Have you ever brought something for your hair and it was a waste?

Ogoma

Lots and lots, but even worse are the products that are just there. Unlike the products that are crap for my hair that I feel no qualms chucking away, I feel guilty throwing the middling ones out and have to use them up.

At this point, I am over trying new stuff especially leave-ins, moisturizers, and stylers. I will get my PJ fix from trying new rinse out and deep conditioners, but nothing I need to leave on my hair.

Nylund

Lilmama1011

Don't Speak Defeat has a YouTube tutorial on how to cover a donut with weave hair if your own hair is a bit too thin to cover the entire donut. I'm not very skilled in the art of hair, but I was able to make the bun the way she showed pretty easily.

The video is called "How to Make a Bun for Shorter Hair" and the link is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4c3...xt=C3bb1a1dUDOEgsToPDskLkOgpw2YsbKl4IuGb8xuqB

Hope that helps :)

KeraCare Oil Moisturizer with Jojoba Oil was the worst thing I ever used on my hair. The ends were so dry and just crumbled off. I got that devilish product outta my house and took it back to Ulta the next day.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I have found that I have about 99% luck with handmade products. Best decision I could have made was to incorporate these quality prods in my regi.

divachyk

@divachyk-

Its the detangler from the grow afro hair long website:

http://www.growafrohairlong.com/afro_detangler.html

INGREDIENTS: water, avocado/mango/shea butter, vitamin E, avocado oil, Organic lecithin from soy bean, green tea extract, orange extract, CitroZine™ (Organic) as a preservative, natural fragrance.
yaya24, that detangler sounds like it should have worked great. It contains some of the ingredients my hair loves. Is it just collecting dust?

Ann0804

Kinky curly knot today- doesn't do anything for my hair
Chi Silk Infusions- what exactly is this for
Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie- not pleased with the results
MyHoney Child Cleansing Banana Shampoo- looks awful
QP Wraping lotion- leaves hair very hard
Bask Cacao Bark- this stuff is not a deep conditioner; does nothing
Tresemme Heat Spray- not for my hair at all
Carol's daughter Mimosa Hair Honey- too oily, made my hair/scalp itch
Twisted Sister curl activator- too heavy, leaves build up
Eco styler gel- makes my hair super hard
Joico K Pac reconstructor- knots my hair up
Pantene Naturals shampoo/conditioner- frizzy hair
Kera care creme press and curl wax- super oily, does nothing
ORS- very drying on my hair
QP liquid styling gel- smells awful, leaves hair hard.
Silk Elements heat protectant- super oily
Ojon products- smells awful and leaves my hair dry, with breakage
Curl formers- Hurts my scalp, frizzy hair
Wigs- Outre Tiffany, Sensationnel-Shantel, Janet's Sora
Chi Air flat iron- snags hair
and tons more that I can't recall atm.

Lilmama1011

Ann0804 said:
Kinky curly knot today- doesn't do anything for my hair
Chi Silk Infusions- what exactly is this for
Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie- not pleased with the results
MyHoney Child Cleansing Banana Shampoo- looks awful
QP Wraping lotion- leaves hair very hard
Bask Cacao Bark- this stuff is not a deep conditioner; does nothing
Tresemme Heat Spray- not for my hair at all
Carol's daughter Mimosa Hair Honey- too oily, made my hair/scalp itch
Twisted Sister curl activator- too heavy, leaves build up
Eco styler gel- makes my hair super hard
Joico K Pac reconstructor- knots my hair up
Pantene Naturals shampoo/conditioner- frizzy hair
Kera care creme press and curl wax- super oily, does nothing
ORS- very drying on my hair
QP liquid styling gel- smells awful, leaves hair hard.
Silk Elements heat protectant- super oily
Ojon products- smells awful and leaves my hair dry, with breakage
Curl formers- Hurts my scalp, frizzy hair
Wigs- Outre Tiffany, Sensationnel-Shantel, Janet's Sora
Chi Air flat iron- snags hair
and tons more that I can't recall atm.

Wow, talk about bad luck! Smh

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
divachyk- It would be awesome if it did not leave film on my hair after it dries.

I plan on trying it as a prepoo (w/ oils) and if thats a no go then I'm going to have to let it go.

kryolnapps

choctaw lol yes the Ojon restorative treatment smell is ... unique, but your description made me laugh. But I love it, it has saved my hair many times. I tried palm oil and it is not the same. Which one do you use? I would love an alternative because it is expensive!

