Have You Ever Just Stopped Wanting Long Hair?

LocksOfLuV

Have anyone here ever just stopped wanting long hair? I don't know if it is because I am tired of growing it out (It's been a only a year:look: ) or if I just don't want long hair anymore. I was thinking to myself the other day that if I go back to a blunt APL then I would be cool with that.

Of course, I am not going to do anything drastic without thinking it through. But i was wondering if anyone felt this way? Was this a phase for you?

Mystic

Not right now. I have never had long hair before and the journey to longer hair is exciting. As soon as I have accomplished my long hair goal, I will get tired of it, cut it short and start the hair growing process again - maybe natural this time.

LocksOfLuV

Mystic said:
Not right now. I have never had long hair before and the journey to longer hair is exciting. As soon as I have accomplished my long hair goal, I will get tired of it, cut it short and start the hair growing process again - maybe natural this time.

I thought about this. This would be so fun to do.

CarLiTa

I've felt that way, but goodness forbid, I'm not going to run and cut it only to regret it later.

Hang in there, the feeling will go away probably. If it stays really strong though, it's your choice to cut it or keep it.

angie10

Are you kidding, after I spent all that time and effort:lol:
What's really weird is that when I first started wanting to care for my hair, I didn't do it mostly to get long hair. I just did it to get healthier hair, and length followed. When I saw my progress, I started getting hooked on growing it long:grin:
Don't go around cutting your hair missy, even though I do think APL is long:look:

SpiritJunkie

angie10 said:
What's really weird is that when I first started wanting to care for my hair, I didn't do it mostly to get long hair. I just did it to get healthier hair, and length followed. When I saw my progress, I started getting hooked on growing it long:grin:
Don't go around cutting your hair missy, even though I do think APL is long:look:

Your progress is amazing!!!
I understand how Locksof luv feels. My hair isn't even long and i am thinking already too cut it short. I have pics of my short hair around the house and I get a lot of compliements on that look.

I'm sooo tempted but like angie10 said, I've been working too hard...i will stick it out. Plus I have too many darn products I need to use up!! :lachen:

SouthernJewel

exceeding expectations...
Im like Angie, I never really sought long hair persay. I wanted healthy hair and NO layers! My hair is healthy and im slowly growing out my layers. Once I reach APL I will maintain that length, im not too keen on how I look with hair longer than APL for some reason. Longer (BSL +) hair doesnt compliment my round face.

Kurlee

Sorry, off topic, but MYSTIC u have had had amzing progress, ur hair looks so thick and healthy and shiny. Keep it up!

StrawberryQueen

When I went natural I did b/c I wanted to just enjoy my hair.

But now that I'm getting the hang of things, I want long hair again.

angie10

Sweetg said:
I understand how Locksof luv feels. My hair isn't even long and i am thinking already too cut it short. I have pics of my short hair around the house and I get a lot of compliements on that look.

I'm sooo tempted but like angie10 said, I've been working too hard...i will stick it out. Plus I have too many darn products I need to use up!! :lachen:

Thank you sweetg, I was thinking the same thing about the products:lachen:

FAMUDva

LocksOfLuV said:
Have anyone here ever just stopped wanting long hair? I don't know if it is because I am tired of growing it out (It's been a only a year:look: ) or if I just don't want long hair anymore. I was thinking to myself the other day that if I go back to a blunt APL then I would be cool with that.

Of course, I am not going to do anything drastic without thinking it through. But i was wondering if anyone felt this way? Was this a phase for you?

Never felt that way about long hair but did about natural hair. Although I still want natural hair, I was trying to do way too much when I first started LHCF and it was a bit overwhelming. I was trying to transition AND grow long hair at the same time. It came down to I want long hair more than I want natural hair at this point in my life. Yeah, I know I can have both and there are some beautiful examples of that on this board, but I was losing both battles trying to do to much at once. My hair was shedding and breaking all over the place because of the different textures.

So in a sense I feel where you are coming from, but I've never felt that re: long hair. Hell, I never thought long hair would even be possible for me, so chasing the dream is cool right now.

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
LocksOfLuV said:

Girl naw! :lachen:

Qetesh

LocksOfLuV said:

Honestly, yes I have. I have always had long hair the shortest my hair has ever been is SL, when I did get my hair cut that short from a happy stylist I honestly didn’t even care. People were asking me why I cut my hair and I was jus like it will grow back.

I would contemplate just chopping it off for a short style (ear length), but I was too afraid I wouldn’t like it and I know it would take years to grow back. Also I had plenty of people talking me OUT of cutting all my hair off.

I then started with short wigs, and I have quite a few of them now so it helps to keep me from being scissor happy. I think after I make it to tailbone length I will probably cut it down to mid-back again and possibly shorter, now that my hair is nearly waist length I sometimes feel like it’s too long. But since I am a natural all I need to do is wash it and the shrinkage will kick in and ill be SL again, so overall i think wigs help the most for those extreame short styles and for in-between my natual hair helps also J

Last edited:

taraglam2

angie10 said:

I totally agree with you. Once my hair got healthy the length started coming in slowly---but it came in. I will continue to get it trimmed/dusted twice a year to keep it even / blunt, however not cutting for a short style anytime soon. I am thankful to be at the current length that I am if it continues to grow longer that's cool also.

LocksOfLuV

Qetesh said:
Honestly, yes I have. I have always had long hair the shortest my hair has ever been is SL, when I did get my hair cut that short from a happy stylist I honestly didn’t even care. People were asking me why I cut my hair and I was jus like it will grow back.

I would contemplate just chopping it off for a short style (ear length), but I was too afraid I wouldn’t like it and I know it would take years to grow back. Also I had plenty of people talking me OUT of cutting all my hair off.

I then started with short wigs, and I have quite a few of them now so it helps to keep me from being scissor happy. I think after I make it to tailbone length I will probably cut it down to mid-back again and possibly shorter, now that my hair is nearly waist length I sometimes feel like it’s too long. But since I am a natural all I need to do is wash it and the shrinkage will kick in and ill be SL again, so overall i think wigs help the most for those extreame short styles and for in-between my natual hair helps also J

LOL, one person feels me, but you already have long hair (which is very pretty by the way). But I totally feel you and thank you for sharing. I don't even have long hair yet and I am feeling burnt out and like "why did I want this again?" Well my reggie is simple, but maybe it's time for some braids or something where i don't have to deal with my hair for a few weeks.

But you ladies are right, I won't do anything stupid plus I have to prove to myself that this IS possible. I know me, if I did cut it I will always be wondering if i could do it.

shunta

You know, its crazy that you started this thread because just the other day I was thinking that Im happy with my APL length right now. I originally wanted to be BSL but right now Im fine with the APL, and its already a pain to rollerset, so just imagine how hard it would be for me to do it at BSL. My hair is alot healthier right now, so Im just gonna focus on that, and not so much the length anymore.:ohwell:

senimoni

I was just thinking this the other day. Specifically I was thinking, "you are doing all of this for some long hair (which I don't have yet), and you will probably cut it off after you get there". Then I thought about it, I was like hex nawl.

breezy

LocksOfLuV said:
LOL, one person feels me, but you already have long hair (which is very pretty by the way). But I totally feel you and thank you for sharing. I don't even have long hair yet and I am feeling burnt out and like "why did I want this again?" Well my reggie is simple, but maybe it's time for some braids or something where i don't have to deal with my hair for a few weeks.

But you ladies are right, I won't do anything stupid plus I have to prove to myself that this IS possible. I know me, if I did cut it I will always be wondering if i could do it.

Yeah, I think maybe you just need to shake it up a bit. Maybe some twists, those look real pretty.

Plus I think a lot of us on growing regimens get tired of the whole haircare thing b/c even though you know it's working and all, you just can't enjoy your hair. It's not like you get to wear it down everyday or anything, and I guess after a while it can just get boring.

Maybe instead of a cut or something you could just flat iron and enjoy your hair down for a week, that might help.

ritzbitz78

Mystic said:

Thats what I am thinking of doing also.

glamazon386

LocksOfLuV said:

Yeah I feel this way. I don't really care anymore. I see that it's growing. I got rid of the damage that plagued me for the past few years. And now that that's over, it really doesn't matter to me anymore. I don't have a hardcore regime like some of the ladies on this board. Doesn't matter that much to me. I wash and deep condition and cover it back up. I keep my hair covered up so I don't have to deal with it. I'm just used to it being that way now. Even if it did get to BSL or whatever I'd probably still cover it up. I mean I don't want really long hair anyway. I'd be good with healthy shoulder length or apl hair. I don't really want hair longer than that. I wouldn't wanna deal with that much hair. If I want a longer look for a while, I'll just go get a weave. Same thing if I want a shorter look. I change my styles ALL the time. Length, cut, color and everything. I like being able to have that versatility and no matter what length my hair is I'm not going to jack it up trying to make all those changes.

Last edited:

LocksOfLuV

breezy said:
Yeah, I think maybe you just need to shake it up a bit. Maybe some twists, those look real pretty.

Plus I think a lot of us on growing regimens get tired of the whole haircare thing b/c even though you know it's working and all, you just can't enjoy your hair. It's not like you get to wear it down everyday or anything, and I guess after a while it can just get boring.

Maybe instead of a cut or something you could just flat iron and enjoy your hair down for a week, that might help.

Girl I wore my hair down for me get together with my high school friend girls and really enjoyed it. I think you hit the nail on the head for me.

Bmore, you hair looks so good in your siggy!:eek: :D

RabiaElaine

Nope because I've never had it. The hair on my head right now is the longest I've ever had!!!!!!! I guess when my hair reaches BSL I'll probably stop wanting hair longer than that because hair longer than that might be too much for me to handle. But who knows what I'll want then. I could definitely understand not wanting it anymore if you already have it because you know you can go back to long hair whenever you want. However for me a woman who has never had hair more than 1-2 inches past the tops of my shoulders the desire for long hair APL or longer is extremely strong!!!!!!!!

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
No, I never stopped wanting long hair, but I have stopped wanting to work for it on a few occasions. I think that when I reach my long hair goal, I'll probably just do minimal maintenance to keep it there, but I won't try to grow it longer anymore.

Meli

I am still passionate about growing my hair and I saw that you used Kinky Kurly products and I am hoping you could lend a hand. I need your help...I am 4b-thick hair...I am new to Long Hair. I see that you use Knot Today and the Curling Custard. I used it for the first time yesterday. I am trying to grow my hair cause it's soooo boyshort. I had my last relaxer Dec. 24, 2005, and I just became fully natural October 2006. I performed the big chop in October 2006. Based on my following regimen, what could I do to achieve the length I so desperately need to make me not look like a boy. I wash my hair weekly. I use the KeraCare 1st Lather Shampoo (2 washes). I then use KeraCare Hydrating Shampoo( 1 wash). For three weeks I have been using the NaturalLaxer-Clay Bakka Products...(found on Treasured Locks to strengthen my hair, gently loosen the curls so that it will be more manageable and prevent knots-not sure if it's working cause it's too early to tell (dryer for 1 hour). Then I rinse it out and use the Alter Ego Deep Conditioner-just started using this..before it was Pantene for Black Hair (under the dryer for 15-20 min). I proceed to rinse this out and perform a two-strand twist, while applying the Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding. I go under the hooded dryer for about 1 hour to 1-1/2 hour...and then untwist. Yesterday, I used Knot Today and the Curling Custard... and twisted my hair. I sleep with a satin cap..

Problem...

With Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding- I found my hair to be too greasy.(Am I putting too much on my hair) And I found that my hair was forming knots. Some say that it's because I need a trim. But my hair is forming knots in the mid-section of the hairstrand and not just at the ends.

Knot Today and the Curling Custard-My hair seems dry...a I have noticed some breaking...Is this just in my head or have you experienced the same. Do you find that the Curling Custard and Knot Today are drying to your hair?

PS: I do need to drink a lot more water. I do cardio exercises 5 days out of the week (treadmill and stairmaster)...1 hour daily. I take vitamins 5 days out of the week (Flaxseed, Biotin, A, D and Zinc).

Am I missing something? Are there other curling products that won't be greasy or drying? Please let me know.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
No, not yet! I have had long hair and short cuts but I personally think that I look better with long hair.

What I think I hear you saying is that the passion in your "hair" relationship has dwindled and just like a relationship with people, when it gets old you got to try and do things to re-ignite it! (if you want to of course). Try some of the suggestions the ladies have mentioned in this thread and you just might rediscover your love affair with long hair!

I am sure that you'll be beautiful with long or short, relaxed, natural or whatever!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!:dance7:

Ebony Majesty

Sometimes I think to myself is all this hard work worth it... but then its something I would love to experience :) and at the same time I'm working on keeping my hair healthy

MzOptimistic

Sweetg said:

Yep she did make amazing progress. It's pictures like these that motivates me..has everyone seen anky's starting pictures and now look at her hair...that's when I knew that I could do it:)