Healthy ends thread

shtow

I am really sad right now. My hair being MBL only lasted 5 minutes because I had a touch up and a lot of new growth. I got it cut a couple of weeks ago but it just hit me today :crying3:. At first when I noticed my "trim" I was upset for like a minute, but then I thought about how blunt and healthy my ends were. But now, I'm feeling it and really upset. Not to sound superficial, but I have put work into my hair and was ready to celebrate hitting MBL. I'm going to have to learn to dust my own ends from now on, cause I'm never letting another stylist come at me with scissors. Funny how a trim turns into me losing almost 3 inches of length. Never again!:wallbash:

AH well, at least the next time I hit MBL my ends will be gawjus:look:

:eek:ffrant:

So to piggy back off this rant, lets write about ways that we keep our ends healthy and away from scissor happy stylist.
List what works for you personally, not just general concepts. Ill start:

*personally, I know over moisturizing did not leave me with pretty ends
*dust as needed
*keep hair up when wearing rough material
*if your going to use direct heat, use QUALITY tools!

Sly

I'm with you! By the time I hit MBL I want "gorgeous" healthy ends. :grin:

here are a few contributions
once you receive a trim or blunt cut
* avoid a blow dryer at all costs. the constant tugging, pulling and hot air causes breakage and split ends; air dry or rollerset to dry
* avoid marcel flat irons/curlers at all costs. they are too hot, and thin hair out at every "pass". over time the ends become see through.:nono: use a quality ceramic plug in.
* use satin on old school sponge rollers, or pin curl or use steam rollers instead of hot curling every morning to style
* protect your ends (and edges) while sleeping; use satin or 100% silk scarves
* avoid hot curling hair that has not been washed
* use quality hair products

great thread!

shtow

I'm with you! By the time I hit MBL I want "gorgeous" healthy ends. :grin:

here are a few contributions
once you receive a trim or blunt cut
* avoid a blow dryer at all costs. the constant tugging, pulling and hot air causes breakage and split ends; air dry or rollerset to dry
* avoid marcel flat irons/curlers at all costs. they are too hot, and thin hair out at every "pass". over time the ends become see through.:nono: use a quality ceramic plug in.
* use satin on old school sponge rollers, or pin curl or use steam rollers instead of hot curling every morning to style
* protect your ends (and edges) while sleeping; use satin or 100% silk scarves
* avoid hot curling hair that has not been washed
* use quality hair products

great thread!

I agree. I am a blow dryer though lol And I must add that once I started using a QUALITY blow dryer, my hair has turned around for the better! It blow dries so smooth, soft and moisturized, and there is no hair in the comb, unlike my old one :grin:. I had the nerve to be using a cheap blow dryer but would not look at any other flat iron than my Sedu:lachen:. Also after using silk scarves, I will never go back to satin! You save money in the long run and the hair stays so much more moisturized. I had to give up satin because my hair would "peak" through the very small holes in them and rub and break

skatergurljubulee

Great post OP! When I (we) reach MBL the victory will be all the sweeter when we can look at our ends and see thickness and health.
* Use satin rollers when doing my braidouts to protect my ends while I sleep
*Dust when needed
*deep condition with every wash, concentrating on the ends
*Keep the ends protected during winter and off that coat!

choconillaprincess

this thread is soOo needed for me!... i've been caught somewhere between BSL and MBL for some time now and though i've been loving it i'm ready to move on to the next point (full MBL to WL) and i kno i've been REALLY slacking with my hair because i had reached my previous goal... my hair is straightend right now and i will be trimming them either this evening or tomorrow and I will go back to the baggying/no heat/frequent wash routine that got me to this point

kblc06

After a recent cut almost back to APL, I've vowed to do the following:

-Keep ends from splitting/knotting by keeping my hair stretched via rollersets, braidouts, etc. As much as I love wearing my hair in its completely natural state...it is NOT conductive to long term length retention
-Periodically dust to maintain ends, but decrease overall trims and scissor happiness
-Limit combing, manipulation, excessive heat & other things that may lead to breakage and splits in the first place
-Make sure ends are moisturized. And on the same note, despite what anyone says, make sure you incorporate a moderate protein in your weekly DC
-NO bandwagons
-Be consistent with taking Vits (I notice a big difference in the resiliency and growth rate of my hair when I get the proper nutritional intake)

Shtow, why didn't you trim after your relaxer? Wouldn't you have been able to distinguish the bad ends more clearly

Barbie83

subscribing!!!!