My biggest disappointments were the denman brush and the tangle teezer. The denman brush was a no-no right away. It took a little while longer for me to get damage from the tangle teezer. I really thought I had finally found my holy grail for detangling.

I did not like the Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque as a deep conditioner, but I love it as a leave-in.

Aubrey Organics Honeysucke Rose was also a big let down. It did not moisturize my hair at all! I'll try adding oils to it.

Ann0804

@ lilmama1011

Yes, my hair is very particular and does not like many products I try, but luckily CJ products have been great.

Urbancoils

Cantu Shea butter leave in

Miss Jessies Curly Meringue it just sits on my hair.

A few wigs

Everyone raves about Oyin Handmade but the honey hemp condish did nothing for me. I recently purchased the hair dew and I'm not thrilled about it either.

I have days that Kinky Curly works for me and days that it doesn't.

I won't be purchasing any of the above products again.

choctaw

choctaw lol yes the Ojon restorative treatment smell is ... unique, but your description made me laugh. But I love it, it has saved my hair many times. I tried palm oil and it is not the same. Which one do you use? I would love an alternative because it is expensive!

I used the last of palm oil I received from a friend but I never purchased it myself. I have looked at www.mountainroseherbs.com website and they charge $32 for 1 gallon palm kernel.

I use evco instead because I get excellent results, cheaper prices, no shipping :grin:

Loving

Lol...welcome to the club!!

I just started my hair journey in November and I already have a list!

Cantu Spray - made my hair hard as hell! Scared the crap out of me
Tressemme Moisturising Shampoo AND Conditioner - made my hair stiff
ORS Edge Control - I dont even know what to say about it

I'm sure there are more....I just cant recall.

A856

Brought a "donut" ( used to make a bun) from the beauty supply and was so excited so I can wear buns and that would be my protective style and I go to make a bun and my hair is too thin, I was so mad, my mom did it and said it covers but that would mean I would need someone to do it every time or risk going outside with the "donut" showing. I was so disappointed and the donut is too thick, they have small and large one and I got small and my hair is long enough but it's too thin and don't want to use a sock because it will soak up the moisture in my hair. So have you every brought something that wasn't for your hair and was disappointed? Want to hear yal stories :)

I got one too, that I bought two years ago now. It's still in the package.:drunk:

Girl yesssss. I ran out and bought Kinky Curly Curling Custard because it was supposed to be oh so incredible. I tried it all kinds of ways and it left my hair a hot, dry, crunchy mess. I also went out to get Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner. :nono: It didn't work for me AT ALL. I tried it as a conditioner, as a leave in, in a moisture mix and nothing worked.....and the smell was so loud it was nauseating. Definitely not for me.

Hmm! Is that right?? I wanted to try these thing:spinning:

Tangle Teezer. :down:

I wanted to get one of these too!

I guess there's a reason why I haven't purchased any of them...

sugahoney

I only have a few products that just were not for me.

Cantu shea butter leave in - just sat on my hair and made it feel sticky. Plus the smell would make me feel nauseous after a couple of uses.

Silicon mix - it leaves my hair very soft but to dc with it leaves me with a headache because of the smell and I have 2 big jars of it just sitting at home.

ORS Edge control - does nothing for my 12 weeks post newgrowth. It will slick it down for about 30 mins and thats about it.

Elasta QP Mango butter - this was one of the first things I bought when I started taking better care of my hair and it was just horrible, I could not understand how so many ppl were using this and raving about it. it left my hair dry dry dry, this was probably the one thing I threw away.

Last edited:

grownupnai

No

Denman brush

Everything else was cheap enough to forgive at the time or actually worked on my hair. My hair doesn't like the Denman for detangling. How could I believe it would work better for me than my trusty metal pick comb for the first pass.

Tiye

I've bought my fair share of dud products but I try to use them for something else if they don't work for my hair. Example - shampoos can be used for delicate wash fabrics. Oils and butters can be used for skin or the kitchen. Combs and brushes - there's always someone around who can use them if I can't and they work on weave hair too. I'm not as adventurous with leave in or rinse out conditioners because they're the least multipurpose - if they don't work they just don't work for anything.

niqu92

shea butter-made my hair feel like play dough and cravons

silicon mix shampoo- this is the only thing i hate from the silicon mix line the shampoo strips my hair and it has a really weird gooey texture

shea butter curl enhancing smoothie-i thought it would make my braidouts the bomb but it ended up making my hair super dry and heavy. im planning on giving it one more shot once i start doing braidouts in the summer. if it doesnt work then i'll be giving it away

cantu shea butter leave-in - it doesnt do anything bad but it doesnt do anything good its just "meh"

KCCC- i still have the same jar from 2008 back when i was natural theres like mold growing in it now i keep forgetting to throw it away

yuhlovevybz

Everytime I buy something. My hair hates everything. And I'm only exagerating a little bit. This is why the most I'll ever spend money on is oils cuz there's so much I can do with them. Leaves ins, shampoos and conditioners....eh....for now, I'll stick with whatever has worked in the past. It'll take a lot for me to start experimenting with 'quality' *eyeroll* products again.

yuhlovevybz

I've bought my fair share of dud products but I try to use them for something else if they don't work for my hair. Example - shampoos can be used for delicate wash fabrics. Oils and butters can be used for skin or the kitchen. Combs and brushes - there's always someone around who can use them if I can't and they work on weave hair too. I'm not as adventurous with leave in or rinse out conditioners because they're the least multipurpose - if they don't work they just don't work for anything.

Conditioners are great for shaving. :grin:

Lita

Miss Jessie
QP
Pink lotion
Kinky Curly (any-thing)
Cantu
Cheap con/cheap poos

I can go on & on...Waste millions of dollars..lol..

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

constance

Knot Today & Kinky Curly Custard...which reminds me I need to clean out my cabinet. :yep:

Last edited:

divachyk

niqu92 perhaps try using up your shea butter on your skin. My skin loves it.

yaya24 holla at me before letting it go. I might be willing to give it a try based on whatever my stash/regi is looking like at that time.

Lita agree that Kinky Curly was a waste for my hair. Silly me stocked up thinking Kim's LI would work for my hair.

Onhergrind09

If my cabinets could talk! My biggest problem is that I buy in bulk, whether or not I've tried the product before in order to save some coins:look:. Case in point, the following are currently unopened and collecting dust or used once and collecting dust.
1) Afrodetangler (gallon) - not moisturizing enough for my 4b hair
2) Kinky curly Afro Detalger (3 bottles) - does noting for me except when mixed into the Kimmytube leave-in, which I don't use anymore
3) Profectiv leave ins-they smell good in the jar, HORRIBLE when your whole heat is saturated in it...NEVER AGAIN
4) Giovanni leave in- did nothing for my 4b hair
5) Chi ceramic flat iron that I only used once, which I bought before starting my hair journey
6) The list goes on in on......

BostonMaria

Brought a "donut" ( used to make a bun) from the beauty supply and was so excited so I can wear buns and that would be my protective style and I go to make a bun and my hair is too thin, I was so mad, my mom did it and said it covers but that would mean I would need someone to do it every time or risk going outside with the "donut" showing. I was so disappointed and the donut is too thick, they have small and large one and I got small and my hair is long enough but it's too thin and don't want to use a sock because it will soak up the moisture in my hair. So have you every brought something that wasn't for your hair and was disappointed? Want to hear yal stories :)

Before I answer your question, save the donut because at some point it will fit. Give it some time.

I've wasted hundreds of dollars on products that don't work. People ooh and aah about this or that and I buy it only to find out XYZ product makes my hair look a hot mess. I've pretty much given up LOL I make up my own concoctions at home with stuff I know works on me. Its very frustrating.

cutiepiesensei

@ pre medicalrulz this has nothin to do with this, but i thought you should know that I want to steal your hair LMAO it's sooooooo amazing :p

Anyway, to this forum: YESSSSS omg too many to count. I have a jar of Silicon Mix and I don't know what to do with it. And countless "moisturizers" by Cantu to that Pink Oil Moisturizer that absolutely did nothing for my hair.

The one I use now seems to be working very well, but I haven't used it that long. The ingredients seem good though. I got it from Walgreens: Bioinfusion Olive Oil Moisturizing Lotion

Last edited:

Lilmama1011

BostonMaria said:
Before I answer your question, save the donut because at some point it will fit. Give it some time.

I've wasted hundreds of dollars on products that don't work. People ooh and aah about this or that and I buy it only to find out XYZ product makes my hair look a hot mess. I've pretty much given up LOL I make up my own concoctions at home with stuff I know works on me. Its very frustrating.

Hope so, the problem ain't the length is the thickness of my hair. I could roller set and wrap it and take it out and my hair would look so thick and healthy, but when I go to bun it, it looks so freaking thin!