Healthy ends thread

shtow

Sorry you are down Shtow but :spank: I am too surprised that you have not caught the hang of dusting on your own hair by now!!!

I know I am so ashamed!!! The 2 things I do not do to my own hair are cut and relax. My layers are almost grown out now and I don't want to create more of them:lachen::lachen::lachen:. But lately I have been looking up threads on dusting and self trimming and will try to learn how to do it lol

shtow

Your hair looks great, but I understand your pain. I hate when stylists cut too much!
Your hair is healthy, so you'll be MBL again in no time.

The key to maintaining healthy ends for me has been to trim only as needed (at a Supercuts type place where they only cut hair), low mani, moisturize/seal daily.

Sorry this happened to you (((HUGS)))...your ends will be all the healthier when you reach MBL once again :yep:

My 2cents

*S & D after your relaxer
*Coconut oil on the ends
*Protective styling (loose buns)

Thanks for the kind words. I don't ever want to let a stylist go near me with scissors again. I mean this stylist has watched me grow from SL damaged, broken off and bleached to healthy APL and BSL permanently colored hair to healthy MBL. I dont know....I know how people can be catty, don't let me get to WL, I wont even let anyone near me look at scissors lol

shtow

:blush:, realllly? Like right now I'm baggying my ends. How do ya know when it's "over" moisturized? I kinda always thought ya couldn't over do it when it comes to moisture (especially here in the dirty nawth where there is biting cold winds in winter, etc.).

Reallly! I know with my hair, water based moisturizers do not work. I think its because I always wear my hair straight, so the partial reversion makes the cuticle more rough because the hair is getting frizzy and the water based moisturizer is defeating the purpose of keeping straight hair--straight (if that makes sense). I don't see it as a major problem with wash and goes and styles like that though. Its hard to explain but I have noticed when I use butter and oils instead to water based moisturizers my ends stay in much better condition.

You can tell when you hair is over moisturized if it feels moisturized and is breaking (from lack of protein) and if it feels mushy. There is def such a thing as too much moisture.:yep: Im from Baltimore and it gets pretty cold here in the winter and I have found that my hair stays more moisturized with butters and oils than with water based. But thats just me, if baggying and the like work for you, by all means, do what works for you and your hair:grin:

Fine 4s

MHP --
I know this question wasn't directed towards me..

But there are times when I just don't have the time to sit under a dryer or air dry, and I must blow dry. I was so afraid of blow drying for so long. However, healthy hair habits has allowed certain opportunities for occasional styling that would be harsh if used every day.

I have the following products for emergency styling, and none have damaged my hair over the past 2 years. I once had my friend sit behind and watch in the gym for a shed or fallen hair, and was astonished when my hair was styled wet to dry with a salon look, and maybe 3 strands of (shed) hair in the wide tooth snag free comb.

T-3 Bespokes Lab
Evolution Hair Dryer
$300

CHI Turbo Rocket Hair Dryer
$98 - $189

T-3 Narrow Flat Iron
$300

Superstar Supernova Flat Iron
$139

All are infused with tourmaline technology, which reduces the size of molecular H20, reducing time that heat is concentrated on hair shaft. Cermamic heats quickly for a smooth finish.

In addition, I use a heat protectant when I do. Fredrick Fekkai's Coiff Anti Thermal Mist, and Bain de Terre's Recovery Complex Serum.

These styling tools do not encourage healthy ends, but if you MUST use heat (as I sometimes choose to), they are some of the best on the market to have. I have never had a set back using these.

PS: A Mason Pearson Brush is a nice treat too. :eek:)

HHG.

Not only 'if used every day.' but also using possibly damaging tools on ALREADY not-so-healthy-hair. Using a marcel curling iron on healthy hair shafts (occasionally) vs. using a marcel iron on hair that is damaged or very close to damaged. You can enjoy close to worry-free usage of poor styling tools only when you've put in the work.

alopeciagrl

I'm with you! By the time I hit MBL I want "gorgeous" healthy ends. :grin:

here are a few contributions
once you receive a trim or blunt cut
* avoid a blow dryer at all costs. the constant tugging, pulling and hot air causes breakage and split ends; air dry or rollerset to dry
* avoid marcel flat irons/curlers at all costs. they are too hot, and thin hair out at every "pass". over time the ends become see through.:nono: use a quality ceramic plug in.
* use satin on old school sponge rollers, or pin curl or use steam rollers instead of hot curling every morning to style
* protect your ends (and edges) while sleeping; use satin or 100% silk scarves
* avoid hot curling hair that has not been washed
* use quality hair products

great thread!

Thanks again! These are very good tips. I'm going to begin trying the air dry method after my Ayurvedic challenge.

However my two cents was to give your ends oil baths. Simply dip your hair in olive oil, jojoba or oils of choice. Wrap hair with a towel for fifteen minutes...especially if you are blow drying.

Oh yeah and as for your stylist she should have never cut off all your hair. 3 INCHES...LAWD ah mighty...that's unexcepetable...She didn't have to make everything even. All of your hard work for her to cut it off. I'm heated for you!

Last edited:

shtow

Thanks again! These are very good tips. I'm going to begin trying the air dry method after my Ayurvedic challenge.

However my two cents was to give your ends oil baths. Simply dip your hair in olive oil, jojoba or oils of choice. Wrap hair with a towel for fifteen minutes...especially if you are blow drying.

Oh yeah and as for your stylist she should have never cut off all your hair. 3 INCHES...LAWD ah mighty...that's unexcepetable...She didn't have to make everything even. All of your hard work for her to cut it off. I'm heated for you!

Yes, girl!!! Every time I think about it I get so mad that I'm calm :lachen::lachen::lachen:. Its like I'm upset but the hair is gone, and all I can do is wait six long months for it to grow back to that length:ohwell:. I put a lot of work in my hair and I was ecstatic to reach mbl. I was ready to post pics and everything, and now its gone (sigh). So I will be reading up as much as I can on dusting.

gn1g

great thread. i got a trim 8 months ago (above pic) and it's grown back uneven again. now i need another trim but i just hate going to get it done.

i'm gonna buy some coconut oil today to see if that will help with breakage.

wouldn't you need protein / reconstructor?

ajoyfuljoy

My honest opinion:

PATIENCE, healthy hair care and trimming.

My ends have never, I repeat, NEVER been as healthy as they are now. They feel like the rest of my hair and are very thick. All of my hair is soft. But after two years of being on this board, this is the hair I grew with LHCF and it's making all the difference.

Hair that isn't taken care of won't age well. Point blank. In the meantime, keep trimming or cutting until you are happy with what you see and healthy hair care will take you to your goal.

Ivy Santolina

Thanks OP for creating this thread. Thanks every one else for your sharing your successful healthy ends practices. My way to healthy ends include ACV rinses. I just recently started using ACV rinses again and my ends responded well. I have a lot less breakage. I still moisturize and seal my ends every other night with a spray leave-in and a light oil. I stopped using butters on my ends because my ends would feel brittle. I think it was due to the cold weather. I plan on sealing my ends with butters during the summer because they provide more protection against the heat and the sun.

Jaxhair

So sorry she cut your hair off Shtow. I'd be mad too... takes a long time to grow hair, and for one to take 6 months worth is plain mean. I hope you told her you weren't pleased?

I'm new to this game, so taking on board what's being discussed. I'm a natural and after 14 months I think I've cracked it.... I'll have to wait and see, but I pray that all I'm learning in the hair sites and moulding to suit my hair will pay dividends in a few years.

Healthy ends sure are a must for retention - at least you now are motivated to trim/dust your own hair - good luck with that!

I have been using ag fast food as a leave in conditioner for my ends especially and it seems to be doing the trick as far as keeping the splits down. I also do my trimming, dusting. I don't think i will let a stylist trim my hair again until i reach my hair length goals.

ScarletPhoenix

Keeping my ends moisturized is the hardest thing for me. I am bunning now so I don't mind using conditioner on my ends and wrapping. I believe that I need to get a silk pillowcase too...my scarf isn't staying on like it should be

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Your hair looks great, but I understand your pain. I hate when stylists cut too much!
Your hair is healthy, so you'll be MBL again in no time.

The key to maintaining healthy ends for me has been to trim only as needed (at a Supercuts type place where they only cut hair), low mani, moisturize/seal daily.

Thanks for this post because I am really thinking about going to Supercuts or the Haircuttery for a trim. I thought I was being a bit paranoid but I've had some hatchet jobs.

Closeout

sorry about the "trim".... but like a couple of people has said on here.... at least you have ALL healthy hair. I know it really sucks knowing that all your hard work and effort jsut got cut off... but hey, at least you can grow it back... right????

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
-Dusting to even up hemline as needed.
-low manipulation (as in not combing very often. I know some people frown on this but it has really helped to thicken my hair all over)
-castor and olive oils for sealing. Coconut oil protects ends as well.
-Wearing hair in PS 99% of the time. This truly helps. Have been doing this from the start of my journey two years ago at SL.
-Sleeping in satin bonnet or scarf every night. The times in my journey when I let up on this my ends suffered. Now I always wear them both cause I got serious hair goals.

Sui Topi

To me, it is not combing, and since I am natural, making sure to set my hair in some sort of way until it is dry so I don't get single strand knots. I'm so pissed, it's almost a year since I cut my hair and I am only now understanding how to take care of my ends so as to keep my length. If you can imagine I've been wearing a wng for almost one year :nono: and combing my over moisturized hair every day in the shower. My whole head except for my bang area has like mad single strand knots and splits and I am trimming them a little bit at a time. I think I have like 1 inch more of crap to cut off and I am trying to baby my hair until June when I will just hack it off. I'm waiting until June because I just want to see my hair a little longer. I feel like I've been here for ever and with all my trimming, breakage etc, I think I pretty much have.

Kimiche

Good ideas ladies. I just had a major setback as well OP, so I know how you feel. My ends would get dry and break off no matter what I used. Personally the shorter my hair gets, the less I want to bother to take care of it. I know sounds bad but that's the truth. See I know that I would definitely bun if I had longer hair. It's hard to make a decent bun and the only up dos that I can do now is if I have in one of those jaw clips. :wallbash:

I'm on a mission once again, just need to find the right products. I am getting braids for a few months, so I'll be able to do a little more research once it's in braids.

empressri

I got my trim yesterday and my last flat iron was...April. He said my ends weren't that bad and only took off and inch which isn't bad for 6 months. Only thing I was doing all summer was shampooing once, then cowashing 4 days later, and when I did a wash and go I would put some type of hair butter or hair cream on the ends.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I've been bunning non-stop, baggying as needed, using NO direct heat, indirect heat for DC, m&s twice daily.....etc. I'm looking at my ends like dang, they are really uneven. Do ends simply just split and grow uneven just 'cause?

NikkiGirl

Shtow I wouldn't worry about it. I want to make MBL too. But I want my hair to be pretty when I get there. I just got a trim too. I didn't off three inched, but my hair looked great afterwards and I will try to focus on that.

Glamiam

so it's okay to leave conditioner on your ends without washing it out!??

If so I can only imagine what good that would do for my hair especially when I bun:drunk: