Healthy hair but not beautiful....can anyone else relate?

mzsophisticated26

I totally feel u on this because my overall health has improved but I don't have beautiful hair due to thinning edges, thin/bald spots at temples and very thin crown. Once I fix those areas then I would be able to enjoy my progress of my healthy hair

Neith

I think that healthy hair tends to be pretty even if it's not perfectly done up. I'm sure that people can tell that the hair is healthy anyway.

I think my hair can be beautiful at times :look:

but it's a work in progress. My hair is uneven and really has a ways to go. Eventually I want it longer with nice even, thick ends. It will be more beautiful in the future!

I see many beautiful heads in this discussion too :yep:

Let's not be THAT hard on ourselves. We will get to a better place soon. It's just going to take time and patience.

Angel of the North

I know exactly where you are coming from, the main problem with my hair is my ends!!!:nono: Even after a trim they look dry and split when they're not, this obviously affects the overall look of my hair. I still get compliments on how healthy and beautiful my hair is although I don't personally think it's all that. since joining lhcf, I've been taking the most care and pride in my hair than I had done in years and it seems to be paying off as my hair is very healthy, now that to me is the most important thing. I have also learnt from the other members that progress means time so I need to be patient and grateful for what I have b/c there are many women out there far less fortunate than myself when it comes to the hair dept. If we are talking quality in your 2nd and 3rd pictures your hair looks amazing, strong and healthy. Good luck with growing back those lovely locks.

To Squikee: What mirror you looking in girl??? When I saw your pictures I was amazed at the transfomation in your hair, it looks thicker, longer and in better condition than the first photo, the progress is there for those who have eyes to see it! You are very inspiring and I want to congratulate you for sticking it out, remember it's all about time and patience:yep:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I think a good trim can make all the difference in the hair's appearance. Whenever I think my ends look raggedy a trim makes ALL the difference.

Ramya

I know what you mean. I use to have that problem too. Its the styling. No point in having healthy hair if its not styled IMO. Just take the time to learn how to style and you'll have great hair at any length.

I feel the same way. You can have healthy STYLED hair. Maybe it's just me but my hair has to be styled in some kind of way. It looks like my hair pictures all the time. You don't have to sacrifice beauty for health. Just learn to work with what you have. :yep:

Smiley79

Wow...I'm at work at can't read all the posts but just skimming through them I feel better that you all get my point...and my conclusion is that the same energy that I had put into getting healthy hair and learning about it, I will next put it into style and overall aesthetics of my hair. I just need to get through the growing out phase...HURRY UP HAIR!!!! lol...anyways, I'll finish reading the posts when i get home, ttyl LHCF Fam!

Angel of the North

...and my conclusion is that the same energy that I had put into getting healthy hair and learning about it, I will next put it into style and overall aesthetics of my hair. I just need to get through the growing out phase...HURRY UP HAIR!!!! lol...!

Is that the sound of a new challenge I'm hearing? If it is honey I'm with you on that one. I'm something like 90%care and maintenance 10% beauty/presentation

When you reach those lengths, get that thread started

alanaj

I understand. After I BC'ed I think I've gone through a number of stages. Sometimes I think my hair is at a length where I can handle it and I know the results and know how to make it look good but then there are stretches where I don't know how/ don't have the time or can't make the effort to make it look as good as it could possibly be. Then I look at other naturals and think how pretty their hair looks.
I think its jut a matter of time until u get to that point where u can make everything click.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
Dang Squikee!! You grow girl!!!:grin:

I'm in the same boat. I've been taking really good care of my hair and haven't put any heat in it (other than deep conditioning) all year. But my hair doesn't look like I would think it would. I wonder what I need to do . . .

bestblackgirl

Yea My hair is really healthy... But i dont like to wear it out because I think it is just blah... I look at you guys hair and they are shiny and beautiful, but I never think mine is.

aa9746

I was surfing through the forum last night and I was looking at so many BEAUTIFUL heads of hair. And I'm not talking about just legnth, I've seen short, long, relaxed, natural. I'm talking about shiny, sleek, smooth amd gorgeous hair. So it hit me that although my hair is currently in the healthiest condition that it's ever been thanks to my membership to LHCF, the one thing that i cannot claim is having "beautiful" hair or hair that looks as good as it is healthy. Can anyone else relate to this? Could it be that I invested so much energy my regimen of poos, conditioners, pre-poos, growth aids,etc that I forgot to learn about styling/finishing products? Or should that look come naturally with my healthy hair care?

PS) Don't go by that last pic in my sig because that was a weave bang piece so that I could have achieved that sleek look for the front back when i took the pic.

I can relate.

Ashleescheveux

I can relate, I feel like my hair looks horrible 80% of the time but what I've learned is that you can have healthy hair thats not style to your preference making you feel like its not beautiful, when it rather is :)

BeautifulFlower

BTW...this thread totally got me wanting to trim my hair again. SO I DID!

I think I've cut 3+ inches in the past 4 weeks. I need to walk away from scissors.
But I am happy now. My ends look better and I blowdried it semi-straight so it looks and feels healthier.

Thanks for the thread OP.

Squikee

:blush: @ that pic That's a lot of progress in just 8 months :congrats:

Thank you so much!! I haven't put any heat in my hair and I wear wigs everyday so I'm sure that has helped. But my hair is wet in the before and air dried in the after so that may make it look like more than it really is???? IDK

SmilingElephant

Yea My hair is really healthy... But i dont like to wear it out because I think it is just blah... I look at you guys hair and they are shiny and beautiful, but I never think mine is.

I feel like this as well. I feel like my hair looks so mediocre compared to alot of the other ladies on here :(

Smiley79

great comments...I can't wait for my hair to grow out and then I could pamper it make it look divalicious, lol

crazydaze911

I feel very similar as well. When i take my progress pics, i have my hair blowdried and flatironed straight as possible by a professional, but on a regular basis i wear buns EVERYDAY and half wigs on the weekend sometimes.

i hate that my hair doesnt stay back sleek and neat, its always frizzy and puffy even though i use gel EVERYDAY (giovanni mixed with aloe vera) to hold it back. I just want to look neat and not messy, but it seems to require heat or brushing my hair till my eyes are asian like my mom did when i was a child - im sure my hairline/big forehead are at least partially a direct result of this - lol.

And unfortunately wearing a hat to work is not an option. i just feel by the end of the day i look A MESS and am embarrassed to walk with other women who look more 'put together' than i do b/c there hair is styled (usually with the DREADED HEAT). I do want long hair, but im a slow grower - so i just wonder how long i will have to sacrifice looking neat and presentable. is this a societal problem - like all the comments about michelle obamas hair? am i feeding into it?

I feel like one of those little kids who comes home with messy hair every day after school :(

mscocoface

I understand. I am very very critical of my hair and hair styles so more often than not I don't consider my hair beautiful. Healthy, thick, decent length...yes but beautiful I think when I get the length that will let me do those fantastical buns and hairstyles like Sonce and Sera252 then that is when I will say it is beautiful.

I don't mark beauty with shine, definition, waves, no waves. I don't have light reflective hair so the only time it shines is when I put some oil in it or when in the distant past I did flat ironing.

I define beauty a different way. I do not have the Pantene mode hair my beauty is or will be different. :yep:

WantNatural

I feel very similar as well. When i take my progress pics, i have my hair blowdried and flatironed straight as possible by a professional, but on a regular basis i wear buns EVERYDAY and half wigs on the weekend sometimes.

i hate that my hair doesnt stay back sleek and neat, its always frizzy and puffy even though i use gel EVERYDAY (giovanni mixed with aloe vera) to hold it back. I just want to look neat and not messy, but it seems to require heat or brushing my hair till my eyes are asian like my mom did when i was a child - im sure my hairline/big forehead are at least partially a direct result of this - lol.

And unfortunately wearing a hat to work is not an option. i just feel by the end of the day i look A MESS and am embarrassed to walk with other women who look more 'put together' than i do b/c there hair is styled (usually with the DREADED HEAT). I do want long hair, but im a slow grower - so i just wonder how long i will have to sacrifice looking neat and presentable. is this a societal problem - like all the comments about michelle obamas hair? am i feeding into it?

I feel like one of those little kids who comes home with messy hair every day after school :(

I completely understand and agree - I feel like those little kids too. My hair is frizzy, no amount or type of gel will give me the sleek bun, whether air-dried or dried with heat. My hair is at its healthiest, and I'm really excited about transitioning, but I'm in a really awkward stage right now, and I want my hair to look as good as it feels.

Desarae

Girl I feel you my hair does not look good everyday. Some days I just airdry it, moisturize and slap a headband on it and call it a day, but as long as I KNOW it's healthy and growing, I don't really care, even if it doesen't look "done"

Now don't get me wrong, I can do it UP if I want to, but there's no need to be divalicious everysingleday IMO.

MizzCoco

I totally relate. I'm still trying to re-condition my mind away from that flat-ironed to death straight sleek look I used to have everyday, and focus on keeping my hair moisturized and protected, but my styles are not usually very cute. I'm still very style challenged. It just takes patience, and practice I guess.