry and dull hair, but my skin seems to love it, so it wasn't a complete waste of money

Last edited:

choctaw

Wow! That's a lot of disappointments :(

Lilmama1011,

Everything was used except the Clovis almond oil. I learned what works for my hair (ayurveda, oil, conditioner). The Indian powders and oils are cheaper at my Indian grocer. Conditioners are always cheaper in liter size at TJ Maxx, Ross or Marshall.

I hope you find what works best for your hair and your wallet. Thank you for starting this thread.

brittle_hair

Caruso rollers - don't know why I believed that hype! And it cost me £50! If it weren't for the price I woulda binned it!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I've been blessed that I can either: Gift, Swap or Sell/Exchange.:yep:

Thankfully, I've always been able to keep my disappointments at a managable level by doing this.^^^^^

And truthfully, I gift, swap, sell/exchange alot of things I love, I just have duplicates of it.:ohwell:

I try to research & read up on something before I decide to buy.:yep:

Very 'rarely' do I ever just trash something.:nono:

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
divachyk that's the thing I bought it in anticipation of breakage from wearing my hair out more but *knock on wood* I really don't have much breakage. Granted I rarely wear my hair out....I wonder if it will last till 2013 when I'm WL and strutting my stuff:look: :giggle: