Healthy hair but not beautiful....can anyone else relate?

Smiley79

I was surfing through the forum last night and I was looking at so many BEAUTIFUL heads of hair. And I'm not talking about just legnth, I've seen short, long, relaxed, natural. I'm talking about shiny, sleek, smooth amd gorgeous hair. So it hit me that although my hair is currently in the healthiest condition that it's ever been thanks to my membership to LHCF, the one thing that i cannot claim is having "beautiful" hair or hair that looks as good as it is healthy. Can anyone else relate to this? Could it be that I invested so much energy my regimen of poos, conditioners, pre-poos, growth aids,etc that I forgot to learn about styling/finishing products? Or should that look come naturally with my healthy hair care?

PS) Don't go by that last pic in my sig because that was a weave bang piece so that I could have achieved that sleek look for the front back when i took the pic.

wheezy807

I can't relate.:perplexed Healthy hair IS beautiful hair to me. I've never seen someone with healthy hair and didn't think it was beautiful. Your hair is beautiful to me. I like the middle pic in your siggy especially.:grin:

Squikee

I'm in the same boat. I've been taking really good care of my hair and haven't put any heat in it (other than deep conditioning) all year. But my hair doesn't look like I would think it would. I wonder what I need to do . . .

Taina

I can't relate.:perplexed Healthy hair IS beautiful hair to me. I've never seen someone with healthy hair and didn't think it was beautiful. Your hair is beautiful to me. I like the middle pic in your siggy especially.:grin:
Indeed
Maybe your hair is healthier than ever, but is not still completely heal and that's why you don't see it, as healthier as others.

@Squikee : Honey your hair has improve a lot!! congrats on that, and keep doing your regi because your hair is really responding.

knt1229

Other people probably think you have beautiful hair even if you don't. Your hair in the middle pic of your siggy looks good to me.

Smiley79

Thanks girls, but soon after that middle pic I did the BC because what lied beneath was nothing nice...so much uneveness and fooloshness so chopped away and gave myself a fresh start. Well I feel better venting...lol. Gradually I'll get there I guess.

Bianna125

Could it be that I invested so much energy my regimen of poos, conditioners, pre-poos, growth aids,etc that I forgot to learn about styling/finishing products? Or should that look come naturally with my healthy hair care?

I think all healthy hair is beautiful! You can have healthy hair and not styled hair (which is what I have 95% of the time) I wish my healthy hair would be sleek and bumped under every day :grin: but it takes effort.

Smiley79

Don't get me wrong girls, I'm happy with my hair, it's helathy meaning that it doesn't break or shed and it's growing at a decent pace since my BC. I just meant that it doesn't have that shine or polished look that I would like to achieve....but overall I see your point. Healthy=Beautiful.

Smiley79

Very true, That is a factor too Hopeful...My hair is in that limbo legnth where it's at the crossroad of being a BC but at the same timing getting to the end of the tunnel of getting some legnth again. I think when it gets a bit longer I can maybe "see" the beauty a bit better.

Neith

I am at that wierd inbetween stage of growing out short hair too. I always wear my hair back for that reason.

Just stick through it. Your hair will get longer and get some weight to it and behave better.

Good luck! :bighug:

Victorian

old head
I know what you mean -- I'm a bit style challenged, so even when things are going well with my regimen and my hair is growing and all...it can still look a hot mess sometimes :lol: This has been especially true for me since going natural.
I found that I've had fewer of those not-so-beautiful hair days as time goes on--not because my hair needed to get healthier, but because I needed to improve my styling techniques or just get used to doing them often. Practice makes perfect :yep:

Crystal22

Don't forget OP, that while browsing through albums a lot of ladies may be taking pics of their hair freshly done. It does not necessarily mean their hair looks like that every single day. My hair looks great, sleek, bouncy, shiny when I first do it/get it done, but a few days later its back to its normal self..not bad... just not right out the salon looking anymore. If I tried to emulate that look every single day, I probably wouldn't be retaining anything.

Bianna125

Don't forget OP, that while browsing through albums a lot of ladies may be taking pics of their hair freshly done. It does not necessarily mean their hair looks like that every single day. My hair looks great, sleek, bouncy, shiny when I first do it/get it done, but a few days later its back to its normal self..not bad... just not right out the salon looking anymore. If I tried to emulate that look every single day, I probably wouldn't be retaining anything.

:grin: Haha, this is exactly right. It takes time to get the "perfect" picture to post on here! It only looks shiny and bouncy once every few months!

LushLox

I know exactly how you feel, I thought I was the only one :look: I don't seem to have pretty hair days too much, it looks good after I wash and condition it, but a few days later it just looks rather blah, particularly when I'm months + post. Sometimes I get tempted to colour or start using heat a bit more, just for a change and to jazz up my hair, but I just know this will probably lead me down the miserable path to Setback City, so I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing. It's not broke so I'm not going to try and fix it.

Last edited:

hothair

Don't forget OP, that while browsing through albums a lot of ladies may be taking pics of their hair freshly done. It does not necessarily mean their hair looks like that every single day... If I tried to emulate that look every single day, I probably wouldn't be retaining anything.

:yep: At the bolded.

I understand how you feel OP - its what led me to BKT and find a way to wear cute styles while growing out my hair. I use phony ponies and clip ins to keep myself fly till I get the length I want.

I also don't want to get to a length I'm happy with and not know how to style and care for it without losing all of my progress. (Happened before)

brittanynic16

I know what you mean. I use to have that problem too. Its the styling. No point in having healthy hair if its not styled IMO. Just take the time to learn how to style and you'll have great hair at any length.

yardgirl

I'm in the same boat. I've been taking really good care of my hair and haven't put any heat in it (other than deep conditioning) all year. But my hair doesn't look like I would think it would. I wonder what I need to do . . .

:blush: @ that pic That's a lot of progress in just 8 months :congrats:

bludaydreamr

I know what you mean. I use to have that problem too. Its the styling. No point in having healthy hair if its not styled IMO. Just take the time to learn how to style and you'll have great hair at any length.
I understand your point, but if you don't know how, you just don't know how. Before I found the boards I went to the shop for everything, so I can relate to the OP. I can't cornrow, or flat twist, and I'm natural so this limits my styling options. I have tried to practice, but it always turns out as a H.A.M.

Melissa-jane

I see your point, my hair is the healthiest it has ever been but without styling it can look a little unkempt and not perfect like the Black hair magazine definition. Mind you people rarely upload photos of a bad hair day, more like a good hair day with some new found length. If we could see each other at our worst we would not be so hard on ourselves.

Melissa-jane

I understand your point, but if you don't know how, you just don't know how. Before I found the boards I went to the shop for everything, so I can relate to the OP. I can't cornrow, or flat twist, and I'm natural so this limits my styling options. I have tried to practice, but it always turns out as a H.A.M.

sometimes i can not be bothered so i just wash and go and stick my chin in the air :drunk:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
I think all healthy hair is beautiful! You can have healthy hair and not styled hair (which is what I have 95% of the time) I wish my healthy hair would be sleek and bumped under every day :grin: but it takes effort.

I was about to say that! When my hair is not styled, that's when it looks like I rolled out of bed with a birds nest on my head! :lachen: If you expect to always have smooth sleek hair, then expect to be wrapping, rollersetting, braiding, and flat ironing 100 percent of the time! Just as long as it's healthy, you can always work on different styling options. I'm a scaredy cat though...I just keep mines bunned up because I don't want to flat iron it or rollerset all the time :look:

shunemite

Don't get me wrong girls, I'm happy with my hair, it's helathy meaning that it doesn't break or shed and it's growing at a decent pace since my BC. I just meant that it doesn't have that shine or polished look that I would like to achieve....but overall I see your point. Healthy=Beautiful.
Gosh, I can relate. I have a bob that's healthy coz I don't use the curling iron in the mornings but it's not sleeek. Hey what are you doing with my husband's pic in your sig :lachen:?

brittanynic16

That is why you learn.

ladytee2

I am so there. My hair is so much healthier than it has been in like 10 years but it does look like a ham. I havent been using heat because I am trying to grow out color damage. But my hair is so frizzy. I am trying to accept that that is my natural hair and I have to live with it. I read I think it was CurlyNikki where she said a few months after she started her journey she had new little hairs pop up all her head. So I am hoping that that is my problem. I hope my hair will look much smoother when the little frizzy hairs grow out. But I dont feel very attractive with a fizz fro everyday.

vkb247

My hair is the healthiest it has ever been thanks to LHCF but generally I don't think that it is beautiful especially when I am wearing it out.

I think that one of the reasons that my hair doesn't look as beautiful as many of the heads I see here is because my hair is coarse it is not naturally shiny and looks pretty textured even when straightened (see my siggy). I can make it look very straight and silky but it requires more heat than I want to use on a regular basis and more effort than what it is worth because it doesn't last very long.

Another reason is because I use a relaxer. Yeah relaxed hair can be healthy but I was reading a thread one day and a member with beautiful natural hair posted a pic of here hair when it was texlaxed and it looked something like my texlaxed hair. But her natural hair looks so much better to me. Now that I am 6 months post my new growth is so much more shiny and vibrant that my relaxed ends. I really want to texturize so my hair will hang lower but I cannot deny how much more beautiful my natural hair looks.

HeChangedMyName

I can definitely relate. once my hair cut the corner from thin shabby over processed hair and I finally trimmed it off and revealed a head of thick texlaxexed(didn't know I was doing it, but was afraid of overprocessing) hair, i was nearly mortified. i thought it was puffy and uncontrollable. I had to learn that healthy hair can't be managed the same way as damaged hair.

tocktick

Your hair is probably at an awkward length. Give it a few more months.

This is the situation with me. It's healthy but it isn't particularly beautiful. Once in a while, I have a good hair day but for the most part I'm stuck with a puff. I do not believe that my hair being healthy automatically makes it pretty. Although I value health over length, I believe my hair would look more visually appealing once it's longer and I have more styles available to me. I have the skills but not the length to get the styles to look how I want them to most of the time.

Last edited: