Have you ever just felt like your regimen just stopped working?

sj73

After a successful year of growth (2010), it seems like my hair has just taken a turn for the worse. You probably remember my grip about excessive shedding the last four months. I think I figured out how to help remedy that (Alter Ego Garlic Treatment), but my hair just looks a hot mess lately (hair anorexia maybe). Almost like I need to reconfigure my regimen. How can I go an entire year with great progress and then just lose it after a 4 month stretch. I just want to cut it to neck length right now. So mad! I went from getting compliments all the time to now just wanting to wear a hat everday. I'm so mad! :sad:

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Is there hope?

I wash with Joico Moisture weekly; deep condition after every wash (AOHR, Philip B Deep Conditioner, Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute); apply a leave-in (Philip B Lovin Leave-in, Givoanni Direct Moisture). I usually rotate between protein and moisture, but I'm starting to assess the needs of my hair now (even though the rotation worked wonders last year). I flat iron my hair once a week and do pin curls or buns the remainder of the week). I stretch for 12 weeks last year (but tried a four month stretch recently--won't be doing that again).

Last edited:

Your Cheeziness

Yeah, my hair woke up one day and was like biiiiiiiiiish, I QUIT!! Shedding, breakage, acting a plum fool. After a while, I just gave up and went to a stylist, got a good trim and it was on and popping again.

sj73

Yeah, my hair woke up one day and was like biiiiiiiiiish, I QUIT!! Shedding, breakage, acting a plum fool. After a while, I just gave up and went to a stylist, got a good trim and it was on and popping again.

I dust my ends after each relaxer, but I was wondering if a cut was needed. Especially after the shedding I experienced.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I would ask the obvious questions:

- Do you have any health issues?
- Recent dietary changes - good or bad?
- Are you under stress (a serious reason for hair issues)?

- Do you self trim? or use a stylist?

I think those are the most common ones to start with.

afiyabirdie

yes!! so i threw it out and developed a simple one (wash once a week, apply olive oil, let it air dry, and tuck in a bonnet 24/7) and got 3 inches...

sj73

I would ask the obvious questions:

- Do you have any health issues? I've been anemic for most of my adult life, but I take iron tablets. I was anemic when my hair was great in 2010 too.
- Recent dietary changes - good or bad? I started Weight Watchers.
- Are you under stress (a serious reason for hair issues)? Yes, but I'm always under stress with my kids, work, etc.

- Do you self trim? or use a stylist? Yes, I self trim. Usually dust my ends after each relaxer (every three months).

I think those are the most common ones to start with.

Thanks for the feedback though.

leiah

I feel like my hair got used to the products I was using. So I went and bought a bunch of new stuff, not really on a strict regimen now just doing what I feel like my hair needs every day. I've definitely seen an improvement

I don't know if I will ever go back to having a weekly routine with staple products. We'll see

Lucia

About the weight waters are you eating their packaged food a
Or are you eating fresh? Of its pre made thats youre culprit processed foods no nutritional value If it's fresh than I suggest a prenatal multi and vitamin C every other day and keep up you water intake.

Last edited:

ScorpioBeauty09

My regimen stopped working until I started paying attention to my hair's pH balance and started Apple Cider Vinegar as a pre-wash and use a balancing shampoo every other wash day. When I started doing that, my retention began again and my hair/scalp felt cleaner.

mzteaze

Thanks for the feedback though.

Thanks for answering.

Constant stress has a way wearing the body down in unexpected ways and can definitely show through the hair. I would consider working a way to manage that stress. Plus consider using some supplements.

I asked about self-trimming only because away from LHCF I have read about some of the down sides to hair issues from self-trimming. If you have someone that you trust (a hair professional), consider getting their opinion on whether you need more trimmed. Yes, I am aware that this isn't a popular opinion here as well. But - it is a potential root problem.

Lastly, since you are relaxed and you regularly flat iron, consider changing styling techniques for a while. Perhaps try a no-heat regimen or roller-setting to help you reduce how often you flat iron.

Honey Bee

Thanks for answering.

Constant stress has a way wearing the body down in unexpected ways and can definitely show through the hair. I would consider working a way to manage that stress. Plus consider using some supplements.

I asked about self-trimming only because away from LHCF I have read about some of the down sides to hair issues from self-trimming. If you have someone that you trust (a hair professional), consider getting their opinion on whether you need more trimmed. Yes, I am aware that this isn't a popular opinion here as well. But - it is a potential root problem.

Lastly, since you are relaxed and you regularly flat iron, consider changing styling techniques for a while. Perhaps try a no-heat regimen or roller-setting to help you reduce how often you flat iron.

mzteaze, Like what?

sj73

My regimen stopped working until I started paying attention to my hair's pH balance and started Apple Cider Vinegar as a pre-wash and use a balancing shampoo every other wash day. When I started doing that, my retention began again and my hair/scalp felt cleaner.

I do an apple cider vinegar rinse after I rinse out my deep conditioner with every wash.

sj73

About the weight waters are you eating their packaged food a
Or are you eating fresh? Of its pre made thats youre culprit processed foods no nutritional value If it's fresh than I suggest a prenatal multi and vitamin C every other day and keep up you water intake.

I usually eat the Weight Watchers frozen entrees for lunch on work days only. I eat my own foods for breakfast and dinner each day. I'm not a fan of prepackaged foods either, but the frozen entrees really help me get a lunch bite in the middle of a busy work day. I do need to step up my multivitamin use though. I've been good with taking my iron tablets, but not my multivitamins.

mzteaze

Honey Bee
I also read blogs from natural hair stylists. Recently there was a discussion about an increase in clients who were self-trimmers. One of the continuing issues was trying to correct uneven cuts, splits further up the shaft particularly in the back of the head (same issues Nonie's posts about splits tend to discuss) and overall hair health.

They offered a different perspective to the discussion. Whether you decide to get it professionally done or self-trim, there are upsides and downsides to both. Sometimes, we have to consider ALL potential issues when trying to get to the root cause of hair issues.

CurlyMoo

I have a good regimen but I need to tweek it every now and then which would include a trim. Right now I am so off my regimen due to work related stress and fatigue. Is there a support group for this?

1stladyv

That's me all the way. I have been using the same regimen for years. Now all of a sudden my hair is becoming tangled and my tried and tru techniques are failing. I relaxed april 16th and from then on my regimen is about to change. I have been brainstorming, reading through my hair journal and blog to get ideas.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Long Hair Care Forum App