As much as I hate to admit this, I would have to say BUNNING is the best thing going for healthy ends, at least in my case. Slap some conditioner or leave-in moisture on those ends and tuck them away, away, AWAY.

shtow

After a recent cut almost back to APL, I've vowed to do the following:

-Keep ends from splitting/knotting by keeping my hair stretched via rollersets, braidouts, etc. As much as I love wearing my hair in its completely natural state...it is NOT conductive to long term length retention
-Periodically dust to maintain ends, but decrease overall trims and scissor happiness
-Limit combing, manipulation, excessive heat & other things that may lead to breakage and splits in the first place
-Make sure ends are moisturized. And on the same note, despite what anyone says, make sure you incorporate a moderate protein in your weekly DC
-NO bandwagons
-Be consistent with taking Vits (I notice a big difference in the resiliency and growth rate of my hair when I get the proper nutritional intake)

Shtow, why didn't you trim after your relaxer? Wouldn't you have been able to distinguish the bad ends more clearly
My stylist relaxed my hair, blow dried, flat ironed, and trimmed the same day.

prospurr4

Personally, I've been able to maintain healthy ends by:
- damp bunning
- avoiding direct heat
- keeping ends moisturized and off rough surfaces, ie like wearing a wool jacket or sitting on a fabric sofa.

morehairplease

Hey there sweetie,

Do you mind me asking what blow dryer you use? I am in the market for a quality blow dryer and flat iron.

tia,
morehairplease

shtow

Hey there sweetie,

Do you mind me asking what blow dryer you use? I am in the market for a quality blow dryer and flat iron.

tia,
morehairplease

I use the cricket tourmaline and ceramic blow dryer. Its blue and white. I got it at sally's. I LOVES it!:grin:

ShiShiPooPoo

Keep those ends off your clothes if possible.

Deep condition regularly and GENEROUSLY apply to the ends.

Dunk those ends in conditioner and tuck them in.

A little trim here and there.

Keep direct heat to a minimum.

Don't worry and mess in your hair all the time...leave it alone!

Lovie

Hey there sweetie,

tia,
morehairplease
MHP --
I know this question wasn't directed towards me..

But there are times when I just don't have the time to sit under a dryer or air dry, and I must blow dry. I was so afraid of blow drying for so long. However, healthy hair habits has allowed certain opportunities for occasional styling that would be harsh if used every day.

I have the following products for emergency styling, and none have damaged my hair over the past 2 years. I once had my friend sit behind and watch in the gym for a shed or fallen hair, and was astonished when my hair was styled wet to dry with a salon look, and maybe 3 strands of (shed) hair in the wide tooth snag free comb.

T-3 Bespokes Lab
Evolution Hair Dryer
$300

CHI Turbo Rocket Hair Dryer
$98 - $189

T-3 Narrow Flat Iron
$300

Superstar Supernova Flat Iron
$139

All are infused with tourmaline technology, which reduces the size of molecular H20, reducing time that heat is concentrated on hair shaft. Cermamic heats quickly for a smooth finish.

In addition, I use a heat protectant when I do. Fredrick Fekkai's Coiff Anti Thermal Mist, and Bain de Terre's Recovery Complex Serum.

These styling tools do not encourage healthy ends, but if you MUST use heat (as I sometimes choose to), they are some of the best on the market to have. I have never had a set back using these.

PS: A Mason Pearson Brush is a nice treat too. :eek:)

HHG.

ShiShiPooPoo

MHP --
I know this question wasn't directed towards me..

But there are times when I just don't have the time to sit under a dryer or air dry, and I must blow dry. I was so afraid of blow drying for so long. However, healthy hair habits has allowed certain opportunities for occasional styling that would be harsh if used every day.

I have the following products for emergency styling, and none have damaged my hair over the past 2 years. I once had my friend sit behind and watch in the gym for a shed or fallen hair, and was astonished when my hair was styled wet to dry with a salon look, and maybe 3 strands of (shed) hair in the wide tooth snag free comb.

T-3 Bespokes Lab
Evolution Hair Dryer
$300

CHI Turbo Rocket Hair Dryer
$98 - $189

T-3 Narrow Flat Iron
$300

Superstar Supernova Flat Iron
$139

All are infused with tourmaline technology, which reduces the size of molecular H20, reducing time that heat is concentrated on hair shaft. Cermamic heats quickly for a smooth finish.

In addition, I use a heat protectant when I do. Fredrick Fekkai's Coiff Anti Thermal Mist, and Bain de Terre's Recovery Complex Serum.

These styling tools do not encourage healthy ends, but if you MUST use heat (as I sometimes choose to), they are some of the best on the market to have. I have never had a set back using these.

PS: A Mason Pearson Brush is a nice treat too. :eek:)

HHG.

I have these two products as well and they are fabulous.:yep:

chebaby

my ends stay healthy and thick as long as i moisturize my ends with a water based moisturizer and then seal. i know my ends were the thickest when i used my jbco everyday but now im on coconut oil.
also when i pre poo and deep condition i make sure my ends are coated.
and stay away from stylists.

mscocoface

Very very helpful information especially the hair dryer information.

I keep my ends protected and I swear sometimes I can hear my ends asking for JBCO(Jamiacan Black Castor Oil) in the morning like a newborn wanting a bottle! :lachen:

When or if I ever get a blow dryer I know to get a quality one that has tourmaline.

Misting, moisture, wet, water, spritz, whatever it is called, I use it daily.

This one is really really hard, not being heavy handed or impatient when dealing with the ends. As a natural this can be a real issue when dealing with knots and tangles and just plain ole curly ends.

I have to remember the ends are the oldest, laziest and the most finiky part of the hair and when it is gone, it is gone.

Lovie

AMEN to that SSPP!! A toast to fabulosity in heat styling tools!

BTW,
For those who are trying to justify the cost in their head..
I misquoted the price on the T-3 Flat Iron. Its like $200. Sorry, that was a typo. Not that $200 is that much better.

They also have a cheaper line called T3 PRO which offers the same technology in more affordable products, most are around $119. Difference is lower wattage dryer and mini size flat iron, which still is better than anything you'll get in a hair supply store.

T-3 Products are sold at Sephora, Nordstrom, Pure Beauty, Ulta, and you can order off the website with their warranty. www.T3Micro.com

My justification? I easily spent $300 a month on a stylist/extension that used a product nowhere near as good as this on my head on relaxers, trims, sets, etc.... And then I left with no tool of my own for styling. For me, in the long run, I think a high-end styling tool is worth the investment -- if you will use it.

Lovie

ShiShiPooPoo..

Sorry to bring something different into the mix, but nay I ask what Damp Flat Ironing is? I have never heard of it. Is it what it sounds like? Do you use the wet-to-dry also?

tthreat08

Keep the ends moisturized (no matter your style of choice-bun or down), and limit use of blow dryer and hot curlers....don't be afraid to trim. I'd rather have healthy full and FAT ends then see through long ones.

CHECKMATE!

Sorry this happened to you (((HUGS)))...your ends will be all the healthier when you reach MBL once again :yep:

My 2cents

*S & D after your relaxer
*Coconut oil on the ends
*Protective styling (loose buns)

chebaby

last friday i got my ends trimmed and i was mad because although she always trims me with no problem this time she did it and THEN told me she evened it up. that made me mad because i have a very deep v and i love it and i was thinking she chopped it off but i washed, deep treated and flat ironed my hair last night and it seems i still have my same legnth but it is more even. im happy. it makes my ends seem healthier even though they werent damaged to begin with.

hillytmj

Your hair looks great, but I understand your pain. I hate when stylists cut too much!
Your hair is healthy, so you'll be MBL again in no time.

The key to maintaining healthy ends for me has been to trim only as needed (at a Supercuts type place where they only cut hair), low mani, moisturize/seal daily.

locabouthair

I dont know if anyone mentioned this but make sure you protect your ends with oil and conditioner when you relax. And of course try to minimize the overlapping.

simplyhair

Your hair looks great, but I understand your pain. I hate when stylists cut too much!
Your hair is healthy, so you'll be MBL again in no time.

The key to maintaining healthy ends for me has been to trim only as needed (at a Supercuts type place where they only cut hair), low mani, moisturize/seal daily.

Another lady told me about going to a Supercuts kind of place. That they are more inclined to doing exactly what you want. She contributes it to them being a little fearful/intimidated of messing up a black persons hair.

I don't know how true that is...it was her perspective/opinion. I did visit those kind of places a few times and they are not pushy about what should be done to your hair. But they are very precise (in a good way). They seem to do pretty good work.

SweetCaramel1

great thread. i got a trim 8 months ago (above pic) and it's grown back uneven again. now i need another trim but i just hate going to get it done.

i'm gonna buy some coconut oil today to see if that will help with breakage.

LovinLocks

List what works for you personally, not just general concepts. Ill start:

*personally, I know over moisturizing did not leave me with pretty ends

:blush:, realllly? Like right now I'm baggying my ends. How do ya know when it's "over" moisturized? I kinda always thought ya couldn't over do it when it comes to moisture (especially here in the dirty nawth where there is biting cold winds in winter, etc.).