Hawaiian Silky No base relaxer??

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

Hi ladies,

Has anyone ever used this relaxer to texturize their hair? If so what was the outcome? Is it a no-lye relaxer or a lye relaxer? When I went to the BSS I saw that they had No base and no lye relaxer so I wondering if one was lye and the other was no lye. If you have any feedback, please feel free to respond.

Sosoothing

Hawaiian No Base relaxer should be a Lye relaxer. If you look at the ingredient list on a No-base relaxer, Sodium Hydroxide is among those listed.
I have used it several times in the past but my intention each time was to relax. Unfortunately my resistant hair came out texurized every time. I think its a good relaxer to use to texturize:) .

jasmin

I know they have both formulas.

I think the one that says just no base is the lye formula. The best way to confirm is to look on the back in the ingredients to see if it says sodium hydrox. That's the lye formula.

You're moving on from the Designer Touch Texturizer?

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

jasmin said:
I know they have both formulas.

I think the one that says just no base is the lye formula. The best way to confirm is to look on the back in the ingredients to see if it says sodium hydrox. That's the lye formula.

You're moving on from the Designer Touch Texturizer?

Thanks for your response.:D I did look at the back of the no base relaxer and I saw that it stated sodium hydroxide as one of the ingredients but I just wanted to confirm that it was actually a lye relaxer because I don't really hear you ladies rave about it. I am not sure if I will be moving on from Designer Touch or S curl as yet but the last time I did a touch up with Designer Touch (regular) my hair came out underprocessed. I am not sure if it was because I added conditioner and some olive oil to it but I did experience some breakage because my roots were underprocessed while my ends were great. However, I am very scared to use a regular relaxer to texturize my hair because it might result in having straight hair so I was just checking out my options and reviews.

One of my friends uses Hawaiian Silky relaxer on her hair but it is relaxed not texturized but her hair is silky smooth so I wanted to know if I used the mild in the lye formula if it would work just as great as a texturizer.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

Lkaysgirl said:
Hawaiian No Base relaxer should be a Lye relaxer. If you look at the ingredient list on a No-base relaxer, Sodium Hydroxide is among those listed.
I have used it several times in the past but my intention each time was to relax. Unfortunately my resistant hair came out texurized every time. I think its a good relaxer to use to texturize:) .

Thanks for your response!!!:D

Sosoothing

Mizani_Mrs said:
Move on to Mizani gurl....if your hair comes out underprocessed I'll pay you 10million dollars..... :eek:

I want to switch to Mizani. Seems a lot of people are having good results with it. Do u use regular or mild strength?

kim

I use the HS and I love it. It is great for texturzing. Real gentle but effective.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

Mizani_Mrs said:
Move on to Mizani gurl....if your hair comes out underprocessed I'll pay you 10million dollars..... :eek:

Yes Mrs Mizani:lol: .It's good that you have so much faith in Mizani hair products but I would try to underprocess my hair just to get the 10 million dollars.:eek: :p :lol: By the way does Mizani have a texturizer or it the regular relaxer that you are referring to?

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I remember back in the day Hawaiian Silky was the next best thing to Dudley's, but since 2000 I haven't heard much about it, I do believe that relaxers that say No Base are Lye relaxers, I just learned that my favorite relaxer was a Lye relaxer and I was so busy trying to find a Lye relaxer, LOL, silly me.

Millahdoowop

For those who texturize, when switching to a new relaxer that you use to texturize, do you do a strand test all over again? When I first texturized I used Designer's Touch Texturizing Relaxer (in super, didn't see any other kind) and left it on for seven minutes. I'm thinking about using s-curl or a mild relaxer like Hawaiian Silky and I'm wondering if I'll have to keep it on a longer time.

Ronda123

CLASSYEBONYGIRL,

In a previous thread (I posted the link below), anikalia said her hair was 3c/4a, and she used Hawaiian Silky Mild Lye (to texturize) mixed with Suave coconut or any thick cholesterol-type conditioner (about half and half), left on between 5-7 minutes. Her hair is gorgeous!

I had thought about using Hawaiian Silky after reading her post but like you I am afraid it may result in straight hair. Let me know what you decide...

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=18991&page=1&pp=10&highlight=Hawaiian+Silky+relaxer

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

Ronda123 said:
CLASSYEBONYGIRL,

In a previous thread (I posted the link below), anikalia said her hair was 3c/4a, and she used Hawaiian Silky Mild Lye (to texturize) mixed with Suave coconut or any thick cholesterol-type conditioner (about half and half), left on between 5-7 minutes. Her hair is gorgeous!

I had thought about using Hawaiian Silky after reading her post but like you I am afraid it may result in straight hair. Let me know what you decide...

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=18991&page=1&pp=10&highlight=Hawaiian+Silky+relaxer

Hey Ronda:D

It's too funny that you mentioned Anikalia's hair because today after doing a search I looked at the old post when she was the feature of the month where she mentioned that she uses Hawaiian Silky Lye (mild) to texturize her hair with fabulous results. I think I am definately going to give the mild formula a try maybe sometime next week but I will be mixing it with conditioner and olive oil to prevent my hair from becoming bone straight. I will keep you informed about my end results. :)

Softresses

Hi Ladies,

I use HS no base relaxer in regular or mild, I alternate. My hair is brastrap length and extremely soft. It leaves my hair silky. I don't relax bone straight. I can wear my hair curly if I want, or blow dry it straight (I always wear buns).

I generally just leave it on long enough to texturize. If you leave it on longer and smooth it you can get bone straight hair though.

HTH

Softresses

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

Just giving a quick update about my experience with Hawaiian Silky no base mild relaxer. I really love how my hair feels after using this to texturize my hair. It left my hair feeling soft, silky and smooth. I realized that it wasn't very harsh at all but very gentle compared to Designer Touch and Scurl texturizer. I mixed the mild relaxer with 2 table spoon of Vo5 conditioner, 1 tablespoon ORS hair mayonaise and 1-2 tablespoon EVOO and I left the texturizer on for 30 45 minutes or maybe more on my new growth only so that I could complete my entire head before rinsing it out. End results=soft, silky, shiny, smooth waves. Not overprocessed at all.

I am sorry that I don't have any pics to show at this time. I have been really busy lately but I will try to update my album over the weekend. I think this is definately going to be my texturizer from now on.

Sosoothing

Good to hear your experience was pleasant. I like Hawaiian silky because its mild. I think if I ever go back I will use the super strength because my intentions are usually to relax my hair but it comes out texturized when I use the regular strength.

Ronda123

CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:
Just giving a quick update about my experience with Hawaiian Silky no base mild relaxer. I really love how my hair feels after using this to texturize my hair. It left my hair feeling soft, silky and smooth. I realized that it wasn't very harsh at all but very gentle compared to Designer Touch and Scurl texturizer. I mixed the mild relaxer with 2 table spoon of Vo5 conditioner, 1 tablespoon ORS hair mayonaise and 1-2 tablespoon EVOO and I left the texturizer on for 30 45 minutes or maybe more on my new growth only so that I could complete my entire head before rinsing it out. End results=soft, silky, shiny, smooth waves. Not overprocessed at all.

I am sorry that I don't have any pics to show at this time. I have been really busy lately but I will try to update my album over the weekend. I think this is definately going to be my texturizer from now on.

I am glad you had a good experience with Hawaiian Silky. I cannot wait to see your updates. I also wanted to try Hawaiian Silky but I went with Vitale life and body relaxer with aloe vera...old formula (I added 2 tablespoons of EVOO and left the relaxer on for approximately 7 minutes). After hearing all of the good reviews (thanks to SouthernGirl, hopeful, delp and other vitale users) about this relaxer I had to try it since I have a sensitive scalp. I also had a good experience with this relaxer. My hair is very shiny, silky, soft and curly. If I keep getting good results with this relaxer I will continue to use it.
If I am unable to find the old formula (aloe vera listed at the top of ingredients) I will have to search for something a little more gentle (a mild relaxer).

Last edited: