Healthy Loc Support Thread 2012

RockCreak

Helllerrrrrr!

I've been searching and searching and really haven't found any threads that support locs... so let this be the first (I guess, could be wrong so don't quote me).

Anyway, I thought it would be nice for ladies/gents to have a "go to" thread for those who currently have locs, inquiring about locs or simply just want to know more about them. I'll do my best in answering any questions and do welcome those who have experience with locs to chime in as well!

Locs = cultivated, sisterlocs, brotherlocs, freeform, braidlocs, etc

Before we get started, lets clear the air and get a couple of the basic myths out of the way about locs:

1 - Locs are filthy and dirty- umm negative, you can wash locs just like you would normally wash your hair
2 - Locs were invented due to smoking mary j which caused laziness... umm negative! Locs been around for centuries.. has nothing to do with someone getting down with mary j.. find another reason to blame your use of weedz. :lachen:
3 - Locs cause damage to hair and scalp - if you are not properly caring for your hair and scalp, just about anything will cause damage.. not just locs
4 - Locs have to be cut out - not true... although most who are ready to depart with their locs choose this method because it's easier does not mean that they cannot opt to comb them out. It will just take some time.. a whole lotta time but it's possible!

There are a few others but you get the picture.

Joining/supporting this thread is simple. Just post a pic, comment, suggestion, advice, regi, products, styles or anything that will help support and encourage those on their journey!

Thanks for supporting :grin:!

Last edited:

RockCreak

Welp,

Since I started this, I may as well be the first to post in this thread.

I have a simple method right now:

Begin my loc journey Mar 2011.

Products:
Poo with Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap (very diluted)
Olive Oil, JBCO and peppermint oil (very lighlty)
Olive Oil gel for retwisting

A few current pics of my progress:

I don't style much as of yet. Just let them hang a free will or toss a head band on. I'm just personally waiting for more length before I try a few styles. :look:

CountryBumpkin

Hi.

I have been lurking for a couple weeks now, and I saw this thread and decided to pay for a subscription and respond.

I have locs, about the same length as yours. I started lurking here because my hair grows very very slowly. It always has, and it took ages before I needed a retouch when I had a relaxer.

I get frustrated and tend to cut my hair before it gets to the length that I want because it takes so long to grow.

I got a few tips of products and supplements to try from here, and I need help not to get frustrated and whack them off when they don't grow as fast everybody else's.

I love your locs, and I see the potential for some styles, like maybe some updos, or get some perm rods or pipecleaners and wetset them for a curled look. People do it with even shorter locs than ours. Have you searched youtube?

OhSoOthentik

I am currently five months in to my braidloc journey. They have thickened up and really look locked in the back but still have a distinct braid pattern in the front. I'll add pictures later. Thanks for starting this thread. I currently use Dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap for washing, avocado and olive oil for hot oil treatments, monthly acv rinse and I maintain my locs with the nappylocs tool. I mostly wear my locs down and loose, but for the holiday season I have worn them curled (using soft spikes). I plan to buy some peppermint eo soon to add to the olive and avocado oils.

Saga

The Generous Queen
I am 2 months into my journey, and I'm keeping it as basic as possible.

Wash 1x every wk-10 days
Retwist once a month with Taliah waajid Lock it Up
Spritz with AVG & Water
Oil scalp and locs with mixture of EVOO, Hot Six Oil, and Vatika Oil

MrsMe

Hello ladies!! My subscription is about to expire, but I might renew it just for that thread! :yay:
RockCreak your locs are lovely!!
I've had my locs for about 2 1/2 years now and I'm still not satisfied with them. I'm tempted to take them out, but I can't stomach the idea of throwing away over 30 months of TLC. My main issue is that some areas barely or do not grow at all, so it is frustrating. Plus my locs are a little bit on the thin side, but that's mainly because I started them small/medium size. I like their size, not the lack of fullness if you know what I mean.
I don't have any pictures because I'm on my phone, but I'll come back to post a couple later.

Sent from my PG86100

alive

i'm not locked but i've always been curious about it.

OP, you mentioned that locks can be combed out. does this do damage to the cuticle or cause split ends? i'd always thought that cutting is the best option for removing locks

Tiye

Good to see this thread. I'm not locked right now but I've had them on and off for many years and cultivated them for other people. We need more representation here. :) About the lock "comb out" in my experience that depends on the hair type or you can break a lot of hair in the process and have some very thinned out ends to show for it. No one has to shave their hair bald to come out of locks that's just a preference because some people want a brand new start. The first 3-5 inches of locks closest to the root are never fully locked anyway. If you snip in that area then pick the hair apart you have a fuller root to tip start. Again it depends on the hair type.

OhSoOthentik

I finally purchased some peppermint oil and jojoba oil. So now I have have been using a mixture of avocado, jojoba, and peppermint oil. I really like it. It's not too greasy and my locs feel really soft.

OhSoOthentik

Here is one picture of my braidlocs from month two. I am trying to upload more but having some trouble.:ohwell:

Attachments

• 302982_10150829742945195_533240194_21497618_1900324634_n.jpg
    302982_10150829742945195_533240194_21497618_1900324634_n.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

goldielocs

Hello!!!

My locs will be 10 years old on Valentines 2012. They have been cultivated in almost every way possible, but I've been freeforming for about a year. My reggie is super easy. I wash with either black soap or ayurvedic herbs and then oil with castor oil. That's it. When I do style them, I do bantu knots on Friday night and leave it in for the weekend. They are just at my booty, but that's not saying much because I'm only 4'11". I have cut them several times so they would have been longer.

I need to take some pics... I'll pop back in later to post those. I'm glad you started this thread.

Evolving78

i love locs! i was pop loc'in before i made the switch back to the creamy crack! whenever i decide to go back to the natural side, i will start my loc journey again. no loose hair for me. loose hair was too much trouble once it got longer.

you have to treat locs like children. you can be so proud of them one moment and the next, they can act like a toddler strung out on sugar! :lachen:

Last edited:

leiah

Thanks for posting this. I don't have locs anymore, but I take care of my son's and husband's. They both have freeform locs. My husband has been growing his for over 10 years they are very thick and awesome. My son is 15 months and his are just starting to form.

My husband uses dr bronner's soap and oils. sometimes he uses my shampoos and conditioners but not often

On my son we use johnson's naturals baby shampoo and olive oil.

OP, you mentioned that locks can be combed out. does this do damage to the cuticle or cause split ends? i'd always thought that cutting is the best option for removing locks

I tried combing out mine - I spent 8 hours on one and my hair was very very broken when I finished. At that point I decided to cut them all off.

I know that I will eventually loc my hair again. Probably in a few years when it is very long

goldielocs

i love locs! i was pop loc'in before i made the switch back to the creamy crack! whenever i decide to go back to the natural side, i will start my loc journey again. no loose hair for me. loose hair was too much trouble once it got longer.

you have to treat locs like children. you can be so proud of them one moment and the next, the can act like a toddler strung out on sugar! :lachen:

YES!!!!:lachen:

Raspberry

Have fun with your loc journey OP! Locs were by far the most carefree hair experience of my life. I washed and conditioned frequently from day 1, embraced the fuzz, ignored the haters, and I was rewarded with healthy fast growing locs that hit maturity and sprouted like a weed around the 2 year mark.

alive There's a few women on here who combed out their locs, including me. I had minimal damage along the shaft and cut maybe two inches from the ends after all was said and don't, I rarely trimmed as a natural so that was needed regardless. I had done a lot of research before I started and took my time while removing them - took about 6 weeks. I then relaxed my hair a few weeks later and my virgin relaxed hair was super thick and healthy - no split ends.

This is what my locs looked like 9 months before I removed them, I dyed them a dark subtle burgundy color soon after this pic, which added luster.

Michelle1971

Ooohhh, a loc thread!
I have had my locs for 3.5 years now. My first set I had for about 6 years.
I freeform and use Hot 6 oil and/or castor oil.

MrsMe

Here are a couple of pics of my two and a half years old locs. They are called mature now, but they are still very temperamental at times. :lol:
The ends are lighter than the roots because I used to henna my loose naps.

Sent from my PG86100

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1325815547345.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1325815547345.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 160
  • uploadfromtaptalk1325815688607.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1325815688607.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 149

alive

thanks Raspberry. that's really good to know! your hair looks really healthy in that pic by the way :yep:

Have fun with your loc journey OP! Locs were by far the most carefree hair experience of my life. I washed and conditioned frequently from day 1, embraced the fuzz, ignored the haters, and I was rewarded with healthy fast growing locs that hit maturity and sprouted like a weed around the 2 year mark.

alive There's a few women on here who combed out their locs, including me. I had minimal damage along the shaft and cut maybe two inches from the ends after all was said and don't, I rarely trimmed as a natural so that was needed regardless. I had done a lot of research before I started and took my time while removing them - took about 6 weeks. I then relaxed my hair a few weeks later and my virgin relaxed hair was super thick and healthy - no split ends.

This is what my locs looked like 9 months before I removed them, I dyed them a dark subtle burgundy color soon after this pic, which added luster.

FoxxyLocs

I was locked for 2.5 years. I loved the ease of taking care of them but as they got longer they were really full and made me look like a lion when I wore them down, lol. I ended up wearing them in a ponytail most of the time.

I combed them out last year. It took 3 months and I had to cut off a lot of damage. I also think my hair is more prone to split ends and ssks since I took them out.

Sent from my HTC Evo

CountryBumpkin

Just popping back in to say hello again.

I am trying a few things with my hair mentioned on this site to encourage growth, and I think it's working. The only thing is that i get new growth quickly and my locs look kind of messy all the time. No sooner than I latch them, in a couple weeks it seems I have new growth to latch again. I was latching every two months, now i'm latching every month. I noticed this jump in growth in late November.

i'm going to youtube around for some styling options that hide or make good use of not-freshly-done roots.

OhSoOthentik

What are you all using to curl your locs? I have soft spikes and I like how it turns out but they hurt my head at night sometimes (maybe I am just starting to get tender headed).

Saga

The Generous Queen
What are you all using to curl your locs? I have soft spikes and I like how it turns out but they hurt my head at night sometimes (maybe I am just starting to get tender headed).
I do bantu knots for a day or more, then when i take them down i get a nice curly look.

I have a video of myself explaining it and showing and example of how it turns out on my own hair:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yYT3wnAfbg&context=C308243bADOEgsToPDskKa3ckGNqmlKHBoNz_-vrr5

OhSoOthentik

Thanks @DanceOnTheSkylines. I have done the bantu knot out on my locs but it gives them more of a crinkly look. I get a more spiral curled look with the soft spikes. I like both results though. I am going to watch more of your videos.

Ms. Alainious

Yay! A loc thread!

I just started my locs last week, and I could use all the support I can get. I transitioned for 9 months then started with comb coils. I haven't had hair this short since I was 4 or 5, so I still catch myself doing a double take in the mirror.

I'm not a DIYer yet, I figured I'd take it over myself once I was fully locked (or whenever I get tired of driving 3 hours to get it done!)

Oh, and I'm quickly getting over my obsession with neat hair...

OhSoOthentik

Yay! A loc thread!

I just started my locs last week, and I could use all the support I can get. I transitioned for 9 months then started with comb coils. I haven't had hair this short since I was 4 or 5, so I still catch myself doing a double take in the mirror.

I'm not a DIYer yet, I figured I'd take it over myself once I was fully locked (or whenever I get tired of driving 3 hours to get it done!)

Oh, and I'm quickly getting over my obsession with neat hair...

Congratulations!!:dance7::dance7: Do you have any pictures?

Ms. Alainious

I will see him every three weeks or so in the beginning. He says he'll wash each time. That's a huge relief for me because after two weeks without a wash I'm ready to go crazy!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